The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Topical > Technology

Technology Discuss and welcome your new computer overlords.

Old 06/22/2018   #16
NERV Agent

Just when I thought I was getting the hang of things, I run into quite a confounding dilemma: I can't even get my USB headset to work with this.

This is what I have:

http://gamersdigital.com/products/ul...aming-headset/

This is a really nice headset and even vibrates in response to explosions and stuff in games and movies. It works fine in Windows 7, but I can't get it to work in Ubuntu Linux!

I can click "USB Audio Device" all I want, and nothing happens!

I want an immersive gaming and movie experience with this, and I don't wanna go back to Windows.

Is there a way to install drivers for this via Wine or Winetricks? Or are there already some Linux drivers that can get this to work?

UPDATE: Ugh, GOD! This is what I mean by searching Google and trying things by brute force for hours (screaming, cussing, and yelling at computer may be optional).

So I installed something called PulseAudio Volume Control, and still no sound. Then I thought I could temporarily disable speakers. BIG MISTAKE! PulseAudio Volume Control replaces my speakers with "Dummy Audio" or something, the sound on my system became completely inoperable and it wouldn't let me revert back.

Then I searched YouTube, and some person showed something (couldn't hear them, just had to watch the screen and figure out what was going on) about going to Software & Updates --> Additional Drivers, scrolling down to "Intel Corporation: Unknown". There were 2 options, "Use HDA driver blah blah blah audio something dah dah dah", and "Do not use this device".

The YT vid showed to select "Do not use this device" and restart, and this was supposed to work. But it did nothing.

Then I searched Google and found some random command line that supposedly resets everything:

sudo aptitude --purge reinstall linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils linux-image-`uname -r` linux-ubuntu-modules-`uname -r` libasound2

Still nothing.

So I went back to "Additional Drivers" and re-enabled "Use HDA driver yo momma audio so bad she broke your speakers" or something, restarted, and the speakers AND headphones work now. You just have to select it from the sound settings, because it won't automatically switch the sound to headphones like in Windows.

I think I solved my problem, but who knows what will get screwed up tomorrow.

Last edited by NERV Agent; 06/22/2018 at 11:47 AM.
NERV Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Literally Who? (06/24/2018)
Old 06/22/2018   #17
Literally Who?

Like no offense but did you do any research at all before making the purchase? Or did you just assume Linux would be a magical fairyland where everything just worked and Murca and the Win10 Boogeyman wont be able to know what Cartoon you just binge watched for 10 hours straight?

Or like install Ubuntu or Arch on a thumbdrive and take it for a test drive etc beforehand?
Like don't get me wrong I like Linux myself and load up Arch every now and then, but it's not like compatibility issues and other head aches aren't very well documented issues with OS.

Your working with something that has a very small market share and is basically propped up by dedicated enthusiasts here. Just jumping into a kind of bunk daily driver without really reasonably researching it before hand, and due to Windows boogeymen of all things, is pretty silly.

It's obvious your missing a ton of the QoL of Windows lol. The privacy thing is no big deal and completely removing and blocking the telemetry applications is beyond trivial. Unless your doing legitimately illegal things Windows wont bite you in the ass. And if you are doing Illegal things I definitely don't want to help you.

https://github.com/Nummer/Destroy-Windows-10-Spying

https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/
Literally Who? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/22/2018   #18
Kionae

I think I solved my problem, but who knows what will get screwed up tomorrow.
Yeah... you may want to get used to that. That's pretty much how Linux is about everything. Bear in mind here... Linux simply isn't Windows. It's not going to work like Windows, it's not going to have the same support as Windows, and it's not going to work with every peripheral and accessory you purchased when you were using Windows.

That's not to say it's an awful OS, but there IS a learning curve. A pretty steep one in some cases. So yeah... there's a lot of frustration involved in learning to use it.

Awards 'n Stuffs

Least Likely to Win an Award - 2nd Place
Kionae is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 3:
Airling (06/22/2018), Literally Who? (06/22/2018), NERV Agent (07/28/2018)
Old 06/23/2018   #19
Literally Who?

