The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Site, Forums, Staff & Projects > Forum News & Information

Forum News & Information News and issues concerning the forums go here

Old 08/22/2010   #91
Hisako

We should try and expand to "stuff Square Enix has a hand in".

Because this means we get an excuse to cover completely different series and stuff.

RIP in peace old sig lolol 04/2015

Don't believe your eyes? Don't be surprised.

Hisako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/23/2010   #92
Literally Who?

Eh. I feel like sticking to the original idea.

I don't want to give the impression that I'm shooting ideas down or anything, I just want to respectfully state that we're (or at least, I am) sticking to our original plan of covering the classic FF (we're writing our own content by the way) and first and foremost, the Compilation. I admire your idea and I thank you for it; we'll keep some of those ideas in mind, dude.
I dont want to be a dick but FF is getting worse and worse and the compilation is going nowhere.
Everytime you guys say you need to figure out a way to achieve fresh new activity you just end up going back to square one without really adding anything thats very new to the site.

I get what your saying, and its admiral you want to stick to your guns. But no one every got anywhere sticking to there guns, in order for a site to continually rake in members and activity is to adapt with the times otherwise we are going to be doomed to be the next FFoF, FCF, FFF,ACF,FFE,FFR and so on and so forth. Every FF forum ive been on over the years has had this discussion and every single one decided that sticking to there guns would be best.

Theres 2 things all those sites had in common.
1.They stuck to there guns.
2. There all dead.

Nobody gives a damn about just another FF7 forum to be honest =/
Literally Who? is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
The Twilight Mexican (08/25/2010)
Old 08/23/2010   #93
ForceStealer

FFoF and FCF never really had anything to do with FF. ACF's collapse had nothing to do with FF, and FFF is still around. I'm not familiar with those other sites, but frankly I see much more frequently that the announcement that a site is shifting their focus is a death knell. It just looks desperate.

As for "just another FF7" forum, what other ones are there these days? There's ff7citadel I guess, if that's still around (and if it is that's actually impressive). Secondly, this was never supposed to be an FF7 forum but a content site. Yop didn't even want a forum here for awhile.

Everytime you guys say you need to figure out a way to achieve fresh new activity you just end up going back to square one without really adding anything thats very new to the site.
The bolded part is the problem, not the "going back to square one." We never move forward with suggestions that are made, and that's why it hasn't worked.

hitoshura wrote: Don't belittle my peoples, bitch. We work hard and we do what we're told. And might possibly be Scottish.
ultima espio wrote: I'm not sure if it was a BOMB, it could have been MAKO, KING, BEST, or ORBS.
ForceStealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
Tennyo (08/23/2010), The Twilight Mexican (08/25/2010)
Old 08/23/2010   #94
Literally Who?

FFoF and FCF never really had anything to do with FF
Herp derp the point isnt whether it was about FF or not, it was about them not changing anything to bring in activity.

ACF's collapse had nothing to do with FF,
Its collapse came because we were all so damn bored due to no updates or new activity that we kept bitching till SY went even crazier and shut the place down. If anything ACF is the worst case scenario of what can happen when nothing is done.

and FFF is still around.
And its still a piece of shit site thats not doing so well either way.

As for "just another FF7" forum, what other ones are there these days?
Your points are counter intuitive. Theres a reason theres barely any other FF7 forums, its a dry subject pool that can not and will not bring in activity. Theres a reason why you cant find forums for xenogears, chrono trigger,ect , theres nothing left to talk about and in the case of FF7 what little is left to talk about is based around subpar installations(DoC, CC, bc and AC respectively).
Prouding ourselves on being one of the few FF7 sites around is ridiculous, like i said earlier we got to much going for us to wait on the sidelines for SE to announce the next piece of shit sequel for FF7 (or FF in general). If we expand to atleast General SE were doing more for ourselves then what SE could do for us.

The bolded part is the problem, not the "going back to square one." We never move forward with suggestions that are made, and that's why it hasn't worked.
Because any worthwhile suggestions are just thrown in the trashbin because it doesnt flow well with your ideas of what TLS should be. Which is fair and fine you guys pay for the site i dont. But then again if your all bitching in staff forum about how repetitive the sites getting then you need to do something different for a change.

How many times did we talk on FCF about change? Multiple times over the years iirc.
How many times did we actually even start the ideas presented?

Wheres FCF now? Oh its fools gold now

but frankly I see much more frequently that the announcement that a site is shifting their focus is a death knell. It just looks desperate.
Thats usually when they make completely dastric changes, the ideas posted so far havent been drafted at all.
I would not say these are desperate times, so i wont say we need desperate measures but its usually a good idea to make change long before it really needs to be done.

Im not saying something needs to be done, this site will be around for a long time. But if we want something more then just aarons news bits in GD then we should make alittle tweaking here and there. It wont hurt at all, and if it sucks then oh well its not like a changing our perspective back cant be done either.
Old 08/23/2010   #95
ForceStealer

ACF collapsed because the staff and members were completely insane. I don't deny that FFF sucks, but that isn't necessarily because of its subject matter.

