The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Site, Forums, Staff & Projects > Active Projects & Events

Active Projects & Events Discussion on current TLS projects

Old 08/07/2017   #151
Jason Tandro

Chapter 7: The End of Yuna's Journey
(aka "Do we have a deal? Do we have a deal? DO WE HAVE A DEAL?")
(aka "Your was truly a gallant race. They threw themselves at me. One after another.")

Time: Monday August 07 to Sunday August 13

Target: Upon defeating the beast at the threshold of Zanarkand.

Okay so this is all about the Calm Lands and Mt Gagazet but it is an enormous chapter, make no mistake. First off you can simply cross the open plains to Mt. Gagazet but that's doing it wrong. You gotta stop by the arena obviously and start hunting down monsters for goodies. If you are truly devoted you can back track as far as the north entrance of Guadosalam and get all the creatures in the Thunder Plains, Macalania and the Calm Lands right now (as well as Gagazet and the Calm Lands Cave later).

You can also begin messing about with a chocobo and gain access to the Remiem Temple where you can challenge Belgemine to some more Aeon battles and win prizes or take part in a frustrating and obnoxious chocobo race which can go die in a fire (it's actually not that bad unless you want to win).

Then after tackling a boss you can head to Gagazet or you can head to the valley between the Calm Lands and Gagazet and visit a cave to both tackle some of Lulu's unfinished business and get a potentially powerful (but perturbingly pricey) new Aeon.

Into the land of the Ronso, Mt. Gagazet we go and begin with a bit of Kimahri's unfinished business. In this fight you can learn an enormous amount of the Blue Magic that Kimahri can learn so if you've been slacking now is a great chance to catch up. When we finally reach the summit we have another big bad boss fight with the usual clown and then finally a massive cutscene followed by perhaps the biggest revelation in the game.

And then we still have a trial filed cave and another boss fight to go through before we complete this chapter! Hoo boy, this is a long'un.

Discussion:
  • How much time did you spend fooling around in the Calm Lands? Did you visit the arena and remiem temple? How much time did you devote to these activities?
  • Did you enter the Calm Lands Gorge Cave to obtain Yojimbo? What do you think of Yojimbo as an Aeon and his mechanics?
  • How did Kimahri handle his 1V2 match? Did you stock up on Blue Magic or were you good to go already?
  • Did you meet Wantz and avail yourself to his expensive but versatile gear? What do you think of the O'aka story arc going on in the background?
  • If you're a first time player what did you think of the massive revelation at the summit? If you're a returner, how do you think it holds up as a story element, especially when compared with other massive twists in the series? (Spoiler Tags please)
Jason Tandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Flare (08/08/2017)
Old 08/07/2017   #152
Omega

if you don't like yojimbo, that's okay

because it's okay to be wrong
Old 08/07/2017   #153
Kionae

Chapter 7

How much time did you spend fooling around in the Calm Lands? Did you visit the arena and remiem temple? How much time did you devote to these activities?
Far too much. Calm Lands is usually where I start grinding the ever living crap out of my party, so I actually did a lot while I was here. I learned to ride a Chocobo with the end goal of obtaining Tidus' celestial weapon. Then paid a visit to Remiem Temple and started the sidequest for obtaining the Magus Sisters, and also ran through that annoying chocobo race for the Cloudy Mirror. Then I paid a visit to the arena and picked up the weapons I need to start capturing fiends... and then captured all the Calm Land fiends, which took forever, because for some reason Chimera Brains never wanted to spawn.

THEN, I backtracked and caught all the fiends in Macalania and the Thunder Plains.

Next, having gained a metric ass-ton of levels and a lot of gil, it was off to the cavern of the stolen fayth to pick up Yojimbo (and more fiends for the arena... I got nailed by a tonberry a couple of times before I finally caught one).

Did you enter the Calm Lands Gorge Cave to obtain Yojimbo? What do you think of Yojimbo as an Aeon and his mechanics?
Yes. I like Yojimbo, personally. I know it's a cheap shot, but Zanmato is a lifesaver when you're frustrated with a battle and desperately want to move on.

