The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.


Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Compilation of Final Fantasy VII > Pre-Crisis Final Fantasy VII

Pre-Crisis Final Fantasy VII All content for Before Crisis and Crisis Core focusing on the 8 years, leading directly up until the events of Final Fantasy VII.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01/16/2017   #1
Harley Quinn
Default Sephiroth, Genesis and Angeal

I suspect that this has been discussed and if so my apologies. I was playing CC last night and it had me thinking. It stated throughout the game that Genesis and Angeal were Sephiroth's only friends. But where they truly friends?

I know Genesis got Angeal to join with him as he idolised Sephiroth which turned into jealousy.

Even their duel before Genesis started to degrade from the little we saw i really didn't get the impression that Genesis even liked Sephiroth. Angeal just seems to take the role of trying to keep Genesis in check. And doesn't seem to have that much interaction with Sephiroth.

They both leave without telling him why, which I know Genesis had started to degrade but if the three of them were such good friends surely Sephiroth would've been told?

And the only person that seems to have any loyalty in the group was Sephiroth correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Sephiroth talk about leaving ShinRa because of his orders to fight his former friends?

Which leads me into the next thing of Sephiroth had wanted to leave what would ShinRa have done? I know they'd not want him to leave but I don't think they'd want to turn their poster boy into a traitor.

And lastly Zack even seems disappointed when he meets Sephiroth. Why?
Harley Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 3:
Octo (01/16/2017), The Twilight Mexican (01/17/2017), Unit-01 (01/16/2017)
Old 01/16/2017   #2
Octo
Default

Yeah it's been ages since I played CC but Sephiroth refuses to go after Angeal and/or Genesis.

Which begs the question, if he can refuse orders what else can he refuse and why didn't he?

And I didn't get much impression of friendship, but that's what happens when you shoehorn in new characters based on your musical tastes
__________________
BUY THINGS FROM ME I HAVE AN REDBUBBLE!

(Mostly Manics related things but some other stuff and more things being added all the time! <3

https://www.redbubble.com/people/rom...dropdown&asc=u
Octo is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 3:
Harley Quinn (01/16/2017), LicoriceAllsorts (01/17/2017), The Twilight Mexican (01/17/2017)
Old 01/16/2017   #3
Shademp
Default

Going by what Sephiroth said, even he is unsure of how tight their connection was.

Sephiroth: We used to sneak in there for fun, when the 2nds were out... Genesis, Angeal, and I...

Zack: You guys were pretty tight.

Sephiroth: Humph, I wonder...
__________________
My YouTube Channel!
FINAL FANTASY VII UNCOVERED
Clement Rage wrote: All hail Shademp, God of Dirge.
Shademp is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 4:
Harley Quinn (01/16/2017), LicoriceAllsorts (01/17/2017), The Twilight Mexican (01/17/2017), Unit-01 (01/16/2017)
Old 01/16/2017   #4
jazzflower92
Default

The two certainly had a bond with Sephiroth that made him consider them to be his closest friends. I mean from the looks of it, he grew up not having very strong bonds with anyone.
jazzflower92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 3:
Octo (01/16/2017), The Twilight Mexican (01/17/2017), Unit-01 (01/16/2017)
Old 01/16/2017   #5
Harley Quinn
Default

Octo wrote: Yeah it's been ages since I played CC but Sephiroth refuses to go after Angeal and/or Genesis.

Which begs the question, if he can refuse orders what else can he refuse and why didn't he?

And I didn't get much impression of friendship, but that's what happens when you shoehorn in new characters based on your musical tastes

I know I never understood why he just didn't leave. It's not like he had anyone that he cared about or vice versa.

Damn you Gackt! And I don't know if it's true but I heard that the reason CC won't be released to the PS store because most of the money would go to Gackt in royalties. Again I don't know if it's true.
Harley Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
The Twilight Mexican (01/17/2017), Unit-01 (01/16/2017)
Old 01/16/2017   #6
Harley Quinn
Default

jazzflower92 wrote: The two certainly had a bond with Sephiroth that made him consider them to be his closest friends. I mean from the looks of it, he grew up not having very strong bonds with anyone.
I think that was Sephiroth's interpretation with not having any close bonds. He assumed they were all friends and which both Genesis and Angeal proved that this wasn't the case. Genesis was there to become better than Sephiroth and Angeal? He only joined SOLIDER because of Genesis.
Harley Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/16/2017   #7
Octo
Default

jazzflower92 wrote: The two certainly had a bond with Sephiroth that made him consider them to be his closest friends. I mean from the looks of it, he grew up not having very strong bonds with anyone.
Thats true, a lot is made of the friendships in FFVII, but like, I think it's all relative. They say Aerith and Tifa were best friends, and its like, really? They were thrown together in an adverse situation.

