The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Final Fantasy > Classic Final Fantasy (I - VI)

Classic Final Fantasy (I - VI) Discussion area for all Final Fantasy titles before Final Fantasy VII.

Old 04/25/2018   #1
Vixenish
Default Best way to play FFI-FFVI?

In light of the remake coming up I want to play through all the classics and then play the remake. However, when I downloaded FFI to my android it keeps crashing at certain points in the game. That was first frustrating, and then a total cockblock when it started doing it whenever I would start the fight at the castle since you can't advance without beating that boss.

Is it out on something else that would work better? I've got most modern consoles(Meaning from 2000 forward)
Vixenish is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
Addy Carver (04/25/2018), Tennyo (04/25/2018)
Old 04/25/2018   #2
ForceStealer

FFs I, II, and IV are best on PSP (IV being "IV Complete Collection")

III your only option is the DS remake which is on PC as well now I guess.

Though V and VI are available on mobile and PC, I personally find those ports hideous, and would recommend the GBA or SNES/PS1 versions.

hitoshura wrote: Don't belittle my peoples, bitch. We work hard and we do what we're told. And might possibly be Scottish.
ultima espio wrote: I'm not sure if it was a BOMB, it could have been MAKO, KING, BEST, or ORBS.
ForceStealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 4:
Minato (04/25/2018), Mr. Ite (04/27/2018), Teioh (04/25/2018), Tennyo (04/25/2018)
Old 04/25/2018   #3
Tennyo

Final Fantasy Origins will allow you to play I and II and Final Fantasy Anthology will allow you to play V and VI on PS2/3(/4?).

Old 04/25/2018   #4
ChipNoir

GBA emulation with mods to correct sound, and additional content.
ChipNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
BforBrigitta (04/26/2018)
Old 04/25/2018   #5
leadmyskeptic

Ive been thinking about finally giving VI its fair day in court (as a teen I was kind of put off by it), but am confuses by the seemingly endless versions. I got the SNES classic a while back and they have the original version on there (as FFIII), but I'm curious as to whether any of the ports added anything truly worthwhile
leadmyskeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
BforBrigitta (04/26/2018)
Old 04/25/2018   #6
Addy Carver

I've got FFI on the iPhone and remember reading that the android version was glitchy as fuck. The iPhone version is actually alright, just annoying for being a small screen.
Glad you asked anyway, I'm doing the same thing slowly.

Also holy shitcocks it's Rinoa, how the devil are you?
Gold Most Likely to out Bitchslap a bitch on the Sister Ray or some shit
Silver Crack Ship (Cthulhage)
Silver Cheekiest Bastard
Bronze Most Likely to Burn Down a Village
Bronze Most Sage/Knowledgeable
Copper Best Arse
Copper Would Like to Bang Most
Addy Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Vixenish (04/26/2018)
Old 04/25/2018   #7
ChipNoir

leadmyskeptic wrote: Ive been thinking about finally giving VI its fair day in court (as a teen I was kind of put off by it), but am confuses by the seemingly endless versions. I got the SNES classic a while back and they have the original version on there (as FFIII), but I'm curious as to whether any of the ports added anything truly worthwhile
The GBA versions have poor sound quality, but minor extras in the form of extra items, summons, and I can't recall, but I think at least IV and V have extra dungeons.

The GBA version also restores the censored version of Celes's interrogation.

Otherwise there isn't a huge difference.
ChipNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
leadmyskeptic (04/26/2018), Vixenish (04/26/2018)
Old 04/26/2018   #8
JechtShotMK9

ChipNoir wrote:
leadmyskeptic wrote: Ive been thinking about finally giving VI its fair day in court (as a teen I was kind of put off by it), but am confuses by the seemingly endless versions. I got the SNES classic a while back and they have the original version on there (as FFIII), but I'm curious as to whether any of the ports added anything truly worthwhile
The GBA versions have poor sound quality, but minor extras in the form of extra items, summons, and I can't recall, but I think at least IV and V have extra dungeons.

It has a totally different (accurate) translation, fixes a ton of the game-breaking bugs, and nearly a dozen extra boss fights. I'd recommend it over the original any day. I also consider Woosley's translation work to be trash, so take that for what it's worth.
JechtShotMK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 4:
BforBrigitta (04/26/2018), ChipNoir (04/26/2018), leadmyskeptic (04/26/2018), Vixenish (04/26/2018)
Old 04/26/2018   #9
ForceStealer

Personally I prefer the GBA version of FFV, the translation is much better, the graphics look great, and the bonus jobs/dungeons make up for the less-than-ideal sound for me.

