The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Topical > Entertainment

Entertainment Poast about movies, television, animé, books, and pyrotechnics in the distance here. Music topics go in The Venue.

Old 05/11/2018   #1021
Shademp

Additional spoiler thoughts

- Although Spiderman's death scene is somewhat "meme tainted" by it being a mimickry of Dr. Who, whether intentional or not, I think it transcends the meme thanks to where it differs from the Dr. Who scene: How Parker collects himself, says "sorry", and remembers that he wants to die with dignity. One of the only truly impacting "fade away" death scenes thanks to the progression from panic to acceptance.
"I believe there's a hero in all of us. That keeps us honest. Gives us strength. Makes us noble. And finally allows us to die with pride." -Aunt May, Spider-Man 2
2:59 →
YouTube Video

I am of course biased due to having read a ton of Spiderman comics as a kid, but in my headcanon Spiderman has one of the strongest wills in the Marvel universe. I apply this headcanon as an explanation to why Parker faded away so slowly: His being was just that tenacious.

- The only other fade-away death that impacted me somewhat was Scarlet Witch. I imagined that she felt some relief to die so that she could join Vision in death.

- I am grateful that I watched this movie as an adult. If I'd been a kid, that entire ending would have left me devastated. Although none of the kids in the cinema cried audibly (where I was), I feel sorry for the kids who have no way to handle that ending.

- Only after reading a reddit post did I understand what Thanos might have meant when he said "I ignored my destiny once. I will not do it again." just before killing Gamora. He may be referring to his homeworld and how he did not enact his plan of preemptive killings to save the civilization. Correct me if I'm wrong and Thanos is in fact referring to some tie-in material.

- Although not strictly speaking a contradiction to how they ended up writing Thanos for Avengers 3, the post-ending credits scene from Avengers 1 now feels off due to its reference to Thanos's boner for the entity who is the physical representation of Death.
YouTube Video

"To challenge them is to court death."
I mean, why else would he smile at the end. Because he likes a challenge? Maybe. But the reference to comic book Thanos dominates this scene.

- Although the ending steals the show, I want to applaud that introduction. It perfectly establishes the tone of the film, who Thanos is, what threat he poses both alone and with his army. Having Hulk so utterly defeated by Thanos both lets the audience in on Thanos's strength and it becomes the start of Hulk's struggle for the rest of the movie (and into the next one). Hulk's ego getting bruised, and perhaps for the first time ever knowing what FEAR is like, is a Hulk storyline that we have not had the pleasure of seeing before in movie format (afaik).

- I will also applaud the middle because it keeps the momentum going at all times. The movie did not bore me through any of the three acts.

EDIT:

Spoiler question

Why was Hulk/Banner beamed straight to Dr. Strange at the beginning of the movie? Simple plot convenience or is there a good explanation for why he ends up at one of the best possible spots rather than the middle of nowhere?

Last edited by Shademp; 05/11/2018 at 06:58 PM.
Shademp is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 3:
Tetsujin (05/11/2018), The Twilight Mexican (05/12/2018), X-SOLDIER (05/11/2018)
Old 05/11/2018   #1022
X-SOLDIER

Shademp wrote: Spoiler question

Why was Hulk/Banner beamed straight to Dr. Strange at the beginning of the movie? Simple plot convenience or is there a good explanation for why he ends up at one of the best possible spots rather than the middle of nowhere?

I would assume that (SPOILER) it's because Banner was sent somewhere rather than just falling into the Bifröst, so it stands to reason that he'd've been directed in his destination. Heimdall can see everything and intentionally directed him somewhere he felt was most useful for getting Earth the most significant cosmic help and simultaneously warning someone who had one of the other Infinity Stones – especially after he'd've seen Thor encounter Strange during Ragnarök.

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

Shademp – on the subject of my seemingly boundless optimism wrote: After Ungoliant had sucked the light from the trees Telperion and Laurelin, she found that there was a third tree but whose light was too potent and immortal for her to absorb. Thusly, Ungoliant left Valinor in tears for she could not absorb the light of the tree named X-SOLDIER.

#TotzCanon

~ | G+ | Facebook | Tumblr | Twitter | DA | TLS | FFOF | FF | SCL | KC | CC | ~
X-SOLDIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 4:
Chloe Frazer (05/12/2018), Joe (05/11/2018), Shademp (05/11/2018), The Twilight Mexican (05/12/2018)
Old 05/12/2018   #1023
X-SOLDIER

Dave Bautista is a national treasure: https://geektyrant.com/news/dave-bau...ternate-scenes

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

Shademp – on the subject of my seemingly boundless optimism wrote: After Ungoliant had sucked the light from the trees Telperion and Laurelin, she found that there was a third tree but whose light was too potent and immortal for her to absorb. Thusly, Ungoliant left Valinor in tears for she could not absorb the light of the tree named X-SOLDIER.

#TotzCanon

Thanked by 4:
Dark and Divine (05/12/2018), looneymoon (05/14/2018), Shademp (05/12/2018), The Twilight Mexican (05/13/2018)
Old 05/13/2018   #1024
Clement Rage

Doesn't seem like people can agree on whether Thanos' plan is too effective or uneffective. Hmm.
The Twilight Mexican (05/13/2018), X-SOLDIER (05/13/2018)
Old 05/13/2018   #1025
X-SOLDIER

Other people who lived and who died: https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5...b032b10bfaa3a0

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

#TotzCanon

Thanked by 6:
AvecAloes (05/16/2018), Chloe Frazer (05/14/2018), Dark and Divine (05/13/2018), Tennyo (05/16/2018), Tetsujin (05/13/2018), The Twilight Mexican (05/13/2018)
Old 05/13/2018   #1026
Interslicery

Thinking about Hulk for a sec, (SPOILER) and how they've said instead of having his own movie, they broke up his story into 3 movies, Ragnarok, IW, and IW sequel.
I think the reason why Hulk is afraid, rather than just because he got slammed, is because he's actually lived, and had his own life for years. Before, he'd just come out for essentially a rampage, or a fight, then Banner would take over again. He's never had a chance to really know life. Now he has, so he's afraid.