I guess it's all relative. So maybe what Sephiroth had was the closest thing to a friendship, even if it wasn't that strong.
__________________
BUY THINGS FROM ME I HAVE AN REDBUBBLE!

(Mostly Manics related things but some other stuff and more things being added all the time! <3

https://www.redbubble.com/people/rom...dropdown&asc=u
Octo is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 3:
jazzflower92 (01/17/2017), Obsidian Fire (01/16/2017), The Twilight Mexican (01/17/2017)
Old 01/16/2017   #8
Harley Quinn
Default

Octo wrote:
jazzflower92 wrote: The two certainly had a bond with Sephiroth that made him consider them to be his closest friends. I mean from the looks of it, he grew up not having very strong bonds with anyone.
Thats true, a lot is made of the friendships in FFVII, but like, I think it's all relative. They say Aerith and Tifa were best friends, and its like, really? They were thrown together in an adverse situation.

I guess it's all relative. So maybe what Sephiroth had was the closest thing to a friendship, even if it wasn't that strong.

Aerith the and Tifa were certainly closer than Sephiroth and the other two. And when I played on FFVII I didn't think Aerith and Tifa were that close.

I still think it was all a one sided relationship with Sephiroth, Genesis and Angeal.
Harley Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
The Twilight Mexican (01/17/2017)
Old 01/16/2017   #9
Obsidian Fire
Default

Some older threads on Genesis that might be relevant...

https://thelifestream.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9954
https://thelifestream.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13017
https://thelifestream.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13518
https://thelifestream.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14056

Keep in mind that Genesis and Angeal have known each other since they were kids. The relationship they have is a lot different then the one they have with Sephrioth. And yeah, "normal" standards of friendship don't really apply to Sephiroth. I wouldn't doubt that the relationship he had with them was the most normal relationship he ever had before or since. It was probably the first time he'd ever met people who were anywhere near close to the same level he was (and even then he can defeat them 2v1). He wouldn't meet another person like that until he went up against Cloud.

As far as Genesis goes, admiration and jealousy can be very close emotions for some people. It isn't that hard to go from admiring someone's abilities to being jealous that you don't have them.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Obsidian Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 4:
jazzflower92 (01/17/2017), Kieron_ODuibhir (09/30/2017), The Twilight Mexican (01/17/2017), Unit-01 (01/16/2017)
Old 01/16/2017   #10
Unit-01
Default

With Sephiroth wanting to leave Shinra, I've always been under the notion that it was kinda foreshadowing for the Nibelheim incident.

However now that you point it out, I feel like if he had to kill both of them he would've left. But since we know Zack ended up killing Angeal and defeating Genesis he was spared having to do it himself.

Relating to their friendship, my belief was they were close friends. But just over time(especially after Genesis started degrading) it went down hill. Also I chalk it up to unseen bonding. CC's focus was on Zack and to dedicate an entire CGI scene to Sephiroth vs Angel and Genesis was a lot.
______________________________
I got more than a 1/4 of a way through my 2nd 100% play-though on CC and then just stopped. Have my PSP right there too, I should bother to pick it up and finish it at some point.

Also there is some BS that prevents CC from being Remastered. I forget what, but I don't think it has anything to do with Gackt. Some say it's because of him, and others say it's not. I don't know for 100% but they should get around to doing a remaster of CC. I'm a bit surprised my fat PSP has been holding up for almost 10 years.
Unit-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
jazzflower92 (01/17/2017)
Old 01/16/2017   #11
Tashasaurous
Post

Octo wrote: Yeah it's been ages since I played CC but Sephiroth refuses to go after Angeal and/or Genesis.

Which begs the question, if he can refuse orders what else can he refuse and why didn't he?

And I didn't get much impression of friendship, but that's what happens when you shoehorn in new characters based on your musical tastes
It was a bit obvious that Sephiroth was a bit angered on the betrayal. On the other hand, he did try to find them without killing them since he had the similiar feelings on not wanting to kill them like Zack. I mean, he had the chance to kill Genesis in the Mako Reactor and yet didn't do it.

Example.

Sephiroth: You and I will find them before they do and-

Zack: (yells into the phone) And WHAT!?

Sephiroth:....Fail to eliminate them.

Zack: For real?

Sephiroth: *chuckles* Yes, for real.

Zack: Excellent! Uh, Probably!
And I actually kind of like Genesis. It's Angeal who doesn't appeal to me that much. I actually feel sorry for the former despite knowing that both of them had it tough. I have sympathy to all three of them.

The ones that I don't forgive are the scientests, Rufus's old man-the old Prez, Scarlet and Heidegger.

jazzflower92 wrote: The two certainly had a bond with Sephiroth that made him consider them to be his closest friends. I mean from the looks of it, he grew up not having very strong bonds with anyone.
100% of that blame goes to Hojo. It's no thanks to him that Sephiroth never knew about his real mother or even grew up being at least a normal child. He was already doomed before he was even born.

