The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Final Fantasy > Neo Final Fantasy (VIII - XV)

Neo Final Fantasy (VIII - XV) Discussion area for all Final Fantasy titles after Final Fantasy VII.

Old 05/14/2017   #181
Jason Tandro

Ramza Beoulve wrote:
Jason Tandro wrote: 2) It pleases my OCD to have an even number of male and female characters.
But Quina being female would break the law in which JRPG casts always have either 1 or 3 women
But that's not a...

Final Fantasy XV
Final Fantasy XIII Trilogy
Final Fantasy XII
Final Fantasy X / X-2
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy IV

But FF8 only follows that rule if you ignore Edea which I don't but still.. Also FFV has 2 instead of 1 or 3. - Edit: Hold up, Krile. Shit. HOW DEEP DOES THIS THING GO.

One of the most diverse casts I've played a (in terms of gender and sexuality, they're all "aliens are all white people") was Star Ocean: The Second Story. You had a pretty even number of male and female characters and you could make 'em gay if that tickled your fancy, though you'd only find out in the endings.

Last edited by Jason Tandro; 05/14/2017 at 05:02 PM.
Jason Tandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 5:
Dark and Divine (05/15/2017), Flare (05/14/2017), Howl (05/14/2017), Shademp (05/14/2017), The Twilight Mexican (05/14/2017)
Old 05/14/2017   #182
JBedford

Jason Tandro wrote: Also FFV has 2 instead of 1 or 3.
Lenna, Faris, Krile.
JBedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 3:
Dark and Divine (05/15/2017), Jason Tandro (05/14/2017), The Twilight Mexican (05/14/2017)
Old 05/14/2017   #183
Flintlock

JBedford wrote: Faris
Spoilers.
Flintlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 5:
Ghost X (05/15/2017), Jason Tandro (05/14/2017), JBedford (05/14/2017), Mr. Ite (06/30/2017), The Twilight Mexican (05/14/2017)
Old 05/14/2017   #184
Jason Tandro

Flintlock wrote:
JBedford wrote: Faris
Spoilers.
Oh yeah I forgot about Krile there for a second.

But hey you could argue Faris wants to be a dude so...
Thanked by:
The Twilight Mexican (05/14/2017)
Old 05/15/2017   #185
ForceStealer

More than just FF, too:

Xenosaga: Shion, KOS-MOS, MOMO
Chrono Trigger: Marle, Lucca, Ayla
Tales of Xillia: Milla, Leia, Elyse
Tales of the Abyss: Tear, Natalia, Anise
Persona 3: Yukari, Fuuka, Mitsuru

etc. etc. It's kind of amazing.

hitoshura wrote: Don't belittle my peoples, bitch. We work hard and we do what we're told. And might possibly be Scottish.
ultima espio wrote: I'm not sure if it was a BOMB, it could have been MAKO, KING, BEST, or ORBS.
ForceStealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 5:
Cthulhu (05/15/2017), Dark and Divine (05/15/2017), Flare (05/15/2017), Jason Tandro (05/15/2017), The Twilight Mexican (05/15/2017)
Old 05/15/2017   #186
Lucis Caelum

I always saw Quina as genderless.
Lucis Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
ForceStealer (05/16/2017), Mr. Ite (06/30/2017)
Old 05/15/2017   #187
Clement Rage

Any RPG system is breakable if you put in the time. And you do have to put in time in FF8 like any other, finding draw points and learning abilities (the right ones). There's more to keep track of in FF8 than most of the other systems, the payoff's good, but you have to work for it.

For a system too easily breakable, a lot of people seem to find it difficult. To break the system, you mostly either have to know exactly what to do in advance, or sink a lot of time into it, and it's not really fair to say 'I spent three hours grinding and now things are too easy, fuck you game' when you had no obligation to do that. If you've gone out of your way to make things easy for yourself, you can't really complain that you've made things too easy.

Most gender egalitarian series I've ever played is Resident Evil.
Jason Tandro (05/16/2017), The Twilight Mexican (05/16/2017)
Old 05/16/2017   #188
Jason Tandro

Clement Rage wrote: Any RPG system is breakable if you put in the time. And you do have to put in time in FF8 like any other, finding draw points and learning abilities (the right ones). There's more to keep track of in FF8 than most of the other systems, the payoff's good, but you have to work for it.

