The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Topical > Gaming

Gaming Discuss all things gaming in this subsection.

Old 01/26/2010   #1
null
Default Mass Effect Series

YouTube Video

Looks solid. If you didn't already pirate this shit, it comes out tomorrow in NA and Friday in EU.

So is anybody else a fan of ME? I hate being the "hype" guy but this is the first game I've been really, REALLY excited about in ages.

Last edited by null; 01/26/2010 at 03:24 AM.
null is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2010   #2
Strangelove

I want to get it, but I haven't played the first one and don't have the XBox nor a good enough PC to do so. I might start mooching off other people for it
Strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2010   #3
null

Yeah I figured this would be a mostly PS3 crowd. But it's fun, and yeah try it on a PC at some point.

At the very least, enjoy the trailer music. It's so epic and bonery.
Old 01/26/2010   #4
Strangelove

I wasn't expecting Martin Sheen to be in there.

Looking for an XBox was next on my list after looking for another job
Strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2010   #5
Bex

Have played ME1, will buy this when it's sat in a bargain bin somewhere.
Old 01/26/2010   #6
Cthulhu

I liked ME1 enough, but I probably should get a console and a legal version (of both) for once.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2010   #7
Alex

I'll be getting this. I heard they did away with the old combat system, which was the gamebreaking thing about the first game for me.
Old 01/26/2010   #8
Cat Rage Room

I'm playing right now, just got it yesterday.

This. Game. Is. So. Good.

Japan (and by extension, Final Fantasy) could learn a lot from Mass Effect. It's really, really, good. The storytelling, narrative, and the plot and universe itself is fucking golden.

Also, for the sake of discussion, please put any and all spoilers in spoiler tags, and please indicate approximately what you're spoiling without spoiling anything (ex "Early game spoilers/first mission spoilers/late game spoilers").
Cat Rage Room is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2010   #9
ForceStealer

I played Mass Effect 1 finally just a few weeks ago...and while I admit I didn't play TOO much of it, I wasn't really blown away. The universe was definitely cool but the rest of it, just kinda struck me as meh.

hitoshura wrote: Don't belittle my peoples, bitch. We work hard and we do what we're told. And might possibly be Scottish.
ultima espio wrote: I'm not sure if it was a BOMB, it could have been MAKO, KING, BEST, or ORBS.
ForceStealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2010   #10
Interslicery

ForceStealer wrote: I played Mass Effect 1 finally just a few weeks ago...and while I admit I didn't play TOO much of it, I wasn't really blown away. The universe was definitely cool but the rest of it, just kinda struck me as meh.
this. I bought it a few months after it came out, and didnt bother finishing it. nothing really stood out about it to me. I dont get the hype, tho I might pick it up once it's 10-20 bucks for lulz

Interslicery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2010   #11
Splintered

Damn me and my financially insufficient livings.

I played a bit of the first Mass Effect and I liked it. Though I could definitely wait until the price dropped.

Splintered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2010   #12
null

ME 1 has been dirt cheap for a long time. You can download it for $20 IIRC on XBox Live (what is that, like 15 ?). ME 2 will probably be the same.

ForceStealer wrote: I played Mass Effect 1 finally just a few weeks ago...and while I admit I didn't play TOO much of it, I wasn't really blown away. The universe was definitely cool but the rest of it, just kinda struck me as meh.
Yeah, that's why I'm hesitant to overhype it.

I totally understand ME 1's criticisms. It suffers horribly from Xenogear-itis, it was too ambitious and obviously rushed. The buildings and planets are ridiculously repetitive. Driving the Mako was a chore, the planets were too big and exiting at the wrong place on a mountain means you get stuck and have to reset. The decryption minigame was kinda neat except when they want you to "decrypt" fucking rocks and corpses. The sniper rifle was pointless because there's no headshots, and all enemies invariable "snipe" you back. It's buggy - more than once I started a game running around in the sky, or got stuck on a bridge in the Citadel. The music was decent and yet forgettable.

That said, I loved it. The story was meaty enough, the characters interesting and believable, the battle system intuitive and the dialog captivating no matter which path you take.

And if you were a fan of ME 1, you'll LOVE the new one. So far it looks like they've addressed every major complaint, and the game is conspicuously more polished. Also, Mog's not kidding about spoilers - I was immediately blown away in the first 5 minutes and did NOT see what was coming. I'll wait a few more days before passing judgement, maybe give a mini-review (probably beat it at least once by then too). But right now I'm stoked.

Mog wrote: Japan (and by extension, Final Fantasy) could learn a lot from Mass Effect. It's really, really, good. The storytelling, narrative, and the plot and universe itself is fucking golden.
See, that's what I'm talking about. Story-wise, FF games tend to feel like mediocre comic books: they start with over-exaggerated characters targeted at a narrow demographic, come up with a setting next, and end up writing plot last. The result is beautiful, trendy characters in a breathtaking setting with a dubious plot at best.
Old 01/27/2010   #13
Cat Rage Room

I played Mass Effect 1 finally just a few weeks ago...and while I admit I didn't play TOO much of it, I wasn't really blown away. The universe was definitely cool but the rest of it, just kinda struck me as meh.
this. I bought it a few months after it came out, and didnt bother finishing it. nothing really stood out about it to me. I dont get the hype, tho I might pick it up once it's 10-20 bucks for lulz
Get past the Citadel. It can be very, very boring. Because I was the same way. Once you're past it, you're good to go. It does have its flaws though, but the good ideas are executed beautifully.
Old 01/27/2010   #14
Cthulhu

Yeah, part one, while sexy, can be boring - long bits of just talking in the Citadel at first. It loses points on the combat system too, which is a bit like an RPG shooter. A pretty good method of combining the two, in a sense, but just not good enough for the game - which, really, looks and feels (or wants to, anyways) more like a third person shooter than an RPG. They've reworked the combat in ME2 (I read in a review) and added stuff like a cover system and probably other stuff.

I hope they made the magic system (or whatever) fun to use too - I've yet to play a game where playing as a wizzard is actually as much fun as a warrior. Although Star Wars: The Force Unleashed does a good attempt (its controls are too wonky).

Anyways. I liked the story and atmosphere on ME1, and this seems to be the best sci-fi title in years / for years to come.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/31/2010   #15
Cat Rage Room

Just beat Mass Effect 2.

I can honestly say that this is one of the best games I've ever played. If there was ever a contest, if we're going by Mass Effect 2 alone, the West is beating the shit out of Japan in the RPG category right now. The first Mass Effect was great, but this...this is seriously a league in its own.