The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Topical > Gaming

Gaming Discuss all things gaming in this subsection.

Old 08/10/2014   #1
Cthulhu
Default Space Engineers

THIS GAME TOOK ALL MY TIME but I let it have it because it's awesome <3. Have a crappy old trailer that just shows flying around and repairing shit (and a demo of large-scale physics and destruction at the end)

YouTube Video

And one from an update last month where they add pistons and blast doors and shit

YouTube Video

I luffs this game so hard I can't <3. It's a bit in the spirit of Minecraft, but with much less cubism. It's also similar to Starforge, which for some reason I also bought the early access for - but tbh that one sucks compared to this one.

Oh right, it's an early access game, but that's okay - just means you need to watch some videos to learn the game and there's no single player campaign. I hope they also add some stuff to space - ATM they've got a few pre-made worlds with asteroids and two big ships, and a mode where random ships appear (idk if they attack you or you can just go there and capture them for your own purposes). But what is already there gives you fucktons of shit to play with. The physics model is just glorious, imo, and I want moar.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 5:
Dark and Divine (08/12/2014), Ghost X (08/10/2014), Octo (08/12/2014), Russell (08/10/2014), The Twilight Mexican (08/10/2014)
Old 08/12/2014   #2
Cthulhu

poast moar

I'm building a biggish refinery ship (will probably bolt some miners on a piston on there in the future for lazy / automatic mining) atm, so far it's got the basics - large reactor, pair of large cargo containers, and four refineries. I'll probably end up adding a couple more refineries because that shit is slow. I'll probably add assemblers to it too, to get the full package. Have a possibly confusing screenshot:

(SPOILER)

I may have underestimated the amount of material needed (+ refine, assembly times) in survival though, even at 2x speeds,
Thanked by 2:
Dark and Divine (08/12/2014), Octo (08/12/2014)
Old 08/12/2014   #3
Dawnbreaker

Truth be told, I have no idea what one does in this game...and I watch my hubby play it nearly everyday. smry plox? This is some sort of sand-box, minecraft-esque, building game I take it?

"I'll make you happy," said Life, "But first, I'll make you strong."

"You can do everything right and still lose. That is not weakness; that is Life." Jean-Luc Picard / Patrick Stewart

"It may well be that we will have to repent in this generation not merely for the vitriolic words and the violent actions of the bad people, but for the appalling silence and indifference of the good people." Martin Luthar King Jr.

Dawnbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Cthulhu (08/13/2014)
Old 08/13/2014   #4
Cthulhu

That's pretty much it, yeah. The game offers you a set of building blocks (metal blocks, engines, some asteroids, moving bits) and tells you to have at it, . Like giving a kid a huge set of legos without any instructions. Pretty much like Minecraft too, although the main difference is that SE's more functional (you build stuff that flies and shoots and shit instead of stuff that just... sits there). Compare plain old Lego blocks vs lego spaceships, .

(I luffd my lego spaceships btw. I should borrow some kids so my parents will get the big red box from the attic for great justice)
Old 08/13/2014   #5
Cthulhu

Oh and I chucked a miner at the front of the ship posted above . Basically, a conveyor tube leads to the front, sticking to one (or more) miners. Attached separately to the ship is a row of pistons ending in a landing gear. Basically, I'll plant the landing gears on an asteroid, turn on the miners, and have the pistons pull the ship steadily forward. Fully automated mining, ftw . Mining isn't as slow (in that fashion) as I thought it would be though, I figured I'd leave it going for half an hour or so while I go do something else. But oh well, that should sort out the tediousness of mining in a more traditional (light ship) miner.
Old 08/14/2014   #6
Abortedj

This looks amazing. Need to get me a copy of this (when it is on sale).

My blog: http://theoffenderblog.blogspot.com/
Abortedj is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Cthulhu (08/14/2014)
Old 08/14/2014   #7
Cthulhu

ONE OF US! ONE OF US!
Thanked by:
Russell (08/17/2014)
Old 08/14/2014   #8
Cthulhu

Also I added shit to my mining ship; added two refineries, but more importantly I added a load of miners, pistons and a pair of landing gears for semi-automatic mining justice. The landing gears attach to an asteroid, the pistons pull the ship towards the asteroid; I've fixed the miners onto the ship itself.

I could've gone the other way around and fixed the miners to the pistons, but the pistons have the nasty habit of being very flexible for some odd reason. It can work, according to some youtube video and some personal experimentation in creative mode, but you have to make a platform at the end of the pistons with thrusters and gyroscopes and shit and I can't be bothered (yet).

