The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.


Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Site, Forums, Staff & Projects > Forum News & Information

Forum News & Information News and issues concerning the forums go here

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 06/12/2012   #31
Max Payne
Default

Akuto Sai wrote: Then whats so different about a hidden section? If the suggested venue for them to talk it out is still a private one that doesnt involve the rest of the forum then is a mod section hidden away for those instances so bad?
You know what.

It becomes a crutch, a dependency for people to go and hide from people when shit goes down.

Using MSN or some other medium for communication maybe be harder, but it is only as a necessity. In an uncommon situation like the one Road mentioned earlier.

It's not something for you to do every damn day. Only the rarest of situations should call for mods to actively hide themselves away from the board.

Last edited by Max Payne; 06/12/2012 at 05:28 AM.
Max Payne is offline  
Thanked by 4:
Celes Chere (06/12/2012), Marle (06/13/2012), Serah Farron (06/12/2012), Zee (06/12/2012)
Old 06/12/2012   #32
Cookie Monster
Default

Frog wrote: I think that the problem people are having with "public feedback" is that they are concerned about reprisals - be it insults, passive-aggressive treatment, friendships ruined, whatever - and if people have issues with talking to staff about things like that, a hidden forum that is going to expose them like that is no different than sending a PM to all of staff or whatever, because names and reputations and whatever opinion has been formed of this person is going to come into play instead of this person having their fair shake.

idk
But if we handle these issues like goddamn adults and come to terms with each other, I think all that damage can be repaired. If there isn't any communication at all, then nothing changes. You'll still feel whatever disconnect your feeling with staff or any other member. Something has to give.
Cookie Monster is offline  
Thanked by:
The Man (06/12/2012)
Old 06/12/2012   #33
Omega
Default

Well, that's good in theory, but...well, I'll be the one to address the elephant in the room. How well has that been working for everyone so far? Things don't seem to get handled to...well, ANYONE's satisfaction, members' OR staffs'.

And healing damage? That's just being unrealistic, I think. Being civil is one thing, but actually making everything better? Call me pessimistic, but I don't really see it happening, man.
Omega is offline  
Thanked by 10:
Alessa Gillespie (06/12/2012), Celes Chere (06/12/2012), CK (06/12/2012), looneymoon (06/12/2012), Madame Mayor (06/12/2012), Makoeyes987 (06/12/2012), Marle (06/13/2012), Max Payne (06/12/2012), Serah Farron (06/12/2012), Zee (06/12/2012)
Old 06/12/2012   #34
looneymoon
Default

Thor wrote: As good as it sounds, I'm not sure if complete transparency will work. Say something like what happened back it January goes down again. Where exactly is staff supposed to communicate while everyone else is flipping the fuck out?
Well shouldn't staff be solving issues parallel to the memberbase? Why would it be necessary for staff to talk in a secular section if everyone has the opportunity to speak for themselves.
__________________
♦♦♦♦♦♦


looneymoon is offline  
Thanked by 5:
Alessa Gillespie (06/12/2012), Celes Chere (06/12/2012), Marle (06/13/2012), Serah Farron (06/12/2012), Zee (06/12/2012)
Old 06/12/2012   #35
Cookie Monster
Default

Magus wrote: You know what.

It becomes a crutch, a dependency for people to go and hide from people when shit goes down.

Using MSN or some other medium for communication maybe be harder, but it is only as a necessity. In an uncommon situation like the one Road mentioned earlier.

It's not something for you to do every damn day. Only the rarest of situations should call for mods to active hide themselves away from the board.
Remember, this is a service we're volunteering to provide. We all have irl shit to deal with, we don't need anything making things even more difficult around here. The staff section has never been some elitest club where we go to talk shit all day. If a report is made we discuss the report and nothing else. If we think so and so is Username or a bot, we go to the Staff Chat Thread (No worries, it's not a chit chat thread ) and let everyone know to keep an eye on that specific member. If we get rid of the section entirely, there's no way for us to keep track of what's been going on.
Cookie Monster is offline  
Old 06/12/2012   #36
looneymoon
Default

So what's the problem with people being able to at least see it? :T
__________________
♦♦♦♦♦♦


looneymoon is offline  
Thanked by 8:
Alessa Gillespie (06/12/2012), Celes Chere (06/12/2012), Literally Who? (06/12/2012), Madame Mayor (06/12/2012), Marle (06/13/2012), Serah Farron (06/12/2012), Sheva Alomar (06/12/2012), Zee (06/12/2012)
Old 06/12/2012   #37
Max Payne
Default

Thor wrote: Remember, this is a service we're volunteering to provide. We all have irl shit to deal with, we don't need anything making things even more difficult around here
Thank you for for patronizingly pointing out the obvious. I dont see how a transparent staff section would make things more difficult, if nothing that would upset people was going on in it.

