The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Site, Forums, Staff & Projects > Forum News & Information

Forum News & Information News and issues concerning the forums go here

Old 06/19/2012   #16
Ryushikaze

Goliath wrote: Just have two or three polls one after the other guys. Not that hard.
Wasn't saying they would be. Just longish, since everyone needs time to vote.
Old 06/19/2012   #17
Ryushikaze

Right, so here's the current system I am thinking of to give every nominee their fair shake, give everyone their confidentiality, and hopefully get through this without wasting too terribly much time.

After the conclusion of the Q and A period, probably that will be Thursday, a list of all the moderator nominations will be posted.
Each member who wishes to vote can take that list and PM it to a member of staff to be selected who will process the votes. Top 2/3 nominees go forward. That voting takes 2 days. Next round, repeat of the same, until it is winnowed to the last 3 moderators.

Voting itself will take the form of PMing the list to the selected member of staff with a +, -, or equals next to the nominee name, for approve, disapprove, and ambivalence/ do not care.
Additional notes can be added to these messages as desired, but are not required.

Does this sound acceptable to everyone? Any suggestions or improvements you would like to add?
Old 06/19/2012   #18
Cookie Monster

I still don't understand why everyone has to go through the trouble of PMing people. Last time we did this, we used polls. We're making things more complicated than they need to be. But, whatever.
Cookie Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 5:
CK (06/19/2012), Dana Scully (06/20/2012), Madame Mayor (06/19/2012), Serah Farron (06/19/2012), Tifabelle (06/19/2012)
Old 06/19/2012   #19
Rumpelstiltskin

Gonna agree with my main hombre here.
Pming your yes and no's seems rather ridiculous when it's easier just to put up polls.
At least then members can watch the progression also.
Rumpelstiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 4:
CK (06/19/2012), Dana Scully (06/20/2012), Madame Mayor (06/19/2012), Serah Farron (06/19/2012)
Old 06/19/2012   #20
Tifabelle

I mean, if other people agree with that, then I'll concede. But it seems to me it would be a whole lot less trouble to just make individual threads. It's still private. And tbh, I think more people would be inclined to participate in the polls than to PM someone. idk, that's my two cents, let anyone else weigh in on it.

(SPOILER) Pokemon by GLD, signature by Tiff
Tifabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 4:
CK (06/19/2012), Dana Scully (06/20/2012), Madame Mayor (06/19/2012), Serah Farron (06/19/2012)
Old 06/19/2012   #21
Joe

Sending a PM takes about as much time as making a post or two (something we all do) so honestly it's just as simple as putting up a poll. If we make a poll however, I'd put my two cents and say that it ought to be private.

We want people voting on the nominees merits. If the poll is public then it encourages strategic voting which really shouldn't be the case here.

Either way, it's all easy enough.

Reject common sense to make the impossible possible!

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 6:
Dana Scully (06/20/2012), Flintlock (06/19/2012), Octo (06/19/2012), Serah Farron (06/19/2012), Tetsujin (06/20/2012), Tifabelle (06/19/2012)
Old 06/19/2012   #22
Cookie Monster

There's a problem with creating individual polls. There are going to be several morons that'll cast votes in every thread, which could lead to multiple people tying for positions.

Iirc, polls have always been private when it comes to these sorts of things. And polls lessen the chance of human error which could occur with PMs.
Old 06/19/2012   #23
Flintlock

Goliath wrote: There's a problem with creating individual polls. There are going to be several morons that'll cast votes in every thread, which could lead to multiple people tying for positions.

And, iirc, polls have always been private when it comes to these sorts of things. And polls lessen the chance of human error which could occur with PMs.
I thought the whole idea was that you could vote in individual polls? That way you can vote either yes or no for everyone. The candidates with the greatest number of net positive votes would become staff. Otherwise there really would be no point in having multiple polls
Flintlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
The Pyro (06/20/2012), Tifabelle (06/19/2012)
Old 06/19/2012   #24
Tifabelle

yeah, there's definitely pros and cons to both of the options. So it's just a matter of which appears to be the lesser of two evils.

imo though Road, everyone should have an opinion on each candidate. Although, I can see how it would be a problem because there's no weight to say I prefer one more than another. But in that regard, the polls vs the PM both have that same issue. I could PM the list with + next to each candidate all the same as voting "yes" in every poll.

Old 06/19/2012   #25
Tifabelle

Flintlock wrote: I thought the whole idea was that you could vote in individual polls? That way you can vote either yes or no for everyone. The candidates with the greatest number of net positive votes would become staff. Otherwise there really would be no point in having multiple polls
I actually agree with you Flint. But what Road is saying though is this. Let's just say everyone voted yes on every candidate. Well then all the candidates are tied. Then what?

Although in the case of a tie, I guess I'd leave it up to either current staff or yop by himself to cast the final say.

Thanked by 2:
Flintlock (06/19/2012), The Pyro (06/20/2012)
Old 06/19/2012   #26
Flintlock

Chris Redfield wrote: I actually agree with you Flint. But what Road is saying though is this. Let's just say everyone voted yes on every candidate. Well then all the candidates are tied. Then what?
Then... rock paper scissors?

Seriously though, I think that's pretty unlikely, but even if nobody voted "no" for any candidates, some people would probably get more yes votes than others. And if there really is a tie, Yop or the admins together can choose from the tied candidates.
Flintlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/19/2012   #27
Cookie Monster

We simply have one poll with everyone on it, and leave that up for 3 days or so. The winner gets the position. Rinse and repeat two more times.
Thanked by 3:
Dawnbreaker (06/20/2012), Hisako (06/21/2012), Sheva Alomar (06/19/2012)
Old 06/19/2012   #28
Tifabelle

yeah. Bottom line is that I'm still in favor of the polls, but I can see the pros and cons of both sides.

Thanked by:
Madame Mayor (06/19/2012)
Old 06/20/2012   #29
Dawnbreaker

As much as a PM would appear to be a better way of doing things, IMO, there's too much leeway to run the risk of something getting missed or mixed up. Then, instead of avoiding drama, that's all you'll get.

Polls are pretty straightforward. No misconceptions.

"I'll make you happy," said Life, "But first, I'll make you strong."

"You can do everything right and still lose. That is not weakness; that is Life." Jean-Luc Picard / Patrick Stewart

"It may well be that we will have to repent in this generation not merely for the vitriolic words and the violent actions of the bad people, but for the appalling silence and indifference of the good people." Martin Luthar King Jr.

Dawnbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/20/2012   #30
looneymoon

I guess it would be a bad idea to vote ironically wouldn't it?
Because that could very potentially bite me in the ass

but how am I going to get votes lest it be for the ironic ones

looneymoon is offline   Reply With Quote