The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Topical > Entertainment

Entertainment Poast about movies, television, animé, books, and pyrotechnics in the distance here. Music topics go in The Venue.

Old 03/29/2017   #1
Interslicery
Default It

YouTube Video

Interslicery is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 10:
ChipNoir (03/29/2017), Cthulhu (03/29/2017), Dark and Divine (03/29/2017), Dawnbreaker (09/11/2017), Ghost X (03/29/2017), Kionae (03/29/2017), Octo (03/29/2017), The Twilight Mexican (03/30/2017), vaderSW1 (03/29/2017), X-SOLDIER (03/29/2017)
Old 03/29/2017   #2
Octo

brrrrrrrrrrrr

(Mostly Manics related things but some other stuff and more things being added all the time! <3

https://www.redbubble.com/people/rom...dropdown&asc=u
Octo is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
The Twilight Mexican (03/30/2017)
Old 03/29/2017   #3
X-SOLDIER

Suitably creeptastic.

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

Shademp – on the subject of my seemingly boundless optimism wrote: After Ungoliant had sucked the light from the trees Telperion and Laurelin, she found that there was a third tree but whose light was too potent and immortal for her to absorb. Thusly, Ungoliant left Valinor in tears for she could not absorb the light of the tree named X-SOLDIER.

#TotzCanon

~ | G+ | Facebook | Tumblr | Twitter | DA | TLS | FFOF | FF | SCL | KC | CC | ~
X-SOLDIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03/29/2017   #4
vaderSW1

This looks terrific. Looking forward to It greatly.
vaderSW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03/29/2017   #5
Kionae

This may be the only movie remake I've ever found myself looking forward to...
Kionae is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
Cthulhu (03/29/2017), The Twilight Mexican (03/30/2017)
Old 03/29/2017   #6
Octo

I think the original IT tv/movie - though flawed in a lot of ways - perfectly captured that nightmare quality. I think the only other thing that beat it was the "Untitled" episode of Louie.

So yeah I have high hopes for this.

(Mostly Manics related things but some other stuff and more things being added all the time! <3

https://www.redbubble.com/people/rom...dropdown&asc=u
Octo is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
The Twilight Mexican (03/31/2017), X-SOLDIER (03/29/2017)
Old 03/29/2017   #7
Cthulhu

Much as I read and quite liked the book, I'm not going to watch this.

Nope nope nope nope nope nope . I dun liek jump scares.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 3:
Octo (03/29/2017), The Twilight Mexican (03/31/2017), X-SOLDIER (03/29/2017)
Old 03/29/2017   #8
Shademp

Freezing at the proper frame at 2:22 to see the clown isn't recommended. He looks more silly than frightening. Like he's trying to impersonate Bugs Bunny.

That's not to say of course that the original clown wasn't silly.

YouTube Video
Shademp is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 4:
Cthulhu (03/29/2017), Dark and Divine (03/29/2017), The Twilight Mexican (03/31/2017), X-SOLDIER (03/29/2017)
Old 03/29/2017   #9
ChipNoir

Sooooo psyched.
ChipNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
The Twilight Mexican (03/31/2017), X-SOLDIER (03/29/2017)
Old 03/29/2017   #10
Ghost X

TL;DR: You'll float too.

2017 1st Runner-Up -- Member You'd Most Want to Meet.

2017 1st Runner-Up -- Best Voice.

2017 2nd Place Winner -- Most Likely To Back Out Of A Fight But Remain... Victorious.
Ghost X is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 3:
Cthulhu (03/30/2017), The Twilight Mexican (03/31/2017), X-SOLDIER (03/30/2017)
Old 03/30/2017   #11
Trainer Red

I remember watching this as a little kid (cause my cousin thought it would be funny) and I remember I couldn't watch It without covering my eyes from the fear.

I honestly thought I could watch the trailer for the 2017 remake without getting scared, got scared and had to go hide my face. GG, me.