I really want to apologize for my last post here. I probably shouldn't be allowed to post before I have my coffee lol.

I hope my shit attitude hasn't deterred you from looking to seek out help or rant about Linux here in the future As abrasive as I can be I'm still interested in seeing how your Linux journey develops.

Heres hoping you don't run into many issues like that headphone one again. That one sounds like such a headache lol.
Old 06/24/2018   #20
NERV Agent

It's not as much as the corporate spying thing that bothers me with Windows, but the planned obsolescence scam.

Even before my accidental purchase of a Windows 10 laptop that had the motherboard wired to block installation of previous Windows version, I had a laptop with Windows Vista that ran extremely slow. I did a dual boot with Windows XP, and that previously slow computer ran blazing fast. The difference was night and day,

But unfortunately, if I don't want to get hacked I need the latest security updates, and that's where I was pretty much forced into using Windows 7. I have a Windows 7 PC with hardware that is about twice as powerful than my previous Windows XP computer, and it runs so badly, with screen tearing in every video I watch and every game I play. I wanted to install XP on it so I can do business stuff in 7, and gaming and media stuff in XP, but there were no XP drivers for any of the hardware inside. I don't think that's a coincidence; that's planned obsolescence.

The trend I keep seeing is that with each new Windows version, it requires even more powerful (expensive) hardware (despite the BS "system requirements" they list on the product description), and nowadays computers are rigged to block installations of previous, more efficient versions of Windows.

I really don't want to shell out hundreds of dollars every time a new version is declared "obsolete" followed by halting of security updates, forcing me to switch to the newest Windows and having to buy a new PC with hardware that can handle the new Windows. I mean, I got student loans and rent to pay.

Bah, Linux is a pain in the ass, but I'll get used to it like dealing with my painfully difficult ROM hacking projects. If anything, learning Linux is one more thing I can put on my resume.

Anyway, just finished play Streets of Rage 3 via Gens in Linux with my sweet headphones, and the experience is starting to seem pretty "okay" so far.
Literally Who? (06/24/2018)
Old 06/24/2018   #21
Literally Who?

NERV Agent wrote: It's not as much as the corporate spying thing that bothers me with Windows, but the planned obsolescence scam.

Even before my accidental purchase of a Windows 10 laptop that had the motherboard wired to block installation of previous Windows version, I had a laptop with Windows Vista that ran extremely slow. I did a dual boot with Windows XP, and that previously slow computer ran blazing fast. The difference was night and day,

I don't think I can agree with that being planned obsolescence though. I think that's just more a case of Vista just being hot garbage and MS over reaching. Vista was horribly optimized and IIRC wasn't corrected until a few service packs in, and even then. Ech.

On top of that during that time non enthusiast PC's, especially Windows laptops , were also pretty terrible. Toss on an OS that has Aero and a boat load of taxing transparency affects, transition animations for literally every action on top of poorly optimized back end that's sitting on top of poor computer specs? Yeah your going to have a bad time, every one did and that's why Vista is largely considered one of the worst performing OS's ever.

But that's not planned obsolescence. That's just a bad OS, if it was then 7 , 8, 8.1 and 10 would have been trash in the performance department too. Yes they tax a pc harder than XP did, but that's to be expected when looking at growing and scaling OS's that match contemporary hardware over the span of a decade.

7 was excellent, and even spite of it's terrible UI and mobile slant 8 still performed very well a few months in. 8.1 (which should just be called 9 tbh) also didn't have the same issues as Vista either.

But unfortunately, if I don't want to get hacked I need the latest security updates, and that's where I was pretty much forced into using Windows 7. I have a Windows 7 PC with hardware that is about twice as powerful than my previous Windows XP computer, and it runs so badly, with screen tearing in every video I watch and every game I play. I wanted to install XP on it so I can do business stuff in 7, and gaming and media stuff in XP, but there were no XP drivers for any of the hardware inside. I don't think that's a coincidence; that's planned obsolescence.
The OS wont cause that unless it's sitting on top of bad specs. I'm sorry but that's not the OS's fault that your probably sitting on a celeron from the mid/late 2000's and integrated graphics lol. I mean from your last posts here I get the feeling the "games" you wanted to play are older emulated games?

