The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Compilation of Final Fantasy VII > Final Fantasy VII Remake

Final Fantasy VII Remake The remake of FFVII announced at E3 on June 15th, 2015 -- OUR WHOLE LIVES HAVE BEEN LEADING UP TO THIS MOMENT!!

Old 05/04/2018   #16
Hosagi

@Chip: David Bowie halloween wig... You got a reference for this as what I think of a halloween wig could have been normal attire for David Bowie haha. Then by original do you mean Playstation 1 original? Or any of his other incarnation originals?

@Donkey: I would say it's unlikely we get anything at E3, only because what is normally shown at E3 is the likes of trailers or sweeping landscapes in terms of Art. Based on what I saw disregarding all the recent news about CyberConnect or it being in "Developmental Hell", I would hazard to say they aren't in such a place at the moment that they have anything worth showing at an event like E3.
Considering we've already had the "it's in development" trailer and the "This is what gameplay could look like" trailers.
I hope I'm wrong and they do have more to show, but I do think it's unlikely...
Hosagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
The Twilight Mexican (05/04/2018)
Old 05/04/2018   #17
donkeyjack

Hosagi wrote: @Chip: David Bowie halloween wig... You got a reference for this as what I think of a halloween wig could have been normal attire for David Bowie haha. Then by original do you mean Playstation 1 original? Or any of his other incarnation originals?

@Donkey: I would say it's unlikely we get anything at E3, only because what is normally shown at E3 is the likes of trailers or sweeping landscapes in terms of Art. Based on what I saw disregarding all the recent news about CyberConnect or it being in "Developmental Hell", I would hazard to say they aren't in such a place at the moment that they have anything worth showing at an event like E3.
Considering we've already had the "it's in development" trailer and the "This is what gameplay could look like" trailers.
E3 2019 then?
donkeyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/04/2018   #18
Hosagi

donkeyjack wrote:
E3 2019 then?
Seems more likely.
Kingdom Hearts 3 will be out by then, which has been a long time focus of Nomura before wanting to delve into the remake. So I'd expect more from 2019 than 2018. If not at E3 next year then at Playstation Experience or Tokyo Game Show as both sit later in the year.
Thanked by:
Old 05/04/2018   #19
ChipNoir

Hosagi wrote: @Chip: David Bowie halloween wig... You got a reference for this as what I think of a halloween wig could have been normal attire for David Bowie haha. Then by original do you mean Playstation 1 original? Or any of his other incarnation originals?

The way Cloud was originally designed, his hair has two distinct "Sides". The right side has longer spikes, until you reach the "Horn" spike at the top, and then his hair becomes extremely cropped, with one part of his bangs haging down just a little past his eye.

In his Advent Children version, his hair has become a bit more uniform, and has spikes on both sides of his bangs that lead down almost to his chin. I can accept the change because obviously he's two years older and is a little different, so the style change portrays that.

But the remake has his hair just...all over the place, and it's lost that distinct assymetrical look that I associate so strongly with Cloud's identity in the remake.

It feels like someone at CC2 just looked at a picture of Cloud in AC and tried to work backwards from that to what that kind of hair style would look like on a younger, wilder looking Cloud, and it looks...wrong.

ChipNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05/04/2018   #20
Hosagi

replying on both now to cover both bases!

I've been struggling to recall the hair annoyingly, but found discussions I had on Twitter just after the event with a few people and what I said then was:

"The Hair is a lot lighter in colour and weight now. The hair is still silly and outlandish, but looks a lot more natural. The detail they've put into it is really impressive as well (showed up close stills)."

in addition to that, since posting this again, I've gone back to look at the trailers and previous artwork we had seen at those two large bangs that he has on either side of his head seem strange to me now. They never used to, but certainly do now. So I can't help but wonder if they have been removed, I've been saying he looks very similar to his CC design and going back to look at that those "clumps of hair" aren't prominent in that design.
Thanked by 2:
The Twilight Mexican (05/04/2018), X-SOLDIER (05/04/2018)
Old 05/04/2018   #21
Random Nobody

...What does "womanly" actually mean in this context. and why was jessie's figure such a major point of discussion
Random Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/04/2018   #22
ChipNoir

Random Nobody wrote: ...What does "womanly" actually mean in this context. and why was jessie's figure such a major point of discussion
Because besides Tifa, and until Aerith comes onto the scene probably hours later given the extended scale, she's going to be the only other female character in the cast. So they kinda have to up her curb appeal, as painfully sexist as that is to think about.

If they're making the characters this important, it kinda feels like maybe part one really WILL be just up till the end of Midgar, so they need to flesh out the cast by bringing Avalanche up front and center to make up for the absence of Red, Yuffie, Cait, Vincent, and Cid.
Thanked by 2:
leadmyskeptic (05/04/2018), The Twilight Mexican (05/04/2018)
Old 05/04/2018   #23
Random Nobody

ChipNoir wrote:
Because besides Tifa, and until Aerith comes onto the scene probably hours later given the extended scale, she's going to be the only other female character in the cast. So they kinda have to up her curb appeal, as painfully sexist as that is to think about.
I mean, I don't mean "why" in general, because I already know why. I mean in this context, since "womanly" can mean anything from, like, stately and graceful to simply responsible and adult. Or it could be the the anna mae and comic books definition with the tiddies OUT, ass FLYING, doublecheeked up on a Thursday afternoon and a gelatinous spine.
Old 05/04/2018   #24
ChipNoir

Random Nobody wrote:
ChipNoir wrote:
I mean, I don't mean "why" in general, because I already know why. I mean in this context, since "womanly" can mean anything from, like, stately and graceful to simply responsible and adult. Or it could be the the anna mae and comic books definition with the tiddies OUT, ass FLYING, doublecheeked up on a Thursday afternoon and a gelatinous spine.
Jessie kinda comes off as a tomboy in her art, and even the remake leaves her a little bit in that regard last we saw her. I could see them trying to amplify her...uh...assets. She DOES have to compete with Tifa after all.

