The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Archive > TLS Archive > Marquis Halim Ondore IV's Lies

Marquis Halim Ondore IV's Lies I'm Captain Basch. Don't believe Ondore's lies!

Old 12/05/2010   #16
DLPB

OK so there are 5 FMV in PC which are not in PSX as actual movies.

last4_2.avi - Inside the planet, background animation loop 1

last4_3.avi - Inside the planet, background animation loop 2

lastmap.avi - Sephiroth with Holy, background animation loop

Explode.avi - FFVII logo at credit screen.

white2.avi - Water Screen at Forgotten City, animation loop

Total PSX FMV for FF7 stands at 98, PC is 103.
Thanked by 2:
Shademp (12/05/2010), The Twilight Mexican (12/05/2010)
Old 12/05/2010   #17
Shademp

Do you know if the background animations still exist within the PC version, just unused?

On another matter, I wish to correct you about the PAL vs NTSC speed. The PAL version does play slower than NTSC. This is, from my understanding, why the timer is off in PAL and is thus not due to a bug. Since PAL plays at 50 fps, and NTSC at 60 fps, 1 minute in NTSC is 1 minute 12 seconds in PAL.

This lower speed makes Speed Square slightly easier.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIGKdGtpcJk

However, the music does not play any slower. This is why the timing is off when using the Knights of Round.

Things get more complicated though with the FMVs. Despite the lower frame rate, the music and FMVs are not out of sync. The PAL and NTSC FMVs are of equal length. My conclusion then is that PAL simply skips frames, making the sequence appear less fluid than its American counterpart.
Thanked by 2:
DLPB (12/05/2010), The Twilight Mexican (12/05/2010)
Old 12/05/2010   #18
DLPB

Minigames do play slower yes, but I don't think the actual game does?

As for FMV, they are the same, they play at 15fps regardless (and probably doubled framed etc at runtime to match the TV). It will be choppy on a PAL TV probably.

I will check this soon... I will play FF7 PAL and actually time it properly. If the whole game plays slower, thats poor and downright lazy.

Last edited by DLPB; 12/05/2010 at 08:18 AM.
Old 12/05/2010   #19
Shademp

DLPB wrote: Minigames do play slower yes, but I don't think the actual game does?
Since I have nothing else but my word to give, because I have personally compared the gameplay speed difference both in and outside of battle, I suppose I should upload a video or two demonstrating this difference. Yet another video on my "to-do" list.

As for FMV, they are the same, they play at 15fps regardless (and probably doubled framed etc at runtime to match the TV). It will be choppy on a PAL TV probably.
15 fps? I may be missing some technical aspects here, but when my PSX emulator displays frame rate it stays at either 50 (PAL) or 60 (NTSC) fps when viewing FMVs.
Thanked by 2:
DLPB (12/05/2010), The Twilight Mexican (12/05/2010)
Old 12/05/2010   #20
DLPB

Yeah the emulator is simply keeping the output frame rate at those levels but in reality the FMV are actually half NTSC in FF7 PSX, standing at 14.985 fps. Some of them, like elevators are up to 17fps or thereabouts. In PC, they were all made to be 15fps regardless.

As for game speed, if you have tested it, I believe you. They must have started the music at a different time to keep Barrett and the music in sync at the start?
Old 12/10/2010   #21
DLPB

God I am sorry about this.... Anyway I just finished the restoration and there was 1 more FMV not in PSX

fship2.avi - Highwind view [PC only. Updated.]

Remember though, that although the PSX version has 97 total and PC has 103, the reason for it is that the remaining videos were played by the console in a different non-video format. Since the PC porters had trouble with these specific scenes they decided to just make them into streamed video.
Thanked by:
Shademp (12/10/2010)
Old 12/10/2010   #22
Tetsujin

The PAL version is definitely slower...FFXII was actually the first FF game to have the speed properly adjusted for PAL regions.
Old 12/10/2010   #23
Shademp

I absolutely cannot STAND playing the Pal version anymore. I downloaded FFVII from the European Playstation Store because I thought I might want to revisit FFVII in this format (also because the PS3 does not read my game discs perfectly, causing glitches and freezes), but it is honestly HORRIBLE.

Either give me NTSC or an emulated version. At least with the PSX emulators I can speed up the game significantly.

Tetsujin wrote: The PAL version is definitely slower...FFXII was actually the first FF game to have the speed properly adjusted for PAL regions.
Thanks for that info about FFXII. Interesting.

Last edited by Shademp; 12/10/2010 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12/10/2010   #24
Tetsujin

Shademp wrote:
Thanks for that info about FFXII. Interesting.
Actually...I think it might have been FFX-2. O.o
I'm not really sure anymore. xD
Old 12/10/2010   #25
DLPB

Although I think the timer was adjusted to work properly in 9. (I thinkkkk).
Old 12/12/2010   #26
Shademp

Things added:
- List of PC-specific FMVs
- Disc FMV Mechanics and Disc Swap trick
- Mention of the French and Spanish localizations for the PC.
Edit: DLPB is now credited for his contributions. Many thanks.

I thank X-Soldier for accepting my request to make this thread into a Sticky.

Also, here is an FFVII video I uploaded that by the end contains some empty text boxes which most likely are filled with text in the Japanese version (although I do not yet have the means to unlock this text in that version).

YouTube Video

Last edited by Shademp; 12/13/2010 at 07:23 AM.
Thanked by 2:
Dark and Divine (12/13/2010), The Twilight Mexican (12/16/2010)
Old 12/13/2010   #27
DLPB

I had a word with the creator of Makou reactor about the script you mentioned, and he has shown me how to fix the error in just 1 move You were right, the error does occur in the church.

Does that person you mentioned know of any more script errors of this nature?

Last edited by DLPB; 12/13/2010 at 03:44 AM.