The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Final Fantasy > Neo Final Fantasy (VIII - XV)

Neo Final Fantasy (VIII - XV) Discussion area for all Final Fantasy titles after Final Fantasy VII.

Old 07/26/2010   #76
Mantichorus

looneymoon wrote: OH MY LOL. Honestly, it's one-liners like these that really make me realize how the dialogue for FF games hasn't quite been at the same level of quality since the advent of voice acting.
Absolutely. In FFIX, you have the following line on an item: "We seek the meaning of life because we are mortal". (It's on one of the bells you get at either Gizamaluke's Grotto or Burmecia, IIRC.)

In FFX, you have a macarena reference.
To keep one step ahead of you
L.E. Modesitt, Jr wrote: Sometimes cynicism is the last refuge of the idealist.
As soon as you saw people as things to be measured, they didn't measure up.
You think water moves fast? You should see ice. It moves like it has a mind. Like it knows it killed the world once and got a taste for murder.
Gym Leader Kris sprite by Brooke

Sam Vimes arrested a dragon... and carries the law with him like an Ampharos
Vimes and PokeSammies sprite by GLD
Mantichorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 6:
AvecAloes (11/08/2011), Celes Chere (07/27/2010), KissTheRain (07/27/2010), looneymoon (07/26/2010), Sprites (07/26/2010), Zee (07/27/2010)
Old 07/26/2010   #77
Sprites

I liked that about the Key Items in FFIX as well, just getting those little tidbits of info, they were much more detailed than any of the other FFs Key Items were.

As for the whole issue of voice acting yeah I don't think the Dialogue in the FF games has been half as good as it was before voice acting came along although that could be depending on the voice. If someone doesn't portray the dialogue with the emotions or tone we think they should, its bound to make the dialogue sound worse that it could be.

Pre FFX it was easier to feel the dialogue was better because in your own head you could interpret what way it was being said or the emotion of the character. Whereas with Voice acting its much harder to interpret the way you want the character to sound or the tone/emotion of the dialogue because it's already laid out for you so its harder to think that the dialogue is better in that sense.
Sprites is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Mr. Ite (07/27/2010)
Old 07/27/2010   #78
Celes Chere

I love this thread... I'm going to replay FFIX right now. xD
Celes Chere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/27/2010   #79
Tifaeria

Celes Chere wrote: I love this thread... I'm going to replay FFIX right now. xD
Me too, especially since I'm talking to a friend who's playing it right now. Nostalgia FTW!

Tifaeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/27/2010   #80
Mr. Ite

People who like FFIX tend to have ideas about FFs that I agree with. It's like a haven of nice, happy people.
Mr. Ite is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
looneymoon (07/27/2010), Tetsujin (07/27/2010)
Old 07/27/2010   #81
Ghost X

Only shitty thing about FFIX was the trance/limit break system, imo.

2017 1st Runner-Up -- Member You'd Most Want to Meet.

2017 1st Runner-Up -- Best Voice.

2017 2nd Place Winner -- Most Likely To Back Out Of A Fight But Remain... Victorious.
Ghost X is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
KissTheRain (07/27/2010), Tetsujin (07/27/2010)
Old 07/27/2010   #82
ForceStealer

lol, it was frustrating, especially right before a boss and you get it in a random battle. It makes more sense than being able to hold on to the emotions needed for a limit break...but its still frustrating

Did they ever establish who Cid was regent for? Or was it just the Japanese picking a random European title?

hitoshura wrote: Don't belittle my peoples, bitch. We work hard and we do what we're told. And might possibly be Scottish.
ultima espio wrote: I'm not sure if it was a BOMB, it could have been MAKO, KING, BEST, or ORBS.
ForceStealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/27/2010   #83
Strangelove

Or translators picking a random title According to Wikipedia in Japanese he was '大公', which translates to grand duke (and some other things) but not regent.
Old 07/27/2010   #84
ForceStealer

Or that. You'd think the translators would know enough English to know what a Regent is

hitoshura wrote: Don't belittle my peoples, bitch. We work hard and we do what we're told. And might possibly be Scottish.
ultima espio wrote: I'm not sure if it was a BOMB, it could have been MAKO, KING, BEST, or ORBS.
Thanked by:
Arianna (07/30/2010)
Old 07/27/2010   #85
Mantichorus

The translators were probably American. So... insert your own Anglo-centric remarks about the American grasp of the English language.

Did anyone else find Mikoto saying at the beginning of disc 4 "um, yeah, you're gonna die" hilarious? XD I found it funny because it was what I was thinking at the time.
You think water moves fast? You should see ice. It moves like it has a mind. Like it knows it killed the world once and got a taste for murder.

Thanked by 3:
Arianna (07/30/2010), Celes Chere (07/27/2010), looneymoon (07/27/2010)
Old 07/27/2010   #86
ForceStealer

...I'm American and I know what a regent is...

Thanked by 4:
Arianna (07/30/2010), Celes Chere (07/27/2010), Max Payne (07/27/2010), Zee (07/28/2010)
Old 07/27/2010   #87
Mantichorus

You're an exception. After all, you know there's a world outside the US.

Thanked by:
Arianna (07/30/2010)
Old 07/27/2010   #88
Max Payne

ForceStealer wrote: ...I'm American and I know what a regent is...
Same, herp.
Max Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Arianna (07/30/2010)
Old 07/27/2010   #89
Alex

Garnet is the single worst leading female in the history of Final Fantasy.

Aside from that slight glaring detail, I fucking love FFIX. Easily one of my favourite games in the series
Old 07/27/2010   #90
ForceStealer

I don't think she's the worst, but she's not especially memorable - apart from that horrible orange jumpsuit. What was she thinking?