For one some emulators are actually pretty taxing on older CPU's , especially stuff like Higan. So if you were running Vista+ on a like early Pentium era Celeron on a 32bit machine. Like yeah, your going to a bottleneck.

Also XP is 17 years old. That's not planned obsolescence. It's just really really old.

Out of curiosity do you still have the specs for that set up? Really interested to see at what point stuff like VLC or other media players just start giving up lol.

And again a platform no longer supporting old out dated software isn't planned obsolescence. I mean even STEAM doesn't support XP and 7 anymore. Time passing isn't a scam.

The trend I keep seeing is that with each new Windows version, it requires even more powerful (expensive) hardware (despite the BS "system requirements" they list on the product description), and nowadays computers are rigged to block installations of previous, more efficient versions of Windows.

lol that's just progress . You can't expect stuff like DX11/12 to work on hardware that was designed around DX8 or like when the Xbox 360 was new. And even then they still try really really hard to get older hardware to still work in some cases.

New hardware gets made, developments for new features are built to take into account that new hardware.

Also sorry but these requirements

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...specifications

Are hardly expensive to achieve. For comparison, Android phones had 1ghz cpu's... In 2016. Phones, and im not talking the flagship models. I mean like the boost mobile ones lol, most flagships were pushing 2 at that time iirc.

Not to mention , can you even get a CPU on a pc these days with less than 3 ghz? lol

Ram - 1gb. 16gb ram has been the baseline "enthusiast" level amount of ram for awhile now. I think even the crap you can get at a Walmart atleast has 8 now. Again 1gb of ram is not exactly expensive, and im pretty sure the least amount you can buy for years now is like 4gb per ram stick.

Again not the OS's fault that you might have a PC that considers 1gb ram to be a lot. As a comparison point Chrome. My browser. Easily can take up 6gb if I let it.

HDD Space - 16gb. I think I had a 100gb HDD in like 2005 lol I think even the launch PS3 with the least amount of hard drive space had more than that.

Display 800x600. Do I have to compare this to phones again? lol

Sorry man, but that point of yours is really really off base and I think might be why you think Windows is bad. I don't know what PC specs you have but from what you describe it seems like you have this idea that contemporary specs are way further behind then they actually are , or like had a really bad PC or something that's skewing your perspective on this.

I mean craptops from walmart work fine on win 10 lol. Inb4, "but Xp would run faster on the same craptop" , yes really old stuff would run decent on new hardware lol. I'm pretty sure XP runs fine on a Raspberry Pi, but again that's not planned obsolescence. Planned Obsolescence is like Apple purposefully making shit batteries that slow down right around the time the next model comes out lol.

I really don't want to shell out hundreds of dollars every time a new version is declared "obsolete" followed by halting of security updates, forcing me to switch to the newest Windows and having to buy a new PC with hardware that can handle the new Windows. I mean, I got student loans and rent to pay.

Except you don't have to buy a new PC every time? Again your last laptop not being able to run Win vista/7 is more a case of you having a bad laptop than Win7 being bad. And even then Win7 extended support is still going out till 2020 so...

Bah, Linux is a pain in the ass, but I'll get used to it like dealing with my painfully difficult ROM hacking projects. If anything, learning Linux is one more thing I can put on my resume.
Why not get a Raspberry Pi? They are pretty cheap, robust and do a bunch of stuff in addition to being great little emulator boxes up to around the N64 era.

They are also really good for setting up a wifi-side adblocker called Pihole, I have my Raspberries (I have 2) set up and hooked up to my tv for being a streaming/media box, on the fly Emulator station and it prevents all of my devices in my home from headbutting with Youtube ads etc , and it's the size of like a deck of cards

https://www.raspberrypi.org/

the Adblocker

https://pi-hole.net/

The Emulation set up

https://retropie.org.uk/

Also if you wanna shell out for more than the base price (around 30$) you can get custom prebuilt ones for emulating as well that come with controllers and have neat retro cases

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J4HTOS8..._t1_B01FTAKQYU

Over all imo it might be a good solution for your linux-emulation woes.

