The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Site, Forums, Staff & Projects > Forum News & Information

Forum News & Information News and issues concerning the forums go here

Closed Thread

Old 04/17/2016   #16
Splintered

In a scenario where two members are having a disagreement and ask for your help, what is the worst mistake you can make in your correspondence with them? Then, what's the right course of action to take?
I must be going crazy because I completely misread this question, I thought it was asking if two mods were getting into a fight or something.

Mediation is also probably the answer. It's probably easiest to do through PM's, but is slow and annoying so best case scenario is getting them in a chatroom. The isea is to make sure you have both sides of the story and reassure that you are both unbiased and taking what they say seriously- and not just the other person. Getting people to air at grievances and looking at their past issues is important, but imo, the key thing is not to let it escalate.

If their going to the mods, it probably means they are past the point that them pm'ing each other isn't going to solve anything. Make sure that any contact that they do have outside of the forums, like skyping/messaging/pm'ing, isn't devolving to flaming and harassment, and if it is, intervening in that might be necessary, even if it doesn't actually fall into the scope of your modship, sometimes it's okay to reach out as a friend.

At worst, forums are social groups, and left unchecked, these to members might talk to other members and thus rather than dealing with two people having problems, you get entire groups against one person or group, which iirc, happened more than once in this forum.

Thanked by 8:
Chloe Frazer (04/23/2016), Doom Bunneh (04/20/2016), Joe (04/17/2016), Lex (04/17/2016), Octo (04/17/2016), Starling (04/18/2016), Tennyo (04/18/2016), vaderSW1 (04/18/2016)
Old 04/18/2016   #17
Doom Bunneh

Right, here goes mine

Being a Mod can be very frustrating at times, how will you handle situations where your patience will be tested?
To be honest, I don't see this as a huge problem. The internet is the internet, and I'm not going to let that bother me. I will deal with the situation, but remain calm. If ever I feel like getting angry, I just shout it out inside my own head, then sort through that and find what needs to be said in a calm way.

Sometimes you have to be very plain speaking/blunt with members, while remaining respectful - how do you feel about this?
There's never anything wrong with honesty. If one member is hurting another through the way they are acting, then for me to not say anything is to give consent for that action. There's no need to be rude, of course, simply to state the problem/point out the action that should stop.

Do you think anything about the forum or how it is run should be changed? If so what/how?
I'm personally pretty fine with how it is run. The only thing that I have something to say about is the thanks system in debates threads, as I have stated.

In a scenario where two members are having a disagreement and ask for your help, what is the worst mistake you can make in your correspondence with them? Then, what's the right course of action to take?
The worst mistake would be to take sides or have any sort of bias. The best way to deal with it, in my opinion, is for both members to state their case to me privately, and then for both of them and I to get together in a chat or something similar, and talk it out calmly.

How would you deal with a situation where a member tells you they don't trust any of the staff members - including you - and is publicly making false claims about staff bias?
If, as the question states, the claims are definitely false, I would ask them to please show me where/when I myself had shown bias, and first try to gain their personal trust. If I can get that right, I feel that I could then have a rational discussion with them and come to the root of the misunderstanding.

Why do you think the privacy of the staff section is important?
Simply because occasionally the staff will have to discuss sensitive material, for example if one member is making trouble and a decision needs to be reached about them, it would not be fair to anyone involved if just anyone could see that discussion.

Finally: do you think you should have to watch what you say as a staff member in order to avoid potentially alienating members? If so; why? If not; why not?
I think so, yes. I won't hide my opinions, as I am as free to an opinion as anyone else on the forum. But how I say it is a very important factor, because as a person with responsibility, I can easily be seen as abusing my power to force my opinion on others, even if that is not my intent. It's the Spiderman thing, basically.

(SPOILER)
Shademp wrote: I would just like to thank Airling and Blargon for being awesome additions to this forum.

