The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Topical > Gaming

Gaming Discuss all things gaming in this subsection.

Old 03/08/2012   #1
X-SOLDIER
Default Detroit: Become Human – PS4 Game by Quantic Dream (formerly PS3 Tech Demo "KARA")

YouTube Video

Some damn impressive work, (and I'd play the shit out if this if it were a game).

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

Shademp – on the subject of my seemingly boundless optimism wrote: After Ungoliant had sucked the light from the trees Telperion and Laurelin, she found that there was a third tree but whose light was too potent and immortal for her to absorb. Thusly, Ungoliant left Valinor in tears for she could not absorb the light of the tree named X-SOLDIER.

#TotzCanon

~ | G+ | Facebook | Tumblr | Twitter | DA | TLS | FFOF | FF | SCL | KC | CC | ~
X-SOLDIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 8:
Alex Strife (03/08/2012), Bex (03/08/2012), Dark and Divine (03/11/2012), Kikki (03/09/2012), Octo (03/09/2012), Shadowfox (10/29/2015), Tennyo (03/09/2012), Tetsujin (03/08/2012)
Old 03/08/2012   #2
Tetsujin

That was some cool stuff. Facial animations looked pretty good too.
Tetsujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/08/2012   #3
Cthulhu

Small wonder they made it an android - uncanny valley right there, .
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/08/2012   #4
Alex Strife

The fact her name is "Kara" and that in both Catalan and Spanish, "Cara" (which sounds exactly the same) means "Face" is extremely amusing, to me.
Old 03/09/2012   #5
X-SOLDIER

YouTube Video

More information, and apparently Kara was made a year ago on a version of their engine that's been vastly improved since then.

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

Shademp – on the subject of my seemingly boundless optimism wrote: After Ungoliant had sucked the light from the trees Telperion and Laurelin, she found that there was a third tree but whose light was too potent and immortal for her to absorb. Thusly, Ungoliant left Valinor in tears for she could not absorb the light of the tree named X-SOLDIER.

#TotzCanon

Thanked by:
Dark and Divine (03/11/2012)
Old 03/09/2012   #6
Tennyo

Can this please be a real game and/or movie? This would be a very fascinating plot. Yes yes...
Old 03/09/2012   #7
Tetsujin

Tbh, we've had plots like this before.
Old 03/09/2012   #8
Interslicery

Elena Fisher wrote: Can this please be a real game and/or movie? This would be a very fascinating plot. Yes yes...
(SPOILER)

Honestly tho I'd like to see the plotline continue.

Interslicery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/09/2012   #9
Octo
Default KARA - by Quantic Dream

Ok, so not technically a game but it is by Quantic Dream and 'tis for the PS3 so yeah.

YouTube Video

So yeah, I can't decide if its good or 'I know now why you cry' cheesyness.

SUBMIT BRAIN THOUGHTS NOW:
Octo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/09/2012   #10
Tetsujin

http://thelifestream.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10432

Old 03/09/2012   #11
Cthulhu

Yeah but. You know it'd basically be just another modern rendition of Pinocchio, rite?

(robot Williams was good though, I must say)

(also shit that movie was from 13 years ago? I can't)
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/09/2012   #12
Octo

Ugh, sorry about the dupe thread.

I can't decide if its good or 'I know now why you cry' cheesyness. Either way its interesting but its hardly an original concept is it?
Old 03/09/2012   #13
X-SOLDIER

*merged threads*

While a portion of how much I enjoyed it is probably because I'm a huge sucker for the concept of synthetic lifeforms gaining sentience and fighting to stay alive (Roy Batty's speech in Blade Runner being one of my person favorites), I also think that Valorie Curry did a good job with her performance. Also, the setting of seeing it happening in a standard production line was something that made it really interesting.

As far as the technology itself, (as touched on in the second video), the type of simultaneous performance capture is the same type of tech that was pioneered by Avatar, and also used in Rise of the Planet of the Apes, and I think that it's something that could make games significantly more emotionally captivating.

It's interesting, with Asura's Wrath presenting a game essentially as an interactive anime, Journey focusing on a really tight movie-length emotional experience, and KARA being shown at GDC, I think that 2012 is the year where games start gaining a lot deeper traction as direct storytelling media that's much closer to what's being done with films. There's been a lot of controversial statements about video games being art, but with technologies like this, it'll be interesting to see how much "digital costuming" for actors becomes more popular, and expands the talent that we see coming in to games.

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

#TotzCanon

Thanked by:
Octo (03/09/2012)
Old 03/09/2012   #14
Octo

Personally theres no fucking way I would get one of those robots to help around the house if it's able to peform sexual functions. I doubt many women would. Its too much of a temptation innit? And the husbands could argue that it doesn't really count as cheating.

No Sir. I want my household robots to look like this
Old 03/10/2012   #15
X-SOLDIER

I'd assume that there would be some versions who have more rudimentary functions with less 'options' unless it's something that they buyer is comfortable with/interested in (or, like Kryten, maybe those functions are detachable). I can't imagine that KARA would be just a standard model.

Plus, aside from married couples, there are a good number of single folks out there who would utilize something like that. Synthetics provide the advantage of being able to take care of things at your place of residence if you're always at work and don't have time for something like that, plus they don't have the human/human trust issues of paying a housekeeper, since the synthetic would also be a resident.

Besides, What's the worst thing that could happen...?

It's an interesting hypothetical scenario none-the-less.

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

#TotzCanon

Thanked by:
Octo (03/10/2012)