The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Compilation of Final Fantasy VII > Final Fantasy VII

Final Fantasy VII All events from the 1997 classic RPG, with which it all began.

Old 05/27/2018   #91
Minato

https://youtu.be/rCS7HQOs1mU?t=14m4s

Aerith indeed doesn't state outright that Zack was her boyfriend or that were dating in the original japanese, similarly when Zack and Cloud are on the truck heading for Midgar, Zack doesn't use pronouns that make it clear he is there to see one person specifically either.

Zack still wrote a letter to his parents to tell her about a girl he met though, it just doesn't look like originally Zack and Aerith's relationship had advanced to the stage depicted in Crisis Core, leaving them both to downplay their feelings when bringing it up with Cloud so as to not needlessly spoil their chances to get with the blonde.
Minato is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 3:
Mr. Ite (05/27/2018), The Twilight Mexican (05/27/2018), X-SOLDIER (05/27/2018)
Old 05/27/2018   #92
Obsidian Fire

There's also the chance that at the time of FFVII's development, the devs hadn't decided what kind of relationship Zack and Aerith were to have yet. It might not have been until AC or CC that they decided that yes, Zack and Aerith were going to be a couple. There's a lot of things in the OG that are like that.
T@ctic (05/28/2018), The Twilight Mexican (05/28/2018), Theozilla (05/27/2018), X-SOLDIER (05/30/2018)
Old 05/27/2018   #93
Theozilla

Chewbaka wrote:
YouTube Video

so i came across this video today and was immediately "triggered", to quote the user literally. however, when he referred to the translation video series, i remember seeing that already, and i don't remember anything like that being said in the video. or, maybe it's just because i don't remember. either way, i'm confused....:T
Check the end of the first page and most of the second page of this thread, there are quite a number of posts discussing that translation difference/revelation, and what the creative narrative intention at the time might have been taking in account other OG material (such as Zack's letter to his parents, and his truck conversion with Cloud) and later Compilation directions.
The Twilight Mexican (05/28/2018), X-SOLDIER (05/30/2018)
Old 05/27/2018   #94
T@ctic

thank you everyone for the information. i will check it out!
Thanked by 4:
Minato (05/27/2018), The Twilight Mexican (05/28/2018), Theozilla (05/27/2018), X-SOLDIER (05/30/2018)
Old 05/28/2018   #95
T@ctic

okay so watching the translation again, i'm assuming that this has something to do with zack being one of the late created characters (unless i have that wrong). aerith was just to have this mysterious potential love interest that was in soldier who resembled cloud, but then that was changed to zack at the end of the game when cloud's memories were revealed?

i don't see how this will affect the RM, though. clearly CC solidified any vagueness in VII, so the most i will anticipate is either aerith using clearer words or a flashback/memory, one that doesn't give much away of course.

anyway, regardless of what i think and/or feel, this was pretty interesting to (re) learn about. i don't blame the translators at all since it's '97 after all and translating was more "what letters can fit in with how many kanji were in the box while making half sense" than making everything flow perfectly. however, due to this, there will be a LOT in the game that fans could mistake as the new content when it's just been correctly translated...lol
Thanked by 2:
Theozilla (05/28/2018), X-SOLDIER (05/30/2018)
Old 06/29/2018   #96
T@ctic

(SPOILER) ho boy, i came to watch the 9th part and so many people in the comments rejoicing that "zerith is dead* (yes, zerith is dead, zack and aerith are no longer with the living ) and many proofs of clerith. disappointing that they rely on the small knowledge and connection of zack and aerith in '97 instead of the game that clarified it in CC. so, even if S/E didn't want to make zerith in '97, that choice was definitely changed in '07. but i don't want to make this an LTD convo, it's just that zack is my favourite character in FF. the way people ignore his importance in cloud and aerith's life is so frustrating, which is pretty ironic now that i think about it because that's the major point that connects them - not their love for each other but for a best friend and a lover.

