The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.


Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Final Fantasy > Sub-Final Fantasy > Final Fantasy Tactics

Final Fantasy Tactics All of the Final Fantasy-based tactical role-playing games.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07/03/2009   #1
Neo Bahamut
Default Ivalice Alliance/the Final Fantasy Tactics Page

Two topic ideas for the price of one. Cuts down on superfluous posting.

Okay, here's my deal with Ivalice Alliance: It contains the XII games, the Tactics Advanced games, Tactics, & some other shit I don't remember.

Why does it never get targeted for bitching like the Compilation? It has over 9000 games to its name, & they don't even carry out a coherent storyline. Seriously, what the Hell do ANY of them have to do with Tactics?

That said, the only game in it that I like is Final Fantasy Tactics. I was ecstatic when War of the Lions came out, immediately got it, & would probably have beaten everything already, if I hadn't run out of save files. I'm still not sure what to do with that. I'll get back to it eventually.

So, I guess this is to talk about the general Ivalice Alliance thing & Tactics. There's already a thread about XII, so I see no need to devote a huge amount of conversation to it.

Besides, what I really want is to see how many Tactics fans we have.
Neo Bahamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/03/2009   #2
null.
Default

I love FFT, though I haven't played it in ages. It was actually halfway challenging in places.
null. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/03/2009   #3
Alessa Gillespie
Default

I played FFTA and it wasn't that bad. Though usually when I want a turn-based strategy game, I'm gonna turn to Nippon Ichi, who actually knows how to do it.
__________________

is daddy still a good man?
like a shotgun needs an outcome

don't trust the ones who shake with their left hand

ACKY: IM NOT A TURIAN I CANT MAEK BABBIES WITH GARRUS

Joe: NOT WITH THAT ATTITUDE


can you fight a legendary creature?


i was a TEENAGE CLAIRVOYANT
Alessa Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/03/2009   #4
null.
Default

There's always room for improvement. I rather enjoyed the Vandal Hearts simultaneous turn system. That's something I'd like to see in future FFT incarnations.
null. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/03/2009   #5
Strangelove
Default

I keep trying to finish off FFT (from the start of Chapter 4), but there's a gap between my characters now and even random battles are too much for me. Because I'm not very good

But now I'll need to replay it from the beginning just to remember what happened in it.
Strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/03/2009   #6
null.
Default

Sounds like you leveled up too fast, old chap. Just hang in until you get Orlandu, at which point you're basically invincible.
null. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/03/2009   #7
Strangelove
Default

I think it was that fight at the end of Chapter 3 where you have to use Ramza on his own. (You know the one I mean. Because I don't remember what the guy was called.) I remember levelling up for that, which probably what caused it. I just wish I could find some weak random enemies to go level up with/special characters so I won't have to bother, because I enjoyed it and would like to see how it ends.
Strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/03/2009   #8
Madame Mayor
Default

I didn't like FFT's gameplay, but I loved FFTA and FFTA2. The only thing I wished was that they weren't handhelds. I played FFTA on my gamecube back in the day.
Madame Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/03/2009   #9
Strangelove
Default

I actually have FFTA2 that I haven't started, although I'm kind of glad because I recently learnt that having FFTA in the DS when you start the game gives you a clan ability and I would have missed out on that
Strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2009   #10
ForceStealer
Default

Neo Bahamut wrote: Why does it never get targeted for bitching like the Compilation? It has over 9000 games to its name, & they don't even carry out a coherent storyline. Seriously, what the Hell do ANY of them have to do with Tactics?
Probably because it doesn't carry a clear storyline. Nobody knows enough about how its supposed to work to bitch about inconsistencies.

Neo Bahamut wrote: That said, the only game in it that I like is Final Fantasy Tactics.
This. I adore Tactics. It was actually the first Final Fantasy I played after FF7. Back then I really didn't get the story and got lost in all the names and liked it anyway. But replaying it in the War of the Lions release, between both my age and the new translation, I really came to enjoy it. I really truly felt bad for Ramza. (SPOILER) I know he didn't want recognition, but still, he deserved it. After having every faction against him and his comrades and fending them all off. And then not to even be remembered for so long...

The Tactics Advance games' stories aren't on nearly the scale of FFT and I really don't care about little kids. The battle system also seemed more restrictive to me, between the race-limited classes and laws.

FFXII certainly came the closest to matching the storytelling greatness of Tactics', but I've discussed elsewhere, I never cared for any of XII's characters nearly as much as I cared about Ramza.