Here's a video on how to set one up, it's pretty easy though. You can also see how neat and snappy the menu is

YouTube Video

It is 2 years old now though , so I'm sure there are probably more up to date guides and maybe even versions.

Here's a review from a year ago that gives you a good idea of how it runs too. Skip to 3 minutes to skip the intro fluff.

YouTube Video

Last edited by Literally Who?; 06/24/2018 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06/24/2018   #22
Cthulhu

Windows has had a err, let's say, tumultuous history. I like to think Microsoft (and by extension Windows) is finally on the right track with Satya Nadella at the helm (instead of Ballmer); Windows 10 is just good / doesn't get in your way, they initially announced it'd be an "evergreen" OS, e.g. it'd be the final version of Windows (but that's probably only a matter of time, lolol), and they finally got rid of all the legacy from IE by starting a new browser (Edge), etc.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
Literally Who? (06/24/2018), NERV Agent (07/28/2018)
Old 06/25/2018   #23
NERV Agent

Literally Who? wrote: Out of curiosity do you still have the specs for that set up? Really interested to see at what point stuff like VLC or other media players just start giving up lol.
It's been awhile, but let me recount some of the PCs I've had off the top of my head.

I had a Dell computer with a Pentium 3 550 MHz CPU, 128 MB of RAM, and a Voodoo 3 3500 video card. Had Windows 98SE then upgraded to Windows XP. Used to to play PSX emulators, with good results. Thing lasted 7+ years.

Computers I've had after that had dual core processors at 1.8 GHz to 2 GHz, 1 GB to 2 GB of RAM, and an NVIDIA GPU that I can't recall off the top of my head (the Vista one that I installed XP on was 1.8 Ghz and 1 GB of RAM). Used them to play PSX and N64 emulators with good results. Lasted 7+ years. Oh, and each computer cost me ~$800 - $900.

Current Windows 7 CyberPower PC I had to buy to keep getting security updates has an Intel Core i7 running at 2.8 GHz with Turbo Boost to 3.8 Ghz, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, and an NVIDIA GPU that I can't recall, but I am sure has more CUDA cores and higher clock speed than a GeForce 9800M, and cost me ~$1300. I mainly play PSX games on this thing, and some old emulator ROMS. Slow as hell and screen tearing everywhere, even on YouTube. And even on NES games. Yes, I already turned off Aero and all that crap, and it's still terrible. Right now the motherboard is acting up and on the verge of dying, hence why I needed to buy a new computer.

Oh, and I've only had it for 4 years.

I do the math, I spend more money on a new Windows machine that doesn't even last as long as my previous machines, and take into account the poor performance. Yeah, I'm not made of money, and I've had enough of Windows.

Also, one of my past times is ROM hacking, which I doubt is possible on a Raspberry Pi. Cuz I gotta use hex editors, tile editors, disassemblers, tracers, debuggers, and all that. I have a history of churning out PSX ROM hacks under a different alias. Recently, I've been learning the basics of editing the compressed graphics in the PSX version of our favorite game, Final Fantasy VII.

Anyway, back on topic, it seemed that I almost had PCSX2 up and running, but it broke and I got this error:

Code:
ALSA lib pcm.c:7963:(snd_pcm_recover) underrun occurred
I already searched Google and can't find any answer to this (I've been doing that a lot lately).

Any help?

UPDATE:

Okay, I got to boot up to the PS2 BIOS screen by selecting "Boot CDVD (Full)", but now I am stuck at a "select language" screen. It says press "X" for the US BIOS, and press "O" for the Japanese BIOS. Neither work, but it definitely detects my gamepad and I had it configured.

Last edited by NERV Agent; 06/25/2018 at 09:15 AM.
Thanked by:
Literally Who? (06/25/2018)
Old 06/25/2018   #24
Literally Who?

Just hack the roms on your PC and play the finished file on your Raspberry, retropi plays IPS Patched rom files very well and the emulation for PS1 on the current Pi model is excellent. It definitely wont do PS2 though.