EDIT:okay, so i ended up basically repeating the same thing from my post above. but I'M ANGRY GUYS ;_;
Thanked by 2:
Minato (08/05/2018), Theozilla (08/05/2018)
Old 08/03/2018   #97
X-SOLDIER

YouTube Video

https://kotaku.com/what-going-on-a-d...ese-1828094269

IT'S STILL GOING!!!

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

Shademp – on the subject of my seemingly boundless optimism wrote: After Ungoliant had sucked the light from the trees Telperion and Laurelin, she found that there was a third tree but whose light was too potent and immortal for her to absorb. Thusly, Ungoliant left Valinor in tears for she could not absorb the light of the tree named X-SOLDIER.

#TotzCanon

~ | G+ | Facebook | Tumblr | Twitter | DA | TLS | FFOF | FF | SCL | KC | CC | ~
X-SOLDIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 9:
Alex Strife (08/04/2018), BforBrigitta (08/03/2018), Fangu (08/03/2018), ForceStealer (08/05/2018), Lex (08/04/2018), Shademp (08/03/2018), T@ctic (08/08/2018), The Twilight Mexican (08/04/2018), Theozilla (08/05/2018)
Old 08/05/2018   #98
Theozilla

T@ctic wrote: (SPOILER) ho boy, i came to watch the 9th part and so many people in the comments rejoicing that "zerith is dead* (yes, zerith is dead, zack and aerith are no longer with the living ) and many proofs of clerith. disappointing that they rely on the small knowledge and connection of zack and aerith in '97 instead of the game that clarified it in CC. so, even if S/E didn't want to make zerith in '97, that choice was definitely changed in '07. but i don't want to make this an LTD convo, it's just that zack is my favourite character in FF. the way people ignore his importance in cloud and aerith's life is so frustrating, which is pretty ironic now that i think about it because that's the major point that connects them - not their love for each other but for a best friend and a lover.

EDIT:okay, so i ended up basically repeating the same thing from my post above. but I'M ANGRY GUYS ;_;
Well the @108 dude did also admit in the 9th video
that the original Japanese script being comparatively more vague about Zack and Aerith’s romantic relationship doesn’t automatically equal evidence against it (i.e. a lack of evidence doesn’t not equal evidence proving the contrary), and makes clear in a big spinnig hashtag that he has a Cloud x Aerith bias/preference. Basically because the OG in the original Japanese painted Zack and Aerith’s romantic relationship more vaguely, he prefers to interpret it as having been unrequited, in spite of later entries (or additions to the OG, like Zack’s letter to his parents) explicitly clarifying otherwise (based on his tweets it sounds like he isn’t a huge fan of Crisis Core, or at least it’s fans: https://twitter.com/108/status/948982327165714434?s=21).

EDIT; Skimmed through the newest 10th video, it’s kinda amusing/charming how unabashedly Tim Rogers loves “#Clerith”.

Last edited by Theozilla; 08/09/2018 at 01:01 AM.
Theozilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
T@ctic (08/08/2018)
Old 08/05/2018   #99
ForceStealer

On twitter he's been saying he was working on the last two videos, but that they'd both be extra-long.

Can't watch it just yet, but I'm very eager to

hitoshura wrote: Don't belittle my peoples, bitch. We work hard and we do what we're told. And might possibly be Scottish.
ultima espio wrote: I'm not sure if it was a BOMB, it could have been MAKO, KING, BEST, or ORBS.
ForceStealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/06/2018   #100
Mr. Ite

but Disc 2 is where the localization needs the most clarification. So many lines of dialogue are just... wtf.
Mr. Ite is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 3:
ForceStealer (08/08/2018), Lex (08/06/2018), Theozilla (08/06/2018)
Old 08/08/2018   #101
T@ctic