Thanked by 10:
Channy (04/18/2016), Chloe Frazer (04/23/2016), Flare (04/18/2016), Joe (04/18/2016), Lex (04/20/2016), Octo (04/23/2016), Starling (04/18/2016), Tennyo (04/18/2016), vaderSW1 (04/18/2016), X-SOLDIER (04/22/2016)
Old 04/18/2016   #18
vaderSW1

Being a Mod can be very frustrating at times, how will you handle situations where your patience will be tested?
Admittedly, I have little to no patience for folks that are blatantly trolling or just being flat-out ignorant. However, I also understand that if I am voted in as a mod, there will be a certain responsibility that comes with having that power. So, to that end, I feel that having a clear head can help greatly with arguments and frustrating situations. If I encounter a situation that seems to be testing my patience, I will step away for a bit and take a deep breath before re-engaging. Allow myself to reassess the situation and try to approach it from a different angle. If that still doesn't work, I'll bounce the situation off my fellow mods to see how they feel and proceed from there.

Sometimes you have to be very plain speaking/blunt with members, while remaining respectful - how do you feel about this?
My job IRL is a telephone customer service representative. I have been doing this for 16 years. Over the course of that time, I have certainly had to be respectfully stern/blunt with many customers. Sometimes you can get through to them through kindly pointing out the facts and sometimes you can't. I think the key to being successful when having to be blunt is making sure you are able to remove your own personal emotions from the equation. Then, you can make it all about the business at hand. Know and understand the forum rules, stick to the facts, and be to the point but respectful.

Do you think anything about the forum or how it is run should be changed? If so what/how?
Personally, I feel like the way the forum is run currently is fine. It seems like the forum members are generally respectful to one another and the forum staff does a good job of keeping things running smoothly. However, if I could change something, it might be to simplify the forums a bit. Maybe reduce the amount of sub-forums. I think for new members, seeing the many different sub-forums can be a bit intimidating. If we are to eventually have a partnership with Square Enix then we are most certainly going to have a lot of new members coming our way. We want the forums to be welcoming and easily accessible. So, to that end I might propose reducing the amount of subforms by combining a few of them.

I think the worst mistake I could make is jump to a conclusion and make a decision without hearing both sides of the story. I love the saying "there's 3 sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth in between." It's incredibly important to get both sides of the story, do as much investigation as you can into the issue, and then try to mediate a solution once you have all the facts.

How would you deal with a situation where a member tells you they don't trust any of the staff members - including you - and is publicly making false claims about staff bias?
As I said previously, I think it is important to be able to remove your own personal emotions from these situation. Even though this member may be targeting me as well, I think it's important to note that they are referring to a perceived overall staff bias. With a member that feels this way, I don't think any specific words from a member of the staff are going to be able to assuage their concerns initially. However, with that in mind, I think transparency from the staff is incredibly important in these and, really, all situations dealing with the forums. I think the more open/transparent you are with the membership, the less chance there will be of someone getting the feeling that the staff is "conspiring" behind the scenes or showing blatant bias.

I would take the time to investigate this person's claims and consult with any staff members about any specific allegations this person may have brought up. Then, I would put together an answer to this person's complaints that cites specific facts and reasonings for why I am responding in the way that I am.

As far as why it is important to keep the staff discussions private, I feel like there are certain forum/site matters that should be discussed in private. Things like asking for assistance from fellow mods in dealing with situations should ideally take place behind the scenes. The response will be shared publicly, but the actual discussion of how to handle should be kept out of the public eye. I also feel like discussions about possible site improvements, changes, and/or enhancements should start in the private staff forums. The reason for this is because you don't want to get people's hopes up about certain things before they are agreed upon. I think once a decision is made behind the scenes about these changes then we can make them public and let the general community weigh in.

