The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.


Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Compilation of Final Fantasy VII > Final Fantasy VII

Final Fantasy VII All events from the 1997 classic RPG, with which it all began.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07/06/2015   #1
hleV
Default Why Did Sephiroth Take Jenova's Head

Sephiroth was after Jenova's whole body but due to his injury he could only take a smaller part. Why did he need her body in the first place? Why did he believe it was a good idea to just rip her head off and take it with him?

Last edited by hleV; 07/10/2015 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Typo in title. Derp.
hleV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/06/2015   #2
Vito
Default

JasonTandro wrote: My Interpretation:

At this point it wasn't truly Sephiroth moving around but JENOVA taking Sephiroth's form. Sephiroth was still encased in the Lifestream at the Northern Crater. JENOVA needed the cells from her body and the one thing we know about JENOVA cells is they reproduce like a mother...

In essence taking the head was just a nice portable (and of course, morbidly gorey) thing to carry so that the JENOVA cells could spread. At least that's how I saw it.
How can Sephiroth control Jenova during the Nibelheim incident?
Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Jason Tandro (07/06/2015)
Old 07/06/2015   #3
Jason Tandro
Default

I take all that back. Forgive me I'm running on like 4 hours of sleep.
Jason Tandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Vito (07/06/2015)
Old 07/06/2015   #4
Mr. Ite
Default

I wonder if it was the head, and not Sephiroth, that drew the flunkies to Knowlespole...
Mr. Ite is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
AvecAloes (08/22/2015)
Old 07/07/2015   #5
Clement Rage
Default

Hojo thinks so, anyway.
Clement Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/07/2015   #6
Flare
Default

I always assumed Sephiroth did it on a whim perhaps, since he was pretty crazy at the moment, and then it became a good thing because he had a lot more of her cells and stuff to control once he was in the Lifestream.
Best guess right now anyhow.
Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/07/2015   #7
Starling
Default

I figured it was because while he managed to get back up after being stabbed with the Buster Sword in a way that by all rights should've cut him in half, he was probably only standing out of sheer hatred of the fact someone as insignificant as a Shinra MP did it. He was too wounded to carry Jenova's entire body out of the reactor, so he decided to cut his losses and settle for just the head. As far as I can tell, he at the very least had trouble walking at that point.
Starling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/07/2015   #8
Jason Tandro
Default

Yeah that's another question I have. How does one just "get stabbed" by the Buster Sword?

That thing is almost as big as Sanosuke's sword from the first season of Ruruoni Kenshin.


You know the sword designed to cleave through HORSES? Forget walking, even a super-soldier like Sephiroth should have trouble holding in his internal organs after being hit by that thing.

Maybe I'm over-thinking it.
Jason Tandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
Flare (07/07/2015), Howl (07/07/2015)
Old 07/07/2015   #9
Starling
Default

Which is exactly why the lack of even just blood really bothers me about the CC version of that scene. At least in the OG it could be dismissed as graphical limitations. Heck, Last Order's version may have that Sephiroth jumped BS but at least it showed blood. That change in the scene is basically the only real issue I have with it.

In any case Sephiroth probably had about an inch of flesh still attaching his two halves and ended up losing the legs by the time he ended up in the north crater. I think even Cloud thought he wouldn't be able to get up from that, hence why he went to check on Tifa. His expression when Sephiroth cuts off Jenova's head and tries to walk away always struck me as "WTF how are you even standing" to me. The only way I can rationalize it is if Sephiroth can actually heal that fast.
Starling is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
Aya Lee (12/09/2015), Flare (07/07/2015)
Old 07/07/2015   #10
Mr. Ite
Default

Or you know, Sephiroth lost the bottom half of his body. Take a look at the Northern Crater sequence again. He seems to be floating in that crystal, but his hair kind of hangs below where his torso fades away. The next time you see him, six white wings are sprouting from his abdomen.
Mr. Ite is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Flare (07/07/2015)
Old 07/07/2015   #11
Starling
Default

Mr. Ite wrote: Or you know, Sephiroth lost the bottom half of his body. Take a look at the Northern Crater sequence again. He seems to be floating in that crystal, but his hair kind of hangs below where his torso fades away. The next time you see him, six white wings are sprouting from his abdomen.
Do you mean Sephiroth losing the bottom half of his body not having to do with being cut in half? To be honest I was just grasping at straws to find some way in which canon acknowledges that he should've been cut in half by the Buster Sword. I still think my interpretation of why Cloud didn't make extra sure Sephiroth wasn't getting back up from that before checking on Tifa has some merit though.
Starling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/07/2015   #12
Mr. Ite
Default

I mean to say that Cloud cut Sephiroth mostly in half, and that blow killed Sephiroth.

imo Sephiroth is kind of dying even as he tries to leave the reactor. Being hurled from a catwalk into a wall, then falling 100 metres into a pool of radioactive waste sounds to me like it would finish the job the Buster sword started.

Oh! I missed this:

Clement Rage wrote: Hojo thinks so, anyway.
I disagree. Hojo immediately gives up actual science as soon as he's able to claim that his son is awesome, because Hojo's flaw is Pride (well... his fatal flaw) In fact, Hojo's immediate and untested assumption that Sephiroth (and not the head or the Lifestream-saturated rendezvous point) is what drew the flunkies is a result of his hubris and narcissism, not scientific thought.

Thus it has thrown the Jenova vs. Sephiroth debate into pure anarchic chaos.
Mr. Ite is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
Flare (07/08/2015), Kieron_ODuibhir (09/27/2017)
Old 07/07/2015   #13
Starling
Default

So we're basically in agreement. We'll never really know for sure whether or not Sephiroth would've been able to recover from being stabbed but as it stands Cloud throwing Sephiroth into the wall ended up being the killing blow. I went and got screenshots of the relevant parts of the scene. Cloud really does look like he doesn't get how Sephiroth got back up from that and I don't really blame him. I may have made a similar face when I first saw that version of the scene. The Buster Sword looks like it should've at least severed Sephiroth's spine, judging by the angle.
Attached Images
File Type: png Cloud stabbing Sephiroth.png (538.4 KB, 89 views)
File Type: png Sephiroth.png (467.1 KB, 33 views)
File Type: png Cloud.png (329.0 KB, 35 views)
Starling is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
Flare (07/08/2015), Mr. Ite (07/09/2015)
Old 07/07/2015   #14
Howl
Default

It's quite obvious that Sephiroth has a gravity materia equipped and it's holding his body together. Quite obvious.
__________________
lithiumkatana17 wrote: How are you typing this if your hands are noodles?
Channizard wrote: fuck a cracker that is beautiful
Howl is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 4:
Cthulhu (07/08/2015), Minato (07/10/2015), Mr. Ite (07/09/2015), Ravynne Nevyrmore (07/12/2015)
Old 07/08/2015   #15
Flare
Default

True, that stab with the Buster Sword should severed his spine and almost cut his body in half. I think the reason he's still moving is pure strength of will, and we know Sephiroth has a high strength of will.

Or gravity materia.
Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:03 AM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.