The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Topical > Entertainment

Entertainment Poast about movies, television, animé, books, and pyrotechnics in the distance here. Music topics go in The Venue.

Old 04/28/2015   #1
Tetsujin
Default DARGON BOLE SOOPER [Doragon Boru SUPA]

Toei Animation Begins Production on Dragon Ball Super Drawn From a Plot By The Brand’s Original Creator, Dragon Ball Super Is The First New Series In Eighteen Years

TOKYO (April 28, 2015) – Toei Animation has announced production on Dragon Ball Super (Japanese title; tentative for English release), the first all-new Dragon Ball television series to be released in 18 years. Following the recent events of the hit feature film, Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection ‘F’, Dragon Ball Super will debut in Japan in July 2015.

Reuniting the franchise’s iconic characters, Dragon Ball Super will follow the aftermath of Goku’s fierce battle with Majin Buu, as he attempts to maintain earth’s fragile peace. Overseen by Dragon Ball’s original creator, Akira Toriyama and produced with Fuji Television, Dragon Ball Super will draw on its historic past to create a bold, new universe welcoming to fans and endearing to new viewers.

Introduced as a manga in Weekly Shonen Jump (published from SHUEISHA Inc.) in 1984, Dragon Ball has evolved into a globally beloved brand. Seen in more than 70 countries, with over 230 million copies of its comic books sold, Dragon Ball remains one of the most popular anime series of all time.

“Having loved Dragon Ball since childhood, it is very exciting to be a part of this project,” said Osamu Nozaki, producer for Fuji Television. “Mr. Toriyama has developed a plot that’s not only a dream come true for Dragon Ball‘s millions of fans, but one that will foster in a new generation of viewers.”

“When I joined Toei Animation, one of my first assignments saw me working on the production of Dragon Ball Z,” said Atsushi Kido, producer for Toei Animation. “While there for only a short period of time, being a part of the series left a lasting impression. We look forward to carrying on Dragon Ball‘s tremendous legacy, bringing audiences a brand new Dragon Ball with the same sense of heart and commitment that went into past Dragon Ball productions.”

“I’ve used the word ‘cho’ (super) in so many commercials, games and other media, it is fantastic that the long awaited Dragon Ball Super will finally begin,” said Masako Nozawa, Japanese voice actress of Dragon Ball’s Son Goku, Son Gohan and Son Goten. “I hope that this series will last a long time and have the same impact around the world as its predecessor.”
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2015/04/28...nced-for-2015/
Tetsujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 8:
Alex Strife (04/29/2015), Claymore (04/28/2015), Cthulhu (04/28/2015), Dark and Divine (04/28/2015), Flare (08/28/2015), The Mad King (04/28/2015), The Twilight Mexican (04/28/2015), X-SOLDIER (04/28/2015)
Old 04/28/2015   #2
The Twilight Mexican

I guess there is that ten-year gap after Buu and before the last episodes of DBZ to work with there.
Old 04/28/2015   #3
Interslicery

Interested, but waiting for an actual product before I get excited. They can fuck it up easily.

Interslicery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/28/2015   #4
Cthulhu

said Masako Nozawa, Japanese voice actress of Dragon Ball’s Son Goku, Son Gohan and Son Goten
Wait, the protagonist and his babbies are all VA'd by the same VA'd, and it's a she? TIL

Anyway, IDK, I liked DBZ back when, but it had too much filler (Kai is better, but still) and inane ramblings and shit. Didn't particularly like the previous movie either, so if that's the direction they'll keep going (with lame slapstick and shit), then I'll pass
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 3:
Claymore (04/28/2015), Hisako (09/22/2015), Literally Who? (04/28/2015)
Old 04/29/2015   #5
Ghost X

チャラ ヘッチャラ! (etc)

I look forward to it. Hopefully they improve on the formula. Faster plot progression definitely should happen. Less focus on fights (make them less long and more impressive when they happen ), and more focus on mundane and humorous aspects of the characters interactions.