Finally: do you think you should have to watch what you say as a staff member in order to avoid potentially alienating members? If so; why? If not; why not?
My parents taught me "if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all". I think that's a lesson a lot of people today could learn from. I'm typically not one to badmouth anybody. I don't like people talking about me behind my back so I try to extend the same courtesy and not talk about anyone else behind their backs. That said, I do think it is incredibly important that anyone in a position of power, be it a mod of a forum, owner of a business, etc be aware of the things they say and how they are said. I sincerely try to to articulate things in the most inoffensive way I can. Sometimes, I can do so with great success, sometimes not so much. I'm guilty of fumbling around with my words sometimes. I'm human and I am going to make mistakes from time to time. For me, the key to overcoming these mistakes is to learn from each one and be man enough to admit when I'm wrong.

Last edited by vaderSW1; 04/18/2016 at 03:32 PM.
Thanked by 10:
Channy (04/18/2016), Chloe Frazer (04/23/2016), Doom Bunneh (04/20/2016), Flare (04/18/2016), Joe (04/18/2016), Lex (04/20/2016), Octo (04/23/2016), Starling (04/18/2016), Tennyo (04/18/2016), X-SOLDIER (04/22/2016)
Old 04/19/2016   #19
Mr. Ite

These are all fantastic answers, and I feel really confident in our mod candidates! And, now I feel less guilty about dropping out of the race. Stuff's come up. Thanks for the nom, and I'm super excited to vote!
Thanked by 5:
Channy (04/20/2016), Doom Bunneh (04/20/2016), Lex (04/20/2016), Tennyo (04/23/2016), vaderSW1 (04/20/2016)
Old 04/20/2016   #20
Lex

The only people still to answer are Lith, Satsu and Force, is that right? Ghost are you definitely dropping out?

Especially for me, by the awesome GLD!
Serving legendaries with mah Pokécrew.
Thanked by 2:
Doom Bunneh (04/20/2016), lithiumkatana17 (04/20/2016)
Old 04/20/2016   #21
lithiumkatana17

OH MY GOD I DIDN'T KNOW I WAS NOMINATED UNTIL I CLICKED IN HERE JUST TO BROWSE THE THREAD AND SAW MY NAME IN LEX'S POST AG;SRKBPUIWEGBNVCKVBNHESURG!!!!!!!!

I would step away from the situation for a little while and decide how to handle it best while I have a clear head. If I were uncertain on how to handle it, I would ask another Mod for advice. I'm not afraid to ask for help if I feel out of my depth; I just hope it's not confused with me passing off my problem onto someone else--cause I don't do dat.

I'm absolutely fine with it.

I'm fine with the way the forum is run now! I haven't run into any problems or seen anything that should be changed since I became active again on TLS last year.

I think the worst mistake you can make is taking a side with a particular member during the disagreement, no matter how much you think they may be right. To me, being a Mod means you now have to be impartial.

To fix that mistake, I would likely apologize to the member whose side I didn't take and then let both of those members know that what I did wasn't something a Mod should do, and not to expect it in the future.

I hope that's a good answer. It's a bit trickier to handle situations like that on the internet than in real life.

Mmm, this is a hard one. I would ask the member what their original problem was, because if they're making claims of bias, then I would assume that they've tried to ask for help before and didn't like the advice they received. I'd try and get to the root of the problem and give them a resolution that's as satisfactory to them as possible. But if they're just making claims of staff bias out of the blue and we can't figure out why, I'd recommend a temporary ban and see if that works. I'm sorry if that seems like it's jumping the gun, but if a member is spreading strife and discord around the forum, then I think they should either be asked to leave or suffer the ban hammer.

I do think the privacy of the staff section is important, because any problems that the staff may have, particularly with each other, should be addressed only with each other, lest we have members that try and exploit conflicts for their own gain. For the record, I don't believe anyone here would try and do that (or at least I've never seen it happen before), but I think problems or issues among the staff and on the site should be resolved among the staff. They're the staff for a reason after all.

