The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Site, Forums, Staff & Projects > Forum News & Information

Forum News & Information News and issues concerning the forums go here

Old 06/19/2012   #1
Ryushikaze
Default Onto the topic of voting (but not the voting, just yet)

No, it's not vote time just yet, but given we have two mod spots to fill, a standard poll won't do the job.

So, a few options.
Multiple choice poll. You'd be limited to two votes, any abuse of the system would be stripped.

Public write in Poll. Write in your two choices. Can't vote for the same person twice, since they can't have two mod spots.

Private write in- Same as above, but private, if folks want it. I doubt you do, but it's there.

Two Standard Polls in quick succession. All Nominees are on the first ballot. Whoever is voted highest is removed from the second one. Voting can either be public or private for this as well.

If you have another method, feel free to suggest it.
Thanked by:
The Pyro (06/20/2012)
Old 06/19/2012   #2
Rumpelstiltskin

Why happening with the voting out?
Rumpelstiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/19/2012   #3
Ghost X

I think the poll should be anonymous, like any good election.

2017 1st Runner-Up -- Member You'd Most Want to Meet.

2017 1st Runner-Up -- Best Voice.

2017 2nd Place Winner -- Most Likely To Back Out Of A Fight But Remain... Victorious.
Ghost X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/19/2012   #4
Flintlock

What happened to the suggestion that each mod would get their own vote? That allows people to indicate who they don't want to become one, as well as who they do.
Flintlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Tifabelle (06/19/2012)
Old 06/19/2012   #5
Tifabelle

Ryushikaze wrote: Multiple choice poll. You'd be limited to two votes, any abuse of the system would be stripped.
Out of your suggestions, this would be the one I'd go with.

Although originally when I had pictured it, I thought each mod/candidate would get their own thread/poll. That was before each got a Q&A thread. And people could either support or not support that person, and the people with the most support would be the ones to get the green light. So idk if that would be a thing you'd want to do.

Oh and private. Definitely should be a private vote.

No, it's not vote time just yet, but given we have two mod spots to fill, a standard poll won't do the job.
Quick question about this. Two? or three? Cause I couldn't help but notice Force put into the Retired Staff category. With Tenny & Force gone, you'd have to fill those two, plus the one you wanted before any of the staff left. idk if you feel like you need that many, but just asking.

(SPOILER) Pokemon by GLD, signature by Tiff
Tifabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 6:
Celes Chere (06/19/2012), Chloe Frazer (06/20/2012), looneymoon (06/20/2012), Octo (06/19/2012), Sheva Alomar (06/19/2012), The Pyro (06/20/2012)
Old 06/19/2012   #6
Octo

I'd like 3 new mods ideally, that way hopefully, we can get wider variety of personalities and everybody will be pleased with at least one choice. Also, there is a chance that those elected might need/want to step down after a while and this saves us the trouble of having to do all this again in a few months time.

Oh and whatever option, private is definitely the way to go. During these Q&A sessions I've noticed that its the same people asking questions, now maybe thats because other members were going to ask the same questions but have been saved the trouble, but It could also be because they don't feel comfortable doing it.

Also, its probably better if Mods don't know who did or didn't vote for them to prevent accusations of bias in future.

(Mostly Manics related things but some other stuff and more things being added all the time! <3

https://www.redbubble.com/people/rom...dropdown&asc=u
Octo is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 4:
Chloe Frazer (06/20/2012), looneymoon (06/20/2012), The Pyro (06/20/2012), Tifabelle (06/19/2012)
Old 06/19/2012   #7
Sheva Alomar

Imho, we should do three mods total. Kristen has a good point, as well as Octo.

I'll gladly volunteer myself to take the votes.
Old 06/19/2012   #8
CK

Don't do it adri will rig the voting.

