The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Final Fantasy > Neo Final Fantasy (VIII - XV)

Neo Final Fantasy (VIII - XV) Discussion area for all Final Fantasy titles after Final Fantasy VII.

Old 12/27/2015   #16
Kuja9001

The Twilight Mexican wrote: The phonetics of it in Japanese (キスティス; ki-su-ti-su) point to "kee-stis." I've always said "kwis-tis," though, and expect I always will.

Her last name, Trepe, is the really odd one here, though.トゥリープ is tu-ree-pu -- so, something like "tree poo." =|
I say exactly that.
Kuja9001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
The Twilight Mexican (12/27/2015)
Old 12/30/2015   #17
Clement Rage

Y'know, I liked how resourceful the Galbadian military is in that game. They're no match for SeeD, and they know it, but they use the resources they have really effectively.
Clement Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
The Twilight Mexican (12/31/2015)
Old 01/14/2016   #18
Lex

Especially for me, by the awesome GLD!
Serving legendaries with mah Pokécrew.
Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 7:
Cthulhu (01/14/2016), Ghost X (01/14/2016), Kuja9001 (01/14/2016), Mr. Ite (01/15/2016), RedFFWolf (01/14/2016), Shademp (02/05/2016), The Twilight Mexican (01/15/2016)
Old 01/14/2016   #19
RedFFWolf

^Gorgeous.
Saved to the oul' pictures folder.

The music for Galbadia Garden came on my iPod the other day while I was relaxing on the train after work, and it prompted my daydreams to traverse through the Garden. The urge to play the game was pretty strong. Anyone else have a scene or piece of music from the game that really drives you to want to play the game?
RedFFWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 3:
Cthulhu (01/14/2016), Lex (01/14/2016), The Twilight Mexican (01/15/2016)
Old 01/15/2016   #20
Mr. Ite

RedFFWolf wrote: Anyone else have a scene or piece of music from the game that really drives you to want to play the game?
Pretty much every track except for battle music, which only makes me think of Draw.
Mr. Ite is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
RedFFWolf (01/15/2016), The Twilight Mexican (01/15/2016)
Old 01/30/2016   #21
Lex

FFVIII + Pokémon

Source

Especially for me, by the awesome GLD!
Serving legendaries with mah Pokécrew.
Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 8:
Ami (02/01/2016), Claymore (01/30/2016), Cthulhu (01/31/2016), Ghost X (02/01/2016), Kuja9001 (02/04/2016), Obsidian Fire (02/01/2016), Shademp (02/01/2016), The Twilight Mexican (02/04/2016)
Old 02/01/2016   #22
ultima espio

Here's a little something nobody noticed, remember in the demo for FF8 Rinoa was in the party during the raid on Dollet, and she appeared in the FMV at the end? Well it turns out she's still there in the final version, they didn't remove her properly.

YouTube Video

If you watch this from 21 minutes in, at 0.25 speed you can just see her faintly behind Selphie. You can see a part of her shadow as well. You can see it clearer here:

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?to...3426#msg223426

Demo version for comparison:
YouTube Video
ultima espio is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 8:
Ami (02/01/2016), ForceStealer (02/04/2016), Ghost X (02/01/2016), Lex (02/06/2016), RedFFWolf (02/05/2016), Shademp (02/01/2016), Teioh (02/01/2016), The Twilight Mexican (02/04/2016)
Old 02/04/2016   #23
leadmyskeptic

Favorite town/location??
leadmyskeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2016   #24
ForceStealer

That's pretty cool espio. Thanks for that

@lead: I guess Deling? Definitely the most modern city feel the FF series has ever captured. The buses were an especially nice touch (even if they all had the same number ) I think VIII's very numerous prerendered screens (as opposed to VII's tendency to show the whole town at once) could be a bit tiresome, but it definitely makes a location feel bigger, which Deling captured.

hitoshura wrote: Don't belittle my peoples, bitch. We work hard and we do what we're told. And might possibly be Scottish.
ultima espio wrote: I'm not sure if it was a BOMB, it could have been MAKO, KING, BEST, or ORBS.
ForceStealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
RedFFWolf (02/05/2016), The Twilight Mexican (02/04/2016)
Old 02/04/2016   #25
Kuja9001

So what exactly happens if you let the time expire during the train hijacking? I can't find anything nor can I test it myself due to the PS3 acting shoddy.

Fav city - Easily Esthar

Fav Location - Ultimecia's Castle. She might be a crazy witch but she does have great taste.
Kuja9001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
RedFFWolf (02/05/2016), The Twilight Mexican (02/04/2016)
Old 02/05/2016   #26
leadmyskeptic

Deling was DEFINITELY cool. If I remember correctly, that was the one that was based on Paris? (Since a bunch of the major FF8 locations were based on real-life cities). Had that whole 'constant night' vibe going, but where Midgar's was seedy and dangerous, Deling's was...classy? Shopping center!!

Esthar is intriguing, but I remember always feeling a bit creeped out by it...might have to do with the in-game history, though, and the Laguna bits before you actually get there.

I feel like saying Balamb Garden is like saying Midgar, so I won't say it, although I think the live-in-school vibe it creates throughout 8 doesn't get enough love.