I think you should have to watch what you say, because you're technically in a leadership position now, but I don't think you should have to be on your tiptoes around everyone. It's all about knowing your limits and knowing your members--being certain of what you can and can't say to them. And if there's any doubt at all, then it doesn't need to be said/typed, period.

To be fair, I think a lot of us have passed the point of no return--if TLS had an HR department we'd all have sexual harassment charges out the wazoo.

Lith and Kimble on Lith's promotion wrote: Kimble: With great power--
Lith: COMES GREAT FUCKERY!
Kimble: ...we're doomed.
X-SOLDIER wrote: Lith lives in the land of perpetual salt.
2017 1st Place Winner of Most Likely To Burn A Mountain Village Down Upon Discovering That They Are The Product Of A Science Experiment

Thanked by 10:
Channy (04/20/2016), Chloe Frazer (04/23/2016), Cthulhu (04/20/2016), Doom Bunneh (04/20/2016), Flare (04/20/2016), Lex (04/20/2016), Octo (04/23/2016), Tennyo (04/23/2016), vaderSW1 (04/20/2016), X-SOLDIER (04/22/2016)
Old 04/20/2016   #22
Ghost X

@Lex: Yes, confirmation on dropping out.

2017 1st Runner-Up -- Member You'd Most Want to Meet.

2017 1st Runner-Up -- Best Voice.

2017 2nd Place Winner -- Most Likely To Back Out Of A Fight But Remain... Victorious.
Thanked by 2:
Doom Bunneh (04/20/2016), Lex (04/20/2016)
Old 04/20/2016   #23
Lex

I've sent a VM to both Satsu and Force, I'll wait until midnight/ tomorrow before closing this thread and opening voting.

Thanked by 2:
Doom Bunneh (04/22/2016), Octo (04/20/2016)
Old 04/20/2016   #24
ForceStealer

I'm willing to step back into the role if it became necessary, but with these other candidates, I don't think that will be the case and I am more than happy to let someone else have a go round as a mod.
But just in case, I'll write up some answers, sorry for the delay.

Lex wrote: Being a Mod can be very frustrating at times, how will you handle situations where your patience will be tested?
It can be indeed. If I got too heated about something, I tried to recuse myself from whatever proceedings were happening and draft a previously uninvolved mod to weigh in or hand out any infractions or what have you, if necessary.

When it comes to something that involves everyone from the outset, it's best to make sure that cooler heads guide the conversation and only contribute what you absolutely feel you must.

I know I had varying degrees of success with these two things on my last term, depending on how strongly I felt about something. But I think I definitely improved at it as time went on, and I'm older now and everything, haha.

Lex wrote: Sometimes you have to be very plain speaking/blunt with members, while remaining respectful - how do you feel about this?
It was something I always aspired to. It's this ability that makes mods like X or Tres so good and respected as mods. Knowing precisely when to set aside the snark and plainly tell people if they're being ridiculous for these reasons.

Lex wrote: Do you think anything about the forum or how it is run should be changed? If so what/how?
Personally I very much like the way the board has been running for the last 2 years or so. That has coincided with a minimal amount of drama, but that's a bit of a chicken or the egg thing. Is there simply less drama that staff have benefited from, or were there things that would have exploded into drama in the old days that now pass on? I'm sure it's a bit of both, but I can definitely think of things that have occurred that would have been uglier before.

Lex wrote: In a scenario where two members are having a disagreement and ask for your help, what is the worst mistake you can make in your correspondence with them? Then, what's the right course of action to take?
Hm... Well, worst mistake would probably to immediately and unilaterally pick your side and come down like a ton of bricks on the other party. But I think it's also unwise to insist on complete impartiality no matter what the situation. If a compromise can be reached, then that's great and you should facilitate that. But if there's a decision to be made, you've been tasked as a mod to make it (with the input of your fellows, of course).

Lex wrote: How would you deal with a situation where a member tells you they don't trust any of the staff members - including you - and is publicly making false claims about staff bias?
I guess it depends how unflappable they are about it. The immediate onus would be to try and determine the cause and offer something to try and ameliorate the issue. But there's a point of course where they would just cross into disruptive and the needs of the many and all that.
That's always a tough a situation because any infraction/ban action you take will always provide then with ammo to their own point. That you're merely trying to "silence the detractors." So you'll have to be as open as possible with everyone possible and hope that the people that chose you still have the trust in you to make those calls.

Lex wrote: Why do you think the privacy of the staff section is important?
Because, really, when staff do need to discuss the actions of a certain member, that stuff isn't always anyone else's business but staff and the user/group in question. Also coordinating forum stuff for which there's no need to clutter the main boards.

I think it was Joe that said further up, the people that have a problem with this never appreciate just how boring it is in there.

Lex wrote: Finally: do you think you should have to watch what you say as a staff member in order to avoid potentially alienating members? If so; why? If not; why not?.
This was, honestly, the trickiest part for me when I was mod before. I'm of two minds about it. On the one hand, of course you should be extra accommodating and welcoming as a staff member. Then there's the concept of setting the tone for the board and all this.
On the other hand, the mods are just people self selected out of the group, it's not like there's an actual standard of representation they're adhering to. They're not politicians that have to interact with foreign dignitaries...they're mods on a Final Fantasy board. I think that your ACTIONS as a mod likely set the tone of the boards more than your words.

That said, some of the old mods like Mako and Dacon, (who were great fun!) definitely presided over a more abrasive staff and board. But again you have the chicken or the egg thing, did staff need to be more abrasive because the members were more combative? Or vice versa?

So, yeah, I go in circles on this one. I suppose that, basically: Yes, I think staff should make an effort to conduct themselves well for the sake of board reputation, but neither do I think should they be restricted, friendly, but humorless drones that have to constantly walk on eggshells.

Just like everything else - it's a balance. I'm a big fan of moderation (lolpun).

There you go

hitoshura wrote: Don't belittle my peoples, bitch. We work hard and we do what we're told. And might possibly be Scottish.
ultima espio wrote: I'm not sure if it was a BOMB, it could have been MAKO, KING, BEST, or ORBS.
Thanked by 10:
AvecAloes (04/20/2016), Channy (04/20/2016), Chloe Frazer (04/23/2016), Doom Bunneh (04/22/2016), Flare (04/20/2016), Joe (04/21/2016), Lex (04/20/2016), Octo (04/20/2016), Tennyo (04/22/2016), X-SOLDIER (04/22/2016)
Old 04/22/2016   #25
Lex

Still awaiting satsu's advocate, if he hasn't caught my PM by the end of today then we'll just have to commence voting without his question round.

Thanked by:
Doom Bunneh (04/22/2016)
Old 04/23/2016   #26
Hisako

WOT FUCK

RIP in peace old sig lolol 04/2015

Don't believe your eyes? Don't be surprised.

Thanked by 5:
Channy (04/23/2016), Joe (04/23/2016), Lex (04/23/2016), Octo (04/23/2016), X-SOLDIER (04/23/2016)
Old 04/23/2016   #27
Hisako

Answering these questions was surprisingly a lot of fun and felt pretty introspective! I'm not exactly sure how much of a difference I'd make to the forum, but I guess I'd give it my best shot and step down if I fuck up,

[*]Being a Mod can be very frustrating at times, how will you handle situations where your patience will be tested?
As plenty of people have said, there are times where people in leadership positions just have to step back for a moment. The mods here are a team and work as a team - people shouldn't have to deal with shit alone. My method of dealing with problem customers on a day to day basis is just to lay out the law in the most neutral way possible, run by common sense and defer to people when I get too personal in the matter - and in many situations there's always the danger of things getting too personal. Doubly so for the internet, I guess.

[*]Sometimes you have to be very plain speaking/blunt with members, while remaining respectful - how do you feel about this?
I don't feel like this is as much of an issue in a close-knit fan-based forum than it is in the every day world.

