The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Compilation of Final Fantasy VII > Final Fantasy VII Remake

Final Fantasy VII Remake The remake of FFVII announced at E3 on June 15th, 2015 -- OUR WHOLE LIVES HAVE BEEN LEADING UP TO THIS MOMENT!!

Old 03/01/2017   #16
Mr. Ite

That's not what he is saying. He is admitting that the stories of the FF7 games don't make sense together, so re-releasing them would only confuse people who want to play FF7R.
Mr. Ite is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 3:
Obsidian Fire (03/02/2017), The Twilight Mexican (03/01/2017), X-SOLDIER (03/01/2017)
Old 03/01/2017   #17
Tashasaurous
So in other words, the Remake might as well very be a complete Reboot then despite what they said on their plans to add materials from the Compilation.

Still very stupid. There are players who would want to see some of the Compilation parts within the Remake.

If Square lied about that as well, then it might as well be just like the upcoming Pokemon movie; Remade/Retold completely differently which confuses things even further.
Tashasaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/01/2017   #18
Mr. Ite

Now hold on there just a minute. Let's wait and see what happens when the game comes out. They *might* include content, they *might* totally reboot the franchise, most likely they'll find a middle ground. I think more than anything they don't want to stifle their own creativity. They want to have the freedom to tell the best story they can with the new capabilities of better hardware and two decades of design experience. He's saying that they'll use the Compilation as inspiration rather than law, which is EXACTLY what each of the Compilation titles did with the OG, so there's no need to worry too much.
Thanked by 4:
Obsidian Fire (03/02/2017), Teioh (03/01/2017), The Twilight Mexican (03/01/2017), X-SOLDIER (03/01/2017)
Old 03/01/2017   #19
Tashasaurous
Well, for one thing, the only thing that will always stay the same in all versions of Final Fantasy VII is Sephiroth walking through the fires in Nibelhiem to head towards the Mako Reactor.
Tashasaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Mr. Ite (03/01/2017)
Old 03/01/2017   #20
Mr. Ite

*knocks on wood*

Last edited by Mr. Ite; 03/01/2017 at 04:54 AM.
Thanked by 2:
lithiumkatana17 (03/01/2017), The Twilight Mexican (03/01/2017)
Old 03/01/2017   #21
lithiumkatana17

I really like the ideas that X has presented here. If the Remake its successful in its execution, I'm totally for it.

I'd write more of my thoughts, but I have to go to work.

Lith and Kimble on Lith's promotion wrote: Kimble: With great power--
Lith: COMES GREAT FUCKERY!
Kimble: ...we're doomed.
X-SOLDIER wrote: Lith lives in the land of perpetual salt.
2017 1st Place Winner of Most Likely To Burn A Mountain Village Down Upon Discovering That They Are The Product Of A Science Experiment

lithiumkatana17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 4:
BforBrigitta (07/03/2018), The Twilight Mexican (03/01/2017), Unit-01 (10/01/2017), X-SOLDIER (03/02/2017)
Old 07/03/2018   #22
Claymore

Minor disorganized thoughts, apologies for the rambling...

With the entire gaming industry seeming to shift towards 'Games As A Service' and 'Living Games', and associated development costs continuing to rise, I've been thinking a lot lately about how exactly the Remake is going to handle this. Checking back on this topic, I've realised that we haven't really contemplated what SE are going to do between releases - and that is definitely an area for great concern.

Retaining players for as long as possible, halting any possibilities of selling the game / second hand market, enticing them to purchase additional aspects etc, is the main goal. But the Remake is an a strange position, as though you could (somewhat) easily throw these things into the aftermath of the story or near the end of the game, in say, the Gold Saucer and such; with the Remake being structured and split into a (minimum) of three parts, just how is this going to occur?

I mean, say part 1 is just Midgar. Can you imagine a Valentine's Day event being unceremoniously dropped in? Christmas? ... Just how immersion breaking would this be as you are on the run from Shinra or in the middle of making your way through the slums? Of course, that's just a wild example. They could do something more subtler, like weekly 'hunts' where you have to defeat stronger versions of monsters from the slums. If it was framed in the right way, that could work without breaking the immediate story or tension and properly integrating such an aspect into the game. For example, you could have the people of the slums post fliers in Tifa's bar, and as a Mercenary, it wouldn't be too out of place for Cloud and co to get some additional cash to fund their Avalanche exploits whilst also helping out the poor people of the slums.