And ACF is the only other FF7 site that has ever had the stuff we have, and now we have more than that site did.

Because any worthwhile suggestions are just thrown in the trashbin because it doesnt flow well with your ideas of what TLS should be.
No, its because we have been lazy and not actually acted on ideas proposed. Alex's memorable moments was the last thing we tried and it didn't go all that well because again, people (staff included) were too lazy to do a simple writeup.
Commentaries, writing competitions, art competitions are all viable suggestions that have been made and have fallen apart. Translations and audiobooks are things that have not done so but are currently in-process.

This latest push (which, by the way, does include increasing our coverage area) seems to have people motivated for the moment at least. Change might be needed, but the far more important change is participation, because we change our focus to every video game in history and it wouldn't matter if we didn't have a flow of content - in fact it would be that much harder to keep up.

I, like Mog, am not trying to shoot down ideas, honest. But I kinda resent the sentiment that staff have some fairytale vision of the site, wantonly stamping down anything that contradicts it. The only thing we have flat-out denied is a Spam Section, which does not count as a "worthwhile suggestion."
Changing our focus has been resisted, but I think it should be resisted a bit, the site's name is The Lifestream after all. And when sites like Chrono Compendium can do it, why be so quick to give up?
But again, this latest push does have us changing a little, expanding more into FF and more important, hopefully, being motivated.

hitoshura wrote: Don't belittle my peoples, bitch. We work hard and we do what we're told. And might possibly be Scottish.
ultima espio wrote: I'm not sure if it was a BOMB, it could have been MAKO, KING, BEST, or ORBS.
Thanked by 7:
Alex (08/23/2010), Celes Chere (08/23/2010), Literally Who? (08/23/2010), looneymoon (08/23/2010), Makoeyes987 (08/23/2010), Tennyo (08/23/2010), The Twilight Mexican (08/25/2010)
Old 08/23/2010   #96
Cat Rage Room

All I'm sayin' is that we I want our next move to be the classic FFs (and of course, FFVII) and seeing where that goes from there. The classic FFs have a huge potential; half of you guys alone never even played them!
Cat Rage Room is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 3:
Literally Who? (08/23/2010), Makoeyes987 (08/23/2010), The Twilight Mexican (08/25/2010)
Old 08/23/2010   #97
Strangelove

We should instead all work on this book for a completely-unrelated-to-Square game because it would make me happy
Literally Who? (08/23/2010), The Twilight Mexican (08/25/2010)
Old 08/23/2010   #98
Literally Who?

ACF collapsed because the staff and members were completely insane. I don't deny that FFF sucks, but that isn't necessarily because of its subject matter.
Maybe, but some of the top "insane" members are or were on tls staff i still say it only resulted in us being to damn bored with the site and that the only worth while activity for us came in the form of drama. Post counts were at an all time high for us when we had something new to moan about. Though its debatable due to the fact that also at that time there was absolutely nothing coming out of SE for the compilation.

No, its because we have been lazy and not actually acted on ideas proposed. Alex's memorable moments was the last thing we tried and it didn't go all that well because again, people (staff included) were too lazy to do a simple writeup.
Commentaries, writing competitions, art competitions are all viable suggestions that have been made and have fallen apart. Translations and audiobooks are things that have not done so but are currently in-process.
If the ideas fail to spark the interest of the very people who proposed the idea and were meant to write it. How could it spark the interest of the hypothetical future reader. Semantics i know, but if we cant even bring ourselves to do something then maybe its not worth doing in the first place. If an idea is good, then we immediatly do it because its just that awesome (see: omega and alex LP)

This latest push (which, by the way, does include increasing our coverage area) seems to have people motivated for the moment at least. Change might be needed, but the far more important change is participation, because we change our focus to every video game in history and it wouldn't matter if we didn't have a flow of content - in fact it would be that much harder to keep up.
Im not proposing every RPG in existance, just saying general SE is a good starting point, some of there classic PSx games are godly and really diamonds in the rough. Like vagrant story, xenogears, ect. There really awesome games, which imo could bring in alot of user activity here and i dont mean just new users but existing users here. But like said by mog, most of us probably havent played those either (which is a shame imo)

, like Mog, am not trying to shoot down ideas, honest. But I kinda resent the sentiment that staff have some fairytale vision of the site, wantonly stamping down anything that contradicts it. The only thing we have flat-out denied is a Spam Section, which does not count as a "worthwhile suggestion."
Im not saying spam was a worthwhile suggestion, im not really sure why your brining it up honestly i dont recall having brought it up myself o.O
And the sentiment comes from you guys shooting down anything that isnt FF, when there are much better games out there that are also classics.

Changing our focus has been resisted, but I think it should be resisted a bit, the site's name is The Lifestream after all. And when sites like Chrono Compendium can do it, why be so quick to give up?
But again, this latest push does have us changing a little, expanding more into FF and more important, hopefully, being motivated.
Chrono trigger is easily the best RPG ever made, fans yurn for a sequel to it all the time. IIRC its the number 1 voted series that fans want a sequel for (i believe gamespot had the poll? i dont really recall). When it comes to FF7 any fan with a brain cringes at the thought of Tetsuya touching this series again. Yeah, obviously i dont got a rebuttal here.
But the case is imo, Chrono compendium is a rarity, in that it didnt need to change its subject matter but atleast the staff and users there work there.

