The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Archive > TLS Archive

TLS Archive Wherein we find the best threads of TLS' history, plus old stuff that isn't being used anymore.

Old 11/12/2016   #391
Ghost X

The names being thrown about at the moment aren't pretty.

2017 1st Runner-Up -- Member You'd Most Want to Meet.

2017 1st Runner-Up -- Best Voice.

2017 2nd Place Winner -- Most Likely To Back Out Of A Fight But Remain... Victorious.
Thanked by 5:
Chloe Frazer (11/12/2016), Dark and Divine (11/12/2016), Mr. Ite (11/12/2016), The Twilight Mexican (11/12/2016), X-SOLDIER (11/12/2016)
Old 11/12/2016   #392
Chloe Frazer

Trump’s top domestic policy adviser: being gay is a ‘lifestyle’ that ‘can be changed’
Old 11/12/2016   #393
Tetsujin

Thanked by 4:
Dark and Divine (11/12/2016), Mr. Ite (11/12/2016), The Twilight Mexican (11/12/2016), X-SOLDIER (11/14/2016)
Old 11/12/2016   #394
Channy

Jason Tandro wrote: Here's Trump's 100 Day Plan
Waitaminit...

* FIRST, I will announce my intention to renegotiate NAFTA or withdraw from the deal under Article 2205

* SIXTH, lift the Obama-Clinton roadblocks and allow vital energy infrastructure projects, like the Keystone Pipeline, to move forward
If he re-negotiates the NAFTA agreement and/or wants to withdraw (which we would highly benefit from, so please go ahead) - in what planet would the Keystone Pipeline still move forward?

..also, I'm still only on pg 19 of reading through the whole thread but I didn't want to lose track of that

Also, on that same article as noted by Jason but not pointed out, other "first day things" he will do include

* FOURTH, begin removing the more than 2 million criminal illegal immigrants from the country and cancel visas to foreign countries that won't take them back

* FIFTH, suspend immigration from terror-prone regions where vetting cannot safely occur. All vetting of people coming into our country will be considered extreme vetting.
That's what makes the election sad. And that it is a white man country that people are perpetrating. He's going to deport everyone of colour that wasn't born there. He's going to prevent people from ever going back. He's going to rob women of their right to their own bodies, by making abortions either illegal or punishable. He's going to (confirmed? still reading) reverse LGBTQ rights. Like, I get why people are saying "oh, it was a white man's race and now it's a white man's country" ... because it is, because of these things he wants to do to everyone else. And that's what makes America sad now.

So, why do you come here?
Same as you, I think. I've been here a lot...
You must have a lot going on your mind, I suppose.
Yeah, but I'd rather have nothing for a change. How do you do it?
Well, it comes with practice. I can think of nothing.
I do not feel the need to occupy my mind with nonsense, just to avoid thinking about what really matters.

Thanked by 3:
Jason Tandro (11/13/2016), Lex (11/12/2016), X-SOLDIER (11/14/2016)
Old 11/12/2016   #395
Strangelove

Ron Swanson wrote: Trump’s top domestic policy adviser: being gay is a ‘lifestyle’ that ‘can be changed’
you know like how an upside down crucifix is associated with the antichrist

now trump holding a rainbow flag upside down makes sense
Jason Tandro (11/13/2016), Lex (11/12/2016), The Twilight Mexican (11/12/2016), X-SOLDIER (11/14/2016)
Old 11/12/2016   #396
Dashell

He's going to deport everyone of colour that wasn't born there.

Uhm... to be fair it's only the illegals who shouldn't be here anyway.

Also, do we know FOR SURE he's going to reverse gay rights and abortion? All I've seen so far is speculation and I'm trying not to freak out about it unless I hear it from him. And I don't mean "I'll consider it" cause he said that a lot, I mean a "Yes I'm going to reverse it."
Thanked by 4:
Flare (11/12/2016), lithiumkatana17 (11/12/2016), The Twilight Mexican (11/12/2016), X-SOLDIER (11/14/2016)
Old 11/12/2016   #397
Random Nobody

Ron Swanson wrote: Trump’s top domestic policy adviser: being gay is a ‘lifestyle’ that ‘can be changed’
I mean, Kris Kobach--the man who was responsible for SB1070 (so also indirectly responsible for empowering Arpaio's antics over half a decade) and speaks at white supremacist rallies--is also part of the transition team. Fuckin'...Broken Windows Giuliani, Mike Huckabee, Jan Brewer, Sarah Palin, Gangrene?

Where's that Amr Adeeb clip, because that's me right now.
Old 11/12/2016   #398
Random Nobody

Dashell wrote:
Undocumented people*

And I really don't think Americans understand how difficult it is to gain citizenship in this country, or even enter as a refugee. These kind of policies don't just affect "illegal" bogeyman; we're talking about people who were raised all their lives here under DACA, Dreamers, citizen minors who lose their parents and are absorbed as wards of state, refugees and asylum seekers--many children--fleeing economic collapse and imminent death/physical violence precipitated by the US's very own foreign policies, et al. And under legislation like 1070 and HB 56, it doesn't matter whether you're a citizen or aren't. You can be stopped and jailed for "reasonable suspicion" of "foreignness" and held without release until you can prove your immigration status pursuant to Title 8. Speaking from experience here.

And this country can't survive (or rather, chooses not to survive) without exploiting the undocumented, so again...it's not even realistic.