Vagrant Story sounds promising, but the battle system has prevented me from getting very far. But I can't tell if its bad or if I just suck at it. Both are entirely possible
__________________


hitoshura wrote: Don't belittle my peoples, bitch. We work hard and we do what we're told. And might possibly be Scottish.
ultima espio wrote: I'm not sure if it was a BOMB, it could have been MAKO, KING, BEST, or ORBS.
ForceStealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2009   #11
Neo Bahamut
Default

hitoshura wrote: I think it was that fight at the end of Chapter 3 where you have to use Ramza on his own. (You know the one I mean. Because I don't remember what the guy was called.) I remember levelling up for that, which probably what caused it. I just wish I could find some weak random enemies to go level up with/special characters so I won't have to bother, because I enjoyed it and would like to see how it ends.
That battle's a lot easier than it sounds. You can win it with Ramza's squire abilities. It's a bit tricky, because of how much Wiegraf will rape you with his Holy Sword abilities, but if you use focus & tailwind a bunch of times, you'll have a Ramza who takes 20 turns in a row & does 999 damage per strike. Insta-win against Wiegraf, & Belias will only take a few hits.

ForceStealer pretty much voices my opinion on the rest of this shit. Although, I speak with far more disdain about XII. Which is odd, because I can remember defending it, way back when. But then, I started to get out of Rabanastre, & started going, "WTF is this shit?" to everything. Particularly the Espers.
Neo Bahamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2009   #12
The Joker
Default

FFTA2GotR wasn't too bad. FFTWotL was good. It was nice to be able to play FFT again...since the only other copy I have access to, is a burned copy, and my modded PSX has defentely seen better days. >.<
__________________
I hate Thunderbluff...you can't find a good burger anywhere.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2009   #13
Masamune
Default

Neo Bahamut wrote: Why does it never get targeted for bitching like the Compilation?
Because it isn't as popular as FFVII?


Here's my two cents -

FFXII: Superb. One of the most complete and engrossing Final Fantasy games of the series. It reinvented the franchise, installed a seamless battle system, and produced a plot which doesn't insult the audience.

FFT: Never played it. Seriously. The original never made it to Europe, and I don't own or want a PSP, so I've missed out there.

FFXII - RW: I don't think they knew what kind of system they wanted to implement and got stuck between two. And it's easy to get zergrushed. By licensing it to Nintendo, they also dumbed down the plot.

FFT A2: Haven't played it, and I played the first one without ever finishing it. It felt bland to me, and I'm usually a fan of tactical RPGs.
Masamune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2009   #14
Neo Bahamut
Default

FFXII: Superb. One of the most complete and engrossing Final Fantasy games of the series. It reinvented the franchise, installed a seamless battle system, and produced a plot which doesn't insult the audience.
I disagree entirely. But, I'll stick to the facts while I bitch:

1) It didn't reinvent the franchise. FFXIII seems to have gone back to ATB.

2) The battle system wasn't seamless. There were a LOT of problems with it. Everything from gambits to Espers to Quickenings to the fact that a T-rex could bite you while ten feet away had some sort of bug in it. This is to be expected from an experimental fighting system, I'm just saying that it was hardly without flaw. Many people prefer other battle systems to it.

3) I felt insulted by the plot. I kept asking myself, "...Why?" Like, for instance, Vayne is essentially a good guy. His goals are noble. And he randomly kills his relatives. That seemed to have been done JUST so you could hate him as a villain. It doesn't fit.

FFT: Never played it. Seriously. The original never made it to Europe, and I don't own or want a PSP, so I've missed out there.
A damn shame.
Neo Bahamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2009   #15
Masamune
Default

Neo Bahamut wrote: 1) It didn't reinvent the franchise. FFXIII seems to have gone back to ATB.
It reinvented the franchise at the time, instead of sticking with the usual combat system.

Neo Bahamut wrote: 2) The battle system wasn't seamless. There were a LOT of problems with it. Everything from gambits to Espers to Quickenings to the fact that a T-rex could bite you while ten feet away had some sort of bug in it. This is to be expected from an experimental fighting system, I'm just saying that it was hardly without flaw. Many people prefer other battle systems to it.
I don't know if that's poor programming or rather to avoid evading combat too easily. I never had a problem with it.

What's up with Quickenings?

Espers, as I've said before, are to be used tactically whereas in previous games they're mainly at your disposal for cheap shots.

Neo Bahamut wrote: 3) I felt insulted by the plot. I kept asking myself, "...Why?" Like, for instance, Vayne is essentially a good guy. His goals are noble. And he randomly kills his relatives. That seemed to have been done JUST so you could hate him as a villain. It doesn't fit.
Seriously? It's self-explanatory why Vayne first murdered his brothers and then his father. There's nothing random about it whatsoever. Vayne wants hegemony for himself, but his own flesh and blood were standing in his way, therefore he removed them.

Vayne's goals were essentially noble, but his methods were still cunning and merciless. He's a villain as good as any.

Last edited by Masamune; 07/05/2009 at 01:46 PM.
Masamune is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
Frostwave (07/06/2009), Madame Mayor (07/05/2009)
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:17 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.