The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Compilation of Final Fantasy VII > Final Fantasy VII Remake

Final Fantasy VII Remake The remake of FFVII announced at E3 on June 15th, 2015 -- OUR WHOLE LIVES HAVE BEEN LEADING UP TO THIS MOMENT!!

Old 01/27/2018   #1441
Addy Carver

Cait Sith's character profile wrote: he rides on the back of a huge stuffed Mog he magically brought to life. Megaphone in hand, he's always shouting orders and creating dopey attacks
Cait Sith isn't animatronic, but the Mog is. Cait is a magical being so he could just poof away and sacrifice the Mog in the temple of the ancients and also utilise materia. Unless all this time I've gotten this wrong and you lot are gonna ruin my head-canons
Gold Most Likely to out Bitchslap a bitch on the Sister Ray or some shit
Silver Crack Ship (Cthulhage)
Silver Cheekiest Bastard
Bronze Most Likely to Burn Down a Village
Bronze Most Sage/Knowledgeable
Copper Best Arse
Copper Would Like to Bang Most
Addy Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
X-SOLDIER (01/30/2018)
Old 01/27/2018   #1442
Shademp

ForceStealer wrote: I'm just amazed how much it affected people. I barely noticed them.
The wearing of shades in dark areas has, to many, become equivalent with a movie or game "trying too hard to be cool". Ergo it's popular to criticize. To them, the shades ruin their immersion.

People have different tastes and hang-ups when it comes to what stylistic choices will ruin their immersion. For example there is a subset of people who won't stop commenting on how ridiculous the Buster Sword is and how it's penis compensation (cue Beavis & Butthead laughter). These people, out of the gate, are unlikely to even give FF7 a try.

Apart from the immersion aspect there is also the worry that Barret's eyes will be concealed for the whole game, solely for the sake of him looking cool. But I'm quite convinced that the shades won't stay on for long. If they do stay on, I will be disappointed.

I hope that the shades come off when Barret gets home to Marlene. Suddenly seeing the joyful eyes of a father would be a powerful contrast to all the preceding scenes with Barret. Then I visualize the shades going back on for the Mako Reactor #5 mission, then being discarded for the last time either during or after the deaths of Jessie, Biggs and Wedge.

What fascinates me that almost nobody, including myself, is bothered by the redesign of Barret's gun arm. His OG gun arm is so classic, yet the shades brought a ton of attention while we almost immediately accepted the remake version of his gatling gun.

The fact that original design continuity was ignored with Barret's gun is also a reason why I'm highly skeptical that Cloud's remake Buster Sword hides the golden hilt. The remake took the liberty of changing Barret's gatling gun, so why not change Cloud's sword (again) as well?

That said, I also wouldn't mind it if the winged-gold-hilt is re-introduced during the course of the FF7 remake, be it as a piece hiding beneath the bolted hilt or as a hilt resting at the site of an obscure swordsmith in the Midgar slums. Yes, I visualize the headcanon/speculation that Cloud visited a smith in the Midgar slums who made the bolted pauldron for Cloud and who also (may have) changed the hilt of the Buster Sword.

Time will tell...when and if these speculations get busterd.

Last edited by Shademp; 01/27/2018 at 03:19 PM. Reason: one 'and' too many
Shademp is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 7:
Addy Carver (01/28/2018), hian (01/28/2018), Lex (01/27/2018), Minato (01/27/2018), Teioh (01/27/2018), The Twilight Mexican (01/27/2018), X-SOLDIER (01/30/2018)
Old 01/27/2018   #1443
hleV

I think it'd be cool if in the Corel flashback, Barret didn't appear as buff (obviously still huge, but not jacked as much), to imply the transformation once he started going against Shinra.

Shademp wrote: The fact that original design continuity was ignored with Barret's gun is also a reason why I'm highly skeptical that Cloud's remake Buster Sword hides the golden hilt. The remake took the liberty of changing Barret's gatling gun, so why not change Cloud's sword (again) as well?

That said, I also wouldn't mind it if the winged-gold-hilt is re-introduced during the course of the FF7 remake, be it as a piece hiding beneath the bolted hilt or as a hilt resting at the site of an obscure swordsmith in the Midgar slums. Yes, I visualize the headcanon/speculation that Cloud visited a smith in the Midgar slums who made the bolted pauldron for Cloud and who also (may have) changed the hilt of the Buster Sword.
Remake Buster Sword is IMHO the best version of Buster Sword so far, I wouldn't want it to become the Compilation Buster Sword later in the game. I totally wouldn't mind if it had a golden handguard before (they sold it for money and replaced with bolted one - canon), but I'm more worried about whether they'll provide an explanation for SOLDIER uniform modifications.
hleV is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Shademp (01/27/2018)
Old 01/27/2018   #1444
Kain424

[QUOTE=Shademp;775809]
ForceStealer wrote: The wearing of shades in dark areas has, to many, become equivalent with a movie or game "trying too hard to be cool". Ergo it's popular to criticize. To them, the shades ruin their immersion.
Just a personal preference for me. I want to see his eyes. I would be more than happy if they actually did have him remove them and put them back on, like you said.
Kain424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2018   #1445
leadmyskeptic