I had a Dell computer with a Pentium 3 550 MHz CPU, 128 MB of RAM, and a Voodoo 3 3500 video card. Had Windows 98SE then upgraded to Windows XP. Used to to play PSX emulators, with good results. Thing lasted 7+ years.

lol wow. Yeah that definitely wont run Vista haha. IIRC that would have been like a Katmai
processor released in 1998/99?

Current Windows 7 CyberPower PC I had to buy to keep getting security updates has an Intel Core i7 running at 2.8 GHz with Turbo Boost to 3.8 Ghz, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, and an NVIDIA GPU that I can't recall, but I am sure has more CUDA cores and higher clock speed than a GeForce 9800M, and cost me ~$1300

I can see why this is having crap performance. That i7 is being bottle necked by basically... everything else. And without knowing what era of i7 it is , it could also be a bottleneck (i.e. some early gen i7's are less powerful than even i3's from today).

I mean that GPU is from 2008 and it's main selling point is that it can do HD video, Not video games... just Video. And if the CPU is also from 2008/2009 that would mean it's a first gen, probably Lynnfield considering its base ghz.

Furthermore that ram was low even back then , and assuming this is a laptop that 4gb would mean it's likely 32bit aswell. Which while fine then is pretty not great even like 5 years ago. Especially with likely very slow ram speed and so little of it I'd be shocked if that PC could run chrome.

It sucks that you paid a high price tag for a prebuilt, but you got ridiculously ripped off if you bought that PC 4 years ago. I'm really not kidding that the CPU and GPU are a decade old.

Windows machines are pretty junky, it has the same issue Android does. Tons of companies can make a pc and cut corners left and right still sell it a premium. The craptop isle and basically every prebuilt PC website is a testament to that.

But at the same time it's not hard to google the names of hardware before buying in. I really sympathize with your issues with Windows. I'd be frustrated if I paid 1300$ for a decade old PC too. But it's pretty clear that you kinda don't understand PC specs and are just throwing money at the problem thinking you wont get ripped off or something.

I write this next part out of concern and I'm really not trying to patronize you, but it seems like this latest Linux PC you got was rather recent. Mind if I ask what specs and the price you paid was? I just want to make sure you didn't run into the same kind of "deal" Cyberpower gave you 4 years ago =/
Old 07/27/2018   #25
NERV Agent

Phew, it's been like a month, but I finally got it up and working. My final "trial by fire" to see if I finally got the gist of this was to play everyone's favorite game, Final Fantasy VII, in ePSXe through WINE, while running PSX Emulation Cheater through WINE, and recording with OBS. The results were far better than on my previous Windows 7 machine.

At this point I've come to the conclusion that "if it isn't Debian, it isn't worth my time" since installing software that isn't in a neat Debian package is so time consuming and frustrating. It isn't Debian, I'll use the Windows version through WINE. If WINE fails, I'll load it up in my Windows XP x64 VirtualBox.

For example, the Linux version of ePSXe doesn't come in a Debian package, and is a hot mess to install. And even when I did install it, it would crash and never let me even play the game. So I pretty much just avoid anything that isn't in a Debian package since it will probably fail because it's missing "library/program A" which is dependent on "library/program B" which is dependent on "library/program A" (again) and I just wind up going around in circles. Even when everything is installed it probably doesn't even work right. If program installations were all Debian packages like how Windows installations are all ".exe" or ".msi" files that conveniently install after double clicking, Linux wouldn't be so overwhelming, and maybe more people would switch over (and screw over Microsoft).

Literally Who? wrote: Just hack the roms on your PC and play the finished file on your Raspberry, retropi plays IPS Patched rom files very well and the emulation for PS1 on the current Pi model is excellent. It definitely wont do PS2 though.

lol wow. Yeah that definitely wont run Vista haha. IIRC that would have been like a Katmai
processor released in 1998/99?

Current Windows 7 CyberPower PC I had to buy to keep getting security updates has an Intel Core i7 running at 2.8 GHz with Turbo Boost to 3.8 Ghz, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, and an NVIDIA GPU that I can't recall, but I am sure has more CUDA cores and higher clock speed than a GeForce 9800M, and cost me ~$1300

I can see why this is having crap performance. That i7 is being bottle necked by basically... everything else. And without knowing what era of i7 it is , it could also be a bottleneck (i.e. some early gen i7's are less powerful than even i3's from today).

