The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Topical > Entertainment

Entertainment Poast about movies, television, animé, books, and pyrotechnics in the distance here. Music topics go in The Venue.

Old 12/19/2017   #46
Claymore

Lex wrote:
Claymore wrote:
ChipNoir wrote:
Joss's star has wained a little in light of allegations, so I'm not sure Disney would be prepared to bring him back to continue that franchise.
Ah shit, I can't believe I only just heard about this. There are already essays popping up casting new lights on all his projects ... I just can't ...
As much as I respect Joss Whedon's work in general, the news wasn't super surprising (though no less disappointing) to me because I've been unable to reconcile what happened to Cordelia's character on Angel with Joss The Super Feminist since I first watched Angel. And that was before even finding out about the bullshit treatment of Charisma Carpenter behind the scenes.

forever bitter
Yeah, that was without a doubt such a horrible thing to do to the character, and it made it even worse when I begun to hear rumblings about what happened to Charisma.

I usually tend to not read and avoid any behind-the-scenes details, for the very fear of tarnishing what I love. His catalogue of shows have meant a lot to me, and like it or not, this is going to have an impact on subsequent rewatches.
Claymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
Chloe Frazer (12/19/2017), Lex (12/19/2017)
Old 12/19/2017   #47
Agrippa

ChipNoir wrote:
Charles Xavier wrote: So Anastasia is technically now a Disney Princess?
I think it's like an Amity Islander thing. If you're not born there, you ain't an islander.
I tend to go by that standard too. Female Disney protagonists qualify as Disney princesses in my book, so long as their film debut was released by Disney proper or a subsidiary of Disney at the time. By that standard Shelly Webster of The Crow, Kate Fuller of From Dusk Till Dawn, Vivian Ward of Pretty Woman, the 2002 film versions of Velma Kelly and Roxie Heart of Chicago, Sidney Prescott of the Scream franchise, Beatrix Kiddo of Kill Bill and finally, for now at least, Mia Wallace and Fabienne of Pulp Fiction are more fitting of the title of Disney princess than 20th Century Fox's Anastasia.
Agrippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
Cthulhu (12/21/2017), looneymoon (12/19/2017)
Old 12/19/2017   #48
Shademp

*feels like he dodged a bullet by never being particularly invested in Joss Whedon stuff*
Shademp is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 5:
Channy (12/21/2017), f a n c y (07/27/2018), looneymoon (12/19/2017), Mr. Ite (06/28/2018), X-SOLDIER (12/19/2017)
Old 12/20/2017   #49
Claymore

Shademp wrote: *feels like he dodged a bullet by never being particularly invested in Joss Whedon stuff*
Now that's just weird!
Old 12/20/2017   #50
Lex

Shademp wrote: *feels like he dodged a bullet by never being particularly invested in Joss Whedon stuff*
Normally I'd be inclined to VEHEMENTLY DISAGREE because I still rewatch Buffy, Angel and Firefly to this very day and would recommend that most people do so, but yeah I can kind of see that line of thinking these days. It's a shame. The Buffyverse as a contributor to the landscape of serialised television is second to none but it definitely had some glaring cracks in the veneer and now those cracks are slowly being filled with poison. The poison being both the stuff about Whedon and a modern perspective.

(might be better to move this discussion to the buffyverse thread if anyone wants to continue it)

But yeah to continue this derail for a hot minute, it's really hard to go back and watch some of the classic shows without grimacing at how out of touch they are with current social issues. The Buffyverse shows aren't anywhere near as bad as say, "Friends", but they still have some moments that are a hallmark of their time, even though Buffy was a show that broke ground for being progressive.

Especially for me, by the awesome GLD!
Serving legendaries with mah Pokécrew.
Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 4:
ChipNoir (12/21/2017), looneymoon (12/21/2017), Shademp (12/21/2017), X-SOLDIER (12/20/2017)
Old 12/21/2017   #51
Cthulhu

I'd argue Buffy and co were right at the tail end of campy 24 episode TV series, so some transition stuff is to be expected.

