The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Site, Forums, Staff & Projects > Forum News & Information

Forum News & Information News and issues concerning the forums go here

Closed Thread

Old 06/19/2012   #16
Octo

Another question for all the nominees:

What would you do to promote inclusion/encourage participation from shyer/quieter/less active members? (Not just new members)

(Mostly Manics related things but some other stuff and more things being added all the time! <3

https://www.redbubble.com/people/rom...dropdown&asc=u
Old 06/19/2012   #17
Unlucky

Follow-up question to my first one:

Someone named Octo wrote: I'd like to reverse Unlucky's question, kind of: TLS members have beef with each other that started outside of TLS but has now spilled out onto the forum. How would you deal with the situation? Bearing in mind that as much of the trouble occured off site and you have no frame of reference/are unable to take that into consideration?
Old 06/19/2012   #18
Rumpelstiltskin

Firstly I'd like to say you answered all these questions rather well, the only thing I have issue with is this
That's actually a tough question, I don't honestly remember the specifics of anything relevant here. Disagreements, unless they are major/about something very serious, aren't particularly important to me. I got my way, other folks have theirs.
You say that you don't consider altercations as important, however it was only lag week that you and dacon were debating the way things could be handled during all the drama. At this point if I recall you posted in the thread that you had, had enough of debating it then merely refused to comment further.

Do you think you could have handled that instance any better if you were a mod?
Old 06/19/2012   #19
The Pyro

Someone named Octo wrote: Another question for all the nominees:

What would you do to promote inclusion/encourage participation from shyer/quieter/less active members? (Not just new members)
Do these shy members play Pokemon so that I could sweet talk them into joining the League? Seriously though, I'll admit that's a tougher question than some you could ask me. See, I don't always really understand shyness, its been so long since I really felt it that I just lack a grasp on that sort of feeling. Promoting inclusion is fairly easy, with the movie nights/group chats/general community activities that people can join in on we've got plenty of things to include people in. But I'm genuinely having trouble thinking of a method of encouraging participation among quiet/shy folks that wouldn't simultaneously seem intrusive, which is of course something to be avoided around shy folks. I'd be open to any advice on the matter, in fact. Even if I never mod for TLS, I've known people who were shy about posting and tended to second guess themselves a lot (and were unhappy about being lurkers by default) and I'd have liked to be more help than I was.

Unlucky wrote: Follow-up question to my first one:
Someone named Octo wrote: I'd like to reverse Unlucky's question, kind of: TLS members have beef with each other that started outside of TLS but has now spilled out onto the forum. How would you deal with the situation? Bearing in mind that as much of the trouble occured off site and you have no frame of reference/are unable to take that into consideration?
On the one hand, its tempting to say I'd go looking for the frame of reference I'm missing by asking both individuals about it. On the other hand, it seems to me that could be none of my business. And if trouble from outside the forum gets set loose here then the priority feels more like containing it and/or getting it settled. So, I'm going to combine those somewhat. I'd PM both of the individuals with something along the lines of:

"Hey X, I've been noticing some sort of tension between you and Y that seems to be generating some friction on the forum. It looks like something happened between you two elsewhere perhaps? I'd be happy to listen if you'd like to let someone know what that's all about, but either way the forum proper probably isn't the place to work things out. Might be a good idea to take it to PM."

That way it gives them the option of giving me their side of whatever trouble they have with one another without my demanding the info (which I don't feel I should do since it didn't start on the forum) while also letting them know they should take it outside the public areas. After that, we'd see where it goes.

Jake Muller wrote: Firstly I'd like to say you answered all these questions rather well, the only thing I have issue with is this
Thanks, and I somewhat have issue with that myself. It seemed like an unsatisfactory answer all around, though it was the best I had at the time.

You say that you don't consider altercations as important, however it was only lag week that you and dacon were debating the way things could be handled during all the drama. At this point if I recall you posted in the thread that you had, had enough of debating it then merely refused to comment further.
Ah, now let me point out that in your previous questions you said "disagreements." This post is about "altercations." I don't want to split hairs, but for me those words do imply rather different things. For me at least, altercation implies that I have in fact already allowed myself to get angry and fight with whomever I am disagreeing with. Which is a perfectly accurate description of the particular disagreement you're now bringing up, of course. But generally, my disagreements do not come to the point where I'd describe them as altercations, and I answered the previous question more generally. Anyway, now that we got a more specific example to work with...

Do you think you could have handled that instance any better if you were a mod?
I could indeed have handled that better. Not if I were a mod, I just flat could have handled it better as I am I misunderstood the precise nature of what Dacon was saying at the time. I disagree, to a much lesser extent, with what he actually meant as well, but not to anywhere near the degree of what I perceived (which was essentially gtfo you're not wanted here).

Now, in part I think my final action there was not such a bad idea, to take myself out of the discussion entirely. For unimportant matters, if the disagreement doesn't seem reconcilable then simply letting it go is not a bad response to the discussion getting/threatening to grow heated. In this instance, the matter was important to me, so as a moderator I'd have A.) informed everyone present of my desire to leave the discussion much more professionally/politely than I actually did, and B.) Made it clear that my departure was temporary and that I would return to continue trying to reach an understanding.

I would still refuse to comment further until I returned, however. Leaving to keep yourself and others calm/calm down if you're already angry does little good if you don't, y'know... actually leave

Yeah, I got more to brag about than ever...
Thanked by 2:
Octo (06/19/2012), Unlucky (06/19/2012)
Old 06/19/2012   #20
Octo

Gym Leader Devil wrote: Do these shy members play Pokemon so that I could sweet talk them into joining the League? Seriously though, I'll admit that's a tougher question than some you could ask me. See, I don't always really understand shyness, its been so long since I really felt it that I just lack a grasp on that sort of feeling. Promoting inclusion is fairly easy, with the movie nights/group chats/general community activities that people can join in on we've got plenty of things to include people in. But I'm genuinely having trouble thinking of a method of encouraging participation among quiet/shy folks that wouldn't simultaneously seem intrusive, which is of course something to be avoided around shy folks. I'd be open to any advice on the matter, in fact. Even if I never mod for TLS, I've known people who were shy about posting and tended to second guess themselves a lot (and were unhappy about being lurkers by default) and I'd have liked to be more help than I was.
Good answer, and yeah ultimately there is little one can do if people are inherently shy but if there is an friendly atmosphere and the community activities you mentioned, then at least there is something there for those people when they do feel ready to particpate

(Mostly Manics related things but some other stuff and more things being added all the time! <3

https://www.redbubble.com/people/rom...dropdown&asc=u
Thanked by:
The Pyro (06/20/2012)
Closed Thread