How did Kimahri handle his 1V2 match? Did you stock up on Blue Magic or were you good to go already?
I managed to pick of everything I was missing by that point except White Wind. For some reason I couldn't grab that one.

Did you meet Wantz and avail yourself to his expensive but versatile gear? What do you think of the O'aka story arc going on in the background?
I ran into Wantz, but didn't buy much off him (mostly because I spent all my damn cash recruiting Yojimbo). I did refill my healing items, though. Poor O'aka.

If you're a first time player what did you think of the massive revelation at the summit? If you're a returner, how do you think it holds up as a story element, especially when compared with other massive twists in the series? (Spoiler Tags please)
One thing I never quite understood about FFX mythology is (SPOILER) how did all those people on Mt. Gagazet become fayth in the first place? It seems to be a process. Seymour's mother was MADE into a fayth. Zaon was MADE into a fayth. All of the fayth for the subsequent Final Aeons had to be created by Yunalesca. So who exactly created so many fayth in the aftermath of a war that wiped out the general population of Zanarkand?

Awards 'n Stuffs

Least Likely to Win an Award - 2nd Place
Kionae is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Jason Tandro (08/07/2017)
Old 08/07/2017   #154
Channy

Phew... I got some catching up to do here..

Chapter 3

Discussion:
  • Given the major revelation we get about Tidus's relationship with Sin, what are your thoughts? How do you think it works as a story element?
  • Dear god we're bringing it up again: What did you think about the laughing scene? You a hater or defender?
  • Question from ChipNoir that I wanted to add: What do you think about the lack of a water-based Aeon in a game surrounded by water? Why no Leviathan, Bismarck etc?
  • Were you able to beat the Chocobo Eater or did you have to walk the Old Road of Shame?
  • Knowing what we know about Yevon, do you think Operation Mi'ihen was worth doing still or was is it a mistake? Not in terms of confirmation bias, do you think the plan itself was foolish or still admirable?
  • What do you think about the use of Ixion instead of the traditional Ramuh for our lightning themed summon this time around?

- See, it's because of Tidus' relationship with Sin that I find him a totally relatable and realistic character. Sure, he's a farcry from the previous FF heroes... but the dude's dad, who was a raging abusive alcoholic that hated him, turns out to be this giant inter-dimensional whale thing that snatches him from the "life" he knew into this other world, and then he finds out he has to kill him.... I mean, that's a lot to take in and I find that if you WEREN'T at least a little whiny or insecure about the whole ordeal, then you're just dead inside.

- YAY Laughing scene. I love it. I love it to bits. I've expressed my love and how it's actually AUTHENTIC to have the bad acting for it several times so I'll spare you for now

- I did notice that too even since the first time I played it. It feels... odd.. and almost cheated in a way considering you have 3 other non-elemental Aeons so it's like.. they're stealing the spot?

- I got my guidebook so I beat it this time around. Previous versions/run throughs I've always failed but I needed those lv 3 spheres damn it.

- Operation Mi'ihem seemed a bit foolish but maybe because it felt like they didn't have enough man power? Maybe I've been watching too much GoT but they looked/it felt severely underwhelming in terms of man vs Sin. If they had more giant weapons and more people, maybe it would have been worth fighting.

- Ixion was also an interesting choice. I don't love it or hate it. I guess, I don't have much to say?

Chapter 4
Discussion:
  • On the Moonflow we can benefit from O'aka's charity if we've been donating to him. So... have you been funding our friend O'aka?
  • Now that Rikku is in the party, do you have any plans for special Customizations you've been looking forward to?
  • The Farplane is a bit iffy in the lore - the Al Bhed state that the pyreflies just create the vision of the dead, whereas the Yevonites believe it's truly the souls. It'd be easy to dismiss this if it weren't for other events later in the game and in FFX-2. What do you think?
  • Do the Thunder Plains annoy the ever-loving shit out of you or do you not mind them so much?
  • Did you go against my advice and face the butterflies? Do you enjoy that sidequest?
  • Given the last cutscene we see this chapter it's time to open up the Jecht can of worms. Do you think his feelings being expressed later make up for how he treated Tidus as a kid? Do you think there is more for him to repent for?