ETA:

YouTube Video

Lmaooooooooooo. Someone captioned this "Arabs when Donald Trump is elected president" and I'm dying.

Last edited by Random Nobody; 11/12/2016 at 06:57 PM.
Thanked by 9:
Channy (11/12/2016), CK (11/12/2016), Dark and Divine (11/12/2016), Dashell (11/13/2016), Howl (11/12/2016), Lex (11/12/2016), Mr. Ite (11/12/2016), The Twilight Mexican (11/12/2016), X-SOLDIER (11/14/2016)
Old 11/12/2016   #399
Channy

Dashell wrote:
He's going to deport everyone of colour that wasn't born there.

Also, do we know FOR SURE he's going to reverse gay rights and abortion? All I've seen so far is speculation and I'm trying not to freak out about it unless I hear it from him. And I don't mean "I'll consider it" cause he said that a lot, I mean a "Yes I'm going to reverse it."
The reversing gay rights part, I'm not sure, but he feels very strongly on abortion. During one interview clip, he said that women who have abortions should be punished, and during the last debate, he was asked if he would reverse Roe v Wade and he refused to provide a straight answer other than "there are going to be some changes" to who he added to the supreme court.

So, why do you come here?
Same as you, I think. I've been here a lot...
You must have a lot going on your mind, I suppose.
Yeah, but I'd rather have nothing for a change. How do you do it?
Well, it comes with practice. I can think of nothing.
I do not feel the need to occupy my mind with nonsense, just to avoid thinking about what really matters.

Thanked by 2:
The Twilight Mexican (11/12/2016), X-SOLDIER (11/14/2016)
Old 11/12/2016   #400
The Twilight Mexican

Let's keep it respectful -- or at least civil if genuine respect can't be managed -- in here, please and thanks.

For that matter, a basic consideration of anything about Que's personality and values would tell you that she is well aware of her good fortune in where she was born and that she doesn't deserve that kind of response. It's not like she would consider a refugee fleeing violence the same as she would someone who didn't have a dire, immediate need to immigrate.

And really, what exactly is the opposing position to what she said? Illegal immigration is, by definition, illegal. It's there in the name for a reason. Now, you can get into the whys and wherefores of all that and find good reasons for it to happen (e.g. refugees often don't know they can apply for refugee status) -- but you can also be sure that if I overstayed my welcome in Canada just because I decided I preferred living in a country where poutine is available everywhere, I'd not be shown the same consideration as a refugee. Nor should I be.
Thanked by:
X-SOLDIER (11/14/2016)
Old 11/12/2016   #401
CK

eh fair call I'll play nice. It just seems to me when Americans refer to 'illegals' it's anyone from mexico and I'm sorry the shit that is going on there is valid enough reason to want to be anywhere else. And I wouldn't want to sit there and wait for the legal immigration process either. I'm pretty damn sure these people have a much more valid reason for being in the US than the cuisine as well. I'm sure you could have used a less ridiculous example than that come on.

Being someone not from the US what reasons do you believe warrants them to be removed for being there illegally? What to you Americans is not a valid reason to be in your country? Apart from being there illegally of course.

Au milieu de mes semblables
Je vois des monstres
J'entends des hurlements
La gorge comprimée
Dans un étau austère
Les yeux bandés
Je me sens étranger

Last edited by CK; 11/12/2016 at 11:06 PM.
Thanked by:
The Twilight Mexican (11/13/2016)
Old 11/12/2016   #402
Cat Rage Room

There's a tiny part of me that is starting to think that Trump doesn't believe half of the shit he said during the campaign and only said it to get elected.

I remember Trump for my entire life before this/last year; he's always been pretty liberal; not entirely so, but a lot of the shit he's been saying has been pretty new. I'm not excusing him in any way, and I didn't vote for him and wouldn't again, but...this shit is wild and I'm beginning to think nothing is clear cut.
Thanked by 4:
Dashell (11/13/2016), Tennyo (11/13/2016), The Twilight Mexican (11/13/2016), X-SOLDIER (11/14/2016)
Old 11/12/2016   #403
Ghost X

I think there's no doubt he swindled his voters in some way. The question is in what way / how much. That's why I think his choice of cabinet will kind of reveal the direction he wishes to take things, but as I've pointed out, the names don't look good.

2017 2nd Place Winner -- Most Likely To Back Out Of A Fight But Remain... Victorious.
Thanked by 4:
Dark and Divine (11/13/2016), Tennyo (11/13/2016), The Twilight Mexican (11/13/2016), X-SOLDIER (11/14/2016)
Old 11/13/2016   #404
Random Nobody

I don't think his bigotry is an "act" (and it wouldn't matter if it were), though I'm sure he would say anything for the immediate gratification of being cheered on by large crowds. He's foremost a narcissist, so whilst the conviction may be there, he lacks the evangelical commitment (and incentive--until now) to go out and see those ideologies materialised.
Thanked by 4:
Dark and Divine (11/13/2016), Tennyo (11/13/2016), The Twilight Mexican (11/13/2016), X-SOLDIER (11/14/2016)
Old 11/13/2016   #405
Ghost X

The Democratic establishment so far making all the wrong moves. Blaming everyone else but themselves, and throwing around establishment names as the future of the party. Progressives must stomp that shit out permanently. Get politically active in the USA if you already aren't (if so, y'all awfully private about such endeavors).

Thanked by 3:
Chloe Frazer (11/13/2016), The Twilight Mexican (11/13/2016), X-SOLDIER (11/14/2016)