Im not disagreeing with you on that we are lazy, i kinda hinted at that when i mentioned how many times we talked over change at FCF and then never did it, then noted its outcome. I like this forum, despite my trolling ilike chatting with you guys. And i really dont want to have to join a new forum a few years down the road because we all got bored of this site too.

tl;dr your right, we need to stop being lazy, but maybe switchign to general SE coverage (especially of classics pleaaaase) would be really really neat.
Old 08/23/2010   #99
Alex

Interjection: ACF died for good because Summoner Yuna couldn't pay for it anymore after spending all of her money on Cloverfield tickets and merchandise.

Carry on
Old 08/23/2010   #100
Cat Rage Room

Like I said, our move should be something a little more baby stepish. That's why I suggested the older FFs as a good jumping off point; because if we can't handle that, we definitely can't handle all of SE. If we thrive at the one thing we actually set out to do, then we can branch out further.

I'm hip to your jive, gabe. Just give us some time. Baby steps, bro.
Thanked by:
Alex (08/23/2010)
Old 08/23/2010   #101
ForceStealer

Krelian wrote: Im not saying spam was a worthwhile suggestion, im not really sure why your brining it up honestly i dont recall having brought it up myself
You didn't, its just the only thing we flatly deny without discussion, therefore its the only such thing you could have been referring to. Because games outside of FF have NOT been flatly refused at all. I'm pretty sure Mog himself initiated the translation of Saga Frontier material.

Thanked by:
Old 08/23/2010   #102
Literally Who?

Kerr wrote: Interjection: ACF died for good because Summoner Yuna couldn't pay for it anymore after spending all of her money on Cloverfield tickets and merchandise.

Carry on
Yeah totally, thats why Cloverfield forums, The abes odysee/Exodus and other forums were all operational and active, as well as her portfolio site was functioning for nearly a year after the shut down.

She got tired of the bitching, and just claimed she couldnt afford it thats why she shot down me and edmans offers to buy the site. I guess she didnt want anyone else having the site too

Like I said, our move should be something a little more baby stepish. That's why I suggested the older FFs as a good jumping off point; because if we can't handle that, we definitely can't handle all of SE. If we thrive at the one thing we actually set out to do, then we can branch out further.

I'm hip to your jive, gabe. Just give us some time. Baby steps, bro.
Fair enough, i just really think we can do it if we just bare down and get to it. I mean alot of us here are pretty talented in our respective hobbies, me, scott , tenny and a few others are really great with photoshop. We have some excellent writers here too, and some really neat radical thought provoking users (aka aaron ). I just think we can really expand on the content here if we really get to it.

For instance X's thread here
http://thelifestream.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5451

Imagine applying though provoking , short and sweet articles like that for games other then just FF? Theres other great threads like that around here, and if we could broaden our scope even just slightly to cover a few more classics that arent just FF, could really seperate us from just being another FF7 site.

Though your right the FF Classics is a great step in the right direction, it would be great to have more of us here who have played those beastly games

edit:
You didn't, its just the only thing we flatly deny without discussion, therefore its the only such thing you could have been referring to. Because games outside of FF have NOT been flatly refused at all. I'm pretty sure Mog himself initiated the translation of Saga Frontier material.
I wasnt referencing spam at all, a while back i recall in a thread me mentioning something very close to what mog was saying in the first post, but instead of suggesting FF classics i said we should see what could come of covering new rpgs on the front page (at the time i was thinking FO:new vegas, ME2, iirc), which inspired a neat little convo but as i recall the answer was still ultimately "no" because its not FF7 thus my sentiments which you pointed out.
Ill look for the thread, iirc it was off topic discussion so it will be tough, but then again i dont post alot either so ill just skim through my posts.

Last edited by Literally Who?; 08/23/2010 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08/23/2010   #103
Cat Rage Room

Though your right the FF Classics is a great step in the right direction, it would be great to have more of us here who have played those beastly games
I am actually thinking of a sweet little project to get everyone on the same page with that.

STAY THE FUCK TUNED.
Thanked by:
Old 08/23/2010   #104
looneymoon

General/Older FF coverage is a step in the right direction. While there are many FF sites around, I don't know of any that are quite as comprehensive as this one. If eventually we get a similar amount of coverage as there is for the compilation, TLS would probably become the most comprehensive FF site on the net. Of course, FFI-VI (and possibly VIII-XIII + Tactics + Dissidia) is a lot of material to work with, so it's a good starting point if we're planning to branch out. It also stays within the FF comfort zone.

looneymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
ForceStealer (08/23/2010)
Old 08/24/2010   #105
Literally Who?

Well if anything i would be up with helping out on the FF8 front, i know my grammar isnt the best out there (blame texas education and english being my second language growing up ) but maybe someone could help clean up what i write?
Thanked by: