The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Topical > Entertainment

Entertainment Poast about movies, television, animé, books, and pyrotechnics in the distance here. Music topics go in The Venue.

Old 03/28/2017   #166
lithiumkatana17

Apparently Buffyverse is getting a book series! Lex, have you hear about this yet?

http://ew.com/books/2017/03/28/buffy...alflow_twitter

Lith and Kimble on Lith's promotion wrote: Kimble: With great power--
Lith: COMES GREAT FUCKERY!
Kimble: ...we're doomed.
X-SOLDIER wrote: Lith lives in the land of perpetual salt.
2017 1st Place Winner of Most Likely To Burn A Mountain Village Down Upon Discovering That They Are The Product Of A Science Experiment

lithiumkatana17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
The Twilight Mexican (03/28/2017)
Old 03/30/2017   #167
Lex

New books, interesting!

Has anyone seen this yet?

The cast reunited for a photoshoot and interviews:

Especially for me, by the awesome GLD!
Serving legendaries with mah Pokécrew.
Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 4:
Claymore (03/30/2017), CrashOuch (03/30/2017), looneymoon (12/21/2017), The Twilight Mexican (03/30/2017)
Old 03/30/2017   #168
lithiumkatana17

I actually watched that video today, I saw it on Facebook. Can't wait until we get the magazine in at work.

Lith and Kimble on Lith's promotion wrote: Kimble: With great power--
Lith: COMES GREAT FUCKERY!
Kimble: ...we're doomed.
X-SOLDIER wrote: Lith lives in the land of perpetual salt.
2017 1st Place Winner of Most Likely To Burn A Mountain Village Down Upon Discovering That They Are The Product Of A Science Experiment

lithiumkatana17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
The Twilight Mexican (03/30/2017)
Old 03/30/2017   #169
Claymore

It's so cool seeing the gang back together like that.
Claymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
The Twilight Mexican (12/25/2017)
Old 12/21/2017   #170
looneymoon

Opinion re: the other thread

I don't think Joss' writing had ever been as strong or creative as it was on Buffy.

It really saddens me that he's a gigantic goddamn asshole given the central feminist themes, but overall I will always love the series for the inspiration it gave me in the time it was made.

That being said, I don't feel pressed to support his work outside Buffy and Angel. I liked the first Avengers when it came out, but no longer care about super hero franchise movies. The Firefly grieving really needs to die at this point. Cabin in the Woods loses most of its punch on a second view. Dr Horrible is okay, but even when I first watched it I felt like it was such an obvious outlet for Joss' super gross nice guy syndrome. Ick....

Boy though, do I LOVE Buffy. As much as I hate reboots, I would gladly welcome a modernized retelling of Buffy headed by someone who isn't Joss... Or any dude for that matter. I feel like of there was ever an appropriate time for it, it's now.

looneymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 3:
Ami (12/21/2017), Lex (12/21/2017), X-SOLDIER (12/21/2017)
Old 12/21/2017   #171
Lex

While I'm pretty sketchy on the idea of Buffy not involving Joss, I don't want the Kuzui's anywhere near it. They were notorious among all staff for being complete assholes, didn't go near the show - and unfortunately, they own the rights to Buffy.

I'm actually reading a book right now that's kind of a mish-mash of quotes from various writers and actors from the Buffyverse and there are a few that mention the Kuzui's. Fran Kuzui herself has a quote in the book, and it's really bizarre because it's this paragraph where she's like "I saw what Joss had and I really wanted Buffy to be this and I think we achieved that" etc and it's incredibly out of place because it's surrounded by quotes from every other person that says "the Kuzui's had zero involvement with anything other than meddling with the movie script."

There's even a bit where one of the showrunners tells the story of how it was the done thing then to call executive producers to let them know they were about to start filming another episode, and they used to call the Kuzui's as a joke because when they said "we're starting" the Kuzui's used to respond with "who is this?"

crazy

EDIT: Never mind apparently the Kuzui's sold their interest to Warner. Very interesting.

Especially for me, by the awesome GLD!
Serving legendaries with mah Pokécrew.
Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 5:
Ami (12/23/2017), looneymoon (12/21/2017), Tetsujin (12/21/2017), The Twilight Mexican (12/25/2017), X-SOLDIER (12/22/2017)
Old 12/21/2017   #172
looneymoon

I know what you mean about rebooting without Joss being weird. So much of the character from the show comes from his own way of writing dialogue and banter, and I wouldn't like to see a new series that doesn't hit the nose on that I just don't know if he's really the best person to revisit this story anymore...

I think if they did do a Buffy reboot, it would be cool to see something that wasn't just a rehash of the their time at Sunnyvale high (though it would make the most sense to start there). I'd really like if they incorporated The Fray comic into it, but that'd be pretty unlikely.

Thanked by 4:
Ami (12/23/2017), Lex (12/22/2017), Minato (12/23/2017), X-SOLDIER (12/22/2017)
Old 12/23/2017   #173
looneymoon

I just realized that modern Buffy would have an iPhone and an instagram account and I suddenly feel really weird.

Thanked by 5:
Ami (12/23/2017), Fangu (12/23/2017), Lex (12/26/2017), The Twilight Mexican (12/25/2017), X-SOLDIER (12/23/2017)
Old 02/21/2018   #174
X-SOLDIER

Joss Whedon's coming back to write the Buffy comic.

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

Shademp – on the subject of my seemingly boundless optimism wrote: After Ungoliant had sucked the light from the trees Telperion and Laurelin, she found that there was a third tree but whose light was too potent and immortal for her to absorb. Thusly, Ungoliant left Valinor in tears for she could not absorb the light of the tree named X-SOLDIER.

#TotzCanon

~ | G+ | Facebook | Tumblr | Twitter | DA | TLS | FFOF | FF | SCL | KC | CC | ~
X-SOLDIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 5:
Claymore (02/22/2018), Fangu (02/21/2018), Lex (02/22/2018), Tetsujin (02/22/2018), The Twilight Mexican (02/22/2018)
Old 07/14/2018   #175
Claymore

Thought I'd put this here until further news, first pics and shit come out, but this is exciting nonetheless.

Joss Whedon is working with HBO on a new show The Never which:

will focus on a "gang of Victorian women who find themselves with unusual abilities, relentless enemies, and on a mission that might change the world."
https://www.cinemablend.com/televisi...lmost-a-decade
Claymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 5:
Ami (07/14/2018), Lex (07/14/2018), Minato (07/14/2018), Tetsujin (07/14/2018), The Twilight Mexican (07/14/2018)