The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Compilation of Final Fantasy VII > Final Fantasy VII

Final Fantasy VII All events from the 1997 classic RPG, with which it all began.

Old 06/08/2018   #76
Shademp

LicoriceAllsorts wrote: I don't think it's unique to fandom.
Can confirm.

In my teenage years I was lured into the supernatural claims by a person online who, in hindsight, was simply a schizophrenic young man whose symptoms were worsened by his extreme insomnia. At the time I was obsessed with ways of attaining godhood and thus transcending the pains of life. This man (only two years older than me btw) played right into those desires. I found temporary peace in sharing his worldview where we were meant for extraordinary fates. We would live for thousands of years and re-engineer the very foundations of the universe.

I believe he used me, and others like me, to convince himself even further that his visions were real. Accepting that his brain was fried wasn't an option because what ground would that give him to stand on?

The exact story of how I freed myself from his false worldview and beliefs is too long to tell. Short version: I grew away from it.

From the few interactions I've had with him over the last ten years (I no longer accept his contact requests which may come every other year or so) he's still just as schizophrenic, waiting for the signs that some supernatural sci-fi event will lift him from the dirt and into godhood. It is sad that I got caught up in his world but it's even more sad that there seems to be no hope for this man. He only knows how to live in delusions.

While the online realm offers the danger of cults like these, usually they at least stay in chat rooms. What sets the Final Fantasy House apart is how the people actually lived together for an extended period of time and enacted their delusions and dysfunctions together in the same living space.
Shademp is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 10:
Alex Strife (06/11/2018), Blade (06/10/2018), Channy (06/11/2018), f a n c y (07/11/2018), Lex (06/08/2018), LicoriceAllsorts (06/08/2018), looneymoon (06/08/2018), Mr. Ite (06/08/2018), The Twilight Mexican (06/08/2018), X-SOLDIER (06/08/2018)
Old 06/08/2018   #77
X-SOLDIER

I think a lot of it also hits during the transition between adolescence and adulthood being weird. It's a time when you're more prone to fall under peer influence, and when that's likely to be subject to strange circumstances, especially while the definition of ones' own identity is a more prominent concern. I think that the reason it feel prominent in fandom is that it's an easy banner under which you can form an identity and collective group of other individuals.

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

Shademp – on the subject of my seemingly boundless optimism wrote: After Ungoliant had sucked the light from the trees Telperion and Laurelin, she found that there was a third tree but whose light was too potent and immortal for her to absorb. Thusly, Ungoliant left Valinor in tears for she could not absorb the light of the tree named X-SOLDIER.

#TotzCanon

~ | G+ | Facebook | Tumblr | Twitter | DA | TLS | FFOF | FF | SCL | KC | CC | ~
X-SOLDIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 6:
Alex Strife (06/11/2018), f a n c y (07/11/2018), LicoriceAllsorts (06/08/2018), looneymoon (06/08/2018), Shademp (06/08/2018), The Twilight Mexican (06/08/2018)
Old 06/11/2018   #78
Channy

I haven't been able to sit down and read the thread in it's entirety, however

Strangelove wrote: sorry a forum of strangers couldn't help you carman sandiego some old fandom creep
is the single greatest sentence I have ever heard and I want this remembered for the 2018 awards - I don't know what award it will win but it deserves something.

Lex wrote: Honestly my only exposure to any kind of fandom off-internet has been KupoCon and while there were certainly some socially awkward characters in attendance, I wouldn't say I've come across any serial creeps (but I kinda kept to the TLS group so it would have been harder to notice).
I mean, at Vancouver, Ultros was drunk as fuck at our table and we were all kinda like but then thought maybe he's in character and tried to be like until he almost fell asleep on the table

So, why do you come here?
Same as you, I think. I've been here a lot...
You must have a lot going on your mind, I suppose.
Yeah, but I'd rather have nothing for a change. How do you do it?
Well, it comes with practice. I can think of nothing.
I do not feel the need to occupy my mind with nonsense, just to avoid thinking about what really matters.

Channy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 7:
f a n c y (07/11/2018), lithiumkatana17 (06/11/2018), looneymoon (06/11/2018), Mr. Ite (06/11/2018), Tennyo (06/12/2018), The Twilight Mexican (06/11/2018), X-SOLDIER (06/11/2018)
Old 07/04/2018   #79
kermitafterdark

Hey, sorry to bring this thread back. I just got to reading the Jen saga today (from the beginning), and the rabbit hole let me here.

The OP started off ok but slowly began freaking me the hell out, since their obsessive behaviour kind of went off the wall and back in Jen's direction.

I can confirm they're not the same person. She's a pro-trump, anti-feminist blogger with some internalized transphobia issues. Regardless as to where you stand on the political spectrum- that's not what I'm here to preach- there were some pretty vile ideas in regards to women, race and the gay community. Honestly, it was whack enough that it made me question the legitimacy of the rest of the her posts- though other users seemed to have confirmed "TC" is Jen, so it might be true even so.

