The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Final Fantasy > Neo Final Fantasy (VIII - XV)

Neo Final Fantasy (VIII - XV) Discussion area for all Final Fantasy titles after Final Fantasy VII.

Old 11/06/2016   #151
Jason Tandro

Doing my usual Final Fantasy retrospective journaling on Live Journal. Here's my first entry for this game: http://jasontandroplay.livejournal.com/39410.html

And yeah Triple Triad is fun af but the rules are obnoxious though as I've gotten better the only two rules that I still hate are Random and Same Wall. Same and Plus can be hugely to your advantage if you know how to play them and can turn a one-sided losing streak into a come from behind victory.

And we all know how much Irvine likes to come from behind.
Jason Tandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 4:
Happy Little Lemon (11/06/2016), Mr. Ite (11/06/2016), Tetsujin (11/06/2016), The Twilight Mexican (11/08/2016)
Old 11/07/2016   #152
Tetsujin

Done with the mission in Timber. Love the convoluted plan to kidnap the president

Also, the bit with the guards on the train using sensors, requiring you to either stop or move to avoid detection...you can literally just run straight over them as soon as you have control. Completely pointless.

The thing about the Galbadians' plan...they wanna broadcast via radio to make a worldwide announcement and reach areas that are not connected by cable.
Buuuut...since radio waves went kaput 17 years ago, who would even be watching? I'd assume people without cable would just...not have tv?
Sure, if there was an advance announcement of them fixing the jamming problem and people would know to keep their old-ass antennas ready or something like that...but it seems like the whole thing was a surprise and happened on short notice.

The whole thing seems kinda dumb
Tetsujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 4:
ForceStealer (11/07/2016), Happy Little Lemon (11/07/2016), Russell (11/09/2016), Shademp (11/07/2016)
Old 11/07/2016   #153
Kuja9001

Tetsujin wrote: I like how Squall has unique limit break animations for some bosses. In the case of El Viole (or whatever the English version might call him cba to look it up) he jumps up and knocks him down to the ground before slicing right through. It's pretty neat.
YouTube Video

Norg has one too.
Kuja9001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 4:
Flintlock (11/07/2016), RedFFWolf (11/07/2016), Shademp (11/07/2016), The Twilight Mexican (11/08/2016)
Old 11/07/2016   #154
Happy Little Lemon

@Tetsujin I'm of the opinion that the Galbadian government is just a badly run madhouse See also General Caraway running around the street in front of the Presidential Palace explaining the top secret plan to shoot the Sorceress dead. Presumably at the top of his voice, and apparently having cut off traffic to the area, since there aren't any buses running while he does this, not at all suspicious, or obvious

No wonder the crowd is cheering during Ultimecia's speech, never mind magic, they were probably just looking forward to seeing her brains fly everywhere!
Happy Little Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
The Twilight Mexican (11/08/2016)
Old 11/07/2016   #155
Flintlock

I never actually knew that Squall has different limit animations for some bosses. I guess I've always paid more attention to the trigger bar.
Flintlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 3:
ForceStealer (11/08/2016), Russell (11/09/2016), The Twilight Mexican (11/08/2016)
Old 11/07/2016   #156
RedFFWolf

Kuja9001 wrote:
Tetsujin wrote: I like how Squall has unique limit break animations for some bosses. In the case of El Viole (or whatever the English version might call him cba to look it up) he jumps up and knocks him down to the ground before slicing right through. It's pretty neat.
YouTube Video

Norg has one too.
Loved that video so much. I remember noticing the different animations after Squall knocked Elvoret to the ground, but never took paid as much care or attention until the Bahamut battle, which was really blatant. Always such a joy to see certain boss fights have such animations (especially Ultima Weapon attempting to fight back) - once you see it in any battle, the battle can only be completed via Renzokuken. And hitting the trigger each time for it gives a very satisfying rush, ooooh.

I also love the quick, intense sounds of the Renzokuken against Adel, as if a furious demand for the release of Rinoa.
RedFFWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
The Twilight Mexican (11/08/2016)
Old 11/07/2016   #157
Cthulhu

lawls he's like running across Bahamut's wing like a boss.

I never noticed the animations, was probably too busy getting those FUCKING triggers right. I don't even remember the trigger bar thing.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
Russell (11/09/2016), The Twilight Mexican (11/08/2016)
Old 11/07/2016   #158
Clement Rage

Wow, I'd forgotten how good the music was.

Never noticed that animations, that's some serious attention to detail.

Since the broadcast is basically a threat, they want to broadcast to other countries on different cable networks. Dollet at least will be paying attention as it's their comm tower.
Clement Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
Russell (11/09/2016), The Twilight Mexican (11/08/2016)
Old 11/07/2016   #159
Tetsujin

Clement Rage wrote: Since the broadcast is basically a threat, they want to broadcast to other countries on different cable networks. Dollet at least will be paying attention as it's their comm tower.
They're not broadcasting to cable, they're broadcasting via radio to areas that don't have cable. =P
But none of these should be receiving in the first place.
Tetsujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
ForceStealer (11/08/2016), The Twilight Mexican (11/08/2016)
Old 11/08/2016   #160
ForceStealer

I definitely never knew about the special animations either.

hitoshura wrote: Don't belittle my peoples, bitch. We work hard and we do what we're told. And might possibly be Scottish.
ultima espio wrote: I'm not sure if it was a BOMB, it could have been MAKO, KING, BEST, or ORBS.
ForceStealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/08/2016   #161
Mr. Ite

I noticed only on Disc 3, when fighting Cactuar King and Bahamut. I so rarely use limit breaks that I haven't seen most of these. Thanks for the vid!
Mr. Ite is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
Shademp (11/10/2016), The Twilight Mexican (11/09/2016)
Old 11/09/2016   #162
Russell

I love this game but it hasn't aged to well...

(SPOILER)

Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
Cthulhu (11/10/2016), The Twilight Mexican (11/10/2016)
Old 11/09/2016   #163
Flintlock

^ Most of that is just JPEG artefacts. Compare this screenshot. Probably emulated but still.
Flintlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
Blade (11/11/2016), The Twilight Mexican (11/10/2016)
Old 11/09/2016   #164
Lex

^That's definitely emulation. The anti-aliasing is so strong.

Especially for me, by the awesome GLD!
Serving legendaries with mah Pokécrew.
Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
The Twilight Mexican (11/10/2016)
Old 11/10/2016   #165
Cthulhu

Notice also the difference between the (static/2d) background and the rendered 3D models. I do like to think the emulated version is closer to how everyone remembers it though . I mean the models were just so much better compared to FFVII's, and FFVII was (or looks like) one of the first games even using 3D. When you compare FFVII with FFIX, you can see how much they managed to improve themselves in terms of what they could do with the hardware. Although it might have had to do with how much money they could invest into developing the games and their technologies, too.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
Mr. Ite (11/10/2016), The Twilight Mexican (11/10/2016)