For a system too easily breakable, a lot of people seem to find it difficult. To break the system, you mostly either have to know exactly what to do in advance, or sink a lot of time into it, and it's not really fair to say 'I spent three hours grinding and now things are too easy, fuck you game' when you had no obligation to do that. If you've gone out of your way to make things easy for yourself, you can't really complain that you've made things too easy.
This is fair, but some of the basic abilities you might teach your GF are the low-cost RF abilities, since even a new player would go "hey this only cost 30 AP, let's get it". Couple that with the drop rate of refinable items and, most bizarre of all the 16 Wizard Stones dropped by like the fourth boss of the game which allows 3rd Tier Magic refinement and you've got a system that has made some poor choices in its stacking. It's true that the third tier magic is nerfed by comparison to other games but that always boggled me how early you could access it without even trying.

And I don't know that it's fair to say that FF8's refinement-go-lucky chaos is comparable to, say, sitting by Qu's Marsh for hours in FF9 to give Quina a 9999 HP damaging Frog Drop early on. Time and effort are required yes, but to the average skilled player the time and effort the break FF8 are about the time required to actually play the game.

And yes it's difficult for beginners who don't grasp the Junction system, but that's not a sign in its favor. If anything the fact that such an easy system to utilize / break is so hard for newcomers to understand actually serves as a demerit. And remember this is the game I call my personal favorite so I'm not just hating here.

Most gender egalitarian series I've ever played is Resident Evil.
You know I still haven't gotten around to playing that. Like any of them, at all. I should fix that.
Thanked by 2:
Clement Rage (05/17/2017), The Twilight Mexican (05/16/2017)
Old 05/17/2017   #189
Clement Rage

I think I see this as more a matter of personal preference rather than an objective flaw. I mean, the very annoyingness of Trance helps tie in in with storytelling, and FF9's battle system is a lot more tied to the story than usual.

Sometimes being annoyed by a game isn't a bad thing, it means you value the times when everything works out.

I also think my definition of an average gamer is a little different. Mine is one that will look into the system, learn a few tricks, but won't have the patience to obsessively refine or play cards with every single NPC, where grinding is a means to an end (ie. to get powerful enough to defeat that particular boss) rather than an end in itself -there's no actual need in game to get any character
anywhere close to level 99, or draw 99 of every magic, or any of the things you really need to break the system. They don't just happen by chance.

Incidentally, 3rd tier magic isn't game breaking in FF8, it's the rarer spells like Aura and Meltdown that are true game breakers, which are pretty hard to find if you don't know already.
The Twilight Mexican (07/01/2017)
Old 05/17/2017   #190
Jason Tandro

Clement Rage wrote: Sometimes being annoyed by a game isn't a bad thing, it means you value the times when everything works out.
I think you just described Dark Souls design philosophy.

Incidentally, 3rd tier magic isn't game breaking in FF8, it's the rarer spells like Aura and Meltdown that are true game breakers, which are pretty hard to find if you don't know already.
I agree and I did mention that. Blizzaga in FF8 < Blizzaga in FF9. I have to give 8 that much credit, it's high-end spells (when used by a competent caster) make you actually feel their weight. But then we get to the problem here - calculated risk between losing the stat boost versus using an amazing spell. That could be seen as a good thing but I don't.

Pro Tip by the way: Use Ultima for Elem-DEF Junction and you will need no others.

Back OT: Almost done with Disk 2, a Journal should be coming later this week (on the return journey to Conde Petie from Black Mage Village, just gotta do some levelling and gil-grinding first. I want to learn all the skills on Exploda so I can equip the Rune Tooth and I'd like a healthy stockpile of Peridot to bolster Ramuh.
Thanked by:
The Twilight Mexican (07/01/2017)
Old 05/17/2017   #191
Clement Rage

Fair enough. I guess what I'm getting at is the difference between 'I don't like this' and 'this is bad'.
Jason Tandro (05/17/2017), The Twilight Mexican (07/01/2017)
Old 06/26/2017   #192
Jason Tandro

Journal 6: But The Owls Are Still Around
Thanked by 4:
Dark and Divine (06/26/2017), Mr. Ite (06/26/2017), Shademp (06/26/2017), The Twilight Mexican (07/01/2017)
Old 06/26/2017   #193
Mr. Ite

JT you are exactly my kind of nerd. Using an FF8 quote as a title for your FF9 LP.
Mr. Ite is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
Jason Tandro (06/26/2017), The Twilight Mexican (07/01/2017)
Old 06/29/2017   #194
Jason Tandro

Journal 7: The Root of All Evil
Thanked by 3:
Dark and Divine (06/29/2017), Shademp (06/29/2017), The Twilight Mexican (07/01/2017)
Old 07/02/2017   #195
Jason Tandro

Journal 8: Axing Alexandria
Thanked by 3:
Dark and Divine (07/02/2017), Shademp (07/02/2017), The Twilight Mexican (07/04/2017)