Interslicery is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 4:
Shademp (05/13/2018), Tennyo (05/16/2018), The Twilight Mexican (05/13/2018), X-SOLDIER (05/14/2018)
Old 05/16/2018   #1027
Shademp

It took until today for the following *spoiler* thought to occur in my head

You know how the MCU has been criticized for having poor, uninteresting villains? ...Well with Infinity War they just compensated the heck out of that.
Thanked by 2:
The Twilight Mexican (05/16/2018), X-SOLDIER (05/17/2018)
Old 05/16/2018   #1028
looneymoon

I watched this and ended up enjoying it more than I thought I would. A friend of mine described my feelings perfectly when she described it as "absolute competence without any particular artistry." That's kind of where the MCU has come to with this movie, imo.

looneymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
The Twilight Mexican (05/16/2018), X-SOLDIER (05/17/2018)
Old 05/17/2018   #1029
Shademp

Beware trailer-type spoilers and peak Internet meme-ing

YouTube Video
Thanked by 7:
AvecAloes (05/17/2018), Ghost X (05/17/2018), Joe (05/17/2018), Literally Who? (05/17/2018), lithiumkatana17 (08/06/2018), Tennyo (05/17/2018), The Twilight Mexican (05/17/2018)
Old 05/17/2018   #1030
Literally Who?

Oh for fucks sakes When Thanos came out in that video i lost my shit.

What did i just watch lmao
Literally Who? is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
The Twilight Mexican (05/17/2018)
Old 05/19/2018   #1031
Cthulhu

I just watched it, woot

First off, it's better than err, that second one; they've made the pacing a lot better and didn't try to cram every storyline plus an apparently important character in right in (what feels like) the end. Or I just couldn't keep up? Either way. Speaking of which, (SPOILER) Vision is a shit and weaksauce character with no redeeming qualities. Why should we care about him? Because he puts his humongous cyberdick in Olsen? She looks like she could do a lot better than a sex doll,

Rest of the stuff
It's a weird movie in a way, at least when it comes to the ending; it feels disjointed for the most part because most of the movie is a reasonably light-hearted sci-fi-action-comedy that can't tolerate being serious for more than five seconds before they need to crack a joke somewhere to break the tension. Having a lot of characters "die" before the curtains fall just doesn't match up with that IMO.

Annnd let's not even get into the glaring power tier plotholes left and right. Or the shitty trope of "nuuu I'll gibe u the stone just let this dude live", although that was Strange who already Knows everything. Which is a whole 'nother plot hole in of itself (I mean he already fucked up the timeline in his own movie by not allowing the universe to be consumed or whatever, why not just do it again subtly and idk, destroy the time stone anyway? Kill Thanos' parents before he's born? There's about a bajillion possibilities, and that's why time travel / manipulation in fiction is pretty much always a bad idea.

And don't even get me started on that silly battle. Spears and shit, really. When you claim to be the most technologically advanced people in the world, and while Stark and co has literally nanomachines, and there's gods around, and space, and shit? I mean use some lazors on those dropships or whatever. There was an army of full auto iron men a few movies back, why's there not a factory spewing those out by the billions yet? I mean screw moral choices of e.g. using nukes or space tech superweapons or sentient AIs (you lot already crossed that bridge) or have Tyrion make a couple more god weapons (and that storyline implies that the forge had been running for a while before Thanos did his thing, where'd all those weapons go? Plus it looks easy enough to use it, fix that shitty iris, churn out weapons, ????, profit), there's an invading force that will kill half the universe and shit. And you're using spears and some shitty variation of "For the Horde!" and some Spartan grunts to stop it? Fuck off pls.

TL;DR suspension of disbelief? What's that?
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 3:
Dark and Divine (05/20/2018), looneymoon (05/20/2018), Shademp (05/19/2018)
Old 05/20/2018   #1032
Tennyo

Have some wholesome feel-good fanart

Part 1

Part 2

In fact you should check out this artist's entire Tumblr blog wow http://petiteallemande.tumblr.com/
Old 05/20/2018   #1033
Tennyo

Also,

YouTube Video
Old 06/14/2018   #1034
Lucis Caelum

A few days ago Infinity War broke its $2 billon worldwide gross milestone.

Currently at $2.003 billons

Will it surpass Force Awaken's $2.068 billons? Possibly if it manages to remain in theaters for as long as FA did.

However, as far as domestic gross FA still holds the crown at $936.6 millons vs IW at $657.2 millons. Infinity War holds the title of second highest MCU domestic gross, beaten only by Black Panther at $699.4 millons.
Lucis Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 6:
Cthulhu (06/15/2018), Dark and Divine (06/14/2018), Shademp (06/14/2018), Tennyo (06/22/2018), The Twilight Mexican (06/14/2018), X-SOLDIER (06/14/2018)
Old 06/22/2018   #1035
Shademp

YouTube Video
Thanked by 5:
Chloe Frazer (06/22/2018), Dark and Divine (06/22/2018), lithiumkatana17 (08/06/2018), Tennyo (06/22/2018), The Twilight Mexican (06/22/2018)