The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Topical > Technology

Technology Discuss and welcome your new computer overlords.

Old 06/16/2018   #1
NERV Agent
Default Linux n00b. Please gentle.

After dealing with the nightmare of Windows 10, I've decided to finally switch to Linux.

Next week I'm finally gonna get my hands on my new Dell laptop that uses Ubuntu Linux 16.04.

But I got some questions, hopefully not too many as I hope to get the thing up and running in one week.

My most important question is: What is the best firewall, antivirus, and anti-spyware for this OS?

Also, how do I install programs that I downloaded from places other than the Ubuntu Software Centre? I know it involves a command line, but I doubt its the same Windows command line of "CD [directory]" "[installer].exe", etc. I've been looking up some YouTube videos and the only clue I have is "sudo" something.

Is WINE already included with this OS, or do I have to install it?

Also, are there built in media players into the OS already that let me listen to music and watch videos? If not, what Ubuntu Linux media players should I download and install?

I also plan on using VMware to run a Windows XP virtual machine as some sort of "training wheels" until I get used to Linux. Is it preferable to emulate the 32 bit or 64 bit version of Windows XP?
f a n c y (06/18/2018), Minato (06/16/2018)
Old 06/16/2018   #2
Cthulhu

Firewall is built-in, and there's no need for antivirus or anti-spyware as long as you don't randomly install random shit from the internet.

Most software packages outside the store will have an installer you can just double click, iirc it's dpkg or something? Others will ask you to add a repository to the store, which adds a bit of security to the thing.

IIRC you have to install it separately, but it should also be in the ubuntu store I'm sure - or have a simple installer.

Yes there are, however you may need to install some separate package to be able to play e.g. MP3 files - those are nonfree (e.g. patented) files and may not be installed by default for the purists. I'm fairly sure it'll ask you for that on first boot though.

64 bits should be fine, but, I'd avoid using XP if you can, it's 17 years old by now and has not been supported since 2009. Go for Windows 10 if you insist on keeping it around.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
NERV Agent (06/16/2018)
Old 06/16/2018   #3
NERV Agent

Should I bother installing security software for the Windows virtual machine, or does the security software for the Linux host machine have that covered?
Old 06/17/2018   #4
Cthulhu

Just keep your OS updated and don't do anything weird (e.g. dodgy download sites) and it should be fine. Also keep your files on your Linux machine (iirc there's a way to share files between the host and guest OS), that way you can just delete / recreate it if it's broken. VMWare / VirtualBox also have a snapshot feature (or well, I know VirtualBox has it), which allows you to restore the whole image to a previous state if something goes wrong.
Thanked by:
NERV Agent (06/22/2018)
Old 06/17/2018   #5
Literally Who?

Yeah basically. Though if you want to be extra cautious while using the VM OS you could run anything that you don't feel comfy with through something like Sandboxie first or something

https://www.sandboxie.com/

Might be overkill, but if it makes you feel comfy go for it lol. At that point I really really doubt anything could come back to bite your Linux install in the ass lol.
Literally Who? is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
NERV Agent (06/22/2018)
Old 06/17/2018   #6
Cthulhu

Serious question to anyone: What was the last computerer virus you had, and how did you get it?
Thanked by 2:
Literally Who? (06/17/2018), NERV Agent (06/22/2018)
Old 06/17/2018   #7
Literally Who?

Honestly, I can't remember.
Thanked by:
Obsidian Fire (06/17/2018)
Old 06/17/2018   #8
NERV Agent

Last virus I got, I was looking for Dragon Ball Super episodes online and my browser downloaded a virus. Luckily, ZoneAlarm caught it before it could do any damage.

Back on topic, I have some USB sticks that use Window's BitLocker Drive Encryption to protect my personal files whenever I transfer files between PCs. Can I still open and save to these encrypted USB sticks in Linux? Or would it require a separate program that I need to download?
Old 06/18/2018   #9
Cthulhu

I'm not sure, that's something you'd have to look up yourself. Might be an application or something, but, I dunno.

Also that's what you get for piracy, . They're up on crunchyroll, you can watch those either for free (with some ads) or pay what, $5 / month for unlimited access.
Thanked by 2:
Literally Who? (06/18/2018), NERV Agent (06/22/2018)
Old 06/18/2018   #10
Literally Who?

Yeah or not using reputable sources haha.

Horrible subs and Nyaa have been legit and consistent sources of fast uploads for like forever now.
Old 06/18/2018   #11
Kionae

ClamAV is a good linux antivirus. But like others have said, unless you're visiting shady corners of the web, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Awards 'n Stuffs

Least Likely to Win an Award - 2nd Place
Kionae is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
NERV Agent (06/20/2018)
Old 06/20/2018   #12
NERV Agent

Oh dear God.

The past few days have been a headache just trying to install programs, because one program is dependent on another library and then to install that library involves some very specific command lines then installing the program itself requires its own set of specific command lines, etc.

The past few days I've been Googling different command lines and different scripts, libraries, and programs and using brute force to see which ones work and which ones don't. I have such a splitting headache right now that I might just do what Natsuki is doing in my avatar.

I still haven't installed any games on this thing yet!

Can someone please give me to exact command lines to install a Sega Genesis emulator (whichever is best for this platform), ePSXe, and PCSX2? I just want to get back to playing games and not staring at and inputting random command lines I find from Google followed by me screaming and yelling at my computer whenever something doesn't work.
Cthulhu (06/20/2018)
Old 06/20/2018   #13
Literally Who?

You should probably just play video games through bootcamp/dual boot or something lol.
Old 06/20/2018   #14
NERV Agent

True, but I gotta learn to stop being dependent on Windows, too.

Hopefully one day Linux will catch on an all installers will be in a nice Debian package, and not a hot mess of having to find and install different libraries using different specific command lines etc.
Old 06/20/2018   #15
Cthulhu

That's a wish I expressed a decade ago, and so far, no luck
Thanked by 2:
Literally Who? (06/20/2018), NERV Agent (06/22/2018)