Two nutjobs going at each other. I don't know if this makes more intrigued or not.

PS; Found her identity by going through comments on the Vice article, pretty easy from there. Didn't think posting her info would be cool. Lmk if this post is out of line.
kermitafterdark is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 8:
Alex Strife (07/08/2018), f a n c y (07/11/2018), Lex (07/07/2018), LicoriceAllsorts (07/04/2018), lithiumkatana17 (07/06/2018), looneymoon (07/04/2018), Tennyo (07/04/2018), The Twilight Mexican (07/04/2018)
Old 07/04/2018   #80
kermitafterdark

PSS; I looked around a bit more and she didn't necromance this thread out of the blue, she literally hasn't stopped talking about this since then. Just wanted to throw you guys a warning in case she comes back, because- considering she and Jen are likely in their 30's or 40's- the way she's stalking the teens associated with TC is weirdly feverish, personal and obsessive. Not in an "I subjectively disagree with this" way, but a "This person is objectively unstable and needs help" kind of way.

None of this changes the fact that Jen is a huge creep, but I'm curious as to what and if most of the things in this thread are verifiable. I really hope history hasn't repeated itself (sorry, I'm done now, just-- wtf?!)

Stay safe guys!
kermitafterdark is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 9:
Alex Strife (07/08/2018), Cthulhu (07/04/2018), f a n c y (07/11/2018), Lex (07/07/2018), LicoriceAllsorts (07/04/2018), lithiumkatana17 (07/06/2018), looneymoon (07/04/2018), Tennyo (07/04/2018), The Twilight Mexican (07/04/2018)
Old 07/04/2018   #81
Tennyo

X-SOLDIER wrote: I think a lot of it also hits during the transition between adolescence and adulthood being weird. It's a time when you're more prone to fall under peer influence, and when that's likely to be subject to strange circumstances, especially while the definition of ones' own identity is a more prominent concern. I think that the reason it feel prominent in fandom is that it's an easy banner under which you can form an identity and collective group of other individuals.
It's true. This whole thing reminds me of something that happened to me in middle school. I met this girl who really fucked with my brain and gave me a lifetime of emotional issues. She tried to convince me of a lot of weird shit and essentially alienated me from my friends.
Old 07/05/2018   #82
Ryushikaze

Strangelove wrote:
LicoriceAllsorts wrote:
Strangelove wrote: i mean

how are a bunch of forum randos supposed to help 'catch' someone. what does catching her mean. a whisper network to help people avoid her? public name and shame? called the police? do like reddit and target the wrong person because internet detectives aren't really that great at detecting?

But don't you see? This is it, this is our call to adventure! I'm going to need some people with tragic backstories, martial arts training and/or magic skills, and a good line in banter. If you know how to cook on a campfire, so much the better.
if my life's great adventure is to be chasing down some internet weirdo who gets too obsessed with online fandoms i am severely disappointed in my fate

i'll see you in hell, lachesis
What did Lachesis ever do to deserve hate? Now, her brother Eldigan on the other hand...

[/reference that like 98% of the forum won't understand]
Old 07/05/2018   #83
Strangelove

i've never seen an eldigan in a megaten game which is my sole baseline for mythology and culture

Old 07/06/2018   #84
Ryushikaze

Strangelove wrote: i've never seen an eldigan in a megaten game which is my sole baseline for mythology and culture

You need to play Fire emblem, then.

The series even crossed over with Megaten.

Eldigan, for the record-

Thanked by:
X-SOLDIER (07/06/2018)
Old 07/06/2018   #85
Strangelove

i was going to play fe but i am going to start from the very beginning
Old 07/06/2018   #86
Mr. Ite

Mr. Ite is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 5:
Alex Strife (07/08/2018), Lex (07/07/2018), looneymoon (07/07/2018), Shademp (07/07/2018), The Twilight Mexican (07/08/2018)
Old 07/07/2018   #87
Lex

kermitafterdark wrote: PSS; I looked around a bit more and she didn't necromance this thread out of the blue, she literally hasn't stopped talking about this since then. Just wanted to throw you guys a warning in case she comes back, because- considering she and Jen are likely in their 30's or 40's- the way she's stalking the teens associated with TC is weirdly feverish, personal and obsessive. Not in an "I subjectively disagree with this" way, but a "This person is objectively unstable and needs help" kind of way.

None of this changes the fact that Jen is a huge creep, but I'm curious as to what and if most of the things in this thread are verifiable. I really hope history hasn't repeated itself (sorry, I'm done now, just-- wtf?!)

Stay safe guys!
I feel like I need more context here so could @Rishi and/ or yourself get in touch via PM or discord with what you've found? I'd appreciate it.

