The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Site, Forums, Staff & Projects > Forum News & Information

Forum News & Information News and issues concerning the forums go here

View Poll Results: Should the Thanks system continue?
Yes. 24 60.00%
Yes, but be restricted in certain sections (Discuss). 12 30.00%
No. 4 10.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04/16/2016   #106
Octo

X-SOLDIER wrote: Since there isn't an option for it in the polls, I am genuinely curious about how the folks who're bothered by the Thanks system feel about having the capability to disable it for themselves, since Octo was kind enough to show that it is a thing that can be done.
It wernt me though mun, it was JDBedford128 who come up with it. I don't want to be stealing no glory here innit?

http://thelifestream.net/forums/show...0&postcount=42

Tidy!
Octo is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 8:
Dawnbreaker (04/16/2016), Joe (04/16/2016), Kermitu Kleric Katie (04/17/2016), Lex (04/16/2016), Obsidian Fire (04/16/2016), Shademp (04/16/2016), The Twilight Mexican (04/16/2016), X-SOLDIER (04/16/2016)
Old 04/16/2016   #107
Chloe Frazer

X-SOLDIER wrote:
Joe wrote:
X wrote: If anything, I think that the Debate section should have a SRS DEBATE BZNS subsection where Thanks is disabled, and we can move threads into it as needed, so that those discussions can specifically be had in a vacuum of sorts.
I really like this idea. How would the decision be made to move a thread to such a section?
Well, how's about we go through that section, grab titles of the bigger or generally more heated Debate type threads. Then rather than decide what goes in, just have a discussion about which ones don't belong (in a new location, since this thread is busy with the main Thanks stuff), and once that's done, we'll move the relevant threads into our "Blind Debate" section.

X
The Presidential thread, the abortion thread, the guns right thread come to mind.
Old 04/16/2016   #108
X-SOLDIER

I've made the SubForum (which Yop will still need to do magic on), and I'm gonna make a new thread for talking about the posts that belong there as soon as I'm out of bed and on a computer because fuck searching for a million threads to make a master poast on my mobile.

Also, good morning, everyone.

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

Shademp – on the subject of my seemingly boundless optimism wrote: After Ungoliant had sucked the light from the trees Telperion and Laurelin, she found that there was a third tree but whose light was too potent and immortal for her to absorb. Thusly, Ungoliant left Valinor in tears for she could not absorb the light of the tree named X-SOLDIER.

#TotzCanon

~ | G+ | Facebook | Tumblr | Twitter | DA | TLS | FFOF | FF | SCL | KC | CC | ~
X-SOLDIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 3:
Dawnbreaker (04/16/2016), Obsidian Fire (04/16/2016), Octo (04/16/2016)
Old 04/16/2016   #109
Jason Tandro

Jason Tandro wrote: To say nothing of illogical superiority... now if you'll excuse me I have to go strain spaghetti on a turtle while Careless Whisper plays.
If anybody cares, I wasn't joking about that...

YouTube Video

Also I third what X and Tres said. Either pop it out of the debate forum or give the option to remove it to the user base.
Jason Tandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 7:
Airling (04/19/2016), Channy (04/17/2016), Dawnbreaker (04/16/2016), Kermitu Kleric Katie (04/17/2016), Obsidian Fire (04/16/2016), Shademp (04/16/2016), X-SOLDIER (04/16/2016)
Old 04/16/2016   #110
Chloe Frazer

X-SOLDIER wrote: Also, good morning, everyone.

X
Good morning, Chrono!
Old 04/16/2016   #111
Channy

Dang. I haven't had a moment to chime in on this and it's now 8 pages and sounds like it's already resolving itself. Damn

So, why do you come here?
Same as you, I think. I've been here a lot...
You must have a lot going on your mind, I suppose.
Yeah, but I'd rather have nothing for a change. How do you do it?
Well, it comes with practice. I can think of nothing.
I do not feel the need to occupy my mind with nonsense, just to avoid thinking about what really matters.

Channy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 5:
Kermitu Kleric Katie (04/17/2016), Minato (04/16/2016), Obsidian Fire (04/16/2016), Shademp (04/16/2016), The Twilight Mexican (04/16/2016)
Old 04/16/2016   #112
Ghost X

Dawnbreaker wrote: 1. Whoa, Ghost, you can't make claims without evidence. Isn't that what you told me? You're saying I'm insulting and intimidating people, yet you present no evidence to prove your point. If I unintentionally upset people by my comments, then I'm sorry. At the same time, I refuse to do more than that without you presenting evidence that I DID insult and intimidate people.
I said when you insult and insinuate things about people being anonymous that comes across as a dick move. Not that people were actually insulted by your insulting and insinuating, etc. There's a difference.

2. And speaking of insulting -- I want an apology from you. Calling me a dick is totally wrong. You were the one saying we should be civil and welcoming of discussion and now you've done the except opposite. I understand you're probably feeling a lot of pressure right now and I've been your friend for a long time so I empathize with your situation. But that was still wrong of you.
Again, like I said to JT, I did not call you a dick. I'm quite sure you are not one. I will not apologise about how I feel in regards to your opinion about people acting anonymously though. You are wrong on that particular issue.

