The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Topical > Gaming

Gaming Discuss all things gaming in this subsection.

Old 03/04/2018   #16
Literally Who?

I could have sworn I read early on they wanted Magus proper to be in CC but decided against it since it really wouldn't work out at all in the context of the two games and just renamed the character they were working on to Guile.

If my memory isn't fucking with me it really is pretty odd that they would go back on that decision. But yeah I agree making that ending was pretty awful of them.
Literally Who? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/04/2018   #17
The Twilight Mexican

Am I the only one who loves that they finally fixed it?

Masato Kato always wanted it, but they ended up not having the time/resources to properly finish it. Guile even still has dialogue for that sub-plot, and Lucca's letter (SPOILER) asks whether Janus is there with Kid as she reads it.

If I understand correctly, the scuttled "Chrono Break" project was also supposed to address it all, but then that never got the resources it needed to even be developed. The extra ending for the DS version was just righting a cosmic injustice.
Thanked by 3:
Literally Who? (03/04/2018), Shademp (03/04/2018), X-SOLDIER (03/05/2018)
Old 03/04/2018   #18
Literally Who?

Ahh I didn't know it was more of a time resources thing. I legitimately thought they last second opted out due to story/lore issues.

With that thought process in mind it was more of an implementation issue for me that irked me.
If he was meant to be Magus it just felt so half assed , they didn't make him a more "primary" character in the cast and the path to get him is very easy to miss, especially for a first play through where the Pierre path almost feels like the only way in if you don't explore Termina thoroughly and don't run into Nikki and Guile.

After that he gets relegated to just being basically a battle member and doesn't play into the story at all. Even characters like Korcha end up being more of an impact to the plot.

So with me thinking all along that he was scrapped and Guile was hastily cobbled together due to them purposefully choosing not to have Magus in due to story issues (rather than time/money) it felt really weird seeing them come back around and say "Oh yeah he's Magus after all" it almost felt like a retcon.

If they really are righting a wrong it definitely does change the context completely though.
Literally Who? is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
The Twilight Mexican (03/04/2018), X-SOLDIER (03/05/2018)
Old 03/04/2018   #19
Omega

CC was based on Radical Dreamers, which DID have that plot point, but it was removed, and then they added stuff to clearly indicate that they aren't the same person. I prefer it that way (Magil and Gil).
Old 03/04/2018   #20
The Twilight Mexican

What indicates they aren't the same person?
Thanked by:
X-SOLDIER (03/05/2018)
Old 03/05/2018   #21
X-SOLDIER

Here's pretty much everything you could want one way or another:
• https://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Guile.html
• https://www.chronocompendium.com/Ter...identity).html

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

Shademp – on the subject of my seemingly boundless optimism wrote: After Ungoliant had sucked the light from the trees Telperion and Laurelin, she found that there was a third tree but whose light was too potent and immortal for her to absorb. Thusly, Ungoliant left Valinor in tears for she could not absorb the light of the tree named X-SOLDIER.

#TotzCanon

~ | G+ | Facebook | Tumblr | Twitter | DA | TLS | FFOF | FF | SCL | KC | CC | ~
X-SOLDIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/05/2018   #22
Omega

The Twilight Mexican wrote: What indicates they aren't the same person?
I've read a ton of FAQs and guides and so on for this game (I started writing one at one point), and the best one (imo) was written by gamefaqs user ToastyFrog. At any rate, I've seen a few sources (I'll copy some into spoiler tags below) speak further on this.

(SPOILER)
ToastyFrog's Flashback FAQ wrote: d. IS GUILE ACTUALLY MAGUS?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Probably not. However, according to Andrew Vestal (andrewv@thegia.com),
in Radical Dreamers (the text-adventure from which Chrono Cross derives some
of its story) the Guile character was named "Gil." He was a masked mage with
long white hair and at the end of the game, you discovered he was actually
Mahou (Magus) looking for Sara (Schala). Obviously, this was changed for the
revised game for a number of reasons; but Guile does indeed resemble Magus - a
powerful black mage with long white hair who floats as he moves. Their
personalities seem a bit different, though, with Guile seeming much more
gregarious than Magus. Additionally, their ages don't seem to match up - Guile
is 27, and Magus would probably be older by this point. Good guesswork,
though. As a side note, Guile was called "Alf" in the Japanese game - similar
to Janus' (Jacky's) cat Alfador. I think it's a mind game by Square. (A NOTE:
Radical Dreamer's Gil character is officially named "Magil" in English, based
on the text in Chronopolis from the alternate-reality memoirs. Further means
by which to debunk the myth)

CB!'s Character FAQ wrote: 13. Is Guile who I think he is..?

Depends, who you do think he is? Guile is similar to a character named Gil
from Radical Dreamers (see above), whom at the end of the game, was revealed
to be Magus, who'd been searching for Schala. However, while there are several
pieces of evidence pointing to Guile's being Magus in Chrono Cross (the long
hair, the Black/Shadow affiliation, the floating when he runs, etc), it's never
explicitly stated that he IS Magus. So he's probably not.

It also bears meantioning that Guile's name in the Japanese Chrono Cross was
Alf (A'ru'fu), perhaps a clever jab at Magus/Janus' cat Alfador, whose fur is
the same color as Guile's hair. Coincidence? At any rate, along with the
Chronopolis RD text that refers to "Magil", not "Guile", this pretty well
disproves the Magus/Magil/Gil/Guile theory...