My favorites would probably have to be Dollet, just on architecture alone, and then Shumi Village...much like Cosmo Canyon in 7, Shumi Village in 8 had the type of appearance and vibe that made me think, if I was a character in this world, this is the place I'd want to go and just hunker down and live forever, tucked away from all that chaos and craziness happening out there in the world...
Thanked by 2:
RedFFWolf (02/05/2016), The Twilight Mexican (02/05/2016)
Old 02/05/2016   #27
RedFFWolf

Kuja9001 wrote: So what exactly happens if you let the time expire during the train hijacking? I can't find anything nor can I test it myself due to the PS3 acting shoddy.
As far as I am aware, the segment just restarts [with characters being unaware of this - sort of like Link falling into lava in OoT is like "Whoops, let's pretend that didn't just happen] - the consequence though is that you don't gain a SeeD rank.

I also don't know whether I saw this somewhere online too or tested for myself a good while back; most likely the latter
I think it just fades to black (but music still playing) with the options "Start Over" or "Quit", with the former giving you an extended time limit [and the aforementioned consequence of SeeD rank] and the latter bringing you to the Game Over screen.

Now I've just found these to help support this idea:
http://www.nightsolo.net/games/ff8/part3.html
http://www.gamewinners.com/walkthrou..._8/page3-5.htm
(And even this: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/W...aramina/Part_7 - but it's not as sure of itself as the above two)

leadmyskeptic wrote: Favorite town/location??
Balamb Garden is the Hogwarts of Final Fantasy!

If anyone has ever glossed over the Balamb Garden Kiosk at the start of the game, I'd encourage you to take your time to explore it again. It really brings a lot of life to Garden from sheer messages alone. Raijin being warned off for not returning his books; the Trepies (Quistis appreciation club) needing to be put into place by moderator Xu; Selphie chronicling her life as a transfer student (and even later in the game updating this with inclusions from the rest of the gang); Seifer leaving a message trying to find out who one boasting troublemaker is; and the demand for hot dogs being a major source of trouble. It's one of those enjoyable reads I missed and didn't appreciate on my earlier playthroughs.

Deling City has a very cool vibe.
Galbadia Garden is as tense full as it is empty.
Esthar City needs to exist in this world.

I've come to appreciate the atmosphere of Timber while its under martial law (especially with the accompanying music of the same name) - going to the Timber Maniacs building, the editor's room, is a favourite. But as for its aesthetics it's not up there with others as a location, as much as I like trains.
But, with that being said, a lot of these locations I enjoy are primarily because of the atmosphere generated, and mostly thanks to the music. (Such as why I love Winhill during the Laguna sequence but am a lot less interested visiting it later with Squall)

Last edited by RedFFWolf; 02/05/2016 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Hadn't finished a paragraph :P
Thanked by 4:
Flintlock (02/05/2016), Ghost X (02/06/2016), Obsidian Fire (02/05/2016), The Twilight Mexican (02/05/2016)
Old 02/05/2016   #28
leadmyskeptic

Yes, the Kiosk is great! Wimbly Donner failing out due to Garden Festival obsession. Also, isn't the loudmouth Zell if I remember correctly? Or am I thinking of something else? Actually, there's a lot of stuff you can easily miss in the Garden that adds to that atmosphere...the girl in the library, the cafeteria lady and her stories about her son...the fact that you could explore it as Irvine (with corresponding different dialogue) was something I didn't even realize til my last playthrough
Thanked by 3:
Obsidian Fire (02/05/2016), RedFFWolf (02/06/2016), The Twilight Mexican (02/05/2016)
Old 02/06/2016   #29
RedFFWolf

Indeed - I remember that name, Wimbly Donner, and as soon as I googled it to discover more I found the wiki link had the text by Wimbly in the study panel - it even foreshadows elements of Selphie's experience. There are a lot of scenes I tend to miss out on. Squall being told off by Instructor Aki for swinging his gunblade about (and later, for showing magic), and getting Zell together with the girl in the library and the scenes in the Balamb Hotel afterwards. There's another one I had in mind before typing this but forgot, but perhaps not for long if the urge to play FFVIII fully consumes me now
You know you're dealing with a fantasy game/land when you really want to go the corresponding school there

Oh, and it's not Zell who is the loudmouth.
There we go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WACjxaX-Rt4&t=6m7s found it. So it was in the same discussion the Trepies were having and Xu intervened too.
Thanked by 2:
Kuja9001 (02/06/2016), The Twilight Mexican (02/08/2016)
Old 02/08/2016   #30
leadmyskeptic

Ah, great find! I would imagine most Let's Players skip right over the study panel for fear of boring viewers, but honestly, things like that are the main reason I'm drawn to RPG's....I put UP with things like battles to spend time at things like in-universe message boards haha. It's almost strange seeing it as a YT video, because since these are single-player games, a lot of the events are things you end up experiencing by yourself, it was almost strange seeing it so public. (Other people know about this too?!) 7 and 8 are both universes I've found myself daydreaming about living in. I would totally attend Balamb Garden. And I would most likely pull a total Wimbly Donner and screw up the Seed exam haha.

Oh, and there's a few other oft-missed scenes especially in Fisherman's Horizon...and then, if you go to Shumi Village and come back, there's the whole thing with the Master Fisherman and the Grease Monkey. I actually really dig 'plot based' side quests
Thanked by 3:
Obsidian Fire (02/08/2016), RedFFWolf (02/08/2016), The Twilight Mexican (02/08/2016)