The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Topical > Entertainment

Entertainment Poast about movies, television, animé, books, and pyrotechnics in the distance here. Music topics go in The Venue.

Old 05/21/2018   #1
X-SOLDIER
Default Mowgli (the other Jungle Book film)

This is the one that started before the new Disney one, and is sticking closer to the book and is being much less of a children's tale. It was undergoing production as "Jungle Book: Origins" but is now titled Mowgli.

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

There's also an interview with Andy Serkis about the project here: https://io9.gizmodo.com/mowglis-andy...for-1826201884

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

Shademp – on the subject of my seemingly boundless optimism wrote: After Ungoliant had sucked the light from the trees Telperion and Laurelin, she found that there was a third tree but whose light was too potent and immortal for her to absorb. Thusly, Ungoliant left Valinor in tears for she could not absorb the light of the tree named X-SOLDIER.

#TotzCanon

~ | G+ | Facebook | Tumblr | Twitter | DA | TLS | FFOF | FF | SCL | KC | CC | ~
X-SOLDIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 4:
Ghost X (05/21/2018), Shademp (05/21/2018), The Twilight Mexican (05/23/2018), Theozilla (05/22/2018)
Old 05/22/2018   #2
Cthulhu

Another re-re-re-remake? But with even more famous names?

Fuck off
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
Ghost X (05/23/2018), The Twilight Mexican (05/23/2018)
Old 05/22/2018   #3
X-SOLDIER

Cthulhu wrote: Another re-re-re-remake? But with even more famous names?
This was actually in development BEFORE the new Disney one.

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

Shademp – on the subject of my seemingly boundless optimism wrote: After Ungoliant had sucked the light from the trees Telperion and Laurelin, she found that there was a third tree but whose light was too potent and immortal for her to absorb. Thusly, Ungoliant left Valinor in tears for she could not absorb the light of the tree named X-SOLDIER.

#TotzCanon

Thanked by 2:
The Twilight Mexican (05/23/2018), Theozilla (05/22/2018)
Old 05/22/2018   #4
Cthulhu

Well the book is from 1894 so yeah
Thanked by 2:
The Twilight Mexican (05/23/2018), X-SOLDIER (05/22/2018)
Old 05/23/2018   #5
Ghost X

As Cthulhu describes, it wouldn't surprise me if there was a bit of Jungle Book fatigue, which is naturally unfortunate if such films are good. Plenty of stories out there that have never been converted to film. Should pick one of those instead

2017 1st Runner-Up -- Member You'd Most Want to Meet.

2017 1st Runner-Up -- Best Voice.

2017 2nd Place Winner -- Most Likely To Back Out Of A Fight But Remain... Victorious.
Ghost X is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
The Twilight Mexican (05/23/2018), X-SOLDIER (05/24/2018)
Old 05/23/2018   #6
Interslicery

The fact it's marketing itself as the DARKEST telling of the story annoys me. Why is that a selling point?

Interslicery is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
Old 05/23/2018   #7
Cthulhu

Worked for Batman and all of the following edgy dark takes on superhero shite,
Thanked by 2:
The Twilight Mexican (05/25/2018), X-SOLDIER (05/24/2018)
Old 05/23/2018   #8
Obsidian Fire

Ehhh... The Jungle Book does get pretty dark is some places?

You've pretty much got animals buying people's lives with food, murder via stampede (pre-meditated at that), kidnapping, etc. Oh, and there's the Blue and Orange Morality of all the animals, which is what the majority of the cast is. And the ending is only happy from a very odd perspective.

IDK, I never really liked Disney's The Jungle Book since I had read the actual book at such a young age. They're only alike in very, very broad strokes. It might as well be titled something completely different.

Saying that an attempt to be closer to the book means that it will be darker then how people are used to seeing the story portrayed doesn't mean much.

Also... a good 1/3 of The Jungle Book isn't about Mowgli. And there's actually a sequal to it called The Jungle Book II that Kippling wrote. I can see why they would rename it.
Old 05/24/2018   #9
Channy

The animation is worse than Disney but it's got bigger stars attached, which is interesting. We'll see where this goes.

So, why do you come here?
Same as you, I think. I've been here a lot...
You must have a lot going on your mind, I suppose.
Yeah, but I'd rather have nothing for a change. How do you do it?
Well, it comes with practice. I can think of nothing.
I do not feel the need to occupy my mind with nonsense, just to avoid thinking about what really matters.

Channy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
X-SOLDIER (05/24/2018)
Old 05/24/2018   #10
Interslicery

It's not that I dont think the story can't/shouldn't be dark, it just feels very juvenile to flat out say in words that its super dark. Especially as one of the very first things in the trailer.

Interslicery is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 3:
The Twilight Mexican (05/24/2018), Theozilla (05/24/2018), X-SOLDIER (05/24/2018)
Old 05/24/2018   #11
Theozilla

Obsidian Fire wrote: Also... a good 1/3 of The Jungle Book isn't about Mowgli. And there's actually a sequal to it called The Jungle Book II that Kippling wrote. I can see why they would rename it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_the_Mowgli_Stories

The Mowgli stories did get separately collected all together though. So if one wishes to just read those, it is readily available to read (and even includes the first Mowgli story Kipling wrote (though its the last one chronologically in the narrative).

Interslicery wrote: It's not that I dont think the story can't/shouldn't be dark, it just feels very juvenile to flat out say in words that its super dark. Especially as one of the very first things in the trailer.
Yeah, that's probably more due to the marketing team (perhaps misguidedly) trying to distinguish this film from the Disney versions in the public consciousness (which is also probably why they changed the film title to Mowgli from the previous Jungle Book: Origins), rather than the creative team's fault.
The Twilight Mexican (05/25/2018), X-SOLDIER (05/24/2018)
Old 07/28/2018   #12
The Twilight Mexican

Netflix acquires "Mowgli," limited theatrical release to be followed by release on the streaming service next year
Thanked by 2:
Channy (07/29/2018), X-SOLDIER (07/29/2018)
Old 07/29/2018   #13
X-SOLDIER

Iiiinteresting. It feels like this is Netflix testing the waters to do mini-theatrical releases of some of their content, which might be really neat! Between this and the way that they released Annihilation everywhere but NA, it seems like they're getting into more of a position to do that, which hopefully also means attracting more and more creators as well.

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

#TotzCanon

Thanked by:
The Twilight Mexican (07/30/2018)
Old 07/30/2018   #14
Channy

Well they kinda did this with the Cloverfield Paradox or whatever, right? Hype hype hype hype.. DROP.

So, why do you come here?
Same as you, I think. I've been here a lot...
You must have a lot going on your mind, I suppose.
Yeah, but I'd rather have nothing for a change. How do you do it?
Well, it comes with practice. I can think of nothing.
I do not feel the need to occupy my mind with nonsense, just to avoid thinking about what really matters.

Channy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/30/2018   #15
X-SOLDIER

No, the Cloverfield Paradox never had ANY theatrical release, but was originally slated for one. This looks to be getting one as well as a Netflix release.

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

#TotzCanon

Thanked by:
The Twilight Mexican (07/30/2018)