The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Archive > TLS Archive > RP Forum > RP Signups & Discussion

RP Signups & Discussion All discussion threads of Novice RP, Spam RP, ORPG, and URPG recruitment are found here. RPB challenges are also issued and discussed within.

Old 07/06/2011   #61
Omega

Yes, but we also shouldn't be using that to force or coerce people into killing their characters, either. "It's not dark enough" seems like a bad reason, imo - it's just as bad to arbitrarily force elements to the story to say that they are there as it is to not have them to begin with.

If that makes sense.

That said, I'm not sure which of my characters is going to die in the big confrontation, but one will, and the other will survive. Both will make it to s3, however.
Old 07/06/2011   #62
NoenGaruth

If it helps, of my large list of characters, about 90 percent of them will be dead before reaching the end of S3 (not counting the epilogue)

Hey who wants to come home with me?!
Ok that wasn't very smart but totally worth it!
Thanked by 3:
Alex (07/06/2011), Baldy (07/06/2011), Tennyo (07/06/2011)
Old 07/06/2011   #63
Baldy

EVERYONE dies in the Epilogue.

How's that for dark.

Keen, I agree wholeheartedly with what you're saying - it wouldn't help if we just forced a death in there to be more serious. I think a better way of saying what I said before, then, would be that one or two major, main character deaths in S2 would really drive home the point, and that it's a thing people should think about: if they can see their character's death as something that would work and be natural, and not like... take away their hopes and dreams for S3.

It's not that things need to be darker, it's that so far the Destrillians have been pretty much untouchable as far as the present opposition goes, and if that continues all the way through to S3 then people will stop feeling for the situation. Not necessarily for the characters, because there's more going on than plot - there's the subtle emotional developments and things - but they need to be in a situation where it is possible for them to get seriously hurt and to die, and that needs to be made very, very clear. Otherwise, so what if so and so is kidnapped, or so and so is fighting this guy over here?
Make more sense?

Disappear with the stars and come back alive.
Thanked by 3:
Alessa Gillespie (07/06/2011), Alex (07/06/2011), Omega (07/06/2011)
Old 07/06/2011   #64
Super Mario

All I'm sacrificing is (SPOILER) Zao but it's going to be at S3. AND I'm cleaning a majority of my closet in S2 slowly.

YAHOO!
Old 07/06/2011   #65
Rumpelstiltskin

How's this for making the series dark.
S3 starts and the truth comes out that Fiona is straight!
Thanked by 3:
Bex (07/07/2011), Joe (07/06/2011), Super Mario (07/06/2011)
Old 07/06/2011   #66
Super Mario

I believe it is not death that is truly the means and tools to make the series dark but the fact that if they get through tough shit and all their loved ones die around em? Now that shit's kinda darker, well at least that's what I feel. I feel we should make the themes alot more darker (I promise you, I will use my efforts to make mine as dark too) but leave a sliver of hope for em. I ain't drowning my kids maaan. Until the time is right that is

That is just my two cents, don't be hatin' team.

YAHOO!
Old 07/06/2011   #67
Omega

Well, I mean...

Thetis ALMOST drowns in a bit.

...sort of.

(if you ignore the fact that she can't drown ever)
Old 07/06/2011   #68
Rumpelstiltskin

Other than every single scene consisting of MDK I think each Dessie character really needs to think of the worst case scenario that would occur against them.

* Finding family then having them slaughtered?
* Abuse both physical and psychological
* Torture

etc etc etc.
In all fairness I can't see killing off the main characters is a great idea just to lower the tone of the series :-/
Thanked by:
Alex (07/06/2011)
Old 07/06/2011   #69
Alessa Gillespie

L wrote: * Abuse both physical and psychological
* Torture
so what you're saying is

make salerra canon?

is daddy still a good man?
like a shotgun needs an outcome

don't trust the ones who shake with their left hand

ACKY: IM NOT A TURIAN I CANT MAEK BABBIES WITH GARRUS

Joe: NOT WITH THAT ATTITUDE

can you fight a legendary creature?

i was a TEENAGE CLAIRVOYANT
Thanked by 3:
Alex (07/06/2011), Baldy (07/06/2011), Rumpelstiltskin (07/06/2011)
Old 07/06/2011   #70
Omega

L wrote: * Finding family then having them slaughtered?
* Abuse both physical and psychological
* Torture
so wait everything becomes a Telran-themed OVA?

btw spoilers he's totally gonna waste the entire Niresti contingent of Damascus
Old 07/06/2011   #71
Joe

Iron Man wrote: I believe it is not death that is truly the means and tools to make the series dark but the fact that if they get through tough shit and all their loved ones die around em? Now that shit's kinda darker
Aside from Kram and Emma, the dessies' loved ones at the very most if you push it a bit, consist of the other dessies. Point still stands.

Reject common sense to make the impossible possible!

Thanked by 2:
Baldy (07/07/2011), NoenGaruth (07/07/2011)
Old 07/07/2011   #72
Alex

Okay, so. Here is where we put the revised ideas about what happened in the first season of Dessies forward to everyone. We’ve been deliberately ambiguous about how things ended in season one because of the extent of things that needed to be changed with Channy leaving the project and the massive amount of new information we’ve come up with for the RP.

What we’ve come up with, as the framework for what ‘really’ happened when the Destrillians escaped Viola in season 1 went like this:

Destrillian #005, William Ashford was a generally unpleasant kind of guy. Destrillian of darkness, capable of not only creating hard-dark constructs but also spreading fear, hatred and irrational panic through a limited control over other peoples irrational fear of the dark. During some routine testing, it became apparent that Will had a greater resistance to the negative effects of Derinium than any of the other Dessies at the facility.

After this was discovered, he was put forward for a special testing procedure, one which saw Viola inject him with the super chemical found within Lyverius which give them access to their extreme power. This did not end well. Will quickly let the power go to his head and proceeded to tear through Viola Inc. Like it was cardboard, accidently severing the power that led to the Dessies being freed from captivity.

They make their escape, as was originally planned, and along the way they’re forced to kill Will before escaping into the big wide world and going their separate ways.

If you guys have any thoughts or ideas, then feel free to lob them in. This is all very bare bones stuff right now
Old 07/07/2011   #73
Hisako

Man my memory sucks, but did we have an original Destrillian of darkness?

RIP in peace old sig lolol 04/2015

Don't believe your eyes? Don't be surprised.

Old 07/07/2011   #74
Alessa Gillespie

MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective wrote: Man my memory sucks, but did we have an original Destrillian of darkness?
only

RONIN MATRESS

is daddy still a good man?
like a shotgun needs an outcome

don't trust the ones who shake with their left hand

ACKY: IM NOT A TURIAN I CANT MAEK BABBIES WITH GARRUS

Joe: NOT WITH THAT ATTITUDE

can you fight a legendary creature?

i was a TEENAGE CLAIRVOYANT
Thanked by 7:
Baldy (07/07/2011), Hisako (07/08/2011), Joe (07/07/2011), NoenGaruth (07/07/2011), Omega (07/07/2011), Sheva Alomar (07/07/2011), Super Mario (07/07/2011)
Old 07/07/2011   #75
Alex

MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective wrote: Man my memory sucks, but did we have an original Destrillian of darkness?
Yeah, but Dan's not-involvement with Destrillians anymore kind of necessitates this rewrite even moar.

(also Jeff, you should submit colour references for the Wolfe Pack to Sienna so she can finish their chibis :3)