Au milieu de mes semblables
Je vois des monstres
J'entends des hurlements
La gorge comprimée
Dans un étau austère
Les yeux bandés
Je me sens étranger
CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Sheva Alomar (06/19/2012)
Old 06/19/2012   #9
Ryushikaze

At the moment, we're -officially- looking at two, but this is entirely seat of pants, so the total is subject to change. That's not to contradict Adri, just a note that shit's still progressing. Expect updates.

As for the individual private votes for mods on a nominee by nominee basis, it would have to continue on beyond the initial round of voting, unless there is a clear swing towards only two particular moderators, and would drag out these proceedings even longer.

If that is what you all prefer, however, we can swing that.
Old 06/19/2012   #10
Flintlock

An abbreviated version of that would be to give everyone a choice of giving a + or - vote to each nominee, or not voting for them at all. Then select the two candidates with the biggest net score. It would have to be done through PMs.

The problem with most of the voting systems you suggested as I see it is that a nominee who has a solid core of support but is disliked by a majority will do better than someone who everyone would be happy with but is not the first or second choice of many.
Flintlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/19/2012   #11
Tifabelle

Flintlock wrote: An abbreviated version of that would be to give everyone a choice of giving a + or - vote to each nominee, or not voting for them at all. Then select the two candidates with the biggest net score. It would have to be done through PMs.
That's sort of how we do the awards nominees. It's a lot of work, ngl. I think making individual threads for each person would be less work.

Oh I just want to comment on something too. I really encourage everyone to vote, even if it's a "no" on a candidate. Don't be afraid to put up a vote that you're for or against someone if it's how you really feel. I don't want people to feel they should abstain if they don't want someone as a mod. Unless you really are undecided on a person.

(SPOILER) Pokemon by GLD, signature by Tiff
Tifabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 11:
Celes Chere (06/19/2012), Chloe Frazer (06/20/2012), CK (06/19/2012), Dana Scully (06/19/2012), Flintlock (06/19/2012), looneymoon (06/20/2012), Madame Mayor (06/19/2012), Octo (06/19/2012), Serah Farron (06/19/2012), Sheva Alomar (06/19/2012), The Pyro (06/20/2012)
Old 06/19/2012   #12
Octo

Chris Redfield wrote: Oh I just want to comment on something too. I really encourage everyone to vote, even if it's a "no" on a candidate. Don't be afraid to put up a vote that you're for or against someone if it's how you really feel. I don't want people to feel they should abstain if they don't want someone as a mod. Unless you really are undecided on a person.

Seriously, I agree 100%. I want everyone to vote, even those who think it might not concern them because they only look at the FFVII forums or something.

In fact maybe we should add something somewhere prominent to let people know these votes are happening? People who don't check the feedback forum might not even know about them?

(Mostly Manics related things but some other stuff and more things being added all the time! <3

https://www.redbubble.com/people/rom...dropdown&asc=u
Octo is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Celes Chere (06/19/2012)
Old 06/19/2012   #13
CK

An announcement would do the trick since they show up at the top of every forum and sub forum iirc.

Au milieu de mes semblables
Je vois des monstres
J'entends des hurlements
La gorge comprimée
Dans un étau austère
Les yeux bandés
Je me sens étranger
CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 8:
Celes Chere (06/19/2012), Dana Scully (06/19/2012), Dawnbreaker (06/20/2012), looneymoon (06/20/2012), Octo (06/19/2012), Serah Farron (06/19/2012), Sheva Alomar (06/19/2012), Tifabelle (06/19/2012)
Old 06/19/2012   #14
Cookie Monster

Just have two or three polls one after the other guys. Not that hard.
Cookie Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 3:
Celes Chere (06/19/2012), Serah Farron (06/19/2012), Tifabelle (06/19/2012)
Old 06/19/2012   #15
Makoeyes987

Let's just hope it doesn't go the way of the TLS voting and awards

I guess we'll just make sure Force isn't the one counting. XD
Makoeyes987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 3:
Celes Chere (06/19/2012), CK (06/19/2012), Madame Mayor (06/19/2012)