The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Final Fantasy > Sub-Final Fantasy > Final Fantasy Tactics

Final Fantasy Tactics All of the Final Fantasy-based tactical role-playing games.

Old 09/28/2010   #1
Mr. Ite
Default FFT Ending (spoilers, obviously)

What the hell people! I just finished Final Fantasy Tactics, ready to call it my favourite game of all time...

But that probably had the least satisfying ending I've ever seen. That game was way too good to have such a weak ending. Some fortune cookie wisdom and a short FMV of Ramza riding off into the sunset?

The ending to FF1 for the NES was longer than that. And had a more balanced plot/finale than FFT.

What happened to Agrias, Mustadio, Malak, Orlandu, Worker 8, Reis, Beowulf, Cloud, and all of your other party members? Are we really supposed to accept that they were all incinerated on their way out of Murond?

And regarding secret/dead characters: it wouldn't have been that hard to have an optional short scene programmed for each main character -- they did it in FF6 five years earlier. I don't care about long load times, FF9 had insane load times but maybe the best ending of the series so far.

It feels like there were so many loose ends...

Mr. Ite is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Kermitu Kleric Katie (04/13/2013)
Old 09/28/2010   #2
Cat Rage Room

The ending is less about the individual characters on you team and more about the various characters Ramza encounters, the conspiracy of the Church, and Delita's climb to the top.

The story pretty much ties everything up as it goes along. There really aren't any loose ends left. What happened to Ramza and Alma I guess seems to be under interpretation, but it's irrelevant from a historical standpoint, which the game seems to be all about.
Cat Rage Room is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 6:
ForceStealer (09/28/2010), Kermitu Kleric Katie (04/13/2013), looneymoon (09/28/2010), SirVival (02/05/2014), The Twilight Mexican (09/28/2010), Trainer Red (09/29/2010)
Old 09/28/2010   #3
Sigbru

There's a post-credit scene with Delita, in case you missed that

The ending leaves ambiguous if the characters lived or died at the end. I think people are still discussing about it

In the PSP version I think they add abit of the scenes for some characters, but not much. The guest characters being shoved aside after they join is really annoying
Sigbru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/28/2010   #4
ForceStealer

Yeah, the whole point is that what the heroes accomplished was forgotten covered up by history. If they did live, they would have had to go into hiding as they probably would been hunted down.

Honestly, it certainly seems to me they all died. I really hope not, and I like to think Ramza and Alma at the end are the real thing...but I'm not really sure how they could have lived.

hitoshura wrote: Don't belittle my peoples, bitch. We work hard and we do what we're told. And might possibly be Scottish.
ultima espio wrote: I'm not sure if it was a BOMB, it could have been MAKO, KING, BEST, or ORBS.
ForceStealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/28/2010   #5
Cat Rage Room

RPG magic, I guess. I figured it could go either way, honestly because the metaphysics of FFT's setting are so vague that I really can't think of an argument of why they couldn't.
Thanked by 2:
Kermitu Kleric Katie (04/13/2013), The Twilight Mexican (09/28/2010)
Old 09/28/2010   #6
ForceStealer

I know...but Tactics really didn't have a whole lot of fantastical craziness as far as death was concerned (with the possible exception of how many times you beat the shit out of Wiegraf). A lot of people freakin died.

hitoshura wrote: Don't belittle my peoples, bitch. We work hard and we do what we're told. And might possibly be Scottish.
ultima espio wrote: I'm not sure if it was a BOMB, it could have been MAKO, KING, BEST, or ORBS.
Thanked by 4:
Cat Rage Room (09/28/2010), Kermitu Kleric Katie (04/13/2013), Mr. Ite (09/28/2010), The Mad King (09/28/2010)
Old 09/28/2010   #7
Cat Rage Room

I guess that's the beauty of ambiguity.

WHO FRIGGIN' KNOWS
Old 09/28/2010   #8
Sigbru

I guess they just teleported. Worked for all most bosses
Thanked by 2:
Kermitu Kleric Katie (04/13/2013), The Twilight Mexican (09/28/2010)
Old 09/28/2010   #9
Makoeyes987

War of the Lions.

Play it. Be satisfied.
Makoeyes987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 3:
Alex Strife (09/28/2010), ForceStealer (09/28/2010), Kermitu Kleric Katie (04/13/2013)
Old 09/28/2010   #10
Ryushikaze

They lived. Also, agreed with Mako.
I need to play more of WoL, damnit.
Thanked by:
Old 09/29/2010   #11
The Twilight Mexican

ForceStealer wrote: I know...but Tactics really didn't have a whole lot of fantastical craziness as far as death was concerned (with the possible exception of how many times you beat the shit out of Wiegraf). A lot of people freakin died.

Malak was revived by the Scorpio Zodiac Stone, though, so Tactics does have a bit of fantastical craziness there with death.

As well, the Lucavi had teleportation abilities, so -- given that Ramza and his team still had 12 of the 13 Zodiac Stones when Altima detonated -- it's not hard to imagine that the stones may have reacted to the "Oh shit" feeling everybody on that airship must have felt at the moment of Altima's death, and teleported them out of Murond.

Like Mog said, there's really no reason to believe they couldn't have survived given what we know of the metaphysics.

For that matter, I've never understood this debate about the ending in the first place. It's one thing to assume that Orlan could have been imagining what is obviously Ramza and Alma's sprites, but it's quite another to assume that we are all having a collective hallucination as we watch the two of them stroll through the wilderness, water their chocobos, and ride off into the sunset.

Smooth Criminal wrote: War of the Lions.

Play it. Be satisfied.
I don't remember anything featuring the other characters in the ending to War of the Lions. Someone clarify what Mako means, please?
Thanked by:
Old 09/29/2010   #12
ForceStealer

Yeah I don't remember that either, I was just thanking the sentiment as War of the Lions is THE standard on how to port/rerelease a game.

That's true about the stones, I had forgotten about that. I remember being surprised that they didn't do more throughout the game, given how many Ramza had. As for the ending, yeah, and I have frankly always told myself they lived, but I was willing to chalk that up to denial. It wouldn't be the first time in media we see a character at peace after they have died. Gladiator is the first example that's coming to mind, though I know that makes it more obvious that he's dead. And FF7 ends with Aeris' face and all.

But yeah, I'd be more than happy to accept that they lived Its already a sad enough ending given how Ramza gets literally zero credit for all he's done. (and I know he wouldn't want any, but its still sad)

Thanked by 2:
Kermitu Kleric Katie (04/13/2013), The Twilight Mexican (09/29/2010)
Old 09/29/2010   #13
Sigbru

Well SOMEONE must have lived. How would Olan Orran know so many details of what happened otherwise?

Last edited by Sigbru; 09/29/2010 at 06:49 AM.
Old 10/05/2010   #14
Mr. Ite

Would it have been so hard to have a brief scene where Ramza is being blasted along, but he pulls out a Zodiac stone and gets consumed by the light?

I don't know, I put so much goddamn time into that game. I know the journey is the worthier part, but man. FFVI's ending ruled.

Also, why are we having two discussions about this?
Mr. Ite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2010   #15
ForceStealer

Honestly its not any clearer than FF7's ending was with regard to to the welfare of the characters.

Thanked by:
Mr. Ite (11/03/2016)