The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Topical > Entertainment

Entertainment Poast about movies, television, animé, books, and pyrotechnics in the distance here. Music topics go in The Venue.

Old 07/07/2012   #1
Cookie Monster
Default Elysium

The first official photo has been released.

If you haven't heard, this is Blomkamp's follow-up to District 9.

Set in the year 2159, it's about the oppressed people of the ruined planet Earth versus the privileged elite aboard the Elysium space station, and what happens when the terrans fight for equality.

Damon is ex-convict man-on-a-mission Max, and Jodie Foster is the dastardly government official intent on enforcing anti-immigration laws and keeping Elysium for the Elysians. Sharlto Copley, William Fichtner and Alice Braga are also in the mix in still-unspecified roles, with Diego Luna as Damon's best friend and Wagner Moura as a villain.

The legendary Syd Mead designed the sets, and Elysium will finally be released in March next year.
Cookie Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 4:
Alex (07/07/2012), Octo (07/07/2012), The Man (07/08/2012), X-SOLDIER (07/07/2012)
Old 07/07/2012   #2
Octo

Syd Mead....District 9.....Blomkamp.....hnnng.

Could it really be true? A Matt Damon film I actually want to see?

(Mostly Manics related things but some other stuff and more things being added all the time! <3

https://www.redbubble.com/people/rom...dropdown&asc=u
Octo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/07/2012   #3
Lex

Wait what? What happened to the aliens that escaped on their mothership? Surely they'll be making some sort of return?

Happy to hear it's getting at least some sort of follow up though, that movie was awesome.

Especially for me, by the awesome GLD!
Serving legendaries with mah Pokécrew.
Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/07/2012   #4
Alessa Gillespie

unless i saved people there i don't care

is daddy still a good man?
like a shotgun needs an outcome

don't trust the ones who shake with their left hand

ACKY: IM NOT A TURIAN I CANT MAEK BABBIES WITH GARRUS

Joe: NOT WITH THAT ATTITUDE

can you fight a legendary creature?

i was a TEENAGE CLAIRVOYANT
Alessa Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/07/2012   #5
Octo

By the sounds of things its not based in the same universe as District 9 (and even if it was theres a 177 year gap between then and this ) its just the same director. It would be cool if there was some sort of reference/easter egg though.

(Mostly Manics related things but some other stuff and more things being added all the time! <3

Old 07/07/2012   #6
Alex

Wait what? What happened to the aliens that escaped on their mothership? Surely they'll be making some sort of return?
Sharlto Copley
Could be

But yeah this is awesome. Neil Blombkamp is a serious talent. Can't wait to see what he can accomplish with a bigger budget and more senior actors at his disposal.
Old 07/07/2012   #7
Lex

Oh I feel silly. I don't why I assumed it was a sequel :s.

There really should be a sequel to that film.

Old 07/07/2012   #8
Tetsujin

I don't know, I actually find it quite refreshing for a good movie not to have sequels for once.
Tetsujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Literally Who? (04/11/2013)
Old 07/07/2012   #9
Lex

Well yeah I get that, but it kind of ended on a cliffhanger? I mean where is the gory alien justice/rescue/revenge on mankind? By the end of that movie, I completely hated all humans. Now I'm in the mood to watch it again.

Old 07/07/2012   #10
Cthulhu

Alex wrote: Could be

But yeah this is awesome. Neil Blombkamp is a serious talent. Can't wait to see what he can accomplish with a bigger budget and more senior actors at his disposal.
I for one don't believe bigger budget / more well-known actors would make for a better movie. At best, it'd be more hollywoodish and have more explosions. Actors and budget on D9 were just fine.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
Octo (07/07/2012), The Pyro (07/08/2012)
Old 07/07/2012   #11
Octo

Yeah, District 9 was on the other week and it struck me how good the FX were, like they still hold up after....ooh 4 years. Cos a lot of stuff looks good when you first see it and then a few years later you can see the joins.

And the acting and script were faultless. I think the only problem with it was that it sort of ramped up the pace halfway through, where it switched from documentary to action. But that wasn't really a major thing, more of a quirk.

Thanked by:
The Pyro (07/08/2012)
Old 07/07/2012   #12
Max Payne

Cthulhu wrote: I for one don't believe bigger budget / more well-known actors would make for a better movie. At best, it'd be more hollywoodish and have more explosions. Actors and budget on D9 were just fine.
That wasn't what he meant at all.

He just wants to see what a creative mind like Blokamp's can do with more money to pull off his visions.
Max Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Alex (07/07/2012)
Old 07/07/2012   #13
anothercid

Ooh! Another Neil Blomkamp movie. The world could use one of those. Important question: will there be a pig-launcher moment?
Octo (07/07/2012)
Old 07/07/2012   #14
Interslicery

For anyone who hasn't seen this, this came out like.. over a year ago? This was before we knew anything about the movie and barely knew the name. Things may have changed since then, but it is related to the movie in some way.

YouTube Video

Interslicery is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Octo (07/07/2012)
Old 07/07/2012   #15
Alex

Cthulhu wrote: I for one don't believe bigger budget / more well-known actors would make for a better movie. At best, it'd be more hollywoodish and have more explosions. Actors and budget on D9 were just fine.
Clearly you do believe that a bigger actors and a better budget make for a better film or you would have been content with Blomkamp's Alive in Joburg, the short film that would eventually be adapted into District 9 once the director was given a substantially bigger budget and more well known actors became attached to the project.

Throwing more money at a director with a great creative vision like Blomkamp doesn't necessarily mean that the film is going to to turn into Transformers 4: Attack of the Michael Bays. Give the man some credit.