2017 1st Runner-Up -- Member You'd Most Want to Meet.

2017 1st Runner-Up -- Best Voice.

2017 2nd Place Winner -- Most Likely To Back Out Of A Fight But Remain... Victorious.
Ghost X is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
Flare (08/28/2015), The Twilight Mexican (04/29/2015)
Old 05/01/2015   #6
Hisako

CHAAAAAAAAAAAA-LAAAAAAAAAAA

HEAD CHA-LAAAAAAAAAAAH

RIP in peace old sig lolol 04/2015

Don't believe your eyes? Don't be surprised.

Hisako is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 7:
Ghost X (05/02/2015), Joe (05/01/2015), Literally Who? (05/08/2015), Minato (05/08/2015), The Mad King (05/01/2015), The Twilight Mexican (05/01/2015), Xelazander (05/01/2015)
Old 05/05/2015   #7
The Mad King

I am super excited for this. Dragonball has always been my favorite anime/manga series, and I can't foresee a day where I wont want more of it.

That being said, I do feel slightly concerned. If this series is meant to take place in the same continuity as the new movies, then I worry that the power gap between Goku/Vegeta and the rest of the characters might be to big.

With the god power up both Goku and Vegeta are at a truly insane power level, while the rest of the characters have either remained more or less the same, like Piccolo, or have actually lost power, like Gohan. The way things stand now any villain strong enough to represent even the slightest threat to Goku and Vegeta would be capable of one-shotting anyone else.

Still, its Dragonball, so its possible something will happen to elevate the other characters to a level where they can still contribute in the big battles.

I will maintain a cautious optimism for now.
Flare (08/28/2015), The Twilight Mexican (05/05/2015), X-SOLDIER (05/05/2015)
Old 05/06/2015   #8
Ghost X

I'm sure they'll work something out, unless the story ends up like Asura's Wrath.

2017 2nd Place Winner -- Most Likely To Back Out Of A Fight But Remain... Victorious.
Thanked by:
The Twilight Mexican (05/08/2015)
Old 05/06/2015   #9
X-SOLDIER

Hey, Asura's Wrath has a fantastic power progression for the narrative of the story, but it isn't about maintaining a team so much as ultra-powering a single individual, so…

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

Shademp – on the subject of my seemingly boundless optimism wrote: After Ungoliant had sucked the light from the trees Telperion and Laurelin, she found that there was a third tree but whose light was too potent and immortal for her to absorb. Thusly, Ungoliant left Valinor in tears for she could not absorb the light of the tree named X-SOLDIER.

#TotzCanon

~ | G+ | Facebook | Tumblr | Twitter | DA | TLS | FFOF | FF | SCL | KC | CC | ~
X-SOLDIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
Ghost X (05/07/2015), The Twilight Mexican (05/08/2015)
Old 05/07/2015   #10
Ghost X

I didn't say I had an issue with Asura's wrath . I'm saying there's only so much further they can go with the whole power progression story. Hopefully there is some kind of change in story direction, which shifts focus away from the power-upping.

Thanked by 2:
The Twilight Mexican (05/08/2015), X-SOLDIER (05/07/2015)
Old 05/07/2015   #11
X-SOLDIER

It brought this article to mind: http://animation.io9.com/shonen-anim...eak-1567356201

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

Shademp – on the subject of my seemingly boundless optimism wrote: After Ungoliant had sucked the light from the trees Telperion and Laurelin, she found that there was a third tree but whose light was too potent and immortal for her to absorb. Thusly, Ungoliant left Valinor in tears for she could not absorb the light of the tree named X-SOLDIER.