Obviously there are boundaries to be established and respected, and violations of those boundaries need to be dealt with all Priority Number One-like, but most of the time genuine malicious intent doesn't exist, and a mod should be tough because they want the member to stay and contribute.
The resolution of the issue should be the priority - "What are you looking for? Here's what I can do for you. Here are your options, and let's head back to the table if you really don't like what you see."

[*]Do you think anything about the forum or how it is run should be changed? If so what/how?
I guess the main beef all the way back when was transparency, but what little I've seen being dealt with on the surface seems civil and structured enough. I suppose if I was on the inside I'd probably offer more opinion on the matter though

[*]In a scenario where two members are having a disagreement and ask for your help, what is the worst mistake you can make in your correspondence with them? Then, what's the right course of action to take?
When two members are having a disagreement the worst mistake is having a personal stake in the problem and tackling it alone. Perhaps that might be somewhat unavoidable given how close people are here, but like in any professional occupation, there needs to be a disconnect between personal opinions and feelings and professional judgement. Privacy must be respected, but I think if a mod is ever at risk of being emotionally involved, the dispute needs to be partly handled by a consensus with other mods.

[*]How would you deal with a situation where a member tells you they don't trust any of the staff members - including you - and is publicly making false claims about staff bias?
In the pharmacy where I work at, we sometimes invite our customers into the dispensary when they have a running dispute. Often they're disputing whether or not they took something back from their prescriptions on file. Sometimes they want to know why so-and-so medication is being recorded, and they want to know why we're keeping such personal information about them.
We keep records for 2 years, sometimes more - security footage, patient history, everything. Keeping records and having openness at appropriate times is key (and in pharmacy keeps everyone in the clear legally). I imagine accusations of bias or untrustworthiness should be handled similarly.

That isn't to say that everyone needs to know at all times how the sausage is made at the factory (I'm gonna segue into the next question like a boss! ), but false accusations should be countered with simple truths and openness. "Hey, here's the chatlog for the decisions behind why you received so-and-so treatment, but if you really can't reconcile this with your emotional involvement in the matter, you're absolutely free to try and reconcile with it away from the forums for a while. Feel free to include this as evidence along with your other claims."

[*]Why do you think the privacy of the staff section is important?
I think sometimes it's easy to draw false conclusions from the way people say things in private. People exaggerate, they overshoot the mark, make retractions, say things they wouldn't say in public, or don't actually mean. A debate in-progress could be misconstrued or assumed to come to a specific conclusion that might not actually happen. Moderation is a serious duty, but a duty that should be audited to improve its end result, not for the minutiae of its procedures.

A person should be given the time and space to separate their personal voice from their professional judgement, and a private section in the forum gives them the opportunity to do just that.

[*]Finally: do you think you should have to watch what you say as a staff member in order to avoid potentially alienating members? If so; why? If not; why not?
Tentative yes?
Staff should be representative of what other members should aspire to be. That isn't to say that we should police what we say as Forum-tron 2000s - it's okay to talk like yourself, like any other member - just as a member who follows the rules and makes genuine amends where the rules have been broken.
tl;dr, Don't be a dick.

RIP in peace old sig lolol 04/2015

Don't believe your eyes? Don't be surprised.

Thanked by 6:
Chloe Frazer (04/23/2016), Flare (04/23/2016), Lex (04/23/2016), Octo (04/23/2016), Tennyo (04/23/2016), X-SOLDIER (04/23/2016)
Old 04/23/2016   #28
Lex

Fab, we officially have ten candidates. Voting will begin soon

Thanked by 7:
Chloe Frazer (04/23/2016), Cthulhu (04/23/2016), Dawnbreaker (04/23/2016), Flare (04/23/2016), lithiumkatana17 (04/23/2016), Octo (04/23/2016), X-SOLDIER (04/23/2016)
Closed Thread