Scared of Life wrote: I THINK The Wii can play Blue Ray because it has Bluetooth and aren't they the same thing?
I'm just a girl who bought the Wii because of the Wii Mote. It's so nice and it vibrates.
Trainer Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 4:
Octo (03/30/2017), Teioh (03/31/2017), The Twilight Mexican (03/31/2017), X-SOLDIER (03/30/2017)
Old 03/30/2017   #12
Clement Rage

I hate to be the crotchety unpleasable fan, but... I don't like that trailer? Sorry folks. There are plenty of moments from the story that are suitable for jumpscares, but they picked the wrong ones. IT is more than just the monster that jumps out at you, as a very jumpy person, I didn't find this scary. Could do with more 'creeping dread' rather than 'boo!'
Clement Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 3:
Cthulhu (03/31/2017), Ghost X (03/31/2017), The Twilight Mexican (03/31/2017)
Old 03/31/2017   #13
ChipNoir

Clement Rage wrote: I hate to be the crotchety unpleasable fan, but... I don't like that trailer? Sorry folks. There are plenty of moments from the story that are suitable for jumpscares, but they picked the wrong ones. IT is more than just the monster that jumps out at you, as a very jumpy person, I didn't find this scary. Could do with more 'creeping dread' rather than 'boo!'
Can you really call any of these 'jump' scares by the conventional definition? The whole method of a Jump scare is that we get a silent moment of the mundane, and suddenly your monster/killer jumps out of nowhere. Nightmare on Elm Street 2017 is the king of abusing what should be a tool for tension and release during long stretches.

1. Pennywise in the sewer; That's...just the way the scene works. No matter what, that scene is going to operate on Pennywise being a little unnerving at first. The way it unfolds is that he then backpeddles his creep factor, lures Georgie in with his boat, and then goes for the kill.

2. The ending. The fact is that we're already in fright mode with Ghost Georgie, and we see Penny's face emerging before he blasts out. To me it feels less Jump Scare and more a play out of the J-Horror Sadako/Kaiyako play book. In J-Horror, they have no qualms with showing the monster, and then just piling on by having it go for the throat even though we know its coming.

And to counter that, the projector scene is a real genius move, because it's a dawning realization of dread despite no actualized threat. If you've read the book, you know that Pennywise tries to pop out of a photo album as a 'jump scare' of sorts. Here, it uses the tech of 80s to take something really common place and turn it into an avenue of fear. I almost wish they hadn't shown this scene, since unless you're a stickler for the details, even fans of the book/series won't know what this scene entails until the scene is in full throttle. I've also heard some people say they get a Nightmare on Elm Street vibe off of the trailer. I have to agree, Penny and Freddy have similar meta-magical qualities, and the camera/vibe, even some of the lines feel very similar to Elm Street part III.

So I think besides playing the rules of a trailer, this doesn't seem like a film that's going to rely on jump scares. My only dread is that we know that the sequel is going to be set in modern times. 1989 in this, and 2016 for the sequel. I really hope they resist the urge to go Sinister 2 where Pennywise is on every computer and smartphone screen possible.
Thanked by 2:
Cthulhu (03/31/2017), The Twilight Mexican (03/31/2017)
Old 03/31/2017   #14
Ghost X

The trailer does not show a present time setting.

2017 1st Runner-Up -- Member You'd Most Want to Meet.

2017 1st Runner-Up -- Best Voice.

2017 2nd Place Winner -- Most Likely To Back Out Of A Fight But Remain... Victorious.
Ghost X is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
The Twilight Mexican (03/31/2017)
Old 03/31/2017   #15
ChipNoir

Ghost X wrote: The trailer does not show a present time setting.
Interviews ages ago states it's set in the 80s, plus it makes sense from a few things. The car models are all 1980s, and there's a xerox machine which didn't exist till a year after the Loser Club part ends. The clothes are all 80s. Henry's been changed from a greaser to a metal head, complete with mullet. Lastly, the 27 year rule would set the second movie directly into contemporary times, which is kind of an important selling point.

So 1989 or possibly 1990 is the first movie, 27 years ago for today, or at least 2016.
Thanked by:
The Twilight Mexican (03/31/2017)