The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Topical > Entertainment

Entertainment Poast about movies, television, animé, books, and pyrotechnics in the distance here. Music topics go in The Venue.

Old 05/23/2014   #1
Tetsujin
Default Disney's Big Hero 6

Based on a Marvel comic.

First teaser is out:

YouTube Video

With all the heart and humour audiences expect from Walt Disney Animation Studios, "Big Hero 6" is an action-packed comedy-adventure about robotics prodigy Hiro Hamada, who learns to harness his genius—thanks to his brilliant brother Tadashi and their like-minded friends: adrenaline junkie Go Go Tamago, neatnik Wasabi, chemistry whiz Honey Lemon and fanboy Fred. When a devastating turn of events catapults them into the midst of a dangerous plot unfolding in the streets of San Fransokyo, Hiro turns to his closest companion - a robot named Baymax - and transforms the group into a band of high-tech heroes determined to solve the mystery. Inspired by the Marvel comics of the same name, and featuring comic-book style action, "Big Hero 6" is directed by Don Hall ("Winnie the Pooh") and Chris Williams ("Bolt"), and produced by Roy Conli ("Tangled").
Tetsujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 6:
AvecAloes (05/23/2014), Ghost X (05/23/2014), Hisako (09/26/2014), Splintered (07/17/2014), Tennyo (05/23/2014), The Twilight Mexican (05/23/2014)
Old 05/23/2014   #2
Ghost X

I should not eat food during funny scenes. (SPOILER) That bit at the end, referencing an earlier joke with the soccer ball, almost made me choke on and/or spit my noodles . Looking forward to this, for sure, if they can keep up the funny stuff.

2017 1st Runner-Up -- Member You'd Most Want to Meet.

2017 1st Runner-Up -- Best Voice.

2017 2nd Place Winner -- Most Likely To Back Out Of A Fight But Remain... Victorious.
Ghost X is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
The Twilight Mexican (05/23/2014)
Old 05/23/2014   #3
jazzflower92

If "Frozen" was this generation's Lion King. Lets hope that Big Hero 6 is not Pocahontas. I do have a feeling they learned their lesson from the last time.
jazzflower92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/23/2014   #4
Tennyo

This actually looks super cute. <3
Old 07/16/2014   #5
Tetsujin

YouTube Video
Tetsujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 5:
Ghost X (07/16/2014), Hisako (09/26/2014), Super Mario (07/20/2014), Tennyo (07/17/2014), The Twilight Mexican (07/17/2014)
Old 07/16/2014   #6
Sprites

This looks hilarious I hope its this funny the whole way through because I laughed the whole way through that trailer.
Sprites is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
The Twilight Mexican (07/17/2014)
Old 07/17/2014   #7
Theozilla

Movie looks good, but its a shame they whitewashed two of characters.
The Twilight Mexican (07/17/2014)
Old 07/19/2014   #8
Ryushikaze

Theozilla wrote: Movie looks good, but its a shame they whitewashed two of characters.
I thought they 'whitewashed' Honey Lemon who was blonde to begin with, and turned another character into a black guy (Which is swapping nonwhite ethnicities for other nonwhite ethnicities bad now? No one seems to fucking know when they care at all). Who else did they whitewash?
Old 07/19/2014   #9
Theozilla

Ryushikaze wrote: I thought they 'whitewashed' Honey Lemon who was blonde to begin with, and turned another character into a black guy (Which is swapping nonwhite ethnicities for other nonwhite ethnicities bad now? No one seems to fucking know when they care at all). Who else did they whitewash?
Honey Lemon in the original comics was actually Japanese by the name Aiko Miyazaki and while she did have blond hair she was still Japanese. The original comic was probably homaging the Mukokuseki art style tradition of manga/anime where characters like Sailor Moon have blond hair but are still ethnically Japanese in their stories. The other character who got whitewashed was Fredzilla who in the original comics is apparently of Ainu descent, a native peoples of Japan. And yes, Wasabi-No-Ginger was racebended to be black and it is still kinda skeevy/problematic but not as bad as whitewashing.
Also the main character Hiro was fully Japanese in the comics but the films is Hāfu, which apparently some people take issue with as well.

Regardless I do think the film looks cool and it is still more diverse than your standard Disney film and I'll probably go see it when it comes out. But I didn't want to deny some of the questionable/problematic choices Disney made in their adaptation of the source material.
The Twilight Mexican (07/20/2014)
Old 07/19/2014   #10
jazzflower92

Theozilla wrote: Honey Lemon in the original comics was actually Japanese by the name Aiko Miyazaki and while she did have blond hair she was still Japanese. The original comic was probably homaging the Mukokuseki art style tradition of manga/anime where characters like Sailor Moon have blond hair but are still ethnically Japanese in their stories. The other character who got whitewashed was Fredzilla who in the original comics is apparently of Ainu descent, a native peoples of Japan. And yes, Wasabi-No-Ginger was racebended to be black and it is still kinda skeevy/problematic but not as bad as whitewashing.
Also the main character Hiro was fully Japanese in the comics but the films is Hāfu, which apparently some people take issue with as well.