He's definitely taking them thangs off in the immediate aftermath of Platefall, during his "Biggs! Wedge! Jessieeee!" freakout. Whether or not he discards them, then, will be the question. If he keeps them, I wonder if they'll throw a pair on Dyne as well...seemed like part of the point there was that they were direct mirror images of each other
leadmyskeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
X-SOLDIER (01/30/2018)
Old 01/27/2018   #1446
ChipNoir

Shub Niggurath wrote:
Cait Sith's character profile wrote: he rides on the back of a huge stuffed Mog he magically brought to life. Megaphone in hand, he's always shouting orders and creating dopey attacks
Cait Sith isn't animatronic, but the Mog is. Cait is a magical being so he could just poof away and sacrifice the Mog in the temple of the ancients and also utilise materia. Unless all this time I've gotten this wrong and you lot are gonna ruin my head-canons
Sorry, but no. Cait is a robot. The whole Toysaurus thing is just a cover story.
ChipNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Theozilla (01/28/2018)
Old 01/28/2018   #1447
hian

Shademp wrote:
ForceStealer wrote: I'm just amazed how much it affected people. I barely noticed them.
The wearing of shades in dark areas has, to many, become equivalent with a movie or game "trying too hard to be cool". Ergo it's popular to criticize. To them, the shades ruin their immersion.

People have different tastes and hang-ups when it comes to what stylistic choices will ruin their immersion. For example there is a subset of people who won't stop commenting on how ridiculous the Buster Sword is and how it's penis compensation (cue Beavis & Butthead laughter). These people, out of the gate, are unlikely to even give FF7 a try.

Apart from the immersion aspect there is also the worry that Barret's eyes will be concealed for the whole game, solely for the sake of him looking cool. But I'm quite convinced that the shades won't stay on for long. If they do stay on, I will be disappointed.

I hope that the shades come off when Barret gets home to Marlene. Suddenly seeing the joyful eyes of a father would be a powerful contrast to all the preceding scenes with Barret. Then I visualize the shades going back on for the Mako Reactor #5 mission, then being discarded for the last time either during or after the deaths of Jessie, Biggs and Wedge.

What fascinates me that almost nobody, including myself, is bothered by the redesign of Barret's gun arm. His OG gun arm is so classic, yet the shades brought a ton of attention while we almost immediately accepted the remake version of his gatling gun.

The fact that original design continuity was ignored with Barret's gun is also a reason why I'm highly skeptical that Cloud's remake Buster Sword hides the golden hilt. The remake took the liberty of changing Barret's gatling gun, so why not change Cloud's sword (again) as well?

Time will tell...when and if these speculations get busterd.

^^^^All of this.^^^^

I'm kinda leaning towards thinking it would be cooler if Cloud did those modifications himself, back at the Avalanche hide-out - perhaps with Barret telling him he doesn't like how Cloud still dresses like he belongs with the Shinra. It would go some way to explain how clunky it all looks.

I also noticed the change to Barret's gun-arm, which was kinda off-putting to me. I'm not sure how they plan on handling equipment, change of weapons etc. or if they plan to have that at all, but I've never been a fan of starting stories out "big". I mean, what will Barret's next weapon be? A frickin tank barrel?
(also, as a side point on the realism thing - it's kinda silly that Barret wears shades, if it's a realism concern, but not some sort of protection for his ears. Having a gattling gun two feet in front of your face is not a recipe for good hearing.)

As for the buster sword - Yeah, it could just be a simple redesign. But, having the reveal of the older guard could be a good plot-point to reintroduce relevancy for the Buster Sword down the line, if like in the original, Cloud keeps changing swords.
It was always a pet peeve of me in the OG, that the Buster Sword was rendered completely irrelevant so early on in the game.
Having the Compilation Buster Sword make a come-back later on in the game, maybe with some sort of FFX's upgrade set-up to make it more powerful, could make it so it would make sense from a game-play perspective to use the sword again towards the end.

Of course, they could just remove optional weapons for Cloud as a thing, and have Cloud's weapon progression be centered solely around upgrades for the Buster Sword, but that would kinda be a shame from a presentational perspective. There's just something nice with being able to customize the look of a character and their equipment.
hian is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 4:
Shademp (01/28/2018), The Twilight Mexican (01/28/2018), Theozilla (01/28/2018), X-SOLDIER (01/30/2018)
Old 01/28/2018   #1448
Addy Carver

ChipNoir wrote:
Shub Niggurath wrote:
Sorry, but no. Cait is a robot. The whole Toysaurus thing is just a cover story.
You're gonna need to start citing sources here rather than just disagreeing with me. That quote came from the game booklet. I know it's been a long time since I last played it but I don't recall it explicitly saying anywhere that Cait is a robot.
Gold Most Likely to out Bitchslap a bitch on the Sister Ray or some shit
Silver Crack Ship (Cthulhage)
Silver Cheekiest Bastard
Bronze Most Likely to Burn Down a Village
Bronze Most Sage/Knowledgeable
Copper Best Arse
Copper Would Like to Bang Most
Addy Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/2018   #1449
JBedford

Cait Sith
“You'd just be wastin' your time if you tried.
This body's just a toy anyway.”

