The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Topical > Gaming

Gaming Discuss all things gaming in this subsection.

Old 11/03/2015   #1
X-SOLDIER
Default Overwatch

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

This is a decent article about someone's first impressions: http://kotaku.com/overwatch-makes-a-...ion-1740372992

Personally, I can't get enough of watching people play this game. It's fantastically pretty to look at, and it's really got a good amount of energy to it, and everyone who's in the Beta seems to be having a blast with it so far.

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

Shademp – on the subject of my seemingly boundless optimism wrote: After Ungoliant had sucked the light from the trees Telperion and Laurelin, she found that there was a third tree but whose light was too potent and immortal for her to absorb. Thusly, Ungoliant left Valinor in tears for she could not absorb the light of the tree named X-SOLDIER.

#TotzCanon

~ | G+ | Facebook | Tumblr | Twitter | DA | TLS | FFOF | FF | SCL | KC | CC | ~
X-SOLDIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
Ghost X (11/04/2015), Joe (11/04/2015)
Old 11/03/2015   #2
Literally Who?

I didn't get a key for this. I am salty =/
Literally Who? is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Joe (11/04/2015)
Old 11/04/2015   #3
Cthulhu

Oh right this is a new Blizzard franchise, could've sworn it was Valve... which is anecdotal proof about where they got their inspiration from (TF2, maybe dota to a lesser degree). I'm not convinced or excited though; tried HOTS, not convinced (but then I never really got into its competitors either), and this looks just like TF2, just slower (based on that gameplay trailer) and with a load more kinda lame characters/stereotypes.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/04/2015   #4
X-SOLDIER

The pacing is really solid. Here's a couple random videos from YouTubers that I follow:

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

Also, Duncan's starting a series about all the characters with Pharah.

YouTube Video

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

Shademp – on the subject of my seemingly boundless optimism wrote: After Ungoliant had sucked the light from the trees Telperion and Laurelin, she found that there was a third tree but whose light was too potent and immortal for her to absorb. Thusly, Ungoliant left Valinor in tears for she could not absorb the light of the tree named X-SOLDIER.

#TotzCanon

Old 11/07/2015   #5
X-SOLDIER

New gameplay trailer:

YouTube Video

Stoked that there'll be a PS4 version, so that my lovely significant other and I can play it.

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

#TotzCanon

Old 11/07/2015   #6
Literally Who?

IDK why but for some reason I thought Overwatch was gonna be F2P.

Honestly though 40$ for the base game is reasonable and I do happen to play enough of other Blizzard games where the 60$ Origins Edition actually doesn't sound like a bad deal. Especially for those D3 wings which would be really neat to have since I don't have wings in D3 and all the other ones go for several hundred dollars lol.
Old 11/07/2015   #7
Cthulhu

It's not? TIL. I did gather that the console versions wouldn't be though (idk, console games always have distribution costs?), and in that case it'd be unfair for PC players. Ah well, if the base game is good and they limit the in-game purchases / DLC then it should be fine.

then again, this is Blizzard, who hauled in billions or so with the Diablo 3 in-game purchases thing and will probably repeat it in one way or another.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Literally Who? (11/07/2015)
Old 11/07/2015   #8
Literally Who?

Yep. Unless I misread the purchase page or something idk lol. Maybe it could be free and be pulling a Smite with a 1 time purchase for all heroes deal lol

http://us.battle.net/overwatch/en/buy/

But yeah your right. If Heroes of the Storm is any indication Blizzard can definitely monetize the crap out of Overwatch =/
Old 11/09/2015   #9
X-SOLDIER

YouTube Video

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

#TotzCanon

Old 03/11/2016   #10
X-SOLDIER

All the available/unlockable skins in the new Beta Relaunch

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

Also, Amazon has informed me that the PS4 release date is apparently May 24th now.

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

#TotzCanon

Thanked by:
Literally Who? (03/11/2016)
Old 03/11/2016   #11
Tennyo

I remember being surprised when I saw that this was made by Blizzard. I, too, thought this was Valve. It seems very Team Fortress 2 to me.
Old 03/17/2016   #12
FallenAngel

The *vast* majority of these are just palette swaps/recolors.
I mean, I get that they can't just churn out 4+ fully featured skins per char when the game isn't even out yet, but I'm afraid that people will see the sheer amount of available recolors as a cash grab.

Ideally, in a game that has a rather hefty base cost like this one, simple recolors should be free, since the real money for MOBA-style games is in alternate skins anyway.
FallenAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/18/2016   #13
X-SOLDIER

…you realize that none of those skins cost ACTUAL money, right? The palette swaps are all immediately available, and the others are all things that you can either win, or get with in-game currency earned by winning things in matches.

YouTube Video

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

#TotzCanon

Thanked by:
Literally Who? (03/18/2016)
Old 03/18/2016   #14
Literally Who?

Not to mention they don't really look that bad AND they are pretty to look at. They look like they actually took skill to make and weren't half assed.

Want to see some real garbage? Look up smite skins. Here I'll save you the trouble and screen cap a few

Thanked by 3:
Cthulhu (03/18/2016), Joe (03/18/2016), X-SOLDIER (03/18/2016)
Old 03/18/2016   #15
FallenAngel

X-SOLDIER wrote: …you realize that none of those skins cost ACTUAL money, right? The palette swaps are all immediately available, and the others are all things that you can either win, or get with in-game currency earned by winning things in matches.

YouTube Video

X
I did not, in fact.
Nowhere in the video(I watched the first one) does it insinuate that though(all palette swaps appear locked in the vid with a "price" next to them, that didn't look like immediately available to me...there wasn't a voice-over explaining Overwatch's skin system either so I just went and assumed it works like other MOBAs I've heard of) and Overwatch isn't a game I've followed that closely(I've seen enough gameplay clips to be interested but haven't bothered checking out their monetization scheme) so I guess I got mislead.
Thanks for clearing that up then.

Gabriel wrote: Not to mention they don't really look that bad AND they are pretty to look at. They look like they actually took skill to make and weren't half assed.

Want to see some real garbage? Look up smite skins. Here I'll save you the trouble and screen cap a few

Have played neither game and the screens for Smite are really pretty tiny so their exact quality is hard to judge from just those pics, that said a recolor is a recolor is a recolor.
A skinny Smite dude with a light paintjob vs the same dude with a dark paintjob doesn't excite me any more than a Overwatch robot with a light grey paintjob vs the same robot with a dark grey paintjob.

They're both comparatively low effort works and I see little reason to bash one game for it and not another?

The gold/blue, gold/black and silver/blue palettes that seem to color the character's skin and hair as well() and drown out all details look like complete crap though, I'll give you that.
Is that indicative of the general skin quality for the game or did you just pick a bunch that were especially bad?
FallenAngel is offline   Reply With Quote