Theozilla wrote:
Well the @108 dude did also admit in the 9th video
that the original Japanese script being comparatively more vague about Zack and Aerith’s romantic relationship doesn’t automatically equal evidence against it (i.e. a lack of evidence doesn’t not equal evidence proving the contrary), and makes clear in a big spinnig hashtag that he has a Cloud x Aerith bias/preference. Basically because the OG in the original Japanese painted Zack and Aerith’s romantic relationship more vaguely, he prefers to interpret it as having been unrequited, in spite of later entries explicitly clarifying otherwise (based on his tweets it sounds like he isn’t a huge fan of Crisis Core, or at least it’s fans).
oh okay, if he is in agreement with the fans' views on CC that makes a tad bit more sense. unfortunate CC still isn't getting the love it deserves

EDIT; Skimmed through the newest 10th video, it’s kinda amusing/charming how unabashedly Tim Rogers loves “#Clerith”.
he's gonna be shook when the remake comes out
Thanked by 2:
Theozilla (08/09/2018), X-SOLDIER (08/08/2018)
Old 08/08/2018   #102
ForceStealer

Watched it yesterday, awesome, fascinating stuff once again. I really like where he surmises things about why the translator did certain things, and even praises him for stuff like going hog-wild with Cid's dialogue. Watching this thing always makes me want to interview VII's localizer, haha.

It is a shame we'll be finished with just disc 2, but I understand these take a crazy amount of time and he's already given us more than was originally planned.

Maybe we could get a bonus episode one day covering just the Lifestream sequence when Cloud's head gets sorted out, that's the disc 2 bit I would most like to see.

hitoshura wrote: Don't belittle my peoples, bitch. We work hard and we do what we're told. And might possibly be Scottish.
ultima espio wrote: I'm not sure if it was a BOMB, it could have been MAKO, KING, BEST, or ORBS.
ForceStealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
Theozilla (08/09/2018), X-SOLDIER (08/08/2018)
Old 08/08/2018   #103
Random Nobody

T@ctic wrote:
he's gonna be shook when the remake comes out
I don't see why. If it's anything like the Compilation and the general trend towards the status quo, it'll err on the side of ambiguity.
Random Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
BforBrigitta (08/09/2018)
Old 08/08/2018   #104
T@ctic

Random Nobody wrote: I don't see why. If it's anything like the Compilation and the general trend towards the status quo, it'll err on the side of ambiguity.
it's pretty much guaranteed that it won't be vauge at all, even if we don't have any information on how the remake goes. it won't make much sense for CC to work that hard on zerith and VII not include it in someway. i mean come on, the last addition to the compilation still found a small way to include zerith, and even that was strong.

honestly, originally it wasn't vauge in the first place but that's imo.

Last edited by T@ctic; 08/08/2018 at 08:23 PM.
T@ctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
Theozilla (08/09/2018), X-SOLDIER (08/09/2018)
Old 08/09/2018   #105
Random Nobody

I don't think, textually, it was all that vague either -- and then the Compilation clearly does slant a certain direction, even if it's never explicit. That's what I mean when I say "if it's anything like the Compilation": there's a repetition of themes and character arcs present, which -- by the writers' own admission -- exists because they don't know how to evolve the characters and their relationships without making them "unrecognisable" to the audience. Sephiroth keeps coming back for no good reason (and is now obsessed with Cloud for purposes beyond explanation). Tifa is not allowed to win a fight because she has to get her ass beat so they can do a call back to the well scene. The LTD can't be explicitly resolved because of the romance semi-mechanic in the first game.

CC is good and well, but is a prequel, and it technically doesn't have any bearing on the relevant events of the Original barring all the shitty retcons. And the Remake isn't even in the same continuity. I don't think they're just going to throw the developments in CC away except for maybe Genesis (WE CAN HOPE), but wrt to the LTD I'll be shocked if they don't play up every eyeblink that fans have been fighting over for the past 20 years whilst still leaving enough room for deniability.
Random Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
BforBrigitta (08/09/2018), leadmyskeptic (08/10/2018)