“My real body's at Shinra Headquarters in Midgar.
I'm controlin' this
toy cat from there.”
JBedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 5:
ChipNoir (01/28/2018), Obsidian Fire (01/28/2018), Shademp (01/28/2018), The Twilight Mexican (01/28/2018), Theozilla (01/28/2018)
Old 01/28/2018   #1450
Claymore

You're both right. I mean, the game trumps booklet information in terms of canonicity, but yeah. Heck, doesn't an ultimania somewhere throw another spanner in the works by giving Reeve some weird telekinetic and puppet-developing abilities?

Reeves / Cait Sith is one area that I would quite like them to develop more.

Heck, forget what he is ... I'm still having a hard time seeing him in this Remake.
Claymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
Addy Carver (01/29/2018), The Twilight Mexican (01/28/2018)
Old 01/28/2018   #1451
The Twilight Mexican

Yeah, the lore is fucked where Reeve and Cait Sith are concerned. The cat is explicitly a robot in multiple entries (most obviously in Before Crisis, where the player's Turk has to reassemble it after it gets dismembered), but the matter is needlessly complicated by that magical "Inspire" stupidity.

hleV wrote: I think it'd be cool if in the Corel flashback, Barret didn't appear as buff (obviously still huge, but not jacked as much), to imply the transformation once he started going against Shinra.
But he and Dyne are so jacked in the first place because they were miners.

And isn't the gun arm thing already transformation enough? I know it seems a mundane detail for us after 20 years, but I expect the remake to really focus on this in some way.
Thanked by 3:
Mr. Ite (01/29/2018), Shademp (01/28/2018), Tennyo (01/28/2018)
Old 01/28/2018   #1452
leadmyskeptic

The thing about considering Cait Sith as merely a robot, and not a semi-separate, 'magical' being is that (and I know this is one of the things that got lost in translation, so bear with me here) Cait Sith is demonstrated to an extent to have his own separate personality, unique from Reeve's. I know in the original Japanese, it was supposed to be something along the lines of Cait Sith speaking in a rural, sort-of 'chaotic' loose dialect whereas Reeve speaks and behaves like the executive he is. On top of this, you ALSO have the fact that immediately after Cait Sith's little sacrifice speech, where he mentions that even if another Cait Sith comes along it won't actually be the same as him, you have Cait Sith #2 appearing and speaking in a broad, southern (as in America) accent. Again, this shift couldn't have been what was intended in the original Japanese, but the two Cait Siths speaking differently SEEMS to have been. Now, you might just wager that Reeve is a highly devoted method actor who takes time to craft the personalities and speech patterns of his various...robots, and who knows, but presumably when the Shinra executives had him arrested, they searched him for remote controls for cats? Then again, they're not known to be the most careful.

AKA, Cait Sith is a clusterfuck. And I love it.
leadmyskeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/2018   #1453
ForceStealer

Well, Reeve DOES put that accent on, as Scarlet calls him on it after the President's office is destroyed and he slips up, "What is it Reeve? You're speaking strangely."

But I agree that Cait Sith can also exist on his own, before the Inspire nonsense, I just always figured it was a robot with AI, but Reeve could directly take control when he saw fit to do so.

hitoshura wrote: Don't belittle my peoples, bitch. We work hard and we do what we're told. And might possibly be Scottish.
ultima espio wrote: I'm not sure if it was a BOMB, it could have been MAKO, KING, BEST, or ORBS.
ForceStealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
Mr. Ite (01/29/2018), The Twilight Mexican (01/28/2018)
Old 01/28/2018   #1454
Ergo

I don't think it's hard to believe that cait sith has an independent thought process. When you think about it logically how exactly would reeve be able to control him all the time while still working within Shinra?
I always thought it more plausible that it ran with a sort of AI that reeve was the architect of but when he wasn't around it was free to make independent decisions.
Ergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
Obsidian Fire (01/29/2018), The Twilight Mexican (01/28/2018)
Old 01/29/2018   #1455
ChipNoir

Lin Feng wrote: I don't think it's hard to believe that cait sith has an independent thought process. When you think about it logically how exactly would reeve be able to control him all the time while still working within Shinra?
I always thought it more plausible that it ran with a sort of AI that reeve was the architect of but when he wasn't around it was free to make independent decisions.
If I were to push for anything in this game to be delved deeper into, the concept of AI existing side-by-side with a culture that has an actual confirmed afterlife that people are aware of. That offers a lot of insight to a character like Cait Sith, especially if he does have an independent AI, and if said AI has to process the idea that Cait Sith 1.0 was his own independent AI as well.

How do you react if you have access to the same memories, but you didn't experience them yourself? Do you worry more about your own future, knowing that you won't live on the way a living entity will in the Lifestream? Do you have any stakes in the world, when you have no participation in it's cycle of life?
ChipNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 3:
Addy Carver (01/29/2018), leadmyskeptic (02/01/2018), The Twilight Mexican (01/29/2018)