- Fuck O'aka. That is all.
- I've got the old guide book which came with a big poster of all the customization skills but I never utilized it before.. I might try this round. Nothing planned thus far I like to just roll the dice.
- Really? that's odd I never knew the difference in lores.. I always thought it was just a vision of the dead, because they don't talk, right? At least in that scene they don't.. but you're right, then X-2 happens and it throws you for some continuity loop.
- Ugh fuck the Thunder Plains. I can never get the dodging right so even crossing normally is a chore. And the music is odd for the area, it's all very weird.
- I tried the butterfly thing twice.. didn't do too bad but once you get sucked into it you feel you need to keep going until you get it.
- No. fuck Jecht. It took a lot (later in the game) to happen for him to be redeemable to me.. even here I wasn't won over.

Chapter 5

I always thought it said "I'm an annoying cunt"

Discussion:
  • Did you have any trouble with the first machina boss? He can be a bit challenging if you're unprepared.
  • Who did you end up riding on the snowmobile with? Apparently Lulu, Rikku, Auron and Kimahri are possible.
  • What are your thoughts on Seymour and his motivation, as well as the motivation of the Guado people who follow him?
  • Did the infamous bout against (SPOILER) Anima ruin your day?
  • Based on what we find out in the Al Bhed Home do you think the kidnappings were justified or were they still a violation of rights, albeit a well-intentioned one?

- Yeah the Machina boss took me for a bit of a surprise... way back the first time I played the game and now again. Ahh well, some things you just forget I guess.
- Lulu! ... again. Was hoping for Rikku to spice things up as I've gotten Lulu before, but she's a fun ride-buddy anyway.
- Ehhh Seymour. He's a slimeball and right from the beginning (back in Luca) you knew he was a slimeball.. and then him making a move on Yuna just solidifies the slimeballiness.
- fecking Anima.. even after watching someone's videos on how to do the boss fight quick, it still took me 3 rounds.
- I always feel torn about this. Because their intentions are good at heart, though somewhat misguided with the kidnappings, but Summoners are so headstrong with their intent on completing the pilgrimage that I guess.. kidnapping was the only way they could accomplish saving their lives. But if no one tries to defeat Sin and Sin stays instead of dying during a Calm.. then wouldn't Sin just kill everyone/thing sooner and nothing would be left anyway? ..whoa, has that ever been addressed? If no one completes a pilgrimage and Sin doesn't die.. does it just continue to wage war on everything until there's nothing left?

Wowzers.. that was a lot to catch up on/review... that'll teach me not to come online for more than 3 days

So, why do you come here?
Same as you, I think. I've been here a lot...
You must have a lot going on your mind, I suppose.
Yeah, but I'd rather have nothing for a change. How do you do it?
Well, it comes with practice. I can think of nothing.
I do not feel the need to occupy my mind with nonsense, just to avoid thinking about what really matters.

Channy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 4:
Flare (08/07/2017), Jason Tandro (08/07/2017), Kionae (08/07/2017), Teioh (08/07/2017)
Old 08/07/2017   #155
Mr. Ite

Stuck on Chapter 6 because no Blitzball makes Homer something something
Mr. Ite is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 4:
Channy (08/08/2017), Flintlock (08/08/2017), Jason Tandro (08/07/2017), Kionae (08/09/2017)
Old 08/07/2017   #156
Omega

Kionae wrote: One thing I never quite understood about FFX mythology is (SPOILER) how did all those people on Mt. Gagazet become fayth in the first place? It seems to be a process. Seymour's mother was MADE into a fayth. Zaon was MADE into a fayth. All of the fayth for the subsequent Final Aeons had to be created by Yunalesca. So who exactly created so many fayth in the aftermath of a war that wiped out the general population of Zanarkand?
(SPOILER)
Well, Yunalesca was never required to turn people into fayth - only the fayth of the Final Summoning. Given that the fayth of Gagazet are what's being used to summon Sin (and dream!Zanarkand), it was most likely Yu Yevon himself.
Old 08/08/2017   #157
Kionae