He's only mentioned in CC in Lucca's letter to Kid, but they're definitely not the same person. (thought they were originally intended to be)
Old 03/19/2018   #23
Shademp

YouTube Video
Shademp is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
Tetsujin (03/19/2018), X-SOLDIER (03/19/2018)
Old 04/03/2018   #24
X-SOLDIER

Looks like it might be getting the help it needs: http://steamcommunity.com/games/6138...33167148114465

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

Shademp – on the subject of my seemingly boundless optimism wrote: After Ungoliant had sucked the light from the trees Telperion and Laurelin, she found that there was a third tree but whose light was too potent and immortal for her to absorb. Thusly, Ungoliant left Valinor in tears for she could not absorb the light of the tree named X-SOLDIER.

#TotzCanon

Thanked by:
Shademp (04/03/2018)
Old 04/11/2018   #25
ForceStealer

Chrono Trigger PC Looks Way Better Now

Good job, Square. Now FFs V and VI, please. That's not to sound ungrateful, though. I'll probably pick this up now just to encourage it

hitoshura wrote: Don't belittle my peoples, bitch. We work hard and we do what we're told. And might possibly be Scottish.
ultima espio wrote: I'm not sure if it was a BOMB, it could have been MAKO, KING, BEST, or ORBS.
ForceStealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 3:
Cthulhu (04/12/2018), Shademp (04/11/2018), X-SOLDIER (04/11/2018)
Old 05/16/2018   #26
Shademp

Chrono Trigger on Steam gets updated with a new battle UI
Shademp is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 4:
ForceStealer (05/16/2018), Minato (05/16/2018), Theozilla (05/16/2018), X-SOLDIER (05/17/2018)
Old 05/16/2018   #27
leadmyskeptic

I have never played either of these games. Chrono Trigger I've at least seen some scenes of (actually I believe I played through the first few time jumps on emulator) at friend's places. All I really remember about CC is like, an evil....leopard dude?

Just felt the need to confess that, lol.

Right now Persona 5 is kicking my ass, but once I'm done, I was either gonna move on to the FFX PS4 Remaster (which I still haven't played), or possibly one of these...most likely "Trigger", as I hear that's the undisputed classic. If so, what is the best way to play? I dunno if you guys are squeamish about 'promoting' emulation, but for the sake of that route, lets just say I own the physical cartridge. Is that the way to go? Does the STEAM version offer anything significant?

EDIT: I've been reading up on the 'graphics' controversy, and watching corresponding videos...while I think there's no QUESTION that the option for 'original' graphics should've been present from the start (I feel the same about including Japanese audio tracks, or FFX Remaster's 'Original Music' option), I'm having a hard time seeing just why the high-res graphics are terrible. I've been trying to look at just the opening 'town fair' scene in videos side-by-side, and as opposed to the more blatantly 're-constructed' sprites/animations of ports for games like FF6, this looks more like...uh...just really really cleaned up SNES sprites. But I'm really big on having the first experience be the right one. What are your guys opinions on all this?

Last edited by leadmyskeptic; 05/16/2018 at 07:30 PM.
leadmyskeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/16/2018   #28
ForceStealer

Shademp wrote: Chrono Trigger on Steam gets updated with a new battle UI

An honest-to-goodness battle window?! Thank the Lord. Why can't all the crappy mobile ports get this? I despise those touch screen menus.

hitoshura wrote: Don't belittle my peoples, bitch. We work hard and we do what we're told. And might possibly be Scottish.
ultima espio wrote: I'm not sure if it was a BOMB, it could have been MAKO, KING, BEST, or ORBS.
ForceStealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
Shademp (05/16/2018), X-SOLDIER (05/17/2018)
Old 05/17/2018   #29
X-SOLDIER

leadmyskeptic wrote: I've been reading up on the 'graphics' controversy, and watching corresponding videos...while I think there's no QUESTION that the option for 'original' graphics should've been present from the start (I feel the same about including Japanese audio tracks, or FFX Remaster's 'Original Music' option), I'm having a hard time seeing just why the high-res graphics are terrible. I've been trying to look at just the opening 'town fair' scene in videos side-by-side, and as opposed to the more blatantly 're-constructed' sprites/animations of ports for games like FF6, this looks more like...uh...just really really cleaned up SNES sprites. But I'm really big on having the first experience be the right one. What are your guys opinions on all this?
Some of the issues were around backgrounds being broken and shoddy looking and not meeting up properly. Overall, there are a lot of little things where there's care put into the depiction of pixelated sprites that get blended together awkwardly in the updated graphics version where they look like muddy watercolour interpretations, rather than crisp depictions of what's displayed – and even that effect was very inconsistently applied, sometimes leaving the pixelated things, sometimes not.

The world map screenshot comparisons in this article with the town, forest, & boat are a good example of why people were annoyed by it: https://www.vg247.com/2018/03/01/chr...-classic-game/

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

#TotzCanon

Thanked by 2:
ForceStealer (05/17/2018), leadmyskeptic (05/18/2018)
Old 05/18/2018   #30
leadmyskeptic

Aha! Thanks, that actually does give me a way better idea of what the concern was than most of the screenshots/descriptions I've been reading. It wasn't that I disagreed with the general dissent, it was more one of those weird things where you're...not even sure what the two sides really are? Haha. Seems almost like what happened here (and presumably with FFVI as well) was almost like a LITERAL version of the way people talk about censored/edited/recut films etc...achieving 'smoothness' at the sacrifice of subtleties and artistry. Kind of a shame they couldn't have done a proper 'upscale' (if I'm using my terminology correctly)
leadmyskeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
X-SOLDIER (05/18/2018)