Also added steel blocks and such to the lower half, I'll add some more cargo containers and style the upper half later.

Thanked by 2:
Octo (08/14/2014), Russell (08/17/2014)
Old 08/14/2014   #9
Octo

Could....could you build the Nostromo with this?!

Also, I'm pretty shit at games like this, is there any way to cheat so I could basically build to my hearts content without worrying about money and supplies and stuffs? Thats what I always did on the Sims

(Mostly Manics related things but some other stuff and more things being added all the time! <3

https://www.redbubble.com/people/rom...dropdown&asc=u

Last edited by Octo; 08/14/2014 at 10:49 PM.
Octo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/17/2014   #10
Russell

Octo wrote: Could....could you build the Nostromo with this?!
Odds are somebody already has. I made a Starbug in Space Engineers.

I haven't been on this for a long while.
Since my computer died and having trouble getting this game to run, I had the graphics chip upgraded and SE doesn't seem to recognize it.

Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Octo (08/17/2014)
Old 08/17/2014   #11
Octo

Russell wrote: Odds are somebody already has. I made a Starbug in Space Engineers.
Did you manage to get any pics before your comp died?!

(Mostly Manics related things but some other stuff and more things being added all the time! <3

https://www.redbubble.com/people/rom...dropdown&asc=u
Octo is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Russell (08/17/2014)
Old 08/17/2014   #12
Russell

Octo wrote: Did you manage to get any pics before your comp died?!
No and the save file is long gone. If I can get it working I'd like to make it again.

I've just been looking at other people's creations, there is the Planet Express ship from Futurama, Star wars/Trek ships, even Eve Online ships.

Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Octo (08/17/2014)
Old 08/18/2014   #13
Super Mario

Can you build space stations with this game? O.o

YAHOO!
Super Mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/18/2014   #14
Joe

Fully functional space stations with blast doors, sealed doors, artificial gravity, med bays, ship hangars, moving parts, multiple cockpits, indoor machine gun sentrys, different coloured lights and refinerys.

So yeah you can do that thing you said.

Reject common sense to make the impossible possible!

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/2014   #15
Cthulhu

Annnd back to the gaem. I've started building a space station with rotaty bits - which should work nicely now that they added an Advanced Rotor that acts as a conveyor. Here's some WIP pictures:

Top view , the big conveyor cross is mounted on top of that rotor and slowly rotates around. Right now I've got my 'Miner II', a small cargo ship, the regular Constructor ship, and my epic new Constructor II attached to it.

Front / bottom view , highlighting the business end - cargo containers, refineries, arc reactors, assemblers, the works. Should be able to just scale outwards if I need more stuff, although it'll make the station a bit more oblong.

The constructor , a large ship with 2x3 grinders and 2x3 welders, mounted on rotating conveyors so you can swap them around (or do one and the other if you like). They're mounted on rotors themselves so I could make them rotate to a horizontal position or just keep them spinning around. I guess I could make a more slim variant of this as a miner of sorts, idk yet.

Anyway, I kinda suck at the asthetic part, which is why the space station is basically just utilities connected via conveyors and the constructor is basically a cargo container with engines, . I'll have to fiddle with it. Maybe I should switch to creative mode for the visual stuff. The intent with the star base is to surround the docking connectors with a circular disk, a living area of sorts. With a spherical gravity generator set to inverse G's, of course (think 2001). Maybe another level on top with a hangar (which would also rotate, think 2001 again or Elite or whatever).

Edit: Few hours later, I've done part of the intended upper shell / living compartiment / thing using erm, Minecraft circle-drawing techniques / blueprints. That was a bit of work, . Started welding it, but I went through 5K plates just to get what you see on the screenshots. Put the assemblers to work doing plates on repeat. Probably not a bad idea to have one do plates, another construction components - those get used up rather quickly. I can avoid them using all of my resources by not having all of said resources available. Might be I can come up with something clever re: that, but, idk yet. Anyway:

The constructor doing its welding magic . Actually it's static and the thing is set to rotate, works well enough. I can also rotate the welders upright, might be better in this case. IDK yet, will fiddle with that tomorrow.

Top view . I'm not sure yet if I'll make it symmetrical, which will make it look like a saucer, or elongate it a bit so there's more space on the inside. I'm occupying all four docking things already atm actually, I could make it a two-story docking thing. I could offset it by adding another rotor, or do two counter-rotating bits (although idk how that would work with the fake artificial gravity I'm trying to make it look like).
Thanked by 2:
Dawnbreaker (11/14/2014), Ghost X (11/11/2014)