The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Site, Forums, Staff & Projects > Forum News & Information

Forum News & Information News and issues concerning the forums go here

Old 08/17/2010   #76
Omega

Quexinos wrote: There's tons of LPs out there though, I mean... I don't think an LP is the best way to get visitors. You should try something unique. Something no other site has... dunno what that is but that'd what I'd do.
Amazing contribution, that.
Old 08/17/2010   #77
Cat Rage Room

She sorta has a point, though. The best and most well known LPs are the ones that are really, really good, have a lot of personality to them, or have some magnetic gimmick to them. It's worth mentioning that there really ARE a lot of LPs where the guy is just like "Well, I'm going to use Thunder on this robot here...yeah...".

You're an interesting guy, though, so it's not something impossible for you to do!

beatbox the Zanarkand theme or some shit I dunno I mean damn
Cat Rage Room is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 3:
Celes Chere (08/18/2010), Hisako (08/17/2010), Omega (08/17/2010)
Old 08/17/2010   #78
Omega

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough.
Quexinos wrote: You should try something unique. Something no other site has... dunno what that is but that'd what I'd do.

As for personality, so far it looks like Alex and I will be working on it. I'll play the game, we edit out the level grinding, and hey presto! we have a LP. Although I think having other people in on it would be interesting as well - similar to how a podcast with hosts would have someone different every week to comment as well. And then we could do thematic conversation - be it the plot, discussion of fights, design, whatever.

I'm very passionate about this, and I'm going to make sure that it is amazing.
Old 08/17/2010   #79
Cat Rage Room

For what little its worth, I have absolute faith in you, bro. Keep us in the loop, man!
Thanked by 2:
Omega (08/17/2010), The Twilight Mexican (08/18/2010)
Old 08/18/2010   #80
The Twilight Mexican

I second everything Mog has said, including that last post. I really look forward to whatever you're going to do, Megs.
Old 08/20/2010   #81
Alex

I've seen quite a few Let's Play's now and they always get more interesting when it isn't just one guy narrating. Having two or three people involved and getting them debating, discussing and joking on together is the easiest and simplest way to make it better to watch for other people. Luckily there have been quite a few people interested in getting in on doing this, so I'm pretty confident.
Old 08/20/2010   #82
Omega

I think what we've decided so far is that it will be Alex and I collaborating on the commentary, but I think it'd be kind of cool to have someone different for different parts of the experience; for example, if the game is broken into a number of 10-15 minute videos, have someone new join for three videos, then rotate.

Although we could certainly have more, ofc.

Thoughts?
Old 08/22/2010   #83
Omega

Update: Shit.

Fraps sucks, because I refuse to pay to record in segments of more than 40 seconds. THe program I'm using instead doesn't record audio, barring what comes in from the mic. So I got another to pick up just the audio, and it absolutely sucks and gets nothing done.

Six hours of work, and an hour of gameplay, all wasted. why.
Old 08/22/2010   #84
Hisako

I'd suggest doing something illegal, but I'm not that stupid, unfortunately.

I guess you might end up having to pay for it if worst comes to worst?

RIP in peace old sig lolol 04/2015

Don't believe your eyes? Don't be surprised.

Hisako is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Literally Who? (08/22/2010)
Old 08/22/2010   #85
Literally Who?

Yeah get to torrenting, do what you have to do to make this work this forum depends on it.

That said i read the first page, skimmed the second and skipped to this page (i do this for all important threads anyway )
So forgive me if i just repeat something someone already suggested.

How about covering General RPG's, they dont have to be new or anything but coming up with relevant and neat articles on classics would rock.
For instance discussion on the freudian concepts present in Xenogears, Helping readers make the connection between Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross (its there damn it!), the transition of dominance from JRPG classics like FF to WRPG behemoths like ME and FO3.

Things like that would be really awesome and alot more entertaining then "Tetsuya thinks FF7 can be remade SOMEDAY", which imo would be alot more worthwhile , thought provoking and hopefully activity provoking on the front page then just a screen cap and a copy pasta from another site.

Other cool quirky ideas could be original content on the front page like, we make a thread here making out a list of why "X game is so neat" or what ever, then we choose the best reasons and make a top 10 list or something.

For instance (since im replaying xenogears right now and its fresh in my mind) TLS members top 10 reasnos why Xenogears is the best game evar.
1. A big ass pink dog that kicks ass!

And so on and so forth, ive always thought that user input is the first thing to lead to an active community that doesnt just post in a general disccusion forum. If we can all start working together we can make this happen. We have spunk and to much charisma to be waiting around on FF7 updates from SE to come down the road.
Literally Who? is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 6:
Alex (08/22/2010), Cat Rage Room (08/22/2010), LicoriceAllsorts (08/22/2010), looneymoon (08/22/2010), Omega (08/22/2010), The Twilight Mexican (08/25/2010)
Old 08/22/2010   #86
Cat Rage Room

Eh. I feel like sticking to the original idea.

I don't want to give the impression that I'm shooting ideas down or anything, I just want to respectfully state that we're (or at least, I am) sticking to our original plan of covering the classic FF (we're writing our own content by the way) and first and foremost, the Compilation. I admire your idea and I thank you for it; we'll keep some of those ideas in mind, dude.

Update: Shit.

Fraps sucks, because I refuse to pay to record in segments of more than 40 seconds. THe program I'm using instead doesn't record audio, barring what comes in from the mic. So I got another to pick up just the audio, and it absolutely sucks and gets nothing done.

Six hours of work, and an hour of gameplay, all wasted. why.
Get Camstudio. I might be able to hook you up if you don't have it/can't get it.
Thanked by 3:
Alex (08/22/2010), Omega (08/22/2010), The Twilight Mexican (08/25/2010)
Old 08/22/2010   #87
Omega

Just downloaded. Time to go redo what I already did.

From the looks of things, I'm probably just going to record the gameplay itself with no audio, and then go back and do commentary and layer it in. I might try and find videos of the major/important cutscenes and edit those in over the gameplay, so that those have audio. Dunno.
Old 08/22/2010   #88
Cat Rage Room

Do that. That usually works best.
Thanked by:
The Twilight Mexican (08/25/2010)
Old 08/22/2010   #89
Madame Mayor

Diego Armando wrote: I think what we've decided so far is that it will be Alex and I collaborating on the commentary, but I think it'd be kind of cool to have someone different for different parts of the experience; for example, if the game is broken into a number of 10-15 minute videos, have someone new join for three videos, then rotate.

Although we could certainly have more, ofc.

Thoughts?
I'll volunteer. Actually, I was thinking about this the other day, I remember it being talked about back when the site first started. I think it's a great idea.
Madame Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/22/2010   #90
Omega

So I got the first recording done, from the loading of the game through to the save point in the underwater salvage section. I then paused the recording and saved what I had so far on CamStudio (the recording is just over 1GB and about an hour in length).

And now I can't play it back.

Grumble.

Brooke: Awesome =D

Edit: Okay, I got it open in the SWF Producer. Other than being in dire need of editing to improve the framerate issues of the emulator (there's some slight but noticeable lag that needs to be eliminated to make the video play smoothly), it looks okay.

Maybe I can actually do this after all

Last edited by Omega; 08/22/2010 at 08:37 PM.
Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
Literally Who? (08/23/2010), The Twilight Mexican (08/25/2010)