#TotzCanon

Thanked by 3:
Cthulhu (05/07/2015), Ghost X (05/07/2015), The Twilight Mexican (05/08/2015)
Old 05/07/2015   #12
Cthulhu

I like that one, . DBZ went from getting exponentially badass (up to s00p3r s4y4n) to IDK where everyone's at anymore. I liked power levels, but then the scanner broke and we never saw it again, possibly because it passed the realm of pronounceable numbers, .
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 5:
Flare (08/28/2015), Ghost X (05/07/2015), Minato (05/08/2015), The Twilight Mexican (05/08/2015), X-SOLDIER (05/07/2015)
Old 05/07/2015   #13
Minato

X-SOLDIER wrote: It brought this article to mind: http://animation.io9.com/shonen-anim...eak-1567356201

X
The article certainly has a point but I heavily disagree with them presenting Bleach as the supposedly worst one. Ichigo gets depowered all the time depending on what his Hollow and Zanpaktou is feeling like or how confident he is. I WISH Naruto and Goku kept things as close as he does.
Minato is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
Flare (08/28/2015), The Twilight Mexican (05/08/2015)
Old 05/07/2015   #14
X-SOLDIER

Doran Martell wrote: The article certainly has a point but I heavily disagree with them presenting Bleach as the supposedly worst one. Ichigo gets depowered all the time depending on what his Hollow and Zanpaktou is feeling like or how confident he is. I WISH Naruto and Goku kept things as close as he does.
I have to totally and vehemently disagree.

I followed both Bleach & Naruto from just about as soon as they started, and Naruto's power curve along with the surrounding cast and the power curves of the story itself have generally flowed smoothly from low to incredibly high power. The level of power isn't the issue (see Asura's Wrath for another excellent example of how to do this correctly), but it's the introduction of new powers and threats and people around the main character keeping up or being totally useless.

Bleach is an unmitigated disaster with the introduction of new, powerful enemies and having TERRIBLE power curves for its pacing for all the reasons stated in the article. Beyond that, the best example is the current arc, where... the Quincy army and Yhwach have staggeringly ridiculous godlike power -- ostensibly just because they were introduced later on in the series, just because with anything less powerful isn't a threat anymore. If the same task force of his had been introduced earlier in the series, they'd have been a more believable set of enemies with less insane powers -- which would match how the Quincies had been shown to be like in every incarnation before now.

I could tl;dr about that, but that'd be better suited for the actual Bleach thread.

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

#TotzCanon

Thanked by 2:
Flare (08/28/2015), The Twilight Mexican (05/08/2015)
Old 05/08/2015   #15
Minato

X-SOLDIER wrote: I have to totally and vehemently disagree.

I followed both Bleach & Naruto from just about as soon as they started, and Naruto's power curve along with the surrounding cast and the power curves of the story itself have generally flowed smoothly from low to incredibly high power. The level of power isn't the issue (see Asura's Wrath for another excellent example of how to do this correctly), but it's the introduction of new powers and threats and people around the main character keeping up or being totally useless.

Bleach is an unmitigated disaster with the introduction of new, powerful enemies and having TERRIBLE power curves for its pacing for all the reasons stated in the article. Beyond that, the best example is the current arc, where... the Quincy army and Yhwach have staggeringly ridiculous godlike power -- ostensibly just because they were introduced later on in the series, just because with anything less powerful isn't a threat anymore. If the same task force of his had been introduced earlier in the series, they'd have been a more believable set of enemies with less insane powers -- which would match how the Quincies had been shown to be like in every incarnation before now.

I could tl;dr about that, but that'd be better suited for the actual Bleach thread.

X
Yeah everyone has insane powers in Bleach. In Naruto, the main character was so powerful it was outright stated the whole village had no place on the battlefield with him anymore when he unlocked Sage Techniques. Then he got even more powered up and every Shadow clone on it's own is Kage level fighter, capable of Kyuubi Mode and Sage Mode and more shadow clones. And he can and has dispatch thousands of shadow clones like that. In no way does Ichigo make his supporting cast that logically useless.
Minato is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
The Twilight Mexican (05/08/2015)