Regardless I do think the film looks cool and it is still more diverse than your standard Disney film and I'll probably go see it when it comes out. But I didn't want to deny some of the questionable/problematic choices Disney made in their adaptation of the source material.
I have a feeling if they kept it like in the original comics people will still complain about keeping a lot of the stereotypes the comics seem to playing with. Some who actually have seen the comics actually say that it played a lot of Japanese stereotypes completely straight. I think if they kept Honey Lemon Japanese they still would complain about the fact she doesn't look it at all which could cause some unfortunate implications. Also for Fredzilla I have a feeling it was because they thought an Ainu named Fred wouldn't make sense at all. Not to mention one of their opponents in the comics was the a monster that was the collective conscious of all the victims of Hiroshima. So, yeah I can see why some things were changed because Disney would be walking on thin ice if they adapted any of that. Plus I think the reason for Wasabi's change to being black was because the Japanese sushi chef was too stereotypical. I could make a case that Honey Lemon is plausibly white Hispanic which contrary to popular opinion do exist. The main reason is because of her voice actor's accent, Genesis Rodrigeuz.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_H...tino_Americans

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%A9...Rodr%C3%ADguez
Thanked by:
The Twilight Mexican (07/20/2014)
Old 07/19/2014   #11
Celes Chere

they did not white wash these fucking characters for the love of god

anyway looks awesome and cute
Celes Chere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/20/2014   #12
Theozilla

jazzflower92 wrote: I have a feeling if they kept it like in the original comics people will still complain about keeping a lot of the stereotypes the comics seem to playing with. Some who actually have seen the comics actually say that it played a lot of Japanese stereotypes completely straight. I think if they kept Honey Lemon Japanese they still would complain about the fact she doesn't look it at all which could cause some unfortunate implications. Also for Fredzilla I have a feeling it was because they thought an Ainu named Fred wouldn't make sense at all. Not to mention one of their opponents in the comics was the a monster that was the collective conscious of all the victims of Hiroshima. So, yeah I can see why some things were changed because Disney would be walking on thin ice if they adapted any of that. Plus I think the reason for Wasabi's change to being black was because the Japanese sushi chef was too stereotypical. I could make a case that Honey Lemon is plausibly white Hispanic which contrary to popular opinion do exist. The main reason is because of her voice actor's accent, Genesis Rodrigeuz.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_H...tino_Americans

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%A9...Rodr%C3%ADguez
Just because the original comics had some problematic stereotypes as well doesn't mean that whitewashing the characters is the go-to solution. Disney could've have chosen to keep the original races of the characters while also eliminating some of more problematic elements.
Old 07/20/2014   #13
jazzflower92

Theozilla wrote: Just because the original comics had some problematic stereotypes as well doesn't mean that whitewashing the characters is the go-to solution. Disney could've have chosen to keep the original races of the characters while also eliminating some of more problematic elements.
You have not seen Everwraith.

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/everwraith.htm

I have this theory the reason why they changed everything around is the fact that if they stayed in Tokyo and kept everyone Japanese there would still be the problem of how they would depict the culture and potentially run into old stereotypes. When Disney does try to depict non European cultures there are often people who get angry at them for any perceived mishandling. I think by making up their own city Disney thought it would be a compromise between both Western and Eastern tastes. In my opinion Disney changes a lot of things all the time and most of all I am happy they have a black main character in the movie. Not to mention the fact its been 13 years since there has been a black male main character.

Last edited by jazzflower92; 07/20/2014 at 04:21 AM.
Old 07/20/2014   #14
Theozilla

jazzflower92 wrote: You have not seen Everwraith.

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/everwraith.htm

I have this theory the reason why they changed everything around is the fact that if they stayed in Tokyo and kept everyone Japanese there would still be the problem of how they would depict the culture and potentially run into old stereotypes. When Disney does try to depict non European cultures there are often people who get angry at them for any perceived mishandling. I think by making up their own city Disney thought it would be a compromise between both Western and Eastern tastes. In my opinion Disney changes a lot of things all the time and most of all I am happy they have a black main character in the movie. Not to mention the fact its been 13 years since there has been a black male main character.
Racebending one minority character into another is still kinda an iffy practice. And being afraid of messing up in one's depiction of another's culture still doesn't excuse the whitewashing itself.
Now I am not saying one shouldn't go see the movie or feel guilty in wanting to go see it (I know I'll be seeing it). But we shouldn't try to deny or excuse some of the problematic decisions Disney made.
Old 07/20/2014   #15
jazzflower92

Theozilla wrote: Racebending one minority character into another is still kinda an iffy practice. And being afraid of messing up in one's depiction of another's culture still doesn't excuse the whitewashing itself.
Now I am not saying one shouldn't go see the movie or feel guilty in wanting to go see it (I know I'll be seeing it). But we shouldn't try to deny or excuse some of the problematic decisions Disney made.
And this sounds similar to the arguments people complained when they made Johnny Storm from the Fantastic Four and Annie black in the recent adaptations.