Harley Quinn wrote: I know I never understood why he just didn't leave. It's not like he had anyone that he cared about or vice versa.

Damn you Gackt! And I don't know if it's true but I heard that the reason CC won't be released to the PS store because most of the money would go to Gackt in royalties. Again I don't know if it's true.
I think it's mainly because he agreed to have his concert design for the design of Genesis. I don't think that's fully tre on the rumor, but Tabata doesn't want to port it up to PS4 because, and I quote, "Everyone's already got the english version of the game" during the remaster of Type-0.

Harley Quinn wrote: I think that was Sephiroth's interpretation with not having any close bonds. He assumed they were all friends and which both Genesis and Angeal proved that this wasn't the case. Genesis was there to become better than Sephiroth and Angeal? He only joined SOLIDER because of Genesis.
Genesis was jealous because Sephiroth was the hero of ShinRa. Not to mention that he took the LOVELESS thing way too seriously.

Octo wrote:
jazzflower92 wrote: The two certainly had a bond with Sephiroth that made him consider them to be his closest friends. I mean from the looks of it, he grew up not having very strong bonds with anyone.
Thats true, a lot is made of the friendships in FFVII, but like, I think it's all relative. They say Aerith and Tifa were best friends, and its like, really? They were thrown together in an adverse situation.

I guess it's all relative. So maybe what Sephiroth had was the closest thing to a friendship, even if it wasn't that strong.
Probably because they were closer to him in age and everyone else didn't want to risk in getting their heads bitten off by Sephiroth at the time.

Plus, friendship is a funny thing to make up, whether people are children or not. I mean, off a bit topic, but take the whacky relationship of Captain Jack Sparrow and Will Turner in Pirates of the Caribbean films for example. Sometimes an adventure brings people either together or make enemies.

That's what I think, anyway.

Harley Quinn wrote: Aerith the and Tifa were certainly closer than Sephiroth and the other two. And when I played on FFVII I didn't think Aerith and Tifa were that close.

I still think it was all a one sided relationship with Sephiroth, Genesis and Angeal.
Yeah, and Tifa was devastated when Aerith was killed. Yuffie was too, in fact.

The Engineer wrote: Some older threads on Genesis that might be relevant...

https://thelifestream.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9954
https://thelifestream.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13017
https://thelifestream.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13518
https://thelifestream.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14056

Keep in mind that Genesis and Angeal have known each other since they were kids. The relationship they have is a lot different then the one they have with Sephrioth. And yeah, "normal" standards of friendship don't really apply to Sephiroth. I wouldn't doubt that the relationship he had with them was the most normal relationship he ever had before or since. It was probably the first time he'd ever met people who were anywhere near close to the same level he was (and even then he can defeat them 2v1). He wouldn't meet another person like that until he went up against Cloud.

As far as Genesis goes, admiration and jealousy can be very close emotions for some people. It isn't that hard to go from admiring someone's abilities to being jealous that you don't have them.
Well, Sephiroth refused the mission to Banora. He cared about them enough to not even kill them, but ultimately left poor Zack to handle the burden. Again, all blame goes to the Science Department, and also blame the former President for hiring cruel and evil people in the first place like Hojo, Hollender, Scarlet and Heidegger.

Sure the Turks are assassins and ect, but they also help out other people and I don't see any of them evil. Just people following orders and hiding their emotion until the near end of FFVII. Heck, even Rufus isn't that bad of a villian(he's kind of like Lord Beckett, but unlike the latter, he attempted to stop Sephiroth rather than use him and then later attempted to send the Turks to help Cloud to get rid of Kadaj's group).
Tashasaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
The Twilight Mexican (01/17/2017)
Old 01/17/2017   #12
LicoriceAllsorts
Default

Harley, I'm replaying CC myself right now and I see what you mean. The friendship between A, G and S is poisoned by Genesis' envy, but I think we can see other hints that their friendship is real: Angeal giving Sephiroth a long lecture about honour, and Sephiroth submitting to it; Sephiroth's (and Angeal's) concern for Genesis' health and Sephiroth's pain at being rejected as a donor; the conversation between Sephiroth and Genesis in Hollander's lab; the fact that Genesis has "beaten" Loveless into Sephiroth's head... They often act more like brothers than like friends, but the bond they have feels real to me (and that's saying something, because I dislike Genesis as a character).

Is Angeal disloyal to Shinra? One wonders why he should be loyal to Shinra in the first place, but he does try constantly to balance his divided loyalties. As Zack points out, Shinra are wrong to issue an extermination order against him because he fought on their side in the 'battle of Midgar'. I always thought the worst thing about Angeal was his determination to make Zack (and nobody but Zack) kill him - aka liberate him from his unbearable existence - although I suppose that could be interpreted as a determination to make Zack see the truth about Shinra.