3. I respect the desire for anonymity especially in cases where the defense is on the side of the minority. I get that. But honestly, Ghost, it's not a solution to skirt around the issue, etc. and it's just incredibly frustrating for the rest of us to have to abandon something we enjoy just because one or two people who won't talk about it (except through you) are upset by it. Starling and others have made it clear that we'd like to resolve whatever the greater issue is, but we've been rebuffed. I'm not sure what else we can do...
I would actually be disappointed if anything happens given the poll results ao far, with a majority of people saying they're happy the way things are. Beyond an opt-out thing, be it specific or universal, which might make everyone happy.

4. As Tres, X and several now have said, we're all confused why several reasonable solutions have been presented but still ignored. That makes me think there are deeper issues at hand here, but of course, without knowing more, I cannot say.
I can apologise for that one. It seems people are still confused about things, but I'm not sure if it is related to what I said. I think the poll at least implies what solutions should be seen as legit, and discussed.

5. Lastly, I'm still totally confused by this situation. All I have so far is a bunch of unverified claims about a bunch of stuff. You said it yourself, Ghost: "Don't follow me, follow the evidence". Since I don't have any, either way, then I'm just gonna say that I don't know what the fuck is going on.
Well, hopefully this post has gone towards cleaning up some of this confusion?

@JT: Okay, not so much super position, but super-position or superposition. Schrodinger stuff.

2017 1st Runner-Up -- Member You'd Most Want to Meet.

2017 1st Runner-Up -- Best Voice.

2017 2nd Place Winner -- Most Likely To Back Out Of A Fight But Remain... Victorious.
Ghost X is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Obsidian Fire (04/16/2016)
Old 04/16/2016   #113
Jason Tandro

@Ghost: You mean like doggy style? That's a super position.

Also, if I can offer a bit of advice - Dawn isn't asking you to apologize for holding an opinion but rather asking you to apologize for expressing your opinion in a way that - whether you intended to or not - came off as unnecessarily hostile. I don't mind you sticking to your views, you're entitled, but I feel you might be making this more than it needs to be.

Last edited by Jason Tandro; 04/16/2016 at 05:13 PM.
Thanked by 5:
Channy (04/17/2016), Dawnbreaker (04/16/2016), Kermitu Kleric Katie (04/17/2016), Obsidian Fire (04/16/2016), The Twilight Mexican (04/16/2016)
Old 04/16/2016   #114
X-SOLDIER

The Sub-Forum is up (though we'll still have to wait for Yop to do the magic before it is considered "running"). Additionally I've made a list of threads that're gonna be moved there, that I'd appreciate everyone checking it out.

At this point, I'd like folks to voice any opinions on things NOT to move that appear in the current list, as well as if you have any concerns about the setup of things.

http://thelifestream.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18625

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

Shademp – on the subject of my seemingly boundless optimism wrote: After Ungoliant had sucked the light from the trees Telperion and Laurelin, she found that there was a third tree but whose light was too potent and immortal for her to absorb. Thusly, Ungoliant left Valinor in tears for she could not absorb the light of the tree named X-SOLDIER.

#TotzCanon

Thanked by 6:
Dawnbreaker (04/16/2016), Flare (04/16/2016), Jason Tandro (04/16/2016), Obsidian Fire (04/16/2016), Octo (04/16/2016), Shademp (04/16/2016)
Old 04/16/2016   #115
Dawnbreaker

While I don't agree with the decision being made, I agree with the right for people to make it. If removing the Thanks from the debates section (or creating another forum where it no longer exists) is what people want, then so be it. I'm just glad that a resolution has been reached, whether it's to my liking or not.

Still, I'm disappointed that the bigger issue at hand (whatever it is) is not being dealt with, but again that's people's right. It is my opinion that band-aiding the situation simply leaves it to fester, but again, maybe I'm just not in the loop about things (god knows I've tried, though...) and it would make it worse to address it...

Lastly, to you, Ghost, if you're going to cling to semantics to avoid acknowledging your upsetting behavior, that's up to you. Just be aware that this has influenced my opinion of you.

edit: oh, yes, and basically what Jason said.

"I'll make you happy," said Life, "But first, I'll make you strong."

"You can do everything right and still lose. That is not weakness; that is Life." Jean-Luc Picard / Patrick Stewart

"It may well be that we will have to repent in this generation not merely for the vitriolic words and the violent actions of the bad people, but for the appalling silence and indifference of the good people." Martin Luthar King Jr.

Dawnbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 5:
Jason Tandro (04/16/2016), Kermitu Kleric Katie (04/17/2016), Obsidian Fire (04/16/2016), Starling (04/16/2016), The Twilight Mexican (04/16/2016)
Old 04/16/2016   #116
Cat Rage Room

This thread is a fine example of the fundamental limitations of democracy.
Cat Rage Room is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 7:
Airling (04/19/2016), Dawnbreaker (04/16/2016), Jason Tandro (04/16/2016), Kermitu Kleric Katie (04/17/2016), Obsidian Fire (04/16/2016), Octo (04/16/2016), The Twilight Mexican (04/16/2016)
Old 04/16/2016   #117
X-SOLDIER

Dawnbreaker wrote: While I don't agree with the decision being made, I agree with the right for people to make it. If removing the Thanks from the debates section is the what people want, then so be it. I'm just glad that a resolution has been reached, whether it's to my liking or not.

Also, I'm still disappointed that the bigger issue at hand (whatever it is) is not being dealt with, but again that's people's rights. It is my opinion that band-aiding the situation simply leaves it to fester, but again, maybe I'm just not in the loop about things (god knows I've tried, though...)and it would make it worse to address it...
I'm curious what you think is actually happening here, Dawn because you seem to be quite off base with what you're talking about vs. what's actually happening.

• The Debates section isn't having Thanks removed. We've made a brand new Sub-section that won't have it in place, and are discussing if there're any of the current debate threads that shouldn't be moved there.

• The main discussion of the issues with the Thanks system have determined that the majority of the forum likes the current implementation of it and so it's being left in place. Additionally, users have the capability to individually block the Thanks system, and currently we're standing at whether or not that is a viable solution to people who're bothered by it. If it's not, we'll discuss why when we get feedback.

• Other issues that stem from the potentially clique-y behaviours that can arise from a system like that are the responsibilities of the Community and the Staff to prevent, since the presence of lack of a Thanks system isn't going to change that.

There isn't a "band-aid" solution being implemented here. We've looked at the issue in 3 different capacities, and have individual solutions for them all that're (in my opinion) comprehensive and nuanced to the potential issues being discussed. If you don't think that's the case, I'd like to know why.

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

#TotzCanon

Thanked by 3:
Dawnbreaker (04/16/2016), Kermitu Kleric Katie (04/17/2016), The Twilight Mexican (04/16/2016)
Old 04/16/2016   #118
Jason Tandro

Dreamer wrote: This thread is a fine example of the fundamental limitations of democracy.
To horribly misquote some guy: "Democracy is the worst form of government in the world, except all the other ones."

But seriously that's the thing that will plague humanity for all time. Is it fair to side with the majority, to cater to the minority or find a compromise which will inevitably force both to make sacrifices?
Thanked by 4:
Dawnbreaker (04/16/2016), Kermitu Kleric Katie (04/17/2016), Obsidian Fire (04/16/2016), The Twilight Mexican (04/16/2016)
Old 04/16/2016   #119
Minato

Dawnbreaker wrote: While I don't agree with the decision being made, I agree with the right for people to make it. If removing the Thanks from the debates section (or creating another forum where it no longer exists) is what people want, then so be it. I'm just glad that a resolution has been reached, whether it's to my liking or not.

Still, I'm disappointed that the bigger issue at hand (whatever it is) is not being dealt with, but again that's people's right. It is my opinion that band-aiding the situation simply leaves it to fester, but again, maybe I'm just not in the loop about things (god knows I've tried, though...) and it would make it worse to address it...
Every solution we can arrive at is gonna be compromise. I doubt the anomymous guy's problem is massively different from the arguments Claymore and Fangu (among others) brought up on the first page(s).
Minato is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 3:
Kermitu Kleric Katie (04/17/2016), Obsidian Fire (04/16/2016), The Twilight Mexican (04/16/2016)
Old 04/16/2016   #120
Dawnbreaker

@X: See my updated post. You probably didn't see it before you created your post, so that's fair. I put in brackets the part about creating a new sub-section. I still don't agree with that, either, but that's my prerogative to not have to agree with it. Doesn't mean I'll stand in the way or anything; I just don't like it.

I actually rather like that people can block Thanks for themselves and think that should be the solution used, tbh. Since people will be using it, good, but I still think that a new sub-forum without Thanks is an extreme solution that is not resolving the bigger issue. Again, my right to not like it and other people's right to want it.

The reason why I feel it's a band-aid solution is that, as several others have stated in this thread, that IF (again, I don't know if it's the case or not since all I get is "people are unhappy but we can't say why") there's more to it than a simple few folks upset with not getting Thanked, perhaps that should be addressed?

I can't say I care enough to argue this further. People in general seemed satisfied with what's being done, so that's good enough for me.

"I'll make you happy," said Life, "But first, I'll make you strong."

"You can do everything right and still lose. That is not weakness; that is Life." Jean-Luc Picard / Patrick Stewart

"It may well be that we will have to repent in this generation not merely for the vitriolic words and the violent actions of the bad people, but for the appalling silence and indifference of the good people." Martin Luthar King Jr.

Dawnbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 6:
Kermitu Kleric Katie (04/17/2016), Kuroto (04/16/2016), Obsidian Fire (04/16/2016), Starling (04/16/2016), The Twilight Mexican (04/16/2016), X-SOLDIER (04/16/2016)