Especially for me, by the awesome GLD!
Serving legendaries with mah Pokécrew.
Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/07/2018   #88
SoZettaSlow

I had a similar experience to this. In the old days of 2012 I was playing on a private server of an old popular MMO called Ragnarok Online. During the my stay on said server there was a group of people who were very strange. They were a small group of 4 women of varying ages and they did rituals in the game. Slowly after noodling my way into the community I found out that most of the desperate and lonely men were involved with these people. One was named Skye and was a NEET who lived in the UK who got money from the men on the server. Another was a tattoo artist named Scarlet, which is the one who approached me, she was a prolific artist in Italy or something along those lines she would also extort men for money. Kay, a 15 year old highschool student, would also attract the more weird men of the community who would buy her an entire amazon wish list totaling to almost $3,000~ There was another named Anna who I didn't talk to much. After talking to the Scarlet woman for half a year (platonically) I got to hear all this weird ass drama between the friends. On how half the men there had women and wives and were funneling money into them. Somewhere it exploded with me being a little curious george to found out that the 15 year old had a similar IP to Scarlet (I had became a Moderator for the server at this point). Which triggered a huge meltdown with atleast 7 guys. I had prodded further to find out that the 4 were all the same person. I just started to refer to them all as Scarlet cause that's what I knew her as. They requested I meet them all in game, so I did. They then threatened to DOX me to people because I ruined their income train. This woman was getting over $5,000 a month from just lonely clueless dudes. Somehow she found out where I lived due to one of the beta orbiters leaking my personal info. So one day I came home to my house window's smashed and a bunch of graffiti on the walls. I never got to find out who did it or who even this Scarlet person really was they just disappeared from the server and our lives. Point is there is people like this in our society and they move on from people to people like a parasite using and abusing it's not really unique to any fandom. They can be anywhere and anyone really.
SoZettaSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 7:
Alex Strife (07/08/2018), BforBrigitta (07/08/2018), f a n c y (07/11/2018), LicoriceAllsorts (07/07/2018), Shademp (07/07/2018), The Twilight Mexican (07/08/2018), X-SOLDIER (07/07/2018)
Old 07/07/2018   #89
looneymoon

Lex wrote:
kermitafterdark wrote: PSS; I looked around a bit more and she didn't necromance this thread out of the blue, she literally hasn't stopped talking about this since then. Just wanted to throw you guys a warning in case she comes back, because- considering she and Jen are likely in their 30's or 40's- the way she's stalking the teens associated with TC is weirdly feverish, personal and obsessive. Not in an "I subjectively disagree with this" way, but a "This person is objectively unstable and needs help" kind of way.

Stay safe guys!
I feel like I need more context here so could @Rishi and/ or yourself get in touch via PM or discord with what you've found? I'd appreciate it.
Not sure how much you want me to corroborate with the receipts. I will say that I agree with Kermita's assessment of the situation.

I don't feel too bad about posting this link because... it seems to be meant for public consumption anyway. But it gives you an idea of how invested OP in this situation. She has a few websites/social media accounts where she's very vocal about her conservative, anti-feminist, anti-"SJW" beliefs.

I think from the posts here it's evident that OP is unstable. I agree the fact that she's this invested kinda creepy. Though I suppose given this Jen person's history, I suppose I can be somewhat sympathetic. Still weird tho. I do think that there's a layer of transphobia that's fueling what we're seeing from her. I didn't bother to mention any of this before because I didn't feel it was appropriate. But yes, it does seem as though Kermita and I have seen the same stuff.

Like I said before, the only thing that I found that "confirms" that FF7 and Hannibal Jen are the same person is the afformentioned tumblr page. It looks like a regularly used, legitimate tumblr page. Not gonna post it for obvious reasons. The impression I got from reading through some of the posts is that it's the tumblr of "Zack" from the FF7 house.

looneymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 5:
f a n c y (07/11/2018), Lex (07/08/2018), Minato (07/07/2018), The Twilight Mexican (07/08/2018), X-SOLDIER (07/09/2018)
Old 07/07/2018   #90
SoZettaSlow

Looneymoon is right on the dot with the OP being a little unhinged. She has been following this stuff frequently for the past 4 going on 5 years. Her Facebook, Twitter, and website have frequent updates. I would almost question her lust for justice. It's almost like she's that crazy ex-girlfriend who stalks her ex and everyone she talks to.

Even if we did find "Jen" what would we do? Is she really a criminal? Would we not find arrest warrants for her name? If OP ever comes back she needs to question why she wasted half a decade chasing after this person to no avail. I would suggest giving up because it's not your duty to do so. You WILL NOT find someone like this who only has a scarce few photos of themselves online and is willing to use fake identities.
SoZettaSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 3:
f a n c y (07/11/2018), looneymoon (07/07/2018), X-SOLDIER (07/09/2018)