The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Compilation of Final Fantasy VII > Final Fantasy VII Remake

Final Fantasy VII Remake The remake of FFVII announced at E3 on June 15th, 2015 -- OUR WHOLE LIVES HAVE BEEN LEADING UP TO THIS MOMENT!!

Old 06/16/2015   #1
X-SOLDIER
Default Hopes for the remake (gameplay/combat)

This is gonna be the "what do you want" thread for all of the "Open World vs. World Map" "Active Combat vs. Turn-Based" etc. type discussions, while we're still waiting for Winter for more details so that we can leave the other thread more for storyline type content, and keep all the discussions more focused.

(If someone wants to prune out posts from the old thrad to move them here, it'd be appreciated)

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

Shademp – on the subject of my seemingly boundless optimism wrote: After Ungoliant had sucked the light from the trees Telperion and Laurelin, she found that there was a third tree but whose light was too potent and immortal for her to absorb. Thusly, Ungoliant left Valinor in tears for she could not absorb the light of the tree named X-SOLDIER.

#TotzCanon

~ | G+ | Facebook | Tumblr | Twitter | DA | TLS | FFOF | FF | SCL | KC | CC | ~
X-SOLDIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 4:
Claymore (06/16/2015), f a n c y (05/07/2017), The Mad King (06/16/2015), Theozilla (06/17/2015)
Old 06/16/2015   #2
The Mad King

I would very much prefer open world and active combat myself.

I don't mind turn based combat, but its just not as fun for me as a more action oriented combat system like what FFXV has.

As for open world, I dunno, I just like the sense of exploration I get in an open world setting as opposed to a world map.
Old 06/16/2015   #3
ForceStealer

The only issue with open world-iness is maintaining the scale necessary given that you traverse the entire planet in FF7. Not sure how you do that unless you really scale down the world. Or at least have several large, but separate instanced areas?

hitoshura wrote: Don't belittle my peoples, bitch. We work hard and we do what we're told. And might possibly be Scottish.
ultima espio wrote: I'm not sure if it was a BOMB, it could have been MAKO, KING, BEST, or ORBS.
ForceStealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 3:
Tetsujin (06/16/2015), The Mad King (06/16/2015), Theozilla (06/17/2015)
Old 06/16/2015   #4
Blade

Let's put it this way:

Mime + Quad Summon + Knights of the Round + HP/MP Absorb should NOT be enough to kill everything in this game.
^Here's hoping for:
Valkyrie Profile: Hrist
Metal Gear Rising 2: Re-Revengeance
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 4:
clowd (06/16/2015), JayM (06/17/2015), Splintered (06/17/2015), The Mad King (06/16/2015)
Old 06/16/2015   #5
The Mad King

ForceStealer wrote: The only issue with open world-iness is maintaining the scale necessary given that you traverse the entire planet in FF7. Not sure how you do that unless you really scale down the world. Or at least have several large, but separate instanced areas?
The bolded part seems like a good idea. I'd be be fairly happy if they went that route.
X-SOLDIER (06/16/2015)
Old 06/16/2015   #6
Minato

So a FFXII style airship then?
Minato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/16/2015   #7
The Mad King

Maybe? I'm not really familiar with how FFXII did things past the first few areas.
Old 06/16/2015   #8
Knuxson

I want Cait Sith to fight atop/with the mog...and zero Cait Sith stealth gameplay.
Knuxson is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 3:
Claymore (06/17/2015), The Mad King (06/16/2015), X-SOLDIER (06/16/2015)
Old 06/16/2015   #9
Zee

i want ffxiii style combat bite m e haters

have you got a screw loose? or is it your...animal intuition?

Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
Dana Scully (06/18/2015), Splintered (06/17/2015)
Old 06/16/2015   #10
AvecAloes

I would really like to be able to input commands. Whether that be through an ATB turn-based system like the original game (which I kind of think would be unlikely) or some sort of hybrid like XIII's (which, I know, you could really just let it set the commands automatically, but having the option to quickly choose and input multiple commands for chains was a lot of fun), I don't care. I don't really want to have a system purely like XV's, where only one character is playable and the others are just AI. I want to be the one telling Cloud et al to cast lightning at Carry Armor and wreck that shit up.

AND YOU BETTER GIVE ME SLOT REELS YOU JERKS
Claymore (06/17/2015), f a n c y (05/07/2017), JayM (06/17/2015), Minato (06/17/2015), Monterosa (06/17/2015)
Old 06/17/2015   #11
clowd

ForceStealer wrote: The only issue with open world-iness is maintaining the scale necessary given that you traverse the entire planet in FF7. Not sure how you do that unless you really scale down the world. Or at least have several large, but separate instanced areas?
I'd be fine with doing the world map like FFXII. That felt open enough for me. A linear game like FFX/FFXIII will absolutely not work. FFVII was not linear at all. OK maybe it a general sense it was, but you had more then a 5 foot wide path to follow to the next area/town. It had a very good sense of freedom and exploration. Whatever method they use, they need to recapture that.

Just scale the whole world down, maybe it takes 5 minutes to walk from Midgar to Kalm instead of 5 seconds, and 15 minutes to get to the Chocobo farm. Next gen game worlds like The Witcher 3 are MASSIVE. Its world map is 150 square kilometers. I think they could do the FF7 world plenty of justice at 1/3 that size. 50 square kilometers would be plenty. And you have to remember something like 70% of the world map is water, so its not as much work as it sounds like.

They need to really focus on the cities. Thats what made the PS1 FFs stand out IMO. Wall Market must be epic. And Midgar of course. Rocket Town and so on.

The battle system could use alot more balancing. Blade made some good points. For example I'd like to see the effectiveness of the hero drink reduced greatly for example.

Theres so much to talk about, this is not even the tip of the iceberg.
clowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 7:
Claymore (06/17/2015), f a n c y (05/07/2017), ForceStealer (06/17/2015), JayM (06/17/2015), Monterosa (06/17/2015), The Man (06/17/2015), Theozilla (06/17/2015)
Old 06/17/2015   #12
Dolorian

They could definitely nerf some things (MIME + Summon materia spam and the like) so as to give the difficulty a much needed bump. The OG is rather easy as it is.

As far as actual battle mechanics goes, I am expecting them to change this quite a bit and I would welcome it too if done right. I would definitely like a setup similar to XII with seamless exploration/battle as opposed to separate screens and where you can set up the AI of your characters but can also take over any of them at any time and input commands directly. That said, I definitely wouldn't want a setup like XV where you only control one character. Being able to swap party members in an out during battle like in X would also be great.

In terms of other things, I would like them to implement fully the vehicles like the buggy, submarine, tiny bronco and the highwind as they are such an integral part of the story and the world's exploration that it would feel quite odd to take them out or do them in a way similar to X or XII.
Dolorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Theozilla (06/17/2015)
Old 06/17/2015   #13
Trainer Red

Eli wrote: So a FFXII style airship then?
If they deprive me of being able to fly the Highwind around while listening to The Highwind Takes To The Skies I will legitimately shank a bitch They can't take that out, how else are we going to be able to chase down the Ultimate Weapon?

I think it'd be more practical that you can call the Highwind to pick you up via PHS and enable autopilot to a location if you so wished, but at the same time have it so that you can manually steer the ship yourself. (But, I guess we'll have to wait and see how XV handles the open world map.)

As for the battle system...I kinda hope that it can be bit action oriented? It always bothered me in XII and XIII that you can't really do anything to dodge or avoid the enemy's attack when you're standing 50 feet away from them and somehow Fira always manages to hit me.

Scared of Life wrote: I THINK The Wii can play Blue Ray because it has Bluetooth and aren't they the same thing?
I'm just a girl who bought the Wii because of the Wii Mote. It's so nice and it vibrates.
Trainer Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/17/2015   #14
Lex

I know we're talking about OP'd materia and going "let's nerf it because it kills everything" but I've got to be honest, I strongly disagree with that. KOTR kills everything because it takes a ridiculous amount of time and effort to get. Who the hell would bother with it if it wasn't OP?

Especially for me, by the awesome GLD!
Serving legendaries with mah Pokécrew.
Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 8:
Claymore (06/17/2015), f a n c y (05/07/2017), Minato (06/17/2015), Obsidian Fire (06/17/2015), Splintered (06/17/2015), Tetsujin (06/17/2015), Trainer Red (06/17/2015), Wolf_ (06/17/2015)
Old 06/17/2015   #15
Clement Rage

It'll never happen, but level caps like FF13
Clement Rage is offline   Reply With Quote