The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.


Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Topical > Gaming

Gaming Discuss all things gaming in this subsection.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 06/29/2017   #1
Yvnie
Default Nintendo is too childish, why do adults still play it?

Like i get some may like Mario. I mean who doesnt love Mario.

But i have hard time understanding an adult above 18 years old would play video games such as Kirby, and never outgrows that. Like how can an adult actually enjoy such game? You are literally in a rainbow world where everything is fantastic and eating up enemies, this is literally encouraging a fake reality where all problems are solved by eating your way out. How is that anyway inspiring to a full grown realistic adult.

I just dont get it.

This is why after Super Nintendo i never owned or cared for a Nintendo. Nintendo Wii may have been one exception, but after that i have only been playing Steam games or Xbox.
Yvnie is offline  
Old 06/29/2017   #2
Octo
Default

Fun is fun innit?

also
literally in a rainbow world where everything is fantastic
I fail to see the problem here.

also
this is literally encouraging a fake reality where all problems are solved by eating your way out. How is that anyway inspiring to a full grown realistic adult.
so by that logic what is Call of Duty encouraging? Metal Gear? Overwatch?

I'm making a prediction here, you're about to make a load of spammy topics and logical cul de sacs right? Cos that happens a lot. I hope I am wrong.

Also Hello.
__________________
BUY THINGS FROM ME I HAVE AN REDBUBBLE!

(Mostly Manics related things but some other stuff and more things being added all the time! <3

https://www.redbubble.com/people/rom...dropdown&asc=u
Octo is offline  
Thanked by 3:
Literally Who? (06/29/2017), Teioh (06/29/2017), The Twilight Mexican (06/30/2017)
Old 06/29/2017   #3
X-SOLDIER
Default

Yvnie wrote: Like how can an adult actually enjoy such game? You are literally in a rainbow world where everything is fantastic and eating up enemies, this is literally encouraging a fake reality where all problems are solved by eating your way out. How is that anyway inspiring to a full grown realistic adult.
Kirby is a videogame character in a fantasy world. It in NO WAY encourages anything into a real person's life anymore than GTA encourages people to go around murdering folk. Games of all types can be fun for what they are in there character and gameplay, regardless of their target demographic. Also, your statement of – "I mean who doesn't love Mario" can be applied to LITERALLY EVERY POSSIBLE EXAMPLE you'd try to come up with.
"I mean, who doesn't love Kirby?"

This is fundamentally the same argument about people not being able to enjoy, "Kid's shows" because they're over the age of 18. There's no merit to it whatsoever.

EDIT: Also, Metroid is a Nintendo game, so this isn't a platform-specific thing just because Nintendo has MORE iconically all-age classic characters than other platforms.





X
__________________
Cyclops. Is. Right.





…Xenomorphaux Pas…



Shademp – on the subject of my seemingly boundless optimism wrote: After Ungoliant had sucked the light from the trees Telperion and Laurelin, she found that there was a third tree but whose light was too potent and immortal for her to absorb. Thusly, Ungoliant left Valinor in tears for she could not absorb the light of the tree named X-SOLDIER.

#TotzCanon


~ | G+ | Facebook | Tumblr | Twitter | DA | TLS | FFOF | FF | SCL | KC | CC | ~
X-SOLDIER is offline  
Thanked by:
Teioh (06/29/2017)
Old 06/29/2017   #4
Jason Tandro
Default

This person seems familiar...

Jason Tandro is offline  
Thanked by 7:
Alex Strife (06/30/2017), Anemone (06/30/2017), Chloe Frazer (06/29/2017), Literally Who? (06/29/2017), Octo (06/29/2017), Teioh (06/29/2017), X-SOLDIER (06/29/2017)
Old 06/29/2017   #5
Literally Who?
Default

I for one live my life based on lessons learned in Donkey Kong Country.


You can get through a surprising amount of life obstacles by eating bananas and blasting out of barrels. It's how I got the down payment for my House
Literally Who? is offline  
Thanked by 5:
Anemone (06/30/2017), Flare (06/30/2017), Octo (06/29/2017), Teioh (06/29/2017), X-SOLDIER (06/29/2017)
Old 06/29/2017   #6
Yvnie
Default

I think i rushed a little. I think they are ok. I overreacted i think.
Yvnie is offline  
Thanked by 2:
Octo (06/29/2017), X-SOLDIER (06/29/2017)
Old 06/29/2017   #7
Jason Tandro
Default

Gabriel wrote: I for one live my life based on lessons learned in Donkey Kong Country.


You can get through a surprising amount of life obstacles by eating bananas and blasting out of barrels. It's how I got the down payment for my House
I learned that if the names on the credits look fake, it's probably not over yet. I also managed to not tell my friend about that one until he got to the final boss for the first time and then it scared the hell out of him and he had to start all over from the beginning of the fight.