Godot wrote:
Kionae wrote: One thing I never quite understood about FFX mythology is (SPOILER) how did all those people on Mt. Gagazet become fayth in the first place? It seems to be a process. Seymour's mother was MADE into a fayth. Zaon was MADE into a fayth. All of the fayth for the subsequent Final Aeons had to be created by Yunalesca. So who exactly created so many fayth in the aftermath of a war that wiped out the general population of Zanarkand?
(SPOILER)
Well, Yunalesca was never required to turn people into fayth - only the fayth of the Final Summoning. Given that the fayth of Gagazet are what's being used to summon Sin (and dream!Zanarkand), it was most likely Yu Yevon himself.
But... (SPOILER) don't the Gagazet fayth only summon dream Zanarkand?
I thought that Sin (in its current incarnation, at any rate) wasn't actually summoned. Yu Yevon created/summoned the first Sin himself, and subsequent Sins were built around the final aeons of the summoners that defeated it.

Awards 'n Stuffs

Old 08/08/2017   #158
Cthulhu

Mr. Ite wrote: Stuck on Chapter 6 because no Blitzball makes Homer something something
...go crazy?
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
Flintlock (08/08/2017), Jason Tandro (08/08/2017)
Old 08/08/2017   #159
Jason Tandro

Cthulhu wrote:
Mr. Ite wrote: Stuck on Chapter 6 because no Blitzball makes Homer something something
...go crazy?

DON'T MIND IF I DO!
Thanked by 3:
Cthulhu (08/08/2017), Flintlock (08/08/2017), Kionae (08/08/2017)
Old 08/08/2017   #160
Jason Tandro

Chapter 8: Through Zanarkand up to the airship
Chapter 9: Sidequests and Omega Ruins
Chapter 10: Visiting the Fayth and Sin
Old 08/08/2017   #161
Cthulhu

Jason Tandro wrote:
Cthulhu wrote:
...go crazy?

DON'T MIND IF I DO!
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
Jason Tandro (08/08/2017), Kionae (08/09/2017)
Old 08/09/2017   #162
Omega

Kionae wrote:
Godot wrote:
(SPOILER)
But... (SPOILER) don't the Gagazet fayth only summon dream Zanarkand?
I thought that Sin (in its current incarnation, at any rate) wasn't actually summoned. Yu Yevon created/summoned the first Sin himself, and subsequent Sins were built around the final aeons of the summoners that defeated it.
From the wiki:

(SPOILER)
A thousand years ago the cities Zanarkand and Bevelle were at war, which came to be known as the Machina War. Unable to stop Bevelle's armies, the leader of Zanarkand, Yu Yevon, sacrificed his people by turning them into fayth to preserve the metropolis in a dream state at the height of its power, and to summon a creature of unspeakable power to defend it: Sin.
Old 08/09/2017   #163
Kionae

Okay... (SPOILER) so if Yu Yevon created and then used the Gagazet fayth to summon the first Sin, which was subsequently destroyed, are they still summoning it? Or is Sin, being recreated from the Final Aeon of the last summoner to defeat it, now autonomous and separate from the fayth?

Awards 'n Stuffs

Old 08/09/2017   #164
Flintlock

As the Community Manager before Jason, I will make sure this event reaches its conclusion, if I have to. If anyone would like to volunteer to take it on, however, the job is yours. JT posted his ideas for the final three chapters above so you'll just need to come up with some discussion topics. Let me know by Sunday.
Flintlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Lex (08/09/2017)
Old 08/09/2017   #165
Kionae

I'll do it, unless someone else is just dying to.

Awards 'n Stuffs

Thanked by 4:
Flare (08/09/2017), Flintlock (08/09/2017), Lex (08/09/2017), Teioh (08/09/2017)