Would people be ok if say, you had access to a global leaderboard, with scores for the highest kills of a specific monster in Midgar and prizes awarded on a weekly basis? What if they shuffled the items available in shops from week to week, giving the feel of a marketplace and providing the sensation that the game is more 'alive'? Would that work or would it break the atmosphere too much? I mean, you don't have to participate in any of these, but it's the fact that it's there that can be off-putting to some players.

The 'second' part of the game, with access to the Gold Saucer would obviously open things up and make things a lot easier to integrate these GaS aspects. You could then easily throw in the holiday and hunt events, and anything else within one of the Squares really, without it creeping into the tone or feel of the game or the overall events being played out. Would people accept that or feel that it's too separate and bolted on? Could people be happy if, say, Tourist Trap Wutai was open, and you have all the holiday and special events take place in there?

But that's jumping ahead somewhat, the initial part of the game is the most concerning with how they will implement this stuff. For me personally, it really does depend on where the first game will end and just how integrated into the story they will make these things instead of feeling bolted on.
Claymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 6:
BforBrigitta (07/03/2018), Shademp (07/03/2018), Teioh (07/03/2018), The Twilight Mexican (07/03/2018), Theozilla (07/03/2018), X-SOLDIER (07/03/2018)
Old 07/03/2018   #23
ChipNoir

I've been thinking for a long while that the novellas and AC could be reimagined as a DLC episode series.
ChipNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
Claymore (07/03/2018), X-SOLDIER (07/03/2018)
Old 07/03/2018   #24
X-SOLDIER

This is another big reason why I feel like there's a chance that the first game would make sense to end at Midgar OR in Junon before sneaking onboard the boat. They feel like natural cut-off points where the party can wander around on their own time that doesn't feel as though it's breaking the experience of the game. Both of them also lend themselves to placing content between releases in ways that're enjoyable as well.

I figure that weapon / item / materia sidequests as well as misc enemies are a good way to tackle it. One of the bigger questions I have is how they'll handle character levels between each part. Will players who do everything feel OP at the start of the next part? On the same note, that'll also feel interesting based on whether or not we get Yuffie/Vincent in Part 1 since if not, they might feel odd diving in and having them already have, or lacking abilities compared to other characters. That also ties back in to whether or not they'll be reworked to join you earlier if the game only goes so far in Part 1, so that you'll get enough time to really pal around with the whole party in whichever configuration you want.

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

Shademp – on the subject of my seemingly boundless optimism wrote: After Ungoliant had sucked the light from the trees Telperion and Laurelin, she found that there was a third tree but whose light was too potent and immortal for her to absorb. Thusly, Ungoliant left Valinor in tears for she could not absorb the light of the tree named X-SOLDIER.

#TotzCanon

~ | G+ | Facebook | Tumblr | Twitter | DA | TLS | FFOF | FF | SCL | KC | CC | ~
X-SOLDIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
BforBrigitta (07/03/2018), Claymore (07/03/2018)
Old 07/03/2018   #25
Claymore

That's a very good point about the character levels. The simplest solution would be for there to be a level cap for the characters within the first part, it's the only way to ensure proper balance, to tailor the encounters for additional content, and for the eventual second part.

That's a tough either / or. Having them join earlier would enable players to get a feel for the entire party, conversation / banter, and work towards abilities, but delaying them to where they naturally occur would also give players something to look forward to for the second part., and give the story more room to breathe. I'm not sure what the best answer is there. Like you said, a lot really hangs in the balance of where they are going to end the first part of the game.
Thanked by 3:
BforBrigitta (07/04/2018), The Twilight Mexican (07/04/2018), X-SOLDIER (07/03/2018)
Old 07/04/2018   #26
ChipNoir

X-SOLDIER wrote: This is another big reason why I feel like there's a chance that the first game would make sense to end at Midgar OR in Junon before sneaking onboard the boat. They feel like natural cut-off points where the party can wander around on their own time that doesn't feel as though it's breaking the experience of the game. Both of them also lend themselves to placing content between releases in ways that're enjoyable as well.

I figure that weapon / item / materia sidequests as well as misc enemies are a good way to tackle it. One of the bigger questions I have is how they'll handle character levels between each part. Will players who do everything feel OP at the start of the next part? On the same note, that'll also feel interesting based on whether or not we get Yuffie/Vincent in Part 1 since if not, they might feel odd diving in and having them already have, or lacking abilities compared to other characters. That also ties back in to whether or not they'll be reworked to join you earlier if the game only goes so far in Part 1, so that you'll get enough time to really pal around with the whole party in whichever configuration you want.

