The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Final Fantasy > Neo Final Fantasy (VIII - XV)

Neo Final Fantasy (VIII - XV) Discussion area for all Final Fantasy titles after Final Fantasy VII.

Old 12/22/2017   #4981
ForceStealer

People get way too touchy about crossovers. They are demonstrably fine.

And using MvC and Kingdom Hearts to dispute that is pretty lulzy

hitoshura wrote: Don't belittle my peoples, bitch. We work hard and we do what we're told. And might possibly be Scottish.
ultima espio wrote: I'm not sure if it was a BOMB, it could have been MAKO, KING, BEST, or ORBS.
ForceStealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 3:
Ami (12/23/2017), The Twilight Mexican (12/22/2017), X-SOLDIER (12/22/2017)
Old 12/22/2017   #4982
Kionae

ForceStealer wrote: People get way too touchy about crossovers. They are demonstrably fine.

And using MvC and Kingdom Hearts to dispute that is pretty lulzy
Personally, I love crossovers (and am a huge Kingdom Hearts fan). But this one in Assassin's Creed Origins was just... meh. It took all of five minutes, if that, to complete, and all you got for it was a quick cutscene with no explanation (or voice acting), and some new gear.

Meanwhile, FFXV got a whole Assassin's Creed festival to run around in, and while maybe not the most astounding content, it was still pretty neat and gave you something to do.

Awards 'n Stuffs

Least Likely to Win an Award - 2nd Place
Kionae is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
X-SOLDIER (12/22/2017)
Old 12/22/2017   #4983
The Twilight Mexican

Some random fun stuff to share:

- Noct warp-striking while confused

- New dialogue added for leaving Pitioss before and after completing it
Thanked by 6:
Alex Strife (12/23/2017), Dark and Divine (12/22/2017), Kuja9001 (12/23/2017), Shademp (12/23/2017), Tetsujin (12/22/2017), X-SOLDIER (12/22/2017)
Old 12/22/2017   #4984
lithiumkatana17

The Twilight Mexican wrote: Some random fun stuff to share:

- Noct warp-striking while confused

- New dialogue added for leaving Pitioss before and after completing it
Bwahahah 'my brain hurts'.

Dude my fucking SOUL hurt after completing that fucking labyrinth. Fuck Pitioss and its bullshit for the rest of my fucking LIFE!

Lith and Kimble on Lith's promotion wrote: Kimble: With great power--
Lith: COMES GREAT FUCKERY!
Kimble: ...we're doomed.
X-SOLDIER wrote: Lith lives in the land of perpetual salt.
2017 1st Place Winner of Most Likely To Burn A Mountain Village Down Upon Discovering That They Are The Product Of A Science Experiment

lithiumkatana17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
The Twilight Mexican (12/23/2017), X-SOLDIER (12/22/2017)
Old 12/23/2017   #4985
Blade

Lulcy wrote: Could you elaborate why each of your examples did not pull it off?
Since apparently not many people are familiar with fighting games:

While Capcom VS SNK 2 was remotely successful, its counterpart SVC Chaos was badly drawn as far as sprites go, loads of hit detection bugs, and the game was even less balanced, having been produced by SNK during its low period where sprites were low quality due to budget restraints.

Tekken 7 has been mostly positive, but Street Fighter X Tekken was a failure mostly because of its DLC and unbalanced mechanics.

Marvel VS Capcom 2, while the most recognized of the games in the series, was originally built for an Arcade setting, so when games like MvC3 came out for game consoles, they were prepping for things like DLC and other gimmicks that weren't all that well thought out (Dictator Magneto for example), not to mention balance issues that were hard to resolve because of the 3 on 3 Team match setup and Assist mechanics that didn't have many variables. (Tier lists in Capcom games are way more apparent than most other games in the genre).

So while they tried to fix that in Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3, it... uh.... still didn't balance out very well.

Marvel VS Capcom Infinite had lukewarm reception (as did Street Fighter V with it's missing arcade mode).

Now we have an upcoming game like BlazBlue Crosstag Battle... which, as far as we can see is very polished, BUT.... you can't say that a company like French Bread (Under Night In-Birth / Melty Blood) could produce a BlazBlue crossover game of the same caliber without getting help and money.

POINT BEING: Crossovers look awesome on paper, but not all companies can do them or afford to.

