The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Site, Forums, Staff & Projects > News Reports

News Reports Found a news item of interest for TLS? Post it in this section.

Old 09/10/2017   #31
The Twilight Mexican

And for that matter, FFXV's KotR (explicitly referred to as such in the credits of "Kingsglaive") are not the same entities as VII's or XIV's, but they're the Knights of the Round. Likewise, VI's Shiva and Ifrit, VII's, VIII's, IX's, X's, XIV's, XV's, etc.
Thanked by 4:
ForceStealer (09/10/2017), Obsidian Fire (09/10/2017), Shademp (09/10/2017), Theozilla (09/11/2017)
Old 09/10/2017   #32
Minato

Feel like there's a difference between two games each having their own Odin and one game having Odin and the other having their own Asgardian All-Father who is not Odin.
Minato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/10/2017   #33
JechtShotMK9

Brandon Stark wrote: Feel like there's a difference between two games each having their own Odin and one game having Odin and the other having their own Asgardian All-Father who is not Odin.
I don't see how it's any different than having a Bahamut in FF1 who is a dragon king, vs a Bahamut in FFVII who is a dragon but not a king, vs a Bahamut in FFX who is a dragon but also a 10 year old boy ghost thing, vs a Bahamut in XII that is neither a dragon, or a king, or a ghost boy thing, but rather the Death Star on top of a tornado, vs. a Bahamut in XIV that is actually the zombie-god mindless dragon that is not a king, or a 10 year old boy ghost thing, or a space station.

In I and IX, Marilith is one of the Four Fiends. In XII, Marilith is a palate swap of a random snake encounter. Do we dig in our heels and argue that Marilith isn't in XII?
JechtShotMK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 5:
ForceStealer (09/10/2017), Mr. Ite (09/10/2017), Obsidian Fire (09/10/2017), The Twilight Mexican (09/10/2017), Theozilla (09/11/2017)
Old 09/10/2017   #34
Obsidian Fire

If you're going to go that far, you might as well say that the FFXIV Primals/summons aren't comparable to summons in previous games. FFXIV Primals (which look like summons from the previous games) are beings that drain aether from the land much like a mako reactor does. The only way to return said aether is to kill them. In fact, the only person who really benefits from them is Zodiark...
JechtShotMK9 (09/10/2017), Theozilla (09/11/2017)
Old 09/10/2017   #35
Minato

JechtShotMK9 wrote:
Brandon Stark wrote: Feel like there's a difference between two games each having their own Odin and one game having Odin and the other having their own Asgardian All-Father who is not Odin.
I don't see how it's any different than having a Bahamut in FF1 who is a dragon king, vs a Bahamut in FFVII who is a dragon but not a king, vs a Bahamut in FFX who is a dragon but also a 10 year old boy ghost thing, vs a Bahamut in XII that is neither a dragon, or a king, or a ghost boy thing, but rather the Death Star on top of a tornado, vs. a Bahamut in XIV that is actually the zombie-god mindless dragon that is not a king, or a 10 year old boy ghost thing, or a space station.
He's still called Bahamut. King Arthur has seen lots of different interpretations but few go "Here are the Knights of the Round Table, who the heck is King Arthur, this is about my personal OC, do not steal". If feel that's a step in the wrong direction. Doesn't build the property, King Arthur is a litte too essential the Arthurian mythology at the end of the day.
Old 09/10/2017   #36
JechtShotMK9

I don't really see how any of this is relevant at all, when the game calls them "The Knights of the Round." How you feel things should be doesn't really matter here. That's what they are.
Thanked by 3:
Obsidian Fire (09/11/2017), The Twilight Mexican (09/10/2017), Theozilla (09/11/2017)
Old 09/10/2017   #37
The Twilight Mexican

What JSMK9 said.

And for that matter ... it's not like anyone working on a Final Fantasy created Bahamut, Shiva, Gilgamesh, Leviathan, ifrits, the Midgardsormr and so on and so forth. There are all sorts of reimagined mythological borrowings in FF. I'm going to have to call drawing the line at King Arthur more than a tad bizarre.

FF has its own take(s) on such things, including the Knights of the Round -- and what we see in XIV and XV are FF iterations of the FF take on the concept.

That's both the long and the short of it.
Thanked by 2:
JechtShotMK9 (09/10/2017), Obsidian Fire (09/11/2017)
Old 09/11/2017   #38
Minato

I don't mind them using King Arthur, I mind them using the Knights of the Round Table as an attribute for a different character. And Shiva, Ifrit and Bahamut have had several FF installment where the build up a number of familiar traits. If Yojimbo was a western style knight in his second appearance I wouldn't like that either, seems a little early in the game for change for the sake of change.
Thanked by:
Omega (09/11/2017)
Old 09/11/2017   #39
The Twilight Mexican

Brandon Stark wrote: I don't mind them using King Arthur, I mind them using the Knights of the Round Table as an attribute for a different character.
Again, see Bahamut, Shiva, Midgardsormr, Tiamat, Odin, etc. Those names are being used as attributes of often drastically different characters as well.

If Odin is the one who has the most in common with his namesake, we've still ventured really far from the source.
Thanked by:
Theozilla (09/11/2017)
Old 09/11/2017   #40
JechtShotMK9

In II, Palamecia was a country.
In XIII, Palamecia was an airship.

IT'S NOT PALAMECIA!!! IT'S NOT IT'S NOT IT'S NOT

Enkidu is a chicken now. Why are we even having this discussion?

Last edited by JechtShotMK9; 09/11/2017 at 03:26 PM.
Thanked by:
The Twilight Mexican (09/12/2017)
Old 09/12/2017   #41
Channy

Sooo..... those VIII theories were really cool.

So, why do you come here?
Same as you, I think. I've been here a lot...
You must have a lot going on your mind, I suppose.
Yeah, but I'd rather have nothing for a change. How do you do it?
Well, it comes with practice. I can think of nothing.
I do not feel the need to occupy my mind with nonsense, just to avoid thinking about what really matters.

Channy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 5:
Cat Rage Room (09/13/2017), Dark and Divine (09/12/2017), Flare (09/12/2017), Mr. Ite (09/12/2017), The Twilight Mexican (09/12/2017)
Old 09/12/2017   #42
Mr. Ite

I like how much he liked the Squall is Dead theory.
Mr. Ite is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
Channy (09/13/2017), Dark and Divine (09/12/2017)
Old 09/13/2017   #43
Cat Rage Room

I don't like how much he liked the Squall is Dead theory.

It's interesting to think about, sure, but I always thought that people who insisted it was true was irritating. It seems super silly.
Cat Rage Room is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 3:
Mr. Ite (09/14/2017), Omega (09/13/2017), The Twilight Mexican (09/13/2017)
Old 09/13/2017   #44
The Twilight Mexican

"Moombas are too out there to be anything but a death fever dream! ... What's that about keeping mystical beasts used as weapons of mass destruction in a classroom computer?"
Thanked by:
Obsidian Fire (09/13/2017)
Old 09/13/2017   #45
Obsidian Fire

Moombas are the one thing from FFVIII I wish had become a reoccurring thing in later FF titles. They manage to have the same "cute monster" feeling that Tonberries and Cactaurs have. Only they're fluffy! And by "cute monster" I mean that I'd totally buy a plushie version of them.

Channy (09/13/2017), Flare (09/13/2017), The Twilight Mexican (09/13/2017)