He just turned to me and was like "You knew didn't you?"
Jason Tandro is offline  
Thanked by 4:
Literally Who? (06/29/2017), Octo (06/29/2017), Teioh (06/29/2017), X-SOLDIER (06/29/2017)
Old 06/29/2017   #8
Cat Rage Room
Default

You know what adults enjoy?

Whatever the fuck they want.
Cat Rage Room is offline  
Thanked by 6:
AvecAloes (06/29/2017), Dashell (07/03/2017), Hisako (07/02/2017), LicoriceAllsorts (06/30/2017), Mr. Ite (06/30/2017), The Mad King (06/30/2017)
Old 06/29/2017   #9
Yvnie
Default

But i for the most part cant get into lots of games. Like Chrono Trigger, apparently Japan LOVES this game. It sold about 2 million copies and somewhat less in USA. But i just couldnt understand why its so great. Like there is nothing, one bit that makes me believe its awesome.

With FF7, FF8, FF9 and FF10.. everything feels really natural. They are humans, they move their mouths, they interact with each other.

For example wouldnt you love seeing a maid actually move her hands and interact instead of walking on place while a text bubble pops up? Because i would, i dont know how old she is? How am i suppose to know? Is the stairs made of stone or rubber? I cannot tell.
Yvnie is offline  
Old 06/29/2017   #10
Yvnie
Default

Fascination wrote: You know what adults enjoy?

Whatever the fuck they want.
I enjoy the outdoors mostly.
Yvnie is offline  
Old 06/29/2017   #11
AvecAloes
Default

Yvnie wrote: With FF7, FF8, FF9 and FF10.. everything feels really natural. They are humans, they move their mouths, they interact with each other.
This
Is
Natural?

(big pictures are big)
__________________
IT CALLS TO ALL
AvecAloes is offline  
Thanked by 2:
Anemone (06/30/2017), Teioh (06/29/2017)
Old 06/29/2017   #12
Yvnie
Default

AvecAloes wrote:
Yvnie wrote: With FF7, FF8, FF9 and FF10.. everything feels really natural. They are humans, they move their mouths, they interact with each other.
This
Is
Natural?

(big pictures are big)
Well FF7 is very old. What i mean is they dont jerk their hands when they like swing swords etc.

I mean to be a game in 1997 being the first 3D final fantasy, its old but changing contrast and light settings on TV really is what makes me love it again. And its still great in my view. But basically, it just allows them being character, i dont have to look at story telling that i have zero clue about or imersion factor drops usually because they all look the same. Purple hair, pixels, the end. If you want a true fighting game that does include pixels but has real art when fighting, buy Shining Force 1 and 2 on Steam.

YouTube Video
Yvnie is offline  
Old 06/29/2017   #13
Jason Tandro
Default

^ That motorcycle FMV will always be 10/10 hype no matter how many years pass. the FF8 FMVs also hold up incredibly well!
Jason Tandro is offline  
Thanked by:
LicoriceAllsorts (06/30/2017)
Old 06/29/2017   #14
Octo
Default

Yeah well sounds like a problem you're having is with the graphics.

And to be fair it's easy for me who has been playing games since they looked like this:

to say that graphics are unimportant but I think it really depends what you are used to, and its a gradual process as graphics improve. And if you're not used to it then yeah I guess it is hard to make the adjustment.

I have huge problems with FF6 but not because of the graphics because of the lack of 8 directional movement. It fucking sucks.

Having said all that, sometimes it's best to look at an old game as you would a book, there are no pictures but the words give an impression and your mind does the rest, and I think that is also possible with older games if the story is engaging enough.
__________________
BUY THINGS FROM ME I HAVE AN REDBUBBLE!

(Mostly Manics related things but some other stuff and more things being added all the time! <3

https://www.redbubble.com/people/rom...dropdown&asc=u
Octo is offline  
Thanked by:
LicoriceAllsorts (06/30/2017)
Old 06/30/2017   #15
ChipNoir
Default

Yvnie wrote: Like i get some may like Mario. I mean who doesnt love Mario.

But i have hard time understanding an adult above 18 years old would play video games such as Kirby, and never outgrows that. Like how can an adult actually enjoy such game? You are literally in a rainbow world where everything is fantastic and eating up enemies, this is literally encouraging a fake reality where all problems are solved by eating your way out. How is that anyway inspiring to a full grown realistic adult.

I just dont get it.

This is why after Super Nintendo i never owned or cared for a Nintendo. Nintendo Wii may have been one exception, but after that i have only been playing Steam games or Xbox.
You sound dead inside.
ChipNoir is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:50 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.