Tragic, but that's media for you.
Thanked by:
X-SOLDIER (05/04/2018)
Old 05/04/2018   #25
ForceStealer

I mean I was happy with the way she looked in the PSX trailer, and the 30th Anniversary concept art seemed to mirror that. So I hope she just looks like that.

hitoshura wrote: Don't belittle my peoples, bitch. We work hard and we do what we're told. And might possibly be Scottish.
ultima espio wrote: I'm not sure if it was a BOMB, it could have been MAKO, KING, BEST, or ORBS.
ForceStealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 4:
Alex Strife (05/06/2018), Channy (05/09/2018), Teioh (05/04/2018), The Twilight Mexican (05/04/2018)
Old 05/04/2018   #26
Hosagi

She remains the same at the core as what we see in the PSX trailer, all three of them do (wedge looks like he hasnt had any changes), but they look a lot more polished.
She has deep eyes, a slightly gloss to her lips and was just made genuinely attractive, there's nothing over the top or fanservice-esc about the design.

There is love and individuality that has been put into the designs, except for Wedge who looks like he did in the PSX trailer but took a few ugly bumps through the Kingdom Hearts Universe on his way to 2018.
Thanked by 2:
Channy (05/09/2018), The Twilight Mexican (05/04/2018)
Old 05/04/2018   #27
leadmyskeptic

I think all of this, given the challenge of updating a classic game with modern graphics etc, makes perfect sense. Because (and I'm thinking of this through the lens of having first played this as children) Jessie is the first female character you meet, the first one you're given 'flirtation' options with (LOOK AT THE MONITOR, CLOUD!!), and so the first one you're likely to develop a bit of a crush on. I remember getting to the Sector 7 Pillar that first time, and the whole situation was obviously tragic, but that loss of Jessie was what first really hit me in the gut, it was like a mini-Aeris event...and that's given very little screen-time, dialogue, and a quickly produced design. With all of those aspects pumped up a little bit, I could see the potential for drama really being taken advantage of.

Sorry, this is a poorly organized post lol. But anyway yeah, so upping the 'womanly' aspects of Jessie (while still keeping her a Tomboy) ups the drama there, Biggs' whole 'wannabe commando' aspect seems heightened without having to actually change too much (bandana, bandolier, 'look-I-can-grow-a-beard-too' facial hair) other than making his appearance a little more serious...these are terrorists, after all, even if they're a bit bumbling and idealistic. Wedge, as has been pointed out by Hosagi, is the exception. And honestly, I think that holds true even for the OG. Wedge is clearly a comic-relief character, but he sticks out, with his design containing the clearest and most heinous examples of "drawing shit on a character cos it seems fun" without thinking at all of how it applies/fits into the universe. Not really sure what they can even do about that, without making him look significantly different from his original incarnation. Now that I think about it, even his motivations i.e. fighting for the planet are less articulated than the others, I mostly remember his line about Tifa's cooking. In any case, it's something to think about.
leadmyskeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 5:
Alex Strife (05/06/2018), Obsidian Fire (05/07/2018), Teioh (05/04/2018), The Twilight Mexican (05/04/2018), X-SOLDIER (05/04/2018)
Old 05/04/2018   #28
Random Nobody

Hosagi wrote:
There is love and individuality that has been put into the designs, except for Wedge who looks like he did in the PSX trailer but took a few ugly bumps through the Kingdom Hearts Universe on his way to 2018.
Was Wedge really that bad, tho. He did look strange at PSX, but..............

they all sort of did, honestly. Cloud looked like a spaghetti demon and they all looked like some variation of bobblehead.
Thanked by:
Old 05/04/2018   #29
donkeyjack

So, do you guys think they have designs for Tifa, Aerith and Red XIII?
donkeyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/04/2018   #30
X-SOLDIER

Unquestionably.

Whether those designs are 100% final is anyone's guess.

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

Shademp – on the subject of my seemingly boundless optimism wrote: After Ungoliant had sucked the light from the trees Telperion and Laurelin, she found that there was a third tree but whose light was too potent and immortal for her to absorb. Thusly, Ungoliant left Valinor in tears for she could not absorb the light of the tree named X-SOLDIER.

#TotzCanon

~ | G+ | Facebook | Tumblr | Twitter | DA | TLS | FFOF | FF | SCL | KC | CC | ~
X-SOLDIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 4:
Alex Strife (05/06/2018), Minato (05/07/2018), Obsidian Fire (05/07/2018), The Twilight Mexican (05/05/2018)