The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Compilation of Final Fantasy VII > Final Fantasy VII Remake

Final Fantasy VII Remake The remake of FFVII announced at E3 on June 15th, 2015 -- OUR WHOLE LIVES HAVE BEEN LEADING UP TO THIS MOMENT!!

Old 06/27/2015   #1
Lex
Default Voice Acting Discussion

So I rewatched AC yesterday and for the first time since I bought the DVD back in 2006 or whatever, I watched it in English (got ACC in the post yesterday).

I've tried to watch the English dub a few times, but I always change it back to Japanese right around the time the three sephiteers appear on the screen. Because I think their VA's are fucking shocking.

However, I discovered that I actually really liked a few of the VA's. Of note:

Steve Burton shocked me. I don't know if I was expecting it to be shitty because people complain about Cloud's character in AC, but he really brought a more cheerful dimension to the character (later in the movie). I found his voice so appropriate.

Rachel Leigh Cook was a lot softer than I would want Tifa's to be (and than the JP VA's), but I think she did an impressive job. I don't think I'd feel shitty if they changed her VA for the remake, but I wouldn't mind if it was her again.

Steve Blum as Vincent. Kind of goes without saying because I thought he was well voiced in Dirge too.

Nobody else really stood out to me. I think Mena Suvari is a terrible Aerith, and would for sure prefer Andrea Bowen.

Also as a side note yesterday is the first time I've ever watched the Episode Denzel OVA and it hit me right in the feels. I've read the novella before but something about the way it's animated is really cool. Doesn't get enough praise.

Especially for me, by the awesome GLD!
Serving legendaries with mah Pokécrew.

Last edited by Lex; 06/27/2015 at 03:06 PM.
Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 8:
Ami (06/27/2015), Fangu (06/28/2015), ForceStealer (06/27/2015), Minato (07/01/2015), Octo (06/27/2015), Shademp (06/27/2015), Teioh (06/27/2015), Tennyo (06/27/2015)
Old 06/27/2015   #2
ForceStealer

You only just got ACC? Was this your first time watching it?

hitoshura wrote: Don't belittle my peoples, bitch. We work hard and we do what we're told. And might possibly be Scottish.
ultima espio wrote: I'm not sure if it was a BOMB, it could have been MAKO, KING, BEST, or ORBS.
ForceStealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/27/2015   #3
Shademp

I have only watched the English dub twice. It is a mixed bag ranging from terrible to decent to very good, ergo why it is so difficult and jading for me to watch. I have had the Japanese version play in the background on my computer countless times though.

I approve of most English voice actors in the Compilation though. I'd very much like to see them return for the remake, but I'd also want reassurance that they get proper direction for every scene.
Shademp is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Tetsujin (06/27/2015)
Old 06/27/2015   #4
Lex

ForceStealer wrote: You only just got ACC? Was this your first time watching it?
Oh no no no. I've seen it a thousand times, I just never owned the thing . It's the only FFVII related thing I didn't day-one buy, and that's because at the time I had no way to play blu-rays. Also I already had the Advent Children DVD so it truly felt like wasted money since there was no collectors edition or anything here. The only plus I would get from owning it is... well owning it, and having easy access to switch between English and Japanese voice acting. And since my desire to watch it with the English VA's is less than zero...

Shademp wrote: I have only watched the English dub twice. It is a mixed bag ranging from terrible to decent to very good, ergo why it is so difficult and jading for me to watch. I have had the Japanese version play in the background on my computer countless times though.

I approve of most English voice actors in the Compilation though. I'd very much like to see them return for the remake, but I'd also want reassurance that they get proper direction for every scene.
This is one thing I find weird. I have no problem with the English voice acting in Crisis Core or Dirge, but I think the English voice acting in AC is terrible. It's like they focused too hard on getting big names, and some of them were just terrible VA's even if they were well known actors.

Thanked by:
LicoriceAllsorts (06/27/2015)
Old 06/27/2015   #5
Tennyo

So glad there's someone else who likes Steve Burton as Cloud. He gets a lot of hate. I know he may not be the best actor in the world but I like his voice. I think it fits Cloud.
Old 06/27/2015   #6
Joe

I think what bothers me most is that the voices for Kadaj, Yazoo and Loz are really appealing to me, but the execution and direction is god awful.

Personally I quite like ACC's voice cast otherwise but if I were to change anybody it would be Yuffie. She just didn't seem to stand out.

Reject common sense to make the impossible possible!

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 3:
Fangu (06/28/2015), Shademp (06/27/2015), Tetsujin (06/27/2015)
Old 06/27/2015   #7
Lex

I was really listening to his voice and thinking "this dude could do a fantastic job with the remake". I thought it fit Cloud too, to my own surprise. I HAVE watched it English one time before, but I was so taken aback with some of the voices I resolved never to do it again. It doesn't help that a friend made me a copy of a super early release version of AC (I think it may even have been pre-release) when I was in high school and I watched it like a hundred times with subs before the English version was even a thing.

EDIT: I hated all three "remnant" voices. Hated. Loz's had some good moments during the fight with Tifa, but the rest was utter garbage.

Thanked by 3:
Fangu (06/28/2015), Kermitu Kleric Katie (08/19/2015), Tennyo (06/27/2015)
Old 06/27/2015   #8
Shademp

Some of Yuffie's lines in Advent Children could sound better, but I think her voice itself is perfect and I liked her in in KHII and Dirge of Cerberus. If Mae Whitman doesn't voice Yuffie in the remake I will most likely be disappointed.
Thanked by 3:
Ami (06/27/2015), Kermitu Kleric Katie (08/19/2015), Lex (06/27/2015)
Old 06/27/2015   #9
Tetsujin

Joe wrote:
Personally I quite like ACC's voice cast otherwise but if I were to change anybody it would be Yuffie. She just didn't seem to stand out.
They *did* change Yuffie's voice actually.
Tetsujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Shademp (06/27/2015)
Old 06/27/2015   #10
ForceStealer

Another unsung hero of ACComplete is Marlene. The original Marlene was okay, but the new one in Complete is phenomenal.

hitoshura wrote: Don't belittle my peoples, bitch. We work hard and we do what we're told. And might possibly be Scottish.
ultima espio wrote: I'm not sure if it was a BOMB, it could have been MAKO, KING, BEST, or ORBS.
Thanked by 2:
Fangu (06/28/2015), Shademp (06/27/2015)
Old 06/27/2015   #11
Lex

So they did, I just looked that up. Mae Whitman for KHII and DoC and Christy Carlson Romano for AC and KHI. Mae Whitman is better

EDIT: Force, I agree that ACC EN Marlene is better than AC EN Marlene, but nothing matches JP.

LAIFUSTREAMU, NANE-MO... or whatever she says. I can't deal with the movie not starting like that XD.

Thanked by 3:
Ami (06/27/2015), Kermitu Kleric Katie (08/19/2015), Shademp (06/27/2015)
Old 06/27/2015   #12
Shademp

Tetsujin wrote: They *did* change Yuffie's voice actually.
...Holy crap you appear to be right. o___O

At least according to imdb, Yuffie's English VA in Advent Children is Christy Carlson Romano. I need to look into multiple sources now.

EDIT: Yup, it checks out.
Old 06/27/2015   #13
ForceStealer

Yes, Shademp. Yuffie absolutely has two voices. Mae Whitman and Christy Carlson Romano. I actually thought Romano did a good job, but there's nothing wrong with Whitman. Yuffie was just annoying in DC.

@Lex, maybe, but English Marlene impersonating Barret is flawless and I won't trade it for the Japanese one.

Thanked by 2:
Minato (10/05/2016), Shademp (06/27/2015)
Old 06/27/2015   #14
Tennyo

Yeah, it's really hard to tell the different between Yuffie's voice actresses. Thy sound a lot alike.

The only voice that I found to be overly grating to the point where I can't stand it was Aerith. I'm sure Mena Suvari is a nice person and all but she needs to be replaced.

I'm also a tiny but unsure about Rufus. I mean it wasn't awful but I was never quite sure if I liked it, either.
Old 06/27/2015   #15
Shademp

Tennyo wrote: I'm also a tiny but unsure about Rufus. I mean it wasn't awful but I was never quite sure if I liked it, either.
In a way that's appropriate, because we are supposed to be not sure if we like and/or trust Rufus. WHERE DO WE HAVE HIM