Sephiroth is an odd one in CC. He does truly seem to care about the few people he actually cares about; he seems to be trying to tell Genesis that he values their friendship more than his own fame. He's quite nice to Zack. But he doesn't seem to get much pleasure out of the one thing he does really, really well: killing. Maybe it's just too easy for him. The only time he seems to be enjoying himself is when he's fighting Zack in Nibelheim, and maybe when he's slicing the Junon Canon to bits.

If he'd actually decided to leave Shinra, what would Shinra have done? He wasn't deteriorating, and he was an unstoppable super-weapon. If he'd said to them, "I'm sick of this, I'm retiring to Costa del Sol to perfect my embroidery," how could they have prevented him? Given his extraordinary powers, it's really odd to see how little will of his own he had. He didn't even exert himself particularly to save his friends; he simply refrained from killing them and sent Zack to do the job instead. Wouldn't it have been more heroic of him to take Zack's seat on that mission to Nibelheim, and give Angeal the death he wanted so that Zack wouldn't have to do it? But I suppose he was raised to be malleable and obedient.
__________________



<img src=http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx25/licoriceallsorts/smallerfiftyshadesofTseng-1.jpg border=0 alt= />

FIFTY SHADES OF TSENG
LicoriceAllsorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 5:
Harley Quinn (01/21/2017), Kieron_ODuibhir (09/30/2017), Obsidian Fire (01/17/2017), Shademp (01/17/2017), The Twilight Mexican (01/17/2017)
Old 01/17/2017   #13
Obsidian Fire
Default

Angeal, Zack and Sephiroth's passivity is one of the things I really can't stand about all three of them. It's also one of the things that makes it really apparent that CC is a Japanese game and not a Western one. So much of all of their identities comes from being a part of SOLDIER and Shin-Ra that none of them want to deal with who they would be apart from it. The idea that they could just abandon all that seems crazy too them.

Genesis is so non-passive that it's a problem. He's doing so much to leave Shin-Ra that he doesn't think out the ramifications of what he's doing and how it's effecting people. But at least he's trying which is more then can be said for everyone else...

If you want to see the Western take on the themes of CC, go look at a synopsis of the Bourne Series of movies. They're all about private company super soldier experiments who figure out what is really going on and try to get out of their situation and the fallout that results in. The Bourne Legacy in particular is pretty much CC if Genesis was actually sympathetic and Hollander wasn't lying about knowing how to cure him.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Obsidian Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
LicoriceAllsorts (01/17/2017), The Twilight Mexican (01/17/2017)
Old 01/17/2017   #14
Tashasaurous
Post

The Engineer wrote: Angeal, Zack and Sephiroth's passivity is one of the things I really can't stand about all three of them. It's also one of the things that makes it really apparent that CC is a Japanese game and not a Western one. So much of all of their identities comes from being a part of SOLDIER and Shin-Ra that none of them want to deal with who they would be apart from it. The idea that they could just abandon all that seems crazy too them.

Genesis is so non-passive that it's a problem. He's doing so much to leave Shin-Ra that he doesn't think out the ramifications of what he's doing and how it's effecting people. But at least he's trying which is more then can be said for everyone else...

If you want to see the Western take on the themes of CC, go look at a synopsis of the Bourne Series of movies. They're all about private company super soldier experiments who figure out what is really going on and try to get out of their situation and the fallout that results in. The Bourne Legacy in particular is pretty much CC if Genesis was actually sympathetic and Hollander wasn't lying about knowing how to cure him.
Um, you do realise that all of the Final Fantasy VII titles are made in Japan, therefore they are Japanese property, right? In fact, Square Enix started off in Japan and spread out their games and movies and such to other countries in the world so that others could translate them into their own language.

The only game that hasn't made it to outside Japan was Before Crisis, not even remade. The novellas and books are in the same vote, only translated by the Lifestream site here which you guys who are reading this had done an awesome job with(like the OTWTAS and Lateral TURKS).

Plus, Genesis may be melodramatic, and a bit weird, but I still like him.
Tashasaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2017   #15
LicoriceAllsorts
Default

Tasha, of course we realise they're Japanese games. What the Engineer is saying is that this is one of those places where the culture gap between East and West becomes really apparent. I don't know if people raised in the Japanese culture would find A, G and S's passivity and loyalty admirable, but I think most western people find it hard to understand, and admire them much more when they assert their individuality and needs to try to carve their own path.
__________________



<img src=http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx25/licoriceallsorts/smallerfiftyshadesofTseng-1.jpg border=0 alt= />

FIFTY SHADES OF TSENG
LicoriceAllsorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
Obsidian Fire (01/17/2017), The Twilight Mexican (01/17/2017)
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:31 AM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.