The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Topical > Entertainment

Entertainment Poast about movies, television, animé, books, and pyrotechnics in the distance here. Music topics go in The Venue.

Old 06/23/2010   #1
looneymoon
Default Evangelion

Thought I'd post this as seperate from the general animu thread.

I've just gotten back from watching rebuild and have to say that I am slightly fangasming. It's Eva with the production budget it never had!

Also, I was wondering if the platinum version DVDs are worth the investment (I've found a used version of the platinum box set on Ebay for $15 including shipping). I have some old pirated DVD copies but it's missing the last episode and the subtitles are kind of wonky.

looneymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
Max Payne (06/23/2010), Omega (06/23/2010)
Old 06/23/2010   #2
Max Payne

Misato Katsuragi wrote: Thought I'd post this as seperate from the general animu thread.

I've just gotten back from watching rebuild and have to say that I am slightly fangasming. It's Eva with the production budget it never had!

Also, I was wondering if the platinum version DVDs are worth the investment (I've found a used version of the platinum box set on Ebay for $15 including shipping). I have some old pirated DVD copies but it's missing the last episode and the subtitles are kind of wonky.
I actually enjoyed the second movie more than most of the original series :/
Max Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/23/2010   #3
Omega

I've not seen any of the movies, and I have no idea wtf 'Rebuild' is.

But I have the platinum DVD set, and you should definitely buy it. Best eighty dollars for anime I ever spent. =D
Old 06/23/2010   #4
Raquelborn

Is this Rebuild 3.0 or are all four movies out already?

If so I better prepare for some fangasming tonight.

Raquelborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/23/2010   #5
Max Payne

there's a good while before the last two movies are released unfortunately.
Thanked by:
Unit-01 (01/17/2017)
Old 06/23/2010   #6
looneymoon

I'm Batman wrote: I actually enjoyed the second movie more than most of the original series :/
I've only seen the first one so far. It was basically just a straight up remake of the first few episodes with little variation, but I had no problem with that. It worked well as a segway into the rest of the series, as it sets up all the ~mysteries~ for new fans and demonstrates to old fans how carefully they're handling the material. There are still three more movies for there to be more changes.

Also, considering the episodes the second deals with, I wouldn't be surprised if the quality is that much better. Don't get me wrong, some of the best moments come from the middle of the series (the Asuka/Shinji synchronized fight, berserk eva ripping Touji to shreds etc.) but I think it also suffered from the drab "monster of the week" formula which made it a little bit meh. IMO the plot doesn't get really interesting until the latter episodes when all the psycho shit happens. Granted, it's been years since I've seen the series but that was the impression I had when I watched it last.

If anything, Rebuild has motivated me to pick up the series again so hurrah I have the Platinum box set ordered

looneymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/23/2010   #7
Vendel

Why do I suddenly feel like masturbating over a comatose girl?
Vendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
Dark and Divine (06/23/2010), ForceStealer (06/23/2010)
Old 06/23/2010   #8
Strangelove

Misato Katsuragi wrote: I've only seen the first one so far. It was basically just a straight up remake of the first few episodes with little variation, but I had no problem with that. It worked well as a segway into the rest of the series, as it sets up all the ~mysteries~ for new fans and demonstrates to old fans how carefully they're handling the material. There are still three more movies for there to be more changes.
From the second film on, it does seem to be going in its own direction or giving a new spin on events from the original series compared with the 'remake' feel of the first film.
Old 06/23/2010   #9
Alex Strife

It may not be a remake.

And that's all I can say!

PS: Both the original series and rebuild are plain awesome, by the way.
Old 06/23/2010   #10
Max Payne

Misato Katsuragi wrote: I've only seen the first one so far. It was basically just a straight up remake of the first few episodes with little variation, but I had no problem with that. It worked well as a segway into the rest of the series, as it sets up all the ~mysteries~ for new fans and demonstrates to old fans how carefully they're handling the material. There are still three more movies for there to be more changes.

Also, considering the episodes the second deals with, I wouldn't be surprised if the quality is that much better. Don't get me wrong, some of the best moments come from the middle of the series (the Asuka/Shinji synchronized fight, berserk eva ripping Touji to shreds etc.) but I think it also suffered from the drab "monster of the week" formula which made it a little bit meh. IMO the plot doesn't get really interesting until the latter episodes when all the psycho shit happens. Granted, it's been years since I've seen the series but that was the impression I had when I watched it last.

If anything, Rebuild has motivated me to pick up the series again so hurrah I have the Platinum box set ordered
Dood, rebuild follows it's own groove, and it's not so much a remake as a retelling, with events and some characters being vastly different.
Old 06/24/2010   #11
Super Mario

Gonna get me dem DVD's to see... I hope it's 2 hours long or something for the 1st film.

YAHOO!
Super Mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/24/2010   #12
Strangelove

The second film is about 2 hours, but the first was only 1 and a half.
Old 06/24/2010   #13
Max Payne

The second film is also so much more awesome than the first. Parkour Eva ftw
Old 06/24/2010   #14
Super Mario

Looks like it's time to PIRATE DAT SHIT.

To the piratebay!

YAHOO!
Super Mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/29/2010   #15
Animexcel

Evangelion 2.22 was awesome. I enjoyed it more than the tv series too. Can't wait to see what happens next
Animexcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Max Payne (06/29/2010)