The staff section has never been some elitest club where we go to talk shit all day.
Yeah, it's just an elitist club where people SOMETIMES go to talk shit. I know, I was there and I did it.

If a report is made we discuss the report and nothing else.
Yeah and I've seen people go off into tangents about how this member in particular was pissing them off or how their report was bullshit because of some other perceived bias. More than just the report in question gets discussed.


If we get rid of the section entirely, there's no way for us to keep track of what's been going on.
I dont believe this shit at all. There is always a way, whether it's through some on site system or not.

I've said my piece about this, carry on.
Max Payne is offline  
Thanked by 7:
Alessa Gillespie (06/12/2012), Bex (06/12/2012), Celes Chere (06/12/2012), CK (06/12/2012), Marle (06/13/2012), Serah Farron (06/12/2012), Zee (06/12/2012)
Old 06/12/2012   #38
Cookie Monster
Default

Panda's Mom wrote: Well shouldn't staff be solving issues parallel to the memberbase? Why would it be necessary for staff to talk in a secular section if everyone has the opportunity to speak for themselves.
That becomes near impossible when everyone is at each other's throat. And it's not like we know what to do right away when something happens. We discuss, provide suggestions, etc. We won't be able to do that if we have 25+ plus members screaming for so an so to get banned or infracted or whatever.

Last edited by Cookie Monster; 06/12/2012 at 06:31 AM.
Cookie Monster is offline  
Old 06/12/2012   #39
Literally Who?
Default

Panda's Mom wrote: So what's the problem with people being able to at least see it? :T
Even if we did get to see it theres not much to prevent the fact there could very well be another hidden section to use
Literally Who? is offline  
Old 06/12/2012   #40
Max Payne
Default

Thor wrote: We discuss, provide suggestions, etc. We won't be able to do that if we have 25+ plus members screaming for so an so to get banned or infracted or whatever.
When's this ever happened?

When have 25+ members ever been involved in drama anyway?
Max Payne is offline  
Thanked by 3:
Celes Chere (06/12/2012), Marle (06/13/2012), Serah Farron (06/12/2012)
Old 06/12/2012   #41
Max Payne
Default

Akuto Sai wrote: Even if we did get to see it theres not much to prevent the fact there could very well be another hidden section to use
WHO ARE THE PATRIOTS
Max Payne is offline  
Thanked by 8:
Alessa Gillespie (06/12/2012), Celes Chere (06/12/2012), Literally Who? (06/12/2012), looneymoon (06/12/2012), Marle (06/13/2012), Serah Farron (06/12/2012), Sheva Alomar (06/12/2012), Tetsujin (06/12/2012)
Old 06/12/2012   #42
Cookie Monster
Default

Magus wrote: When's this ever happened?

When have 25+ members ever been involved in drama anyway?
That bullshit in January, which even spilled onto another forum. Everyone wanted Ryu's head on a fucking platter.
Cookie Monster is offline  
Old 06/12/2012   #43
Max Payne
Default

Thor wrote: That bullshit in January, which even spilled onto another forum. Everyone wanted Ryu's head on a fucking platter.
Okay, what 25 members?

Who demanded he be banned?
Max Payne is offline  
Thanked by 2:
Marle (06/13/2012), Serah Farron (06/12/2012)
Old 06/12/2012   #44
looneymoon
Default

Thor wrote: That becomes near impossible when everyone is at each other's throat. And it's like we know what to do right away when something happens. We discuss, provide suggestions, etc. We won't be able to do that if we have 25+ plus members screaming for so an so to get banned or infracted or whatever.
So then make the staff section open, but unable to post in. Why the insistence on keeping it private? It seems wildly unnecessary.

What if a member has a problem with a staff member? So staff has a little section where they can air their grievances in their own little private club, while the rest of the regular members are completely in the dark. Sounds terribly productive.
__________________
♦♦♦♦♦♦


looneymoon is offline  
Thanked by 6:
Alessa Gillespie (06/12/2012), Celes Chere (06/12/2012), Madame Mayor (06/12/2012), Marle (06/13/2012), Serah Farron (06/12/2012), Zee (06/12/2012)
Old 06/12/2012   #45
Cookie Monster
Default

Panda's Mom wrote: So then make the staff section open, but unable to post in. Why the insistence on keeping it private? It seems wildly unnecessary.

What if a member has a problem with a staff member? So staff has a little section where they can air their grievances in their own little private club, while the rest of the regular members are completely in the dark. Sounds terribly productive.
It's not a private little club, lol. And that's what the new section is for.
Cookie Monster is offline  
Thanked by:
Lex (06/12/2012)
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:46 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.