The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Topical > Gaming

Gaming Discuss all things gaming in this subsection.

Old 02/02/2009   #1
Tetsujin
Default Resident Evil Series

Demo was underwhelming.
Discuss.
Tetsujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/02/2009   #2
kunoichi
Default Re: Resident Evil 5

I haven't had the chance to look al this yet. What did you think was so underwhelming?
kunoichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/02/2009   #3
Tetsujin

Well, it's basically the same old but worse. It's not really a bad game but it's definitely not awesome.
First of all, the controls are still very much outdated. The characters still feel like cars when controlling them.
You still can't move or dodge properly when engaged in a fight. You still have to hold down a button to run (which is 95% of the time) instead of just using the analog stick to control whether you wanna walk or run.
Aiming doesn't feel very precise. I wish I could use my Wiimote D=

Lots of recycled animations from RE4. It feels too much the same.
Menu doesn't pause the game, it's all in real-time. They probably wanna make it more realistic and increase the panic factor but I found it to be rather annoying. =/

And the worst thing of all:
Sheva. Damn her to hell. The whole game she'll be there and ironically, you'll have to babysit that chick more than you ever had to babysit Ashley. At least she knew to stay the fuck away from enemies and you could tell her to fuck off to some corner and be quiet while you were playing John Rambo and fucked up half of Spain's population.

Not with this chick. "OHLOLZ, I can heff gunz, so Im moar bettar rite?"

No.

She is an annoying pest who'll only mess up your performance and cry for help or ask you for ammo when you just can't be arsed to do so because four or five angry Africans are chopping your dick in half and you somehow need to get away from them.

Like just now, I had this chainsaw thing coming after me along with some other enemies and I just wanted to get away and get some distance between them and myself so I could shoot away from a safe position. Chocolate-Jill didn't think so and got killed of course.

Naturally, it's Game Over for you if she dies.

Also, she stole ammo that I wanted to pick up a couple of times even though she had more than I did. >_>

So yeah, she's my main gripe about the thing. Sure it'll be a lot of fun playing co-op with a human player but she'll get really annoying in single player.
God, I fucking hate games that force you to co-operate with some dumbshit AI character. =/

On a more positive note, there's finally a quick change option for up to four items. Considering that the menu doesn't pause the game though this is really a necessity then simply a choice out of convenience.

P.S.: Dacon, get your ass in here.
Old 02/02/2009   #4
Alex

I'll be honest and say I'm not anticipating much from this game in the slightest. It just seems to be rehashing a lot of plot, character and gameplay elements from RE4 in a very very uncreative way. Like putting a different skin on a very familiar structure.

you'll have to babysit that chick more than you ever had to babysit Ashley.
And this killed any anticipation I might have once had.
Old 02/02/2009   #5
Max Payne

Lol I was going to make this thread.

Dead Space killed the controls in this game for me. Re5, your character handles like a fucking fighter jet, not a human.

You're still stuck in closed in environments without the ability to move while attacking, it's frustrating as hell.

I call bullshit on anyone who says Re is defined by limited controls, or that it's not an action game, because that's what it is now. It should have decent controls by now.
Max Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/02/2009   #6
Tetsujin

Kojima was interviewed not too long ago and said this:

Kojima also points out that the hi-definition era has changed the rules of game design itself. "Game design up to now has been about making rules," he notes. "It was like a card game; there were lots of things that weren't possible and had to be cut. With hi-def, the more real it gets, the less instruction you need to give, so preoccupying yourself with making rules seems silly. Western developers have realized this, but Japanese ones are still preoccupied with making these rules."
Looking at titles like Dirge of Cerberus and Resident Evil 5, I think the man is right. Too many "rules" and restrictions in those sorts of games.
Old 02/02/2009   #7
Max Payne

He is right. They're too focused on building these closed in systems that their games revolve around.

That's true about most games though, but japanese development seems to take it waaaaaaaay too far.

At this point I'm only playing for the story, and to see if Capcom has the balls to kill off Wesker.
Old 02/04/2009   #8
Tetsujin

I doubt they will.
If they do, I'll give them credit for surprising me.
I just don't want him to turn into some huge blobby and slow monster for the final fight or something like that.
Old 02/04/2009   #9
Max Payne

[quote author=Tetsujin link=topic=451.msg14430#msg14430 date=1233768848]
I doubt they will.
If they do, I'll give them credit for surprising me.
I just don't want him to turn into some huge blobby and slow monster for the final fight.
[/quote]

I don't want him to mutate period. He's bad enough as is.
Old 02/04/2009   #10
Super Mario

He doesn't deserve mutation. And thanks for warning me, I'm calling my uncle to play as Chris and I sheva when we play through RE5.

YAHOO!
Super Mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2009   #11
Alex

Wesker's just a poorly voiced, overrated douche.

Really.
Old 02/04/2009   #12
Super Mario

I think RE4's voice and RE5 is pretty decent compared to the first game.

"THERE IS SERUM"

YAHOO!
Old 02/04/2009   #13
Alex

The voice actor is still pretty poor.

Old 02/04/2009   #14
Super Mario

You've got a point to an extent, cos I can't tell if it was a british or american accent being used by Wesker..

YAHOO!
Old 02/05/2009   #15
Max Payne

Wesker is already a fracking Terminator, Agent Smith, nightcrawler hybrid ffs. If he gets anymore overpowered, I'm going to freak out.

And fuuuuuuuuuuuuck section where one person carries a flashlight in a pitch black cave while the other protects them confirmed.