X

Square needs to embrace the fact that players like to set their own difficulty. The ONLY time I've ever seen them acknowledge it in an in-house game is that KHII FM has a 0 EXP option, to cater to low-level runs. They did of course have Bravely Default, but that was mostly third-party work using SE's assets.

The smartest, most pragmatic thing to do is put a level scale-back mechanic, so that you bring yourself down to any previous level, including a recommended default for whatever area you're in. Everything else is a matter of player choice, as to whether or not to use the more powerful materia or weapons.

They made a huge mistake with XIII, and need to learn from it. Level caps DO NOT WORK.
Thanked by:
X-SOLDIER (07/04/2018)
Old 07/04/2018   #27
Claymore

Isn't level-scaling worse in a lot of ways? I've not played many MMOs, but there is a distinct lack of achievement from being suddenly thrown back to a previous level state, or worse, the enemies scale with you to your level - a la FF VIII - pretty much negating that sense of achievement at having grinded for hours, becoming stronger, and finally overcoming an enemy. And that's if they scale things properly.

At least with a level cap, the challenge will feel more consistent, the sensation of actually having achieved something is also still there, as you (if you want) you can still hit the maximum level possible for the first portion of the game, and lord it to others if they do the global leaderboards aspect and such for hunts. And the level cap can be easily raised and adjusted with the additional content between games.

I don't know, I've heard a lot of bad things about level-scaling in MMOs. If it's between scaling players, scaling enemies, or level capping, I'd personally go with capping. Remember, this isn't a straight game and we have to take into consideration that there are more parts incoming that will need to be thought about and adjusted.
Thanked by 2:
BforBrigitta (07/04/2018), X-SOLDIER (07/04/2018)
Old 07/04/2018   #28
Kain424

ChipNoir wrote: I've been thinking for a long while that the novellas and AC could be reimagined as a DLC episode series.
I have been thinking this exact thing. It does, of course, depend on how much the narrative adheres to the original's canon. But I like all that stuff, and Cloud going about making a business, getting Fenrir, meeting up with Denzel, etc. could be neat to play through.
Kain424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
X-SOLDIER (07/04/2018)
Old 07/04/2018   #29
ChipNoir

Claymore wrote: Isn't level-scaling worse in a lot of ways? I've not played many MMOs, but there is a distinct lack of achievement from being suddenly thrown back to a previous level state, or worse, the enemies scale with you to your level - a la FF VIII - pretty much negating that sense of achievement at having grinded for hours, becoming stronger, and finally overcoming an enemy. And that's if they scale things properly.

At least with a level cap, the challenge will feel more consistent, the sensation of actually having achieved something is also still there, as you (if you want) you can still hit the maximum level possible for the first portion of the game, and lord it to others if they do the global leaderboards aspect and such for hunts. And the level cap can be easily raised and adjusted with the additional content between games.

I don't know, I've heard a lot of bad things about level-scaling in MMOs. If it's between scaling players, scaling enemies, or level capping, I'd personally go with capping. Remember, this isn't a straight game and we have to take into consideration that there are more parts incoming that will need to be thought about and adjusted.

You're misunderstanding what I'm saying. I'm saying there should be an option to allow the player to scale themselves back a level. And I'll correct myself: Dissidia also does this.

By giving the player the option to scale back, they can grind to their hearts content, break the game as they choose, or go back to a level point where they feel suitably challenged.

Combine that with a level-stasis mode, and any concerns about this issue are nullified.
Thanked by 2:
The Twilight Mexican (07/04/2018), X-SOLDIER (07/04/2018)
Old 07/04/2018   #30
Claymore

ChipNoir wrote: You're misunderstanding what I'm saying. I'm saying there should be an option to allow the player to scale themselves back a level. And I'll correct myself: Dissidia also does this.

By giving the player the option to scale back, they can grind to their hearts content, break the game as they choose, or go back to a level point where they feel suitably challenged.

Combine that with a level-stasis mode, and any concerns about this issue are nullified.
Ah, I understand what you mean now. Yeah an option like that would be fine to give players who wanted to use it a sense of a challenge, but you would still need that general cap in place to avoid everyone just sailing through the entire add-ons, second or third parts.
Thanked by:
X-SOLDIER (07/04/2018)