The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Compilation of Final Fantasy VII > Final Fantasy VII Remake

Final Fantasy VII Remake The remake of FFVII announced at E3 on June 15th, 2015 -- OUR WHOLE LIVES HAVE BEEN LEADING UP TO THIS MOMENT!!

Old 04/23/2018   #16
Lex

Send it my way and I'll give it a look <3

Especially for me, by the awesome GLD!
Serving legendaries with mah Pokécrew.
Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
The Twilight Mexican (04/23/2018), X-SOLDIER (04/23/2018)
Old 04/23/2018   #17
Shademp

I would have replied quicker but I had gone to sleep just before I got the PM
Shademp is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
The Twilight Mexican (04/23/2018), X-SOLDIER (04/23/2018)
Old 04/23/2018   #18
X-SOLDIER

No worries. I think I got it all together decently, and tossed it up:
https://thelifestream.net/news/final...-ffvii-remake/

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

Shademp – on the subject of my seemingly boundless optimism wrote: After Ungoliant had sucked the light from the trees Telperion and Laurelin, she found that there was a third tree but whose light was too potent and immortal for her to absorb. Thusly, Ungoliant left Valinor in tears for she could not absorb the light of the tree named X-SOLDIER.

#TotzCanon

~ | G+ | Facebook | Tumblr | Twitter | DA | TLS | FFOF | FF | SCL | KC | CC | ~
X-SOLDIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 5:
ForceStealer (04/23/2018), Minato (04/25/2018), Shademp (04/23/2018), Teioh (04/23/2018), The Twilight Mexican (04/23/2018)
Old 04/23/2018   #19
ForceStealer

Good stuff, X.

I really really like the idea of running into Cloud's Tifa flashback in the Sector 5 reactor not being telegraphed. And that you're just navigating the reactor, it becomes what we would recognize as the Nibelheim one, and only after you reach the confusing imagery are you back in Sector 5 with a confused Barret and Tifa. As you say, that was a super cool moment in Arkham Asylum, and Uncharted 3 did things like this in the two sequences where Drake is drugged.

hitoshura wrote: Don't belittle my peoples, bitch. We work hard and we do what we're told. And might possibly be Scottish.
ultima espio wrote: I'm not sure if it was a BOMB, it could have been MAKO, KING, BEST, or ORBS.
ForceStealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 3:
Shademp (04/23/2018), The Twilight Mexican (04/23/2018), X-SOLDIER (04/23/2018)
Old 04/23/2018   #20
X-SOLDIER

*Updated the thread title to match the article*

The Sector 5 Reactor scene, and the bits in Cloud's head really started to stand out as I was writing this. I haven't really thought much about how differently the tones in the Remake are gonna have to deal with such a wide set of different things that the original nailed, but have been VASTLY expanded in modern games.

Trail of Blood always stood out because it's just straight up horror, but the sections of reactor hallucination, Nibelheim, and other things are REALLY big the first time you play the game in the ways that the game plays with your perception of Cloud, and how the tone of the game hits you on SO MANY different fronts.

You think Cloud's a little crazy, then you think you understand why because of Nibelheim, then you think that he's MORE crazy because Nibelheim's fine, then you learn that Shinra just covered it up so Cloud's ok, then you find out that he's still definitely mentally wrecked, then he goes all comatose, then you end up inside his head.

There's a TON of stuff there that can be really unpacked in interesting ways with a modern game, and immersing the player into those elements through Cloud's perspective several times is something that I'm really interested in.

The other bits like the Sleeping Forest & Temple of the Ancients intrigue me because they're where we get oddness that applies to everyone, and it's similar but different than Cloud's hallucinations. We still get weird things, but they feel magical rather than illusory, supernatural rather than hallucinatory. All stuff that the game could choose not to do, but also is all stuff that I think would be spectacular to see.

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

Shademp – on the subject of my seemingly boundless optimism wrote: After Ungoliant had sucked the light from the trees Telperion and Laurelin, she found that there was a third tree but whose light was too potent and immortal for her to absorb. Thusly, Ungoliant left Valinor in tears for she could not absorb the light of the tree named X-SOLDIER.

#TotzCanon

Thanked by 5:
ForceStealer (04/23/2018), Obsidian Fire (04/23/2018), Shademp (04/23/2018), Teioh (04/23/2018), The Twilight Mexican (04/23/2018)
Old 04/23/2018   #21
ForceStealer

I never actually realized that flashback and physical Nibelheim were different. /shame

hitoshura wrote: Don't belittle my peoples, bitch. We work hard and we do what we're told. And might possibly be Scottish.
ultima espio wrote: I'm not sure if it was a BOMB, it could have been MAKO, KING, BEST, or ORBS.
ForceStealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 4:
leadmyskeptic (04/24/2018), Minato (04/25/2018), The Twilight Mexican (04/23/2018), X-SOLDIER (04/23/2018)
Old 04/23/2018   #22
X-SOLDIER

It is one of those odd little facts about the game that isn't immediately apparent (why I compared it to the subtle architectural oddities in The Shining). For whatever reason, it's always the chimneys on the building on the bottom left that stands out in my mind, and I always feel like there're lots more of those inconsistencies than there actually are when you look at them side-by-side.

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

#TotzCanon

Thanked by 2:
ForceStealer (04/24/2018), The Twilight Mexican (04/24/2018)