I mean that GPU is from 2008 and it's main selling point is that it can do HD video, Not video games... just Video. And if the CPU is also from 2008/2009 that would mean it's a first gen, probably Lynnfield considering its base ghz.

Furthermore that ram was low even back then , and assuming this is a laptop that 4gb would mean it's likely 32bit aswell. Which while fine then is pretty not great even like 5 years ago. Especially with likely very slow ram speed and so little of it I'd be shocked if that PC could run chrome.

It sucks that you paid a high price tag for a prebuilt, but you got ridiculously ripped off if you bought that PC 4 years ago. I'm really not kidding that the CPU and GPU are a decade old.

Windows machines are pretty junky, it has the same issue Android does. Tons of companies can make a pc and cut corners left and right still sell it a premium. The craptop isle and basically every prebuilt PC website is a testament to that.

But at the same time it's not hard to google the names of hardware before buying in. I really sympathize with your issues with Windows. I'd be frustrated if I paid 1300$ for a decade old PC too. But it's pretty clear that you kinda don't understand PC specs and are just throwing money at the problem thinking you wont get ripped off or something.

I write this next part out of concern and I'm really not trying to patronize you, but it seems like this latest Linux PC you got was rather recent. Mind if I ask what specs and the price you paid was? I just want to make sure you didn't run into the same kind of "deal" Cyberpower gave you 4 years ago =/
Actually, the specs on my current Windows 7 Cyberpower PC laptop were pretty good--except for the RAM. I figure, I had 2 GB of RAM for XP and ran PSX and N64 emulators just fine, so 4 GB of RAM should good for Windows 7, right? Wrong.

My CyberPower PC laptop has 2 GPUs: one is an Intel HD Graphics 4600, the other is an NVIDIA GeForce 840M. To use the NVIDIA 3D enhancement, you need to specify the program in the NVIDIA Control Panel. Even with Vertical Sync enabled in the NVIDIA Control Panel, I still get screen tearing the likes that I have never seen before. I would be able to run PS2 and Dreamcast emulators on this thing, but the RAM is the main issue. I see no point in upgrading the RAM, since this motherboard is already acting up and I expect it to expire next year.

This is the Dell laptop I got, except I changed the order to have an Intel Core i7-7700HQ (Quad Core 2.80GHz, 3.80GHz Turbo), Ubuntu Linux 16.04 LTS (obviously), 16 GB Dual channel DDR4 RAM @ 2400MHz, 512GB M.2 PCIe Solid State Drive Class 40 hard drive, and an NVIDIA Quadro M1200 w/4GB GDDR5. It cost me close to $1800 at the time (the price of the components have dropped over the recent months).

I also have a notebook cooler beneath it to draw in cool air, and another external cooling fan behind it to blow away the hot air coming from the exhaust, so I can keep the system cool when it has to use Turbo Boost. Also got an externally powered USB hub to power all those cooling fans and connect my devices to.

A word of warning, just because Dell pre-installed Ubuntu doesn't mean it's read to go. I bought this laptop with the misconception that Dell already configured everything so it would work out of the box like they would do with a Windows machine. All they really did was install the OS, and put in some settings to get updates from a Dell server--that's it. Everything else you need to do yourself.

Now that it's up and running and I am done yelling and screaming and it, I really like this super fast laptop. I even got the native Linux version of PCSX2 running on it and played a little bit of Metal Gear Solid 2.

Anyway, although I'm going to be busy with IRL stuff soon, I was thinking about writing up a newbie reference guide for Linux so that new users don't have to fumble around and try and figure things through brute force (and yelling and screaming at their computer while giving it the finger like some angry YouTube reviewer) like I did.

Would anyone be interested in passing around such a document in circulation?

Also, what is the best free video editing software to use with Linux?

Last edited by NERV Agent; 07/27/2018 at 08:52 AM.
Thanked by:
Cthulhu (07/28/2018)