For FFVI I like Woolsey's translation, so I'm more inclined to go with the PS1 version.

hitoshura wrote: Don't belittle my peoples, bitch. We work hard and we do what we're told. And might possibly be Scottish.
ultima espio wrote: I'm not sure if it was a BOMB, it could have been MAKO, KING, BEST, or ORBS.
Thanked by 3:
leadmyskeptic (04/26/2018), Mr. Ite (04/27/2018), Vixenish (04/26/2018)
Old 04/26/2018   #10
BforBrigitta

I'm in the GBA version of FFVI camp. You won't regret.
BforBrigitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
leadmyskeptic (04/26/2018), Vixenish (04/26/2018)
Old 04/26/2018   #11
leadmyskeptic

Okay, so I'm glad I posted in this thread, because now some of the differences that are SPECIFIC to each version and what they offer...but now I'm stuck between the PS1 and GBA version lol. It certainly would be easier to get the GBA version going on my comp (I always had a problem burning ISOs and whatnot, so I only ever used PSXe with games I already had the physical disc for), and from the sound of it I would need a mod for the sound effects/music. I remember thinking the FMVs were pretty neat when I played a friend's "Anthology" copy back when it was released, but I imagine they are few and far between, so it sounds like t he GBA version (with appropriate mods) has the most to offer overall.

But, to be clear on this:
There are 3 DIFFERENT dialogue translations, original, PS1, and GBA?? Or the PS1 still uses the original translation, where the GBA one was the first to update/alternate? I never even heard anything about this censorship issue, either. I'm sure I'm overthinking this, but I am the typea dude who is BIG on the first experience being the "right" one (I.E. "Which record do I start with?" when getting into a band etc)
leadmyskeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Vixenish (04/26/2018)
Old 04/26/2018   #12
Vixenish

ChipNoir wrote:

Is it images being censored, or parts of the conversation?

Really what I'm asking, as someone who has never played that particular part of the series, is whether or not one of the versions includes tits. Because like, clear winner, probably.
Old 04/26/2018   #13
Vixenish

Addy Carver wrote: I've got FFI on the iPhone and remember reading that the android version was glitchy as fuck. The iPhone version is actually alright, just annoying for being a small screen.
Glad you asked anyway, I'm doing the same thing slowly.

Also holy shitcocks it's Rinoa, how the devil are you?
Glad I'm not the only one! Figured I wouldn't be, and that you lot would have opinions and research so I could be lazy!

I'm doing alright. Going on 4 years with my current company, married since the last time I posted here, bought a house a couple years ago, and now we're just working on fixing it up. LOTS of yardwork right now.

How are you doing? Any big news?
Old 04/26/2018   #14
JBedford

leadmyskeptic wrote: But, to be clear on this:
There are 3 DIFFERENT dialogue translations, original, PS1, and GBA?? Or the PS1 still uses the original translation, where the GBA one was the first to update/alternate? I never even heard anything about this censorship issue, either. I'm sure I'm overthinking this, but I am the typea dude who is BIG on the first experience being the "right" one (I.E. "Which record do I start with?" when getting into a band etc)
The PS translation is almost identical to SNES. They fixed two things but still mostly Woolsey's original script.

As far as censorship goes:
-SNES version censored skin on sprites, and also removed smoke from enemy sprites. Not used it but there's a patch for this stuff.
-PS version uses all original uncensored sprites
-GBA version censored a li'l bit o' skin on a couple sprites, and also censored the aforementioned interrogation scene. Again, this patch reverted the GBA screen colour compenstation changes and also uncensored those sprites, this patch just uncensors those two aforementioned sprites, and this patch supposedly restored the aforementioned scene -- not used any of these patches and don't know about compatibility or anything

The censorship on sprites is no big deal. But if you are going to regret not being able to see bare pixel ass when you use that summon that you actually probably won't ever use (I didn't even find out how to use summons until after I completed the game!), then you'll want to play PS1 or patch another version.

I've never compared scripts, but I imagine the GBA will be better. Both for being a good English script, but also SNES/PS script is more likely to have been changed because of old Nintendo of America's policies (like their block on religious referencing, which lead Holy to be renamed to Pearl).
JBedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
leadmyskeptic (04/27/2018), Vixenish (04/26/2018)
Old 04/27/2018   #15
ForceStealer

Vixenish wrote: Is it images being censored, or parts of the conversation?

Really what I'm asking, as someone who has never played that particular part of the series, is whether or not one of the versions includes tits. Because like, clear winner, probably.
tits are not on the table (that's a weird image), I think the original version just omitted the scene entirely. It just involves her getting punched while chained up.

Now...there are some almost-tits in the boss fight with the goddess at the end of the game. A version I'm playing now has me excited. It has basically Woolsey's translation, but it's cleaned up over spots that are obvious errors rather than flavor text. You don't have monstrosities like "FENIX DOWN" like in the SNES, and all the scenes and dialogue are uncensored.

Thanked by 2:
leadmyskeptic (04/28/2018), Vixenish (04/27/2018)