It's not as bad as Xena anyway

*runs*
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Channy (12/21/2017)
Old 12/21/2017   #52
Claymore

*grabs popcorn*

Thanked by 3:
Channy (12/21/2017), Cthulhu (12/22/2017), Shademp (12/22/2017)
Old 12/21/2017   #53
Channy

So, why do you come here?
Same as you, I think. I've been here a lot...
You must have a lot going on your mind, I suppose.
Yeah, but I'd rather have nothing for a change. How do you do it?
Well, it comes with practice. I can think of nothing.
I do not feel the need to occupy my mind with nonsense, just to avoid thinking about what really matters.

Channy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 3:
Cthulhu (12/22/2017), Shademp (12/22/2017), X-SOLDIER (12/22/2017)
Old 12/25/2017   #54
The Twilight Mexican

Wait, what allegations about Joss Whedon did I miss? Google isn't giving me anything.
Thanked by:
X-SOLDIER (12/26/2017)
Old 12/26/2017   #55
Lex

Cthulhu wrote: I'd argue Buffy and co were right at the tail end of campy 24 episode TV series, so some transition stuff is to be expected.

It's not as bad as Xena anyway

*runs*
Campy 24 episode TV shows continue to this day so idk what you're on about *shrug*. Supernatural is in its 13th season with no signs of stopping soon.

The Twilight Mexican wrote: Wait, what allegations about Joss Whedon did I miss? Google isn't giving me anything.
I think people are referring to the statement from his wife, which certainly paints an ugly picture. It's not Harvey Weinstein material, but it's also not as simple as "ex is angry", and I have seen people trying to rationalise it as such.

To be honest I've been rewatching Buffy and there's a lot in it that's surprisingly misogynistic considering what the show is supposed to represent. Mainly Xander. The character is of course intentionally written that way but when you consider that Joss is on record multiple times basically saying that Xander is Joss it starts to become slightly disturbing - it feels more than just "Xander is an immature dick". Joss is clearly a guy who at that time really did his best to challenge some stereotypes but also grapples with... well, being a closet misogynist. And it's one of these things that's hard to talk about because once upon a time I was that fan that idolised him - I still think he's a phenomenal TV writer - but laid bare, it's very interesting.

Especially for me, by the awesome GLD!
Serving legendaries with mah Pokécrew.

Last edited by Lex; 12/26/2017 at 12:29 AM.
Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 6:
Chloe Frazer (12/26/2017), Cthulhu (12/27/2017), looneymoon (12/26/2017), Shademp (12/27/2017), The Twilight Mexican (12/26/2017), X-SOLDIER (12/26/2017)
Old 12/26/2017   #56
The Twilight Mexican

Oh. Those.
Thanked by:
X-SOLDIER (12/26/2017)
Old 06/27/2018   #57
X-SOLDIER

We're now one step closer to X-Men being in the MCU: https://uproxx.com/movies/disney-fox...ce-department/

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

Shademp – on the subject of my seemingly boundless optimism wrote: After Ungoliant had sucked the light from the trees Telperion and Laurelin, she found that there was a third tree but whose light was too potent and immortal for her to absorb. Thusly, Ungoliant left Valinor in tears for she could not absorb the light of the tree named X-SOLDIER.

#TotzCanon

~ | G+ | Facebook | Tumblr | Twitter | DA | TLS | FFOF | FF | SCL | KC | CC | ~
X-SOLDIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
Channy (06/29/2018), The Twilight Mexican (06/29/2018)
Old 06/28/2018   #58
Ghost X

The condition being Disney doing something so as to not be a monopoly? *looks at Disney* Hohohohohoho ad infinitum.

2017 1st Runner-Up -- Member You'd Most Want to Meet.

2017 1st Runner-Up -- Best Voice.

2017 2nd Place Winner -- Most Likely To Back Out Of A Fight But Remain... Victorious.
Ghost X is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
BforBrigitta (07/28/2018)
Old 07/27/2018   #59
Interslicery

https://variety.com/2018/biz/news/21...te-1202888023/

Its a go.

Interslicery is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 4:
Claymore (07/27/2018), Cthulhu (07/28/2018), The Twilight Mexican (07/28/2018), X-SOLDIER (07/27/2018)
Old 07/27/2018   #60
Claymore

Finally! X-Men welcome back!
Thanked by 3:
f a n c y (07/27/2018), The Twilight Mexican (07/28/2018), X-SOLDIER (07/27/2018)