So yeah... even if you LIKE a crossover, chances are, if another company tried to reverse-engineer it, it wouldn't be the same. (for example: if Disney tried to make a Final Fantasy RPG instead of Square-Enix... who KNOWS what would happen... so it's often better for Squeenix to just make Kingdom Hearts instead of someone else).

Tekken 7's DLC with Akuma and Geese evoke memories of Capcom VS SNK 2, but at the same time, it's STILL Tekken in nature, so that was deeply considered. Same expectation for Noctis in Tekken as well.

By contrast, in-series (same company) crossovers are by and large more successful... like Dissidia, Smash Bros, Tales of Versus, Gundam Versus, Dragonball FighterZ, because the formula stays relatively the same.
^Here's hoping for:
Valkyrie Profile: Hrist
Metal Gear Rising 2: Re-Revengeance

Last edited by Blade; 12/23/2017 at 10:56 AM.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2017   #4986
Lucis Caelum

What you are describing is not a problem inherently of crossovers, that's just plain and simple game designing issues from flawed developers.
Lucis Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
The Twilight Mexican (12/23/2017)
Old 12/23/2017   #4987
Edley

This has probably been discussed before, but (SPOILER) did Lunafreya know Ardyn was the accursed before she touched his arm? Seems like pretty relevant information for Gentiana to share. As evidenced by the train sequence, the Glacian definitely knows who he is.

If defeating him is the key to saving the world, one would think the Astrals would point him out to the one responsible for communication between the divine and the mortal. What reason would Gentiana have for witholding this knowledge? If Luna did know prior and chose not to share this info with Regis, Ravus, or Noctis it's pretty baffling.
Miria Harvent: That's true! Amazing!
Edley is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
Alex Strife (12/23/2017), X-SOLDIER (12/23/2017)
Old 12/23/2017   #4988
The Twilight Mexican

At the very least, (SPOILER) she knew he was caked in the scourge. As to how much she knew and when, your guess is as good as mine, though I don't think telling Noct would have changed anything.
Thanked by 2:
Edley (12/24/2017), X-SOLDIER (12/23/2017)
Old 12/24/2017   #4989
ultima espio

From Twitter:
ultima espio is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 9:
Alex Strife (12/25/2017), Ami (12/24/2017), Dark and Divine (12/24/2017), Flare (12/28/2017), lithiumkatana17 (12/25/2017), Minato (12/24/2017), Tennyo (12/24/2017), The Twilight Mexican (12/24/2017), X-SOLDIER (12/25/2017)
Old 12/24/2017   #4990
The Twilight Mexican

If Santa were the type to come down the chimney and shit in your sink.
Thanked by:
Dark and Divine (12/24/2017)
Old 12/25/2017   #4991
Blade

Lulcy wrote: What you are describing is not a problem inherently of crossovers, that's just plain and simple game designing issues from flawed developers.
Yeah, but even so, it's happened too often for it not to not be a concern with any crossover between devs with different fiscal situations.

Well anyway, if anyone is "Santa" in FFXV, it's Cid, for all the weapon upgrades he gives you.
^Here's hoping for:
Old 12/28/2017   #4992
Blade

Is this a spoiler, guys?

(SPOILER)

Remind me again, why does it have a crack in it?
^Here's hoping for:
Old 12/29/2017   #4993
X-SOLDIER

Blade wrote: Is this a spoiler, guys?

(SPOILER)

Remind me again, why does it have a crack in it?
It's not. It's been that way since we saw it in Kingsglaive in Insomnia

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

Shademp – on the subject of my seemingly boundless optimism wrote: After Ungoliant had sucked the light from the trees Telperion and Laurelin, she found that there was a third tree but whose light was too potent and immortal for her to absorb. Thusly, Ungoliant left Valinor in tears for she could not absorb the light of the tree named X-SOLDIER.

#TotzCanon

~ | G+ | Facebook | Tumblr | Twitter | DA | TLS | FFOF | FF | SCL | KC | CC | ~
X-SOLDIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
The Twilight Mexican (12/30/2017)
Old 12/29/2017   #4994
Blade

Yeah, but... what's with the crack in it?
^Here's hoping for:
Old 12/30/2017   #4995
Lucis Caelum

Probably to add an aesthetic flavor.
Lucis Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote