The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Topical > Gaming

Gaming Discuss all things gaming in this subsection.

Old 08/08/2017   #1
lithiumkatana17
Default Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice [PS4, Xbox One, PC]

A little surprised no one has made a thread for this game yet.

YouTube Video

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice was developed by Ninja Theory by a small team of only 20 people. It's a mid-sized game, with about 8-10 hours of gameplay, so it's only being sold at half the price of regular game.

Set during the age of Vikings, the game focuses on a Celtic warrior named Senua, and follows her journey through hell to retrieve her dead lover's soul after their village is raided and everyone is killed. And the catch? She suffers from psychosis. The multitude of voices she hears will serve to guide you through the game as much as they deter you from your goal. And also freak you the hell out. The trailers I've watched are incredibly haunting. It's not a horror game, so to speak, but it's hard not to get chills when you watch some of the scenes in the trailers and gameplay videos.

YouTube Video

Apparently the team did their research during this game, consulting with doctors and many people who actually suffer from the condition, so they do it as much justice as possible.

I mean, the story alone has me sold, but being made by a passionate dev team who wants to shed light on mental illness, and get it right as much as possible? Take my money.

I mean, this imagery is incredibly haunting.

Lith and Kimble on Lith's promotion wrote: Kimble: With great power--
Lith: COMES GREAT FUCKERY!
Kimble: ...we're doomed.
X-SOLDIER wrote: Lith lives in the land of perpetual salt.
2017 1st Place Winner of Most Likely To Burn A Mountain Village Down Upon Discovering That They Are The Product Of A Science Experiment

lithiumkatana17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 6:
Chloe Frazer (08/10/2017), Flare (08/08/2017), Octo (08/08/2017), Tennyo (08/09/2017), The Twilight Mexican (04/09/2018), X-SOLDIER (08/08/2017)
Old 08/08/2017   #2
Octo

VALHALLA I AM COMING!

looks good, nice n' gory.

(Mostly Manics related things but some other stuff and more things being added all the time! <3

https://www.redbubble.com/people/rom...dropdown&asc=u
Octo is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
lithiumkatana17 (08/08/2017), The Twilight Mexican (04/09/2018)
Old 08/08/2017   #3
Lucis Caelum

NeoGAF's review thread.

As the time of this writing, the game currently agregated average is 79 on OpenCritic and 81 on MetaCritic.

And due to the nature of heavily anticipated games and scored reviews being source of controversy among fans, Jim Stearling gave the game a 1/10, here's the explanation of why he did that.

EDIT: Tangent to the reviews. Warning about the game:

Die too much in Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice and it’ll erase your save
EDIT2: It seens the system is possibly a bluff.

Edit 3: Jim Stearling redid his review of the game, changing it to a 7/10. https://youtu.be/n4v7BQoMTGU

Last edited by Lucis Caelum; 08/08/2017 at 07:14 PM.
Lucis Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
The Twilight Mexican (04/09/2018)
Old 08/08/2017   #4
X-SOLDIER

I just saw someone playing a bit of this on Twitch's frontpage, and it looks fucking EXCELLENT.

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

Shademp – on the subject of my seemingly boundless optimism wrote: After Ungoliant had sucked the light from the trees Telperion and Laurelin, she found that there was a third tree but whose light was too potent and immortal for her to absorb. Thusly, Ungoliant left Valinor in tears for she could not absorb the light of the tree named X-SOLDIER.

#TotzCanon

~ | G+ | Facebook | Tumblr | Twitter | DA | TLS | FFOF | FF | SCL | KC | CC | ~
X-SOLDIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
lithiumkatana17 (08/08/2017), The Twilight Mexican (04/09/2018)
Old 08/08/2017   #5
lithiumkatana17

Lulcielid wrote: Warning about the game:
Die too much in Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice and it’ll erase your save
EDIT2: It seens the system is possibly a bluff.
Well, it appears I will be playing on Easy mode then.

EDIT:

Interesting video I just found about the supposed permadeath in the game.

YouTube Video

2017 1st Place Winner of Most Likely To Burn A Mountain Village Down Upon Discovering That They Are The Product Of A Science Experiment

Last edited by lithiumkatana17; 08/08/2017 at 07:22 PM.
Thanked by:
Old 08/09/2017   #6
X-SOLDIER

I watched Lomadia (Hannah of the Yogscast) do a first video on this, and also had my lady watch it as well, and she was INSTANTLY sold on the game along with me, so we picked it up. We'll likely be diving head into it by some time this weekend.

Really hoping that this sets a standard for games like this with small dev teams, and shorter overall length for less cost.

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

Shademp – on the subject of my seemingly boundless optimism wrote: After Ungoliant had sucked the light from the trees Telperion and Laurelin, she found that there was a third tree but whose light was too potent and immortal for her to absorb. Thusly, Ungoliant left Valinor in tears for she could not absorb the light of the tree named X-SOLDIER.

#TotzCanon

Thanked by 3:
Flare (08/09/2017), lithiumkatana17 (08/09/2017), The Twilight Mexican (04/09/2018)
Old 08/09/2017   #7
lithiumkatana17

X-SOLDIER wrote: I watched Lomadia (Hannah of the Yogscast) do a first video on this, and also had my lady watch it as well, and she was INSTANTLY sold on the game along with me, so we picked it up. We'll likely be diving head into it by some time this weekend.

Really hoping that this sets a standard for games like this with small dev teams, and shorter overall length for less cost.

X
I watched about an hour and half's worth of gameplay, but I don't want to watch anymore because I actually want to play it. I likely won't have the 30 bucks to spend on it until I get paid next week, so I'll have to wait.

Thanked by 2:
The Twilight Mexican (04/09/2018), X-SOLDIER (08/09/2017)
Old 08/09/2017   #8
Flare

Yeah this game looks quite interesting. It's amazing to think only 20 people made it. I love seeing indie games or games developed by small teams get some attention.
Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 3:
lithiumkatana17 (08/09/2017), The Twilight Mexican (04/09/2018), X-SOLDIER (08/09/2017)
Old 08/09/2017   #9
Cthulhu

20 people is actually a pretty big team already, . Well idk how it looks but still.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 04/14/2018   #10
lithiumkatana17

So I finally bought this game last weekend and started playing it. Haven't finished it yet, but what I've experienced so far is nothing short of amazing. The 5 BAFTAs it won recently are incredibly well-deserved. Also watched the series of development diaries for the game; Ninja Theory put an incredible amount of thought and research into this project. It's a beautiful game to play.

Here's the trailer for the game on Xbox One:

YouTube Video

Thanked by 3:
Cthulhu (04/14/2018), Minato (07/25/2018), X-SOLDIER (04/17/2018)
Old 07/25/2018   #